IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

I've credit fed them both a long time ago, 3rd was great. 2nd took me a little while to get the hang of, I spent a lot of time thinking it was really difficult and I was awful at it and then realised I was routinely making it 80% through the game on one credit.

I'm still dying too often to momentary lapses in concentration which result in me thinking I'm the other colour though 👀

Started playing Dairus Cosmic Collection Arcade on my Switch last night. I somehow just got a casual 1CC on Gaiden after deciding to mess with the routes as I kept getting game overs on Zone K.

A-C-F-J-N-S-X. Those last three were my first goes on them. The “harder” levels might suit me better as I get to power up faster which works for me as I don’t milk score.

I’m going to become very found of Darius Gaiden. The design is focused on features from the first two games and uses very few gimmicks. Each stage has a certain concept it is built around but said concepts are introduced in places where the uninformed player may just lose their shield as opposed to straight up dying.

I can see why it gets so much praise, definitely a classic. Also the soundtrack is amazing, the space opera vibe really helps me get into it.

Oh, wow! Nice one. We played that for a high score competition back when r/shmups was semi-groovy.

I always just went with ABDGLQV. So you reckon some of the harder stages aren't that bad? I've bought the arcade collection on steam and haven't really spent much time with it yet, just tried out the first game.

Looking forward to jumping back into gaiden, and G-Darius HD when that comes out. I always just stuck to the easy routes, so there's loads more game to discover in those two.

Yeah, Gaiden is cool, though I think I prefer G-Darius just a little bit.

Yeah, the music is great, and the game is genuinely trippy at times!

Y’know how the Capcom Collection got slated on release for Progear being a bit input laggy and having odd display issues?  By all accounts the display stuff got fixed (certainly seems that way) but has anyone tested input lag since?

Also, has anyone out there 1cc’d it via Capcom Stadium (Switch)? Are replays a thing on there? I can’t remember. 

Yeah, they were really good fun. Shame the mod is a bellend, as it's still the most read shmups subreddit.

I don't post there any more on principle, but I see Mark is still shilling his wares on there, despite being one of the subreddits most vocal critics.

It looks like most people missed out on all the drama and didn't get the memo about r/shmupchumps :(

It's by far the grooviest of the new ones, but the community has fractured even more now.

H66Awap.png

Yes, finally feel like I'm making progress again in the caravan mode!

17 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, they were really good fun. Shame the mod is a bellend, as it's still the most read shmups subreddit.

I don't post there any more on principle, but I see Mark is still shilling his wares on there, despite being one of the subreddits most vocal critics.

It looks like most people missed out on all the drama and didn't get the memo about r/shmupchumps :(

It's by far the grooviest of the new ones, but the community has fractured even more now.

I know nowt of any of this, but I'd often wondered if there was a reason why the shmups subreddit was so pants.

Yeah, the guy would delete content randomly and ban people willy nilly, and there seemed to be little if any method to his madness.

Emulation discussion was banned, but, for example, with the gaiden competition, this was before that game had any sort of home release so we were all playing on mame and discussing autofire settings and stuff and that thread got pinned.

Then he banned morsalty without warning for saying to someone "I would go with original hardware if you can. Emulation for that system isn't great" or words to that effect.
Just madness.

I can remember mentioning a couple of times to him in the past that the rules seemed a little draconian and old fashioned, but he wasn't having it.

I'd started a few threads myself that got deleted and I asked him about it and he was like "ah, sorry, I must have done it accidentally when I was on a deleting spree" and gave me this "approved user" status where all my posts would go through automatically and not get flagged or something.

So he knew he was deleting lots of legit threads and just didn't care. Loads of small indie devs were complaining that they came there to show their game, something 80% of the community would have been interested in and he's just like "no, no advertising today" and fucked them off.

Someone sent me a message last year after they got banned, turns out the three mods were all the same guy :D

HAYoKpD.png

Morsalty was a relatively new player, but he was naturally skilled and friendly and everyone had warmed to him straight off the bat and he'd never been anything other than helpful, so people just rallied around when that happened.

