Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Thanks, man!
Have you tried playing purely for survival to begin with?

You could not bother with the soul draining mechanic and use your laser mostly to take out the big enemies quickly.
Use your rapid shot on the popcorn enemies, but only on the big baddies enough to build up a hyper which you could then use as a "bomb" and when you panic and use that, hover your finger over the bomb button until you've used your rapid shot enough to build up another hyper.

Have you tried the second moth, that dx-1 character? He seems likes he's better for survival and scoring! Give him a try if you haven't already.

edit: Woohoo! :D

m07YdhK.png

7 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Thanks, man!
Have you tried playing purely for survival to begin with?

You could not bother with the soul draining mechanic and use your laser mostly to take out the big enemies quickly.
Use your rapid shot on the popcorn enemies, but only on the big baddies enough to build up a hyper which you could then use as a "bomb" and when you panic and use that, hover your finger over the bomb button until you've used your rapid shot enough to build up another hyper.

Have you tried the second moth, that dx-1 character? He seems likes he's better for survival and scoring! Give him a try if you haven't already.

edit: Woohoo! :D

m07YdhK.png

I've not really dabbled with the second moth, no. And your advice seems entirely sensible - I'm just terrible at ignoring a scoring mechanic. They're too irresistible! But yeah, I should definitely give your approach a try 🙂 

On 24/11/2021 at 21:34, immortaljellyfish said:

I'm just terrible at ignoring a scoring mechanic. They're too irresistible!

Haha, yeah, I hear ya.

One of the devs posted on the shmups forum today.

I'll drop a scoring tip as I've not seen it used in vids yet. The multiplier resets at the beginning of each stage but the size of the skull circle doesn't, so try and finish a boss with a large skull circle. This way you can get the multiplier maxed out much earlier - on stage 3 you should be getting max skulls on the first lily.

Aaaaah! I just assumed you'd be better off using any hyper you had left during the boss to get skulls, but it makes sense to get a headstart at the beginning of the stage.

I made a few daft mistakes there and blasted my score, so I reckon I can push this a lot further.

72cUIIT.png

Expert opinion required: If you beat Gorgenion but lose against the EX boss in Crimzon Clover, does it count as a 1CC 👀

I keep getting killed by things I can't see, so definitely still plenty to learn. Novice mode seems quite manageable when you get past the "oh right there's a huge laser here" moments, though I am utterly clueless as to how to score effectively. 

Wow! Just when you're thinking "how does he get the time to make so many quality videos" he coughs out a three hour video covering every pce shmup. Absolute madman! :D

22 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

If you beat Gorgenion but lose against the EX boss in Crimzon Clover, does it count as a 1CC 👀

I've never beat crimzon clover (I know! Waiting for the steam version of explosion to come out before I dive back in (they released a patch for the demo recently, by the way, that fixes all the issues)) but I looked it up, and yeah, it looks like you only get the final boss if you don't credit feed, so it's not a 1cc if you don't beat him :( Gutter. Sounds like you're really close though!

Zmod6Bi.png

I had a really stupid death during one of the bosses, so I can definitely go higher!

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

it looks like you only get the final boss if you don't credit feed, so it's not a 1cc if you don't beat him :( Gutter. Sounds like you're really close though

Yeah it's not far away at all, I've got all the patterns sorted and it's just a case of putting together a low-error run now.

Arcade Mode is hilariously difficult in comparison, and one I don't think I'll be contesting the 1cc on unless the secret to eternal life is discovered!

On 29/11/2021 at 17:51, strawdonkey said:

Yeah it's not far away at all, I've got all the patterns sorted and it's just a case of putting together a low-error run now.

Yesssssssss

This wound up being quite comfortable in the end, even though I took a stupid death on stages 2 and 3 (so lost out on something like five billion points there!). With a little more familiarity I could string together a no-miss up to the True Last Boss but will probably have another scoring run or two and then wait for the update, which is giving me huge deja vu as I said exactly the same thing about Blue Revolver too 👀

Tons of room for improvement in the above run with when I'm bursting/etc and taking more risks with building the multipllier, but also the top score worldwide on this mode is 4 Trillion and I've got no idea how you're meant to get close to that! I reckon I could get 500 billion with a solid run, so just need to multiply that by eight somehow...

