Shmups

Dr Seedyman

On 03/12/2021 at 22:37, strawdonkey said:

OK OK now we're done. Bit of a scruffy 1CC on Novice Boost mode too.

Boost mode is great - it's got adaptive difficulty, but also once you enter the Break state, you don't leave it until you die or bomb. This also means that you don't get to break for survival, but you do get to kill everything in about half the time it would normally take. For some reason the scoring system is completely different; 600+billion on the regular mode and, er, two billion here?

Crimzon Clover is utterly superb, and I've still only really scratched the surface.

image.thumb.png.b8fb9b8b0a091fb86646158113c0e99e.png 

Yeah, it's an absolutely superb shooter. Probably my favourite non-Cave shmup. Am super pumped for the release of the updated version on Steam this week!

Tomorrow night, in fact! Games usually come out at 6pm, but judging by the countdown on the store page, it looks like it might be 7pm.

Might be too late for me, but I wanna try and get a quick game in. I think I'm gonna go for a clear in one of the novice modes first this time. I think that's the mistake I made in the first one, judging by donkeys comments, sticking to the arcade mode wasn't a good plan.

That date for flesh turned out to just be a placeholder, but yer man's still beavering away.

Those cocks dragging themselves along with their floppy foreskins are something else.

Beat my score on Schildmaid Sieger, but it's still not a great score. I died like slap bang in the middle of the run i think and you've got to keep that multiplier going for as long as you can. If you're gonna die, do it near the end!

m6b5ayX.jpg

On 04/12/2021 at 11:41, Triple A said:

I just got an e-mail saying my Dangun collector's order is shipping.  I totally forgot I ordered it!

Same. I had a big to-and-fro with their "customer service" rep over the delay, lack of communication, and denial of refund.

SDOJ has been dumped.

I've not turned on the Astro City for over a month now, I need to get back into things.

Yeah, I have 2 copies of SDOJ and almost purchased an exA. On the other hand, I am unlikely to be attempting to get this ROM (hack) working when i have the 360 port nicely hooked up. Perhaps one day, but even better would be an M2 release.

The entitlement in some of the comments of that video is very strong, but it usually is when people try to justify piracy, which I am not really against in a sense but I admit that is it wrong. I don't justify why I have pirated something—if I pirate it's because I am avoiding paying and I want something (music, film, ROM) and not because of (LOL) preservation.

both out now on steam:

shikigami no shiro 2 ~£14 (small launch discount)

crimzon clover world explosion ~£7.7 (big discount if you own the previous one i guess?) 

i have been playing a little bit of blue wish desire, seems great so far, current best run was to stage 4.

Bought Crimzon Clover, mainly becuase I feel bad that I only paid £1.50 or something for World Ignition years ago.

I hope the long-standing issues the original had with janky full screen and alt-tabbing have been sorted for the final release though because they were still there in the demo. Unlocking stuff first time around took way longer than it should've for me because I lost progress after crashes loads of times.

I've only spent 2 mins with it but the port seems perfect so far. None of the weird framerate issues and disqualified scores, which were my main fear. Some of the UI is still in Japanese but you should be able to figure things out if you have any of the older versions.

It's better than the Shikigami 2 port, which seems to be the old PC release in a new wrapper. It works fine for most people but I never had much luck with it - choppy framerates and tearing, control config woes, etc. Hopefully I'll be able to iron these issues out, though!

Feveron was waiting for me after work, too. Spoilt rotten!

Crimson Clover World EXplosion(!) runs alright on my PC - performance is solid and since I changed text to all English I haven't seen any Japanese text characters since.

I would like for the native game resolution to be higher, but it's good enough.

The game is really good, the next best thing to a CAVE game and in some ways even better - you should know this if you got any previous version of course.  Even after just a few hours of the game being live, some of the superplays are insane.

Jumped straight into arrange normal.

Cwooooar! This is the stuff :D

Feels like a very good place to start. It feels like an M2 arrange, nice and flashy but not too difficult.

I keep dying at the final boss though!

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

It's better than the Shikigami 2 port

yeah, the demo was a mess, wasn't expecting much better from the final game, but I bought it anyway. It was easy enough to get the demo into a workable state after a bit of fannying so hopefully this'll be at least marginally better when I come to trying it out.

Oh wow, try arrange boost! That is fab!

The bullets get a lot faster but the patterns are a lot simpler and more intuitive to make up for it. It's intense. That's gonna be so much fun to score in.

I thought Blue Wish Desire was a shoo in for my favourite game this year, but this might have just pipped it at the post!

iM2dKs0.jpg

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I don't know too much about the game, but is the scoring hook just to get nearer enemies for a bigger score?

i'm not that up on the scoring, all i know is to collect all disco men at all costs, even possibly using a bomb to collect ones that are about to disappear.