Everyone was like "nah, fuck this, it's gone on long enough" and boycotted the subreddit, and the mod got pissed and locked it for a month since scamps were posting about emulation on purpose, but you know, like trying to show him how crazy his rules were, like going "oh wow, the emulation on this new M2 release is crazy good!"

Someone said they looked at the guys post history and he was big in those incel subreddits before they all got nuked. It was just a mess. The guy doesn't even play shmups anymore, and no one knows if he ever did, he's just on a power trip.

Shinorubi is out now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1665900/SHINORUBI/

One of those G-Mode things came out - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815030/GMODE/

Looks like Grand Cross is out at 10am, but sometimes those countdowns are all bollocksed - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

Wow, Grand Cross: Renovation is crazy.

Man, that's such an adventure! You can tell they put loads of work into that! I'm still not entirely sure what's going on, I was only using two buttons, I couldn't really tell what the others did, if anything, I was shooting and using the laserblade thing and I didn't feel the need to rotate it except for a couple of bits near the end, so I've no idea what that score is like.

kOqc1kJ.png

Shinorubi has some readability issues, big time, like your bullets covering enemy bullets and lasers, bullets the same colour as pick ups, loads of unnecessary graphical effect, and the movement is additive rather than normalized at the minute and the diagonals are hella fast. I'm surprised that made it into early access especially how many beta and review copies they've been throwing out. It worries me that these guys don't really play the genre.

We'll see, there's a lot of issues at the minute, but that's what early access is for. It's alright so far.

When you build up your hyper all the bullets turn into stars that you can pick up, I ran into a bunch of stars to pick them up during the boss and died :S There are a lot of "hhhhwhat the fuck killed me" moments. I'll wait until they've fixed the movement at least before jumping back in.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Wow, Grand Cross: Renovation is crazy.

Man, that's such an adventure! You can tell they put loads of work into that! I'm still not entirely sure what's going on, I was only using two buttons, I couldn't really tell what the others did, if anything, I was shooting and using the laserblade thing and I didn't feel the need to rotate it except for a couple of bits near the end, so I've no idea what that score is like.

Shinorubi has some readability issues, big time, like your bullets covering enemy bullets and lasers, bullets the same colour as pick ups, loads of unnecessary graphical effect, and the movement is additive rather than normalized at the minute and the diagonals are hella fast. I'm surprised that made it into early access especially how many beta and review copies they've been throwing out. It worries me that these guys don't really play the genre.

We'll see, there's a lot of issues at the minute, but that's what early access is for. It's alright so far.

When you build up your hyper all the bullets turn into stars that you can pick up, I ran into a bunch of stars to pick them up during the boss and died :S There are a lot of "hhhhwhat the fuck killed me" moments. I'll wait until they've fixed the movement at least before jumping back in.

Yeah, I couldn't tell what the other two mapped buttons in Grand Cross were doing! And I'm glad it's not just me with Shinorubi - I was really pumped for that game but a few things about it don't quite feel right. Fingers crossed it really is a proper Early Access release and they manage to iron out the niggles.

Yeah, hopefully they listen to all the feedback. I think there's a decent game there underneath all the jank, and they just have to spend that early access time chipping all that away.
Apparently they've sorted the digital controls now, so I'll try it again later.

New demo to try. 雷鸟Thunderbird - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1847380/Thunderbird/

I've changed my mind about collecting every Switch physical release. I've just stopped playing Aces Of The Luftwaffe and it's completely terrible. It has interesting ideas, but its craft are sluggish and some of the bosses are impossibly unfair. Turns out it started off life as an iPad game with a focus on grinding. Sod that. It's gone on the sell pile with Super Epic.

On 20/01/2022 at 11:29, phillv85 said:

Amazon and Thegamecollection both have Cotton Fantasy (Western release of Rock n Roll) up for pre-order.

