Shmups

Dr Seedyman

On 23/09/2021 at 20:38, Rsdio said:

Well that's the 360 mode of Guwange 1cc'd - almost comical difference between that and my previous 'what is going on' attempts at playing the arcade mode, I was a fraction of the last boss' health bar from getting it on the third attempt. It's weirdly relaxing just cancelling the entire screen with the shikigami, almost like colouring in maybe. Mindful shooting. I do kind of get how the game works now too so I'll be returning to the arcade mode of it through Retroarch at some point in the future for sure. Really love how crazy they went with the whole thing, the setting and mechanics would've been enough to mark it out as unique but they also chucked in the lesser spotted environmental hori-style elements for good measure.

Hoovered up 1ccs with the other three characters in Omega Five yesterday too so I think that's me about done with decent backwards compatible traditional shooters. On to revisiting Panzer Dragoon Orta and Hard Corps: Uprising now I guess, been looking forward to those.

Aye, Guwange 360 mode is a good time and the 1CC quite achievable. I'm actually a big fan of a lot of console-exclusive Cave modes - Akai Katana Slash and Futari Arrange really stand out as two of my faves.

13 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Ah, nice!

Hopefully they'll spruce it up for the final game, but it takes a little messing in the config file.

Change the frameskip to 0 or it runs at 30fps.

Fullscreen also doesn't work, so change the window dimensions to this if you're running at 1920x1080

[Window]
Top=0
Bottom=1050
Left=260
Right=1660

This is a fix I use for various doujin games, you can view a plain black image in irfanview

UzrNmSY.png

In the irfanview settings, uncheck this tickbox to stop the green text for the path and filename appearing in the top left when in fullscreen.

gZ3iEYv.jpg

and go fullscreen, and then alt-tab to the game and it looks like this, good enough.

47YDxP9.jpg

This game won't let you fill the full screen, it stops at 1061 or something dodgy like that.

This is way better than the first game!

No idea what their random ass numbering for the buttons is, but try this, it's best I've come up with so far for my stick at least

PadKeyMap=04060305

I can't seem to be able to use the first button, so I've bumped it along one on the top row.

autofire, focus fire, then bomb, next button along is start.

Just ran through the new entry mode thing, that's lots of fun! I don't know if this is any good, but there's a score to beat :D

09c7Ycs.jpg

Anyone here got experience with the Brook PS3/4 to Switch converter? I know brook is good because I have the PS3/4 to PS2 converter. Just wondering where the best place to buy one is.
Oh and I got this in Cex yesterday, shame I don't have my PS2 on me.
image0.jpg?width=507&height=676

Started playing Akai Katana last night after picking it up for my 360 a while ago.
Man this game is cool as hell and I was able to figure out the scoring system on my own without a tutorial.

Just beat Novice Blade mode 1CC and am now just watching the top score replay from the leaderboard and damn this game got some cool stuff. It's not very conventional. You don't really dodge bullets on novice you just constantly cancel them into gold and it is amazing to look at. I'm going to stay on the novice modes for a while before attempting regular, I feel like this is a novice mode that could very easily be played for a 1-All.

Also just looking at some of the shmups on XBLA for 360. I can see myself liking Guwange and Triggerheart Exelica a lot based on the trial versions. Not sure how well I'd click with Radiant Silvergun and Raystorm if I got them. I wish the Raystorm trial gave you the full first level so I could be swayed. XBLA isn't going anywhere though so I'm just going to keep playing Akai Katana for what at this point feels like could be dozens of hours just based on novice mode alone. Good game.

I also noticed on eshop that the 3 games from the upcoming cotton guardian force saturn tribute are being released here as standalone titles. I don't know if we are getting a physical edition of the collection but if not you can grab the 3 games for around £40 combined. I might order the physical version on import if it has English, would save a tenner.

14 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Absolute minefield... can someone recommend a low-cost off-the shelf PC? @ImmaculateClump? If I were to get a PC, dedicated GPU or whatever would be useful, but I am not running anything too taxing.

Yeah minefield! pc prices have gone a bit nuts recently so im not really sure whats a good price for stuff, bad time to buy but getting an off the shelf one will be easier than trying to build one currently. Any ideas at all what youll use it for or how much is low-cost? Maybe keep an eye out on hot uk deals. as an example of how the price can vary depending what you want:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/horizon-5-intel-rtx-3060-ti-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-10400f-29ghz-3799302

not up on the intel cpus but based on the gpu that will play anything you want

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/punch-technology-matx-amd-ryzen-3-3200-g-8gb-240gb-ssd-no-os-desktop-pc-ps24997-at-laptops-direct-3799009

This one should play some stuff too, i guess most stuff in mame will work fine (although maybe not, im not sure how mame does without a dedicated gpu), some more modern games on lower settings etc. The lower spec you go the more you probably want to check if specific stuff you want to play will work.

might be worth posting/looking in the pc forum too, like this person went for a second hand one:

I really shouldn't have bothered with the limited edition of Cotton Reboot from Japan! Oh well. Never saw this release coming, plus the hundreds of other games that make 2021 the year of Cotton.

