IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Yus! I beat the game but didn't manage to beat the true last boss.

UU8mVjg.png

8ZiiUoX.png

I like the way this game does it, it says you've beaten the game, you get to achievement for doing that and then it shows your score and then it's like "reet, try and beat the TLB", so you're not in any doubt. It's still a 1cc.

I'm guessing to get the true last boss, you just have to, you know how you speedkill certain enemies and get those question mark pickups, you get 3 of them and then face a miniboss and when you beat it it says "data acquired" or something? I think you've just got to do that a certain number of times during your game.

Game is fab!

edit: Beat the true last boss! You can get extra lives sometimes from the pickups, if you leave them long enough they turn green, sometimes they go off screen before they turn green though so you have to be careful!

I had loads of lives on that run.

kqptFgd.png

Picked up Sol Cresta on Steam.

It’s… ok.

Some weird stuff going on with graphics - there were no resolution options I could see, and there was some strange artifacting/shimmering throughout, as if something is up with scaling.

Gameplay is… ok.

Music is… ok.

The game really made me miss CAVE.

I got the five finger discount version yesterday because I was sure I would hate it, and you know what? I find it surprisingly fun to play!
The game is pretty easy but the final stage is like where you escape and it scrolls really quickly and that ate all of my lives!

I'll play it again today, hopefully get to see what the second loop is like. If hard mode cranks things up nicely, I think I'll have to buy it.

While I think 30 quid would be asking far too little for a lot of shmups, this should definitely have been in the 7 to 15 quid range.

It's good fun changing your guy to match the colour of the little bonus things, and for switching your weapon, the yellow guy is good when there are rocks and stone obstacles. Red is good for those shield enemies and blue is a good all-rounder with homing missiles.

Trying out the different special formation on the bosses is fun as well. The red triangle makes you turn into a phoenix and you're invincible and you just go and sit on the bastard until he carks it.

Even the combo's are well done. You have a rapid shot, shot, and formation button. So you're just holding rapid all the time, and when you want to pull off a combo, you keep the rapid shot held down, and for example, do a quick full circle and whack the shot button and you shoot a load of missiles out in a circle, or if an enemy is behind you you press up, down and then shot and it'll shoot a few bullet backwards.

It seems really forgiving with the timing and execution, like the game goes "aye, I know what you were going for there buddy".

You get these special moves to use as you play and once you've used it, it's gone until you earn another. It feels like something you don't have to engage with at all, but it's a fun little addition.

I honestly thought this was going to be a disaster, so maybe I'm just pleasantly surprised, but aye, it's fun!

I think my goodwill might have dried up. Game just made me sit there playing for like 3 hours or something, game looped and then there was another loop.
I got to 3-5 before I died.

I mean it's not as if the game isn't too long already!

lXYdC1v.jpg

I'm not sure how it works, but I've unlocked hard and platinum hard, so maybe you just go up to the next difficulty when you beat it? That's just stupid.

FpwLaa2.jpg

So if I want to try for the top of the leaderboard on normal I have to set aside 3 fucking hours or something?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

7 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I got the five finger discount version yesterday because I was sure I would hate it, and you know what? I find it surprisingly fun to play!
The game is pretty easy but the final stage is like where you escape and it scrolls really quickly and that ate all of my lives!

I'll play it again today, hopefully get to see what the second loop is like. If hard mode cranks things up nicely, I think I'll have to buy it.

While I think 30 quid would be asking far too little for a lot of shmups, this should definitely have been in the 7 to 15 quid range.

It's good fun changing your guy to match the colour of the little bonus things, and for switching your weapon, the yellow guy is good when there are rocks and stone obstacles. Red is good for those shield enemies and blue is a good all-rounder with homing missiles.

Trying out the different special formation on the bosses is fun as well. The red triangle makes you turn into a phoenix and you're invincible and you just go and sit on the bastard until he carks it.

Even the combo's are well done. You have a rapid shot, shot, and formation button. So you're just holding rapid all the time, and when you want to pull off a combo, you keep the rapid shot held down, and for example, do a quick full circle and whack the shot button and you shoot a load of missiles out in a circle, or if an enemy is behind you you press up, down and then shot and it'll shoot a few bullet backwards.

It seems really forgiving with the timing and execution, like the game goes "aye, I know what you were going for there buddy".

You get these special moves to use as you play and once you've used it, it's gone until you earn another. It feels like something you don't have to engage with at all, but it's a fun little addition.

I honestly thought this was going to be a disaster, so maybe I'm just pleasantly surprised, but aye, it's fun!

Yeah, I'm also finding myself quite fond of it. Although unlike you I'm unlikely to be beating it unless easy or very easy are especially generous, so will likely not feel the multi-loop pain! But I like that it has some original ideas and doesn't just feel like 'another' indie shmup (not to degrade indie shmups, many of which are terrific). Roll back the clock 20+ years and I can see this on the cover of CVG or Mean Machines and the whole playground is arguing about whether the SNES or Mega Drive version is best. Guess maybe because it's from Platinum it just has a different feel, while Hamster ensures that the fundamentals are there.

Yeah, I haven't written it off completely.
It is surprisingly fun to play.

Some of the music is fantastic and I love that little fanfair they play when you get a bonus.