Excellent. I can wait a few more months rather than paying the £55-odd quid it will cost to import from Play Asia. Cheers for the heads up.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

New demo to try. 雷鸟Thunderbird - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1847380/Thunderbird/

This is good fun! Looking forward to the full release. It has like a crisis wing mechanic where you set off your hyper and run into the bullets.

There's a score to beat for hard mode.

ImMkufB.png

They've fixed the controls in Shinorubi, it feels a lot better. Try the easy mode, it's more or less the same but you get autobomb, and feels a lot less frustrating when you explode for no discernable reason :D

1 hour ago, strider said:

I've changed my mind about collecting every Switch physical release. I've just stopped playing Aces Of The Luftwaffe and it's completely terrible. It has interesting ideas, but its craft are sluggish and some of the bosses are impossibly unfair. Turns out it started off life as an iPad game with a focus on grinding. Sod that. It's gone on the sell pile with Super Epic.

Probably for the best. I was playing Earth Atlantis on the PS4, honestly it's worth a couple of quid, but if the physical release is expensive it's a total waste of money. I'm buying pretty much any physical shooter that gets a retail release, but I wouldn't go back now and try to hunt down shite rarities :lol:

Just now, phillv85 said:

Probably for the best. I was playing Earth Atlantis on the PS4, honestly it's worth a couple of quid, but if the physical release is expensive it's a total waste of money. I'm buying pretty much any physical shooter that gets a retail release, but I wouldn't go back now and try to hunt down shite rarities :lol:

Earth Atlantis is getting a US release soon and it's around 45 Canadian dollars. I'm quite tempted by it personally.

Steam page for that Valfaris shmup sequel is up - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647920/Valfaris_Mecha_Therion/

Could go either way, looks like analogue movement, but that melee combat looks fun!

Haven't tried this sneaky peak yet, but it looks like the bullet hell tennis game none of us knew we needed 10S FOREVER - https://owch.itch.io/10s3

Operation STEEL in a couple of days - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489300/Operation_STEEL/

Oh, and this is looking good! Hazelnut Hex

LAYER SECTION LET'S GOOO

The Taiwan Digital Game Rating Committee has rated Layer Section & Galactic Attack S-Tribute for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch. It is published by City Connection. Galactic Attack is a shoot ’em up released for Sega Saturn on September 14, 1995 in Japan. Ported by Ving, it is a console version of the Taito-developed arcade game RayForce. While it was released as Galactic Attack in the west, it was titled Layer Section in Japan.

Layer Section & Galactic Attack S-Tribute has yet to be officially announced by City Connection.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/02/layer-section-galactic-attack-s-tribute-rated-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-switch-in-taiwan

Spent last night modding my Mayflash F500 with Seimitsu parts (LS-40 stick, PS-14-G buttons, bat top). It plays BEAUTIFULLY. Opted for Seimitsu over Sanwa as the tighter throw works well for shmups imo. Am gonna install a Miles Morales background, hence the colours.

IMG_1639.thumb.jpg.00099c895b051b73e1b0aaabc1055321.jpg

That's a shame :( At least they did a good job with the first game, I suppose. It could have been worse.

@Qazimod Don't shoot the messenger, but it looks like that'll be using the same emulator as their other saturn tribute releases. Might want to wait and see what the early impressions are like.

@immortaljellyfish Nice! The LS-40 is the bomb diggity.

Graze Counter GM version demo is up - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486440/Graze_Counter_GM/

Sol Cresta steam page is up - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1575640/SOL_CRESTA/

Hoping this plays better than it looks like it plays.

The danmaku unlimited guy is making his game again.

Really looking forward to sophstar, the early demo for that was loads of fun! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410440/Sophstar/

Been having loads of fun with Operation STEEL.

Sold some games and used the money to get Guardian Force on Saturn. I sold it years ago to fund my first 400mm lens and I’ve always regretted it. Played it for a couple of hours and I remain rubbish at it 😄