IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Seems the switch version of DS2X has more slowdown than the 360 version!

I'm just gonna wait and see how this fairs once it's been patched up. Hopefully they take all the issues seriously. They have been patching the game, so you never know - https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmiles/en/topics/#20211216002

13 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Apparently IIX has little to no slowdown, so it’s going to be near impossible to beat 😅

The game is really easy. You could probably beat it running at double speed playing for survival.

It's all about the scoring though, if the game is running much faster, you're probably not gonna beat your score.

Hopefully they see it as a problem and do something about it.

The slowdown was one of the best thing about it! It was so chill and it would crawl to a slideshow at times, with all the spooky rings floating about, it was so hypnotic. Definitely part of it's rough diamond charm and if it ain't there, I'm not likely to beat my score, which would be the whole point of playing it again.

As ever with these things, so long as you treat it as a separate thing and you're not comparing scores with other versions, it's all totally fine.

What do you think @immortaljellyfish? Did you like it? It gets a load of stick but I reckon it's lots of fun!

@ImmaculateClump Yeah I imagine a survival run will still be doable, but a Pigeon Blood Jitterbug run could get pretty tough. I'm not sure how the difficulty works on IIX, but if you meet certain conditions (seemingly a pretty high score, but probably other things) there's a definite spike in difficulty from the EX boss and into the last stage. Those runs without slowdown could be a bastard 😅

I've been playing a bit of DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label Arrange/KetsuiPachi recently and greatly enjoying the small part of the reworked Ketsui  soundtrack I get to hear before my early, early deaths, and was very surprised to discover it was by Jake Kaufman - Shovel Knight/Shantae etc. It's not on his BandCamp, does anyone know if it's available anywhere?

I would greatly prefer to give him money but I will settle for a shady link at last resort so long as it's not YouTube.

9 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh, wow! I just looked that up. I never saw him! I only ever fought santa at the end of my runs :D

Yeah you can burn Satan Claws in a minute or so on a normal run, but if you meet whatever the conditions are it's fucking solid!

@Yasawas Is it this? If it is it was a freebie with DFK Black Label on 360.

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Yeah you can burn Satan Claws in a minute or so on a normal run, but if you meet whatever the conditions are it's fucking solid!

@Yasawas Is it this? If it is it was a freebie with DFK Black Label on 360.

spacer.png

You lucky boy! It is, and I did manage to find it in .flac even, but I feel a bit guilty about it. I'll give him some money somehow.

As an aside I've been reminded I have Ketsui DS which I thought had a soundtrack CD, spent ages digging it out and then found out a) it's a DVD and, b) I don't actually own a device that can play any form of disc media anyway :lol: I need sleep, this booster has wrecked me the last couple of days.

15 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

What's the current thoughts on Sine Mora EX? I had the original on 360 and thought it was pretty terrible but understand it's been through a lot of changes since then.

99p on eshop right now if you have gold coins to burn.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Seems the switch version of DS2X has more slowdown than the 360 version!

I'm just gonna wait and see how this fairs once it's been patched up. Hopefully they take all the issues seriously. They have been patching the game, so you never know - https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmiles/en/topics/#20211216002

The game is really easy. You could probably beat it running at double speed playing for survival.

It's all about the scoring though, if the game is running much faster, you're probably not gonna beat your score.

Hopefully they see it as a problem and do something about it.

The slowdown was one of the best thing about it! It was so chill and it would crawl to a slideshow at times, with all the spooky rings floating about, it was so hypnotic. Definitely part of it's rough diamond charm and if it ain't there, I'm not likely to beat my score, which would be the whole point of playing it again.

As ever with these things, so long as you treat it as a separate thing and you're not comparing scores with other versions, it's all totally fine.

What do you think @immortaljellyfish? Did you like it? It gets a load of stick but I reckon it's lots of fun!

Yeah - without knowing any of this, I honestly had a great time with it. Didn't feel "wrong"?

1 hour ago, geldra said:

OMG, that lineup! Not sure I can resist this. What sort of price are we likely talking, do we think?

EDIT: £130 for the cab. I'm in at that price.