If my theory is right that it just sticks you at the start of the next difficulty up, and that's how the game loops, then playing platinum hard would be an easy fix to my problem, assuming the game doesn't loop once you beat it in that mode, and it does ramp things up nicely, your special formations last a pitiful amount of time, there are a lot more bullets and it's a lot harder to recover from losing ships. I think you only have a slot for one shield as well.

The game is already like an hour long as it is. Well into console shmup territory. Maybe they should have asked if you wanted to loop and have a separate leaderboard.
Three fucking hours is a bit much to ask of anyone.
Who knows, my theory might be wrong and it might just loop indefinitely! Maybe platinum are like Yagawa and hate people that play for score so want to punish them as much as possible :D

:)

I'm bashing away at Mushihimesama on steam (Normal original). Level 4 boss is my best 1 credit run so far.  I've 1CCed it on Novice but that mode is a bit too easy.

I'm also putting a few credits into Normal Maniac just for fun.

Between times I'm trying to get the Layer Section monkey off my back : getting to level 6 on 1 credit but that is one bitch of a level to try and get through even with 1 life loss. Have been at this for a long time on and off ever since I got the Saturn port several years ago.

Oh, hiya, Davy! I've seen you around the far flung corners of the net in various shmup threads going years back :D

Layer Section looks fun, I'll have to give that a try at some point!

Steam page for Andro Dunos II is up, from the developers of infinos gaiden - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1856900/Andro_Dunos_II/

Space Dragons is out in early access, from the Q-Yo developers but don't let that put you off. The demo on itch was alright. - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1862530/Space_Dragons/

Demo - https://teamblackhatrobot.itch.io/space-dragons

Ikusaaaaaaan looks like it might be launching soon, unless the date was just a placeholder - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848730/IKUSAAAAAAAN/

Hi @ImmaculateClump:)

Yeah. I've been around. A long time.

My finger has been hovering over the Sol Cresta buy button but there's too many things being said about it that makes me hold back - not least of all the loop play time length. £30 quid too for a digital game? I'm too set in my ways. Happy to pay that, and more,  for a physical shmup. Will keep an eye on it.

Heard the odd rumour of a Layer Section remake - hoping it isn't another one of those Cotton/Saturn emu hatchet jobs though. :(

18 hours ago, davyK said:

there's too many things being said about it that makes me hold back - not least of all the loop play time length.

I watched Mark's initial impressions video the other night and he mentioned that Jaimers got onto loop 7 before it crashed, so it looks like it might just keep going forever :S

It's fun playing for survival on the harder modes, but yeah, get that endless looping shit right outta my life.

Ikusaaaaaaan out now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848730/IKUSAAAAAAAN/

Blimey! Terarin doesn't hang about, does he? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1921840/Terra_Flame/

It's taken me over 30 years and I've sacked off a fair few games to fund it but I now own this beauty. It's in absolutely amazing condition too. There's a small crease in the spine sleeve and a stain inside the sleeve.

Very nice indeed.

I wasn't a Megadrive owner in the 90s. I was on the SNES side - purely because I was more into that style of game. So my MD collection is spartan and the games I want now (like Slap Fight) go for a King's Ransom.

I picked up a repro of MUSHA though - as I like playing on hardware over emulating and it works great. I don't want to go overboard doing that but for the real high price items it's a workable alterative.

43 minutes ago, davyK said:

Very nice indeed.

I wasn't a Megadrive owner in the 90s. I was on the SNES side - purely because I was more into that style of game. So my MD collection is spartan and the games I want now (like Slap Fight) go for a King's Ransom.

I picked up a repro of MUSHA though - as I like playing on hardware over emulating and it works great. I don't want to go overboard doing that but for the real high price items it's a workable alterative.

A lot of people collect the bootlegs. Hopefully Gleylance will get a re-release (I missed the reissue)

• 2 weeks later...

Stainless Night - https://stainless.booth.pm/items/3708381

This is great fun, you suck in the coins when you're not shooting, but wait until you've collected them because shooting too early will make them disappear!

I've uploaded the current build to gofile to save you setting up an account if you don't have one - https://gofile.io/d/OxZCNf

Press escape for fullscreen and f1 for options.

Yeah, it's alright, innit? Huge improvement on their previous game. I've only played through it the once, but the scoring was fun, I'll definitely be going back once they're further along.

They say the price will be going up once the game leaves early access, so if anyone is waiting for that, may as well get it now for a couple quid.

Have you played Rolling Gunner before? If not, it's bastard hard, don't start on normal! Casual feels like a nice balance, but there's a novice mode as well if that mode gives you some gyp.

New version of Spitfire Paradise out with a new stage - https://crows-nest.itch.io/spitfire-paradise

Assault Shell 2 trailer

That daft snail game is loads of fun :D

There's a score to beat.

dhQP8p1.png

Snail is so cute. I love the voice.

TTiAS4d.png

Shmup Creator is out, 50 of your earth pounds - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289520/SHMUP_Creator/

I'll be getting it no doubt, but the only review at the minute is a guy saying it crashed at startup, so I might wait a day or two and see how things pan out. I'd want it to be stable, don't want to have to be saving every five minutes.