21 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh wow, try arrange boost! That is fab!

The bullets get a lot faster but the patterns are a lot simpler and more intuitive to make up for it. It's intense. That's gonna be so much fun to score in.

I thought Blue Wish Desire was a shoo in for my favourite game this year, but this might have just pipped it at the post!

iM2dKs0.jpg

Agreed. The various permutations of Arrange are absolutely GLORIOUS!

23 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Just for me, is the hype around CCWE because it's been released on PC or something?

Yes, it got a pc release the other day.

If you see people talking about Shikigami 2, it's because that got released the same day.
People are talking about dangun again because Limited run games have started sending out physical copies.
We were talking about sdoj last week because it finally got dumped in the shape of a rom hack, real release coming next year.
Schildmaid got updated with a new "seiger" mode so that's popped up in the thread again.

There you are, you're up to speed, no need to read the previous page.

I'm definitely shmup-curious but essentially pretty ignorant and have just picked up DoDonPachi Resurrection on Switch, it's my first DDP. These LiveWire ports contain plenty of stuff but HOLY FUCK EXPLAIN THINGS BETTER PLEASE. It's great I can play v1.5, v.1.5.1, Black Label, myriad Arrange Modes and even a Ketsui-esque twist on it but what are they? Why would I choose one over the other? I have no idea what the definitive or standard version is or the best place to start. Thankfully I do know Ketsui so I at least get that one, it seems interesting, but I know it's not the "proper" game here.

This is just a general rant as the straw that broke the camel's back. I play a lot of these retro reissues and collections and am constantly annoyed by how few companies make any effort to include manuals or legible instructions considering how much easier it would be than literally every other step of the production process. Argh!

Woohoo! I got the arrange original clear. Shame I didn't beat my best score, but I made lots of daft mistakes.

Man, the arrange modes on this are so much fun!

sOKEc65.jpg

@Yasawas A lad on the steam forums did a decent job of a concise roundup.

• Normal 1.5 - The original game, as it was
  • Normal 1.51 - Original game with variations in scoring and other mechanics
  • Arrange A - Plays with Daioujou's Leinyan as the main character, using Daioujou's mechanics for hypers and ship. I.e Hypers are dropped from the top.
  • Arrange B - Completely new style of mode, not sure what it focuses on.
  • Novice - Easy mode for beginners
  • Black Label Novice - Same as above, but for Black Label
  • Black Label - The special release of the game, new music, new mechanics like "Red Mode", scoring and patterns updated.
  • Black Label Arrange - Black Label with the Tiger Schwert from Ketsui playable, uses Ketsui's scoring system merged with Ressurection's.

3 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I'm definitely shmup-curious but essentially pretty ignorant and have just picked up DoDonPachi Resurrection on Switch, it's my first DDP. These LiveWire ports contain plenty of stuff but HOLY FUCK EXPLAIN THINGS BETTER PLEASE. It's great I can play v1.5, v.1.5.1, Black Label, myriad Arrange Modes and even a Ketsui-esque twist on it but what are they? Why would I choose one over the other? I have no idea what the definitive or standard version is or the best place to start. Thankfully I do know Ketsui so I at least get that one, it seems interesting, but I know it's not the "proper" game here.

This was me in 2011. You'll get into it. (it's the same port as that, btw)

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

We were talking about sdoj last week because it finally got dumped in the shape of a rom hack, real release coming next year.

Real release...? Real rom dump or did i miss something else?

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Real release...? Real rom dump or did i miss something else?

Yes, the same guy will be releasing the none hacked rom dump on the 20th april next year (SDOJ's tenth birthday).

I posted about it last thursday.

Somebody has shared a version with the hacked assets replaced by the original as well this week.

It depends who you ask. I think it's fantastic.

It was at 14 in the latest shmups forum poll if you put any stock in that.

EvPtXTyUUAMdP4R.png

Arcade is nuts and because of the speed of the bullets it's a game you'd have to memorise pretty heavily. Lots of practise.

Try the fever arrange mode. It's brilliant, and much more manageable!

Icarus on the shmups forum has got the skinny on how to take off the stabilisers and start properly scoring
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1253013#p1253013

How to deactivate the Safety Line
- Stay in the Safety Zone for the whole of the first half of the first stage - do not leave the Safety Zone at all
- Kill everything as quickly as possible, and let cyborgs auto-collect
- Before you get to the mid-point of the stage with the three large missile-launcher satellites, have at least 140 cyborgs collected (not value, collected).
- The Safety Line will disappear at this point if you've triggered what is essentially Ura Route.