Ha! This is brilliant :D

Someone calling themselves "cavedwellers" has just released a fun rom hack of dfk and this text file was in the zip.

"!HAVE A GREAT DECEMBER AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

TO PLAY:
/ RENAME "sdojak.zip" TO "dfkbl.zip"
/ PLAY IN EMULATOR

I HOPE YOU ENJOY!!

IF YOU DO NOT ENJOY, LOOK FORWARD TO 04/20/22 FOR A FUN BIRTHDAY PRESENT!

- CAVEDWELLERS"

I'm assuming that means the real dump will be released next year.

You can play as hello kitty and they changed the announcer to garfield.

IC0x8U7.png
xt67vnm.png
xQqhRvJ.png
E6DgSoi.png
Dcr02gk.png
8J1Zk3i.png
dYNZRtm.png
0Fri1i9.png

On 01/12/2021 at 08:27, strawdonkey said:

Yesssssssss

OK, marked improvement - I've hit 453.0b on another 1CC (following a 404.2b where I lost it on the last boss), where I took the stars instead of the extra lives. I've got to the point now where every time I lose a life it is because I've done something idiotic, which is an absolutely amazing feeling - I've no-miss'd all of the first four levels, and the last level is totally viable (though I may not have the patience/time to string together a run where I no-miss the whole game).

Will likely pack it in after a 500b run, which is totally feasible just by Not Doing Dumb Shit. 453.0b is just outside the top 1,000 so can't leave it there either right 👀

Annoyed as I lost a really stupid life on the bouncy ball boss but I think this is my lot for now. I don't see myself getting a better run than this without having to wean myself off breaking for survival, rather than breaking for score. But still, 612.2b for 357th overall 🙌

image.png

OK OK now we're done. Bit of a scruffy 1CC on Novice Boost mode too.

Boost mode is great - it's got adaptive difficulty, but also once you enter the Break state, you don't leave it until you die or bomb. This also means that you don't get to break for survival, but you do get to kill everything in about half the time it would normally take. For some reason the scoring system is completely different; 600+billion on the regular mode and, er, two billion here?

Crimzon Clover is utterly superb, and I've still only really scratched the surface.

image.thumb.png.b8fb9b8b0a091fb86646158113c0e99e.png 

7 hours ago, englishbob said:

Missed the email about Dangun finally shipping from Limited Games - its been so long! Checked the tracking - its been sent via DHL - but in a full week still hasn't left the USA yet. Fucking hell

Aye, mine’s gone from North Carolina to Illinois. I assume a man walked there with it it’s taken so bloody long.

13 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

612.2b for 357th overall 🙌

Nicely done! :D

The new Sieger mode for Schildmaid is out. I'll have to try and play some of that today.

https://hitp-studio.itch.io/schildmaid-mx

- Play a single, longer, intense stage that tests your mastery of the game's mechanics with situations you would typically only encounter in the later loops of Chimera Mode.
  - A full playthrough will take around 10 minutes.
  - There are separate leaderboards for Sieger Mode.
  - The mode is unlocked by beating Jaeger Mode once (works retroactively as well).

Sheeeeeiit! That's hard! Really good fun though! managed to clear it today, but it took some doing!

It was definitely something the game was missing, a short, balls out, none stop mode that chucked you straight in to the action.

You need to get through it without dying to get a decent score, I think, so I'll try and do that.

ptcWE2z.jpg

On 21/11/2021 at 08:48, Death Adder said:

Mine has arrived, although it's being wrapped up as a Christmas present.

Initial impressions are that Radirgy Swag is pretty fun and Illvelo is less fun. It’s a bit too grindy and requires you to do tasks to get to more difficult levels.