Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Yeah, all of their shmups are, at very best, okay-ish pastiches of something else. Last Hope and Dux were both going for "old-school horizontal memorizer, but Euro", and Fast Striker is "generic vertical danmaku, but Euro". I definitely had more fun with it than their other games, but I can't say that counts for an awful lot... 😛

Haha, I appreciate your honesty both of you.
I'm quite enjoying it to be honest, but the lack of autofire settings is really taking the edge off.
Having to constantly tap away like a demented woodpecker. It's undermining my air of authority. My dog is looking at me like the leash is going around my neck next time we go out.

You can set two buttons to the same action, so it's my own lazy fault for not wiring up the turbo button on my brook UFB, I suppose.
I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Aaaay! Nice one :D

I think it's mostly about keeping the medal chain going, don't let any of them fall off the bottom of the screen.

I've decided that my shaky hands and soldering irons aren't a good match.
Yeah, that's not happening.
Doddering all over, not even in the post code of the pcb, nevermind the exact pin I want to stick the wire to.
I've more chance of flinging boiling droplets of lead into my eyes and up the curtains, so best put that away before something nasty happens.

Plan B: back to the tapping.

Did a one life run on Super Easy after it and noticed that if you double up your homing ability then bomb pick ups become worth 1000 instead of 1000, so that’s a few points. No idea how to proc the flamingo’s either, have done it before, but dunno how 🤷‍♂️ 

u8veh1f.jpg

Hmmmm. Just a couple of patterns from the end, I can feel the 1cc coming.

Would have been nice to get it before star hunter comes out and I drop this like a hot stone, but man, that lack of autofire.

Slamming buttons just isn't fun when you have to do it for more or less the whole run.

I just fed it another credit ran through to the end. Can not be arsed.

Evorales - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1682840/Evorales/

I remember playing an old, early build of this and it definitely needed a kick up the arse and a lot more challenge, but it was still good, chill fun. Coming out the day after star hunter is unfortunate timing, I think, but I'll still grab it.

Star Hunter is fantastic!

Heads up that you might want to wait for a patch before buying the switch version. People complaining about the framerate going all over the shop - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68893

One thing to note we are working on a performance patch for the Switch version which should hopefully be out in the next week or two. Unfortunate, but unavoidable!

New trailer for sol cresta

58 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Star Hunter is fantastic!

Heads up that you might want to wait for a patch before buying the switch version. People complaining about the framerate going all over the shop - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68893

New trailer for sol cresta

Nice...but despite popular opinion its not a strictly a sequel to Terra Cresta as that already has sequels. 

In fact theres 6 games in the series...

Moon Cresta

Terra Cresta

Terra Force

UFO Danger Robo

Terra Cresta II

Terra Cresta 3D

Terra Force is fantastic. Its got a really nice feel to it. Very smooth. Also, one of my favourite shmup musaks (Level 1 theme).

@ImmaculateClump

Only played 10 mins (which is a third of my usual total play time of any game) but Star Hunter is at the absolute minimum really nicely presented.  Seems to play really well too, no idea about scoring etc etc because I never ever have.  Switch version here. 

one strange (admittedly very niche) quirk, it doesn’t let you put less than 3 characters (or a blank/space character) in the high score table.  

I'm gonna chalk that down as a positive review :D

I made a thread here where I post pictures from the in-game tutorial explain the scoring mechanics.

and there's a run from the demo so you can monkey see, monkey do - https://streamable.com/rzdpov

It's worth learning the basics as you get extra lives at certain scoring milestones, so it's tied into survival.

You basically shoot baddies and collect the blue things to build your hyper gauge, then hyper, and when you kill enemies in this bullet time state, you cancel their bullets to gold cubes for score.

You build bombs by grazing and you can use these bombs and run around eating bullets for a short duration and that'll quickly refill your hyper gauge.

There's a multiplier meter at the bottom left of the screen and you want to keep this as high as you can so the gold cubes are worth more.

bdOAgca.jpeg

The last stage is proving to be a bit of a bastard! :D

My favourite bit is where you go underwater and meet the squids and there are loads of submarines and underwater mines you can cancel for big score. Feels soooo good.

They have come so far since space moth. This is fab. Can't wait to see what the space moth remake is like!

Got myself some new shmups to be getting on with.

spacer.png

Despite Espgaluda being quite pricey and already owning the arcade PCB I decided to pick it up so when I sell my arcade stuff I don't need to go on a big rush to hunt down all of the games I'll be missing. Also got Hokuto no Ken, KoF XI, 3rd Strike and Guilty Gear Isuka on PS2 for the same reason, fortunately other than HnK the others cost buttons.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

and there's a run from the demo so you can monkey see, monkey do - https://streamable.com/rzdpov

That looks really nice, it's on the list to pick up tonight!

48 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Can you guess what happened next?

You won?

Been back working on Always Surrender. I say working, I added about three lines of code that's staying* and then played it for about 2 hours. Even if no one likes it I at least made something I like :lol: Still plenty to do though - if I work my ass off it might be out this year.

*I had an idea for a new enemy type so made the sprite, and the animation for it. Then I realised it was about 16 times as much work to redo the UI to fit it in, so reached the conclusion its addition wouldn't add much! That's two enemies on the cutting room floor, although the first got changed into something else.

41 minutes ago, Jonster said:

You won?

:lol:

Nah, that bullet that's right in front of me in the picture, I nutted it as hard as I could and tipped my pc out of the window.

I really like Always Surrender too so that makes two of us at the very least!

Has it changed much since I last tried it?