Woohoo! I beat the developer in Moon Dancer :D

Top of the leaderboard for now!

https://streamable.com/3kvqcg

9 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Yeah that's why I was asking, I've got plenty of other stuff to buy but may as well save the quid (and my time) if it's still not that good.

Yeah, it's still doggy plops, I'm afraid. Some people like it though. It's a quid so you could give it a try, but like you say, your time is worth more.

I wouldn't bother, personally.

2 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Yeah that's why I was asking, I've got plenty of other stuff to buy but may as well save the quid (and my time) if it's still not that good.

I was the same - I think I'm hanging off. I'd rather spend more on something properly good.

Related: I just can't convince myself on BlackBird though I've tried so many times!

Batrider! Thats amazing, will definitely get one of those new astro citys. Still hope theyll release some of those properly though, batrider was supposed to be a shottriggers release iirc.

sine mora ive not tried recently, thought it was ok on launch, wouldnt particularly recommend it but i didnt hate it either.

1 minute ago, spatular said:

Batrider! Thats amazing, will definitely get one of those new astro citys. Still hope theyll release some of those properly though, batrider was supposed to be a shottriggers release iirc.

Yeah it’s a bonkers release considering several of those games have never seen an official home release before. 

9 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Omg this is an amazing range of titles.  What was the previous Astro city like for emulation quality, scanline options etc.?

Scanlines on the actual screen on the mini cab were fine. The output to a normal tv not so much. 

I can imagine input lag being a thing with this too. 

I’d manage your expectations tbh. But as an object it’s pretty 🔥

On 17/12/2021 at 17:19, Triple A said:

Omg this is an amazing range of titles.  What was the previous Astro city like for emulation quality, scanline options etc.?

Plenty of folk about who were unhappy with various emulation aspects of the first machine. Then again, it's not like the retro audience is easy to please, so pinches of salt are probably advisable. Check out the chat about it on shmups.sytem11.org for a taste.

Ok, Deathsmiles for PS4 is here....

First impressions are very much what has previously been stated.

DS1 is very faithful to the arcade with its slowdown etc.

DS2 has saturated colours which are mildly distracting. I've not played arcade mode yet, but for IIX mode.... It has almost no slowdown which means those blue chaser bullets are really, really difficult to avoid in certain places (such as the run of hands in the house before Tamecos). It also means I keep getting caught out on bosses because the game on 360 slowed down as they were releasing big patterns and of course it doesn't here. The 360 game I can no miss fairly consistently, this one on two attempts I've not even got as far as the EX stage yet. Playing for survival will still be pretty easy, and maybe if you haven't learned IIX on 360 you'll be coming at it from a different angle. If you've memorised the bloody game on 360 though you're in for a shock.

6 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Ok, Deathsmiles for PS4 is here....

First impressions are very much what has previously been stated.

DS1 is very faithful to the arcade with its slowdown etc.

DS2 has saturated colours which are mildly distracting. I've not played arcade mode yet, but for IIX mode.... It has almost no slowdown which means those blue chaser bullets are really, really difficult to avoid in certain places (such as the run of hands in the house before Tamecos). It also means I keep getting caught out on bosses because the game on 360 slowed down as they were releasing big patterns and of course it doesn't here. The 360 game I can no miss fairly consistently, this one on two attempts I've not even got as far as the EX stage yet. Playing for survival will still be pretty easy, and maybe if you haven't learned IIX on 360 you'll be coming at it from a different angle. If you've memorised the bloody game on 360 though you're in for a shock.

my switch version arrived earlier. Are there any particular problem areas (preferably in the first level) I can check out to see what the slowdown is like for comparison purposes?

10 minutes ago, geldra said:

my switch version arrived earlier. Are there any particular problem areas (preferably in the first level I can check out to see what the slowdown is like for comparison purposes?

The first stage should slowdown a little at the big minotaur when he unleashes his big pattern. If you can get through stage 1, try stage 4 (D on 360), the Ghost House stage. If you can get to the point with the book cases and dropping chandeliers and pop your power up, just before the boss you'll have a bunch of giant hands reaching in to get you. The game should slow to a crawl there.