Shmups

Dr Seedyman

5 hours ago, Sane said:

I bought 2 pairs of the USB saturn pads when they came out so I would be set for a long time. The rubber on them is now deteriorated which makes them awful and sticky and unusable :angry:.

That happened with my Street Fighter 4 pad. WD40 sorts it!

Are bullethell shooters a dumbing down of the venerable genre?

I have played very few as don't like them compared to traditional style shooters but just randomly thought that if most of the screen is covered in bullets barring a couple of safe spots isn't it a bit too much hand holding in making it obvious thats where the players ship should be on screen? Not saying they are easy just that on the face of it seems a design choice that would deliver an overly curated experience as opposed to the apparently greater freedom with less prompting traditional style shooters gave players.

The fact you're not served up the illusion of working out and learning patterns but seemingly being forced through a template of movement might explain why some like myself don't particularly like bullethell shooters. Big caveat that while a fan of traditional shooters I am still a novice at them and as I state have played few bullet hell shooters.

I’ve been meaning to try Gleylancer for ages and never got around to it. It’s pretty awesome and not too punishing to start with. Awesome soundtrack too. 
I never played it back in the day, so it’s nice to have another 16bit shmup to spend some time with.  

44 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I’ve been meaning to try Gleylancer for ages and never got around to it. It’s pretty awesome and not too punishing to start with. Awesome soundtrack too. 
I never played it back in the day, so it’s nice to have another 16bit shmup to spend some time with.  

I've enjoyed it too, in-between Metroid sessions. The store has the same publisher releasing Gynoug this week, hoping these releases are are a regular thing.

3 hours ago, mwaawm said:

I don't think so.

I don't really like the Touhou stuff, at all. Far too simple looking. Danmaku Unlimited 3 almost feels like this, and i don't like the soundtrack nor sound effects either, which puts me off that game, though it does look quite nice and modern.

I think I can agree with you overall, but really it's the same with the non-bullet-hell shooters, too. In theory you can pretty much route all the games and have your way with it. Yes, there are "safe spots" in patterns, but the best danmaku for me are by CAVE. I only really like the bullet hell from CAVE and though I am not very good, I find them really fun to play. The patterns are somewhat dynamic, so playing something like SDOJ feels a lot more involved than "it's obvious where you need to be". 

Other shooters are fine, and can be good, but the bullet patterns really make the game, one way and another. In other games, if there are not really patterns and it's just random bullets flying around, there has to be something going on otherwise it kind of feels sparse and bores me a bit. 

What are the best non-bullet-hell shmups? I probably like loads of them, probably haven't heard of many... sometimes genres are useful but otherwise we're talking about things rather than playing the games and enjoying it :D

I understand what you're getting at @mwaawm, but unless you're talking about the ultra hard difficulties, I've found the exact opposite to be true.

Bullet hell shooters tend to give the player a lot more leeway and freedom to improvise and survive by the seat of their pants, mainly on account of the bullets being a lot slower. There's a lot less memorisation involved.

Once you get to something like ultra difficulty in mushi futari, that's when both styles combine and you absolutely need to have a route figured out and be almost pixel perfect in your execution at times.

You will love Eschatos, by the way, very oldschool on the normal difficulty. That game is perfect melding of the two subgenres, I think.

It is very counter intuitive, but people tend to see the number of bullets covering the screen and nope out of there, but the bullet hell subgenre, something like blue wish resurrection plus is the perfect intro to shmups in general.

It's the perfect place to start and make mistakes and teach yourself the fundamentals through play.

I'm not a fan of touhou either, but I absolutely love some games that are heavily inspired by them. I think Zun must just have a special sauce that makes all his games mind numbing for me!

14 hours ago, mwaawm said:

I have played very few as don't like them compared to traditional style shooters but just randomly thought that if most of the screen is covered in bullets barring a couple of safe spots isn't it a bit too much hand holding in making it obvious thats where the players ship should be on screen? Not saying they are easy just that on the face of it seems a design choice that would deliver an overly curated experience as opposed to the apparently greater freedom with less prompting traditional style shooters gave players.

The fact you're not served up the illusion of working out and learning patterns but seemingly being forced through a template of movement might explain why some like myself don't particularly like bullethell shooters. Big caveat that while a fan of traditional shooters I am still a novice at them and as I state have played few bullet hell shooters.

To be honest this isn't a description of BH games that I recognise. That a safe spot may exist is one thing, but identifying it, getting to it and doing so while juggling everything else you have to worry about (downing enemies, score multipliers, charging specials, chaining etc) is a whole other matter. I can see where you're coming from in theory but if you manage to get some more hands-on times with some BH games, I think you'd probably come to a different conclusion.

Thanks for the replies, as I said I havn't experienced many BH games and certainly no recent releases but some shooters I have enjoyed included dragon blaze, progear, anger force, guwange, whilst they can get busy dont think any of them would qualify as BH games.

My comment was probably misguided by static screenshots a case in point being searching for the recommendation by ImmaculateClump of blue wish resurrection plus and finding the static screenshots off putting but upon seeing some vids looks really good and reminds me of dragon blaze a little so will check it out.

Doesn't help that I also find the ultra HD graphics that accompany many BH shooters off putting as to me they seem sterile like many early cgi/mobile games.