I've not actually played the game yet, due to playing other things, but yeah, I should stop buying limited stuff. Funny how I thought it was too niche to get a worldwide physical release, yet Mushihime and EspII on Switch are probably going to be digital only. Shows what I know.

2 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Do Limited Run Games actually fucking produce anything? I've had Dangun Feveron pre-ordered since April

Think that’s bad I’ve had Radirgy Swag on pre order from Ready to Dispatch games since May last year! I’ve given up on ever seeing it materialise.  Sure they are trolling with that company name. Lot of supposed limited runs are getting general retail releases thus completely making the concept pointless. 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Do Limited Run Games actually fucking produce anything? I've had Dangun Feveron pre-ordered since April. Its not a vinyl album as far as I know

Snap. October apparently, let's see. It'll be my last. Jumped on it as i love the game, but not doing this again.

18 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I really shouldn't have bothered with the limited edition of Cotton Reboot from Japan! Oh well. Never saw this release coming, plus the hundreds of other games that make 2021 the year of Cotton.

I've not actually played the game yet, due to playing other things, but yeah, I should stop buying limited stuff. Funny how I thought it was too niche to get a worldwide physical release, yet Mushihime and EspII on Switch are probably going to be digital only. Shows what I know.

Got mine today.  There's not much in it besides a CD of music.

DSC_0182~2.JPG

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

Forgot Saturn tribute was out today until I got the email for their eshop release.

Going to take a guess that an English retail release isn’t on the cards.

It probably will do purely because I realised today I bought it on both Switch and PS4 at different times and they both shipped and that’s the sort of thing that happens to me :doh::lol:

This may tickle some folk in the shmups thread (I had posted a couple times in the retro area recently). I’ve been tinkering with emulation for the X68000 the last few days - as a quite big VGM guy all the MIDI-related stuff in particular has been fun to dig into.  Anyone tried much X68K shmupping?  There’s a ton of shmups on the system.

15 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

Nice! It's been a good week for PC shmup fans.

It was my birthday on Thursday, it's all felt like belated birthday presents :D

The Hell Blasters demo is really good fun.

header.jpg

The idea is to keep your chain up and get it as high as you can.

Killing enemies will raise you chain, but you can also shoot orange bullets and missiles and that will also raise your chain, but get this, your hyper beam thing that cancels bullets, the bullets you cancel also raise the chain!

So it's all about exploiting these systems and bumping your chain as high as you can. Do you leave that big enemy alive as long as you can because he's firing loads of bullets you can shoot that'll fill your hyper gauge which you can use to cancel loads of bullets from that other big enemy you're purposefully leaving alive?

Very good fun. Lots of scoring potential.

Here's my best run so far so you can see how it plays - https://streamable.com/qdntx6

The 48fps cap is weird, but it feels fine.

On 27/09/2021 at 11:38, Spoonman said:

Absolute minefield... can someone recommend a low-cost off-the shelf PC? @ImmaculateClump? If I were to get a PC, dedicated GPU or whatever would be useful, but I am not running anything too taxing.

Aw, mate, I'm the worst person to ask. That sort of thing bores me to sleep. I only look into that sort of thing when I'm building a new pc.

If it gets me from A to B, I'm happy. You can run most shmups on a toaster, I'd say just pick a price point and go for it. Just grab a cheap second hand gaming pc on ebay or something.

Yeah, you can read the gory details here :( - https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1444221200738127875

Still, good news concerning the deathsmiles ports.

Deathsmiles is being ported directly from the X360 code & the hands-on reports coming in from TGS are very positive and suggest it might end up being even more accurate than the X360/PC version in terms of accurate arcade slowdown

Turns out Hell Blasters isn't supposed to be running at 48fps. Because it's a 3rd of 144 and it's fixed by forcing 60hz, I've asked the dev to add an in-game vsync toggle as forcing it off isn't working, so hopefully that'll sort it.

I beat my score, but since the game-speed is tied to the framerate, I was playing the game at 4 fifths the intended speed, so I'd best write that off! Will play at 60hz until it gets sorted.