On 30/10/2021 at 13:01, Death Adder said:

Anyone played Twin Cobra 2, Arcade and Saturn?

Any good?

Yes very, sadly I suspect the price of the Saturn one will shoot up further these days, as it included an arranged mode with an extra level at the end with a huge new final boss on top of the arcade version. As ImmaculateClump said it's a well balanced game that isn't to hard to 1CC at all here's my run from awhile back. It's a shame that the game isn't in the new M2 collection, trouble is it was finished by Takumi, after Toaplan went bust. So I'm not sure if M2 have the rights to reissue it, Naxat Soft did the Saturn version as well with the added content so they may have rights to the new content. Saturn and Arcade versions need a re-release. Here's a video I did some time ago of a 1CC of the arranged mode which has a 4:3 picture.

Here's the arcade mode from the Saturn it does Take and Yoko, but only in the arcade version, you can't play the Arrange mode in Tate.

36 minutes ago, Riven said:

Yes very, sadly I suspect the price of the Saturn one will shoot up further these days, as it included an arranged mode with an extra level at the end with a huge new final boss on top of the arcade version. As ImmaculateClump said it's a well balanced game that isn't to hard to 1CC at all here's my run from awhile back. It's a shame that the game isn't in the new M2 collection, trouble is it was finished by Takumi, after Toaplan went bust. So I'm not sure if M2 have the rights to reissue it, Naxat Soft did the Saturn version as well with the added content so they may have rights to the new content. Saturn and Arcade versions need a re-release. Here's a video I did some time ago of a 1CC of the arranged mode which has a 4:3 picture.

Here's the arcade mode from the Saturn it does Take and Yoko, but only in the arcade version, you can't play the Arrange mode in Tate.

On 01/11/2021 at 03:27, ImmaculateClump said:

I was playing this today. I really liked it! I wasn't recording so I didn't manage to capture my first 1cc as I didn't expect to get it so soon.

It's a lot easier than the first one!

It's nice and chill.

My advice would be to use 15hz autofire and stick to the green weapon. Try not to bomb because that's where most of your score comes from, having as many bombs and mega bombs as you can at the end of the stages.

You get nothing for having lives left at the end so don't worry about hoarding those.

CCu3AEo.jpg

I like it. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and see if I can get a better score.

On 30/10/2021 at 21:52, Jazz Glands said:

By a different developer. It’s neither particularly good, nor bad. Just very uninspired and not a patch on Twin Cobra

Thanks.  It was in my local game shop for, well, not exactly cheap but not too bad for a Saturn shoot em up, so I snapped it up.

20 hours ago, Sane said:

Really? Just spray it on the rubber? I don't know if I kept them, going to search the attic!

I sprayed it, let it soak in a bit then used a Brillo pad to scrub off the sticky bits. 
It’s not perfect, but the stickiness has gone so the pad is useable again. 

On 02/11/2021 at 21:42, mwaawm said:

some shooters I have enjoyed included dragon blaze, progear, anger force, guwange, whilst they can get busy dont think any of them would qualify as BH games.

progear and guwange are bullet hell! you're already a fan :D if you've seen something like mushihimesama ultra mode? which is a screen full of bullets, they look pretty tame in comparison though.

Yes, I think the plan is to bring it to switch and steam once they've ironed out whatever bugs people report about the itch version.

I should have been playing Schildmaid but I started playing "Prehistoric Isle 2" yesterday and I couldn't drop it until I got the 1cc!

Man, it looks effing gorgeous! The backgrounds look lush, you just want to dive into the ocean.
The slowdown feels really great, especially during the rainforest section, it feels like the wind and rain is pushing you back.

It's good fun and not too hard, it's a fun adventure!

The final boss at the end turns into beakyfuzzblob from blackbird!

jloBiK6.jpg

Bg0kj6N.jpg "Mammy!"

There's a score to beat if you fancy playing.

nMVgKW9.jpg

Apologies if old news but it seems that Strictly Limited are putting out versions of the new Deathsmiles ports. I wonder if the Jp releases of same will have full English text.

edit: ooh, DLC on-disc. I might get that release, although it will mean waiting for a year 

4 years it took, apparently. Guys only 19! That's insane.

1cc'ed krieger (normal) mode of Schildmaid MX today. It's a bit harder than it was in the beta!

Hopefully it wasn't beginners luck but I got second place on the Chimera (hard mode, endless loops, 1 life) leaderboards afterwards.

I thought "Oh, this'll not last long, I'll have a quick blast before I turn it off." Half an hour later, I'm still going!

GQOJM3Q.jpg

I wanna get a better score on Krieger because my run was a bit shitty. I was near the bottom of the list of people who got the 1-all.UI still wanna stick with the green ship for now though.

It's great fun!

On 05/11/2021 at 14:52, Camel said:

Apologies if old news but it seems that Strictly Limited are putting out versions of the new Deathsmiles ports. I wonder if the Jp releases of same will have full English text.

edit: ooh, DLC on-disc. I might get that release, although it will mean waiting for a year 

thanks for the heads up on this! I made an order. if anyone is interested it's being sold in 2 batches, first lot possibly all gone, second lot is at 6pm CET (5pm?)