Shmups

Dr Seedyman

47 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Are any of the new geo shmups on Xbox worth getting? It seems like there are lots but they all look fairly similar. 

I’m not sure what’s on there, but if Twinkle Star Sprites is it’s absolutely brilliant. Pulstar and Blazing Star are both decent as are Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters 2 and 3. Swerve Alpha Mission 2 and Andro Dunos. Ghost Pilots has some fans but I think it’s a bit shit. Last resort is alright, probably wouldn’t buy it. Never played Zed Blade or Prehistoric Isle 2, but Prehistoric Isle 1 (not Neo Geo) is pretty average.

Edit: Forgot Viewpoint, if you have masochistic tendencies try it, but avoid if you don’t like games that are really really difficult or don’t like Zaxxon.

Blazing Star is the crowning jewel of the Neo Geo shooting library, imo - definitely get that if you only get one. Pulstar is a fantastic R-Type clone, as is Last Resort, and Zed Blade is an exhilarating and unusually manic horizontal shmup from NMK, featuring a lot of early-career Manabu Namiki bangers. It's probably my fave. I also really like Strikers 1945 Plus, which is a slightly slower, more bullet-dense take on the series' gameplay, which is usually full of sparse but incredibly fast patterns.

Prehistoric Isle 2 is a good laugh, but as I haven't spent that much time with it I couldn't say much about its longevity. It has a pretty interesting scoring system, involving rescuing as many humans as you can (by literally catching them with your helicopter as they fly through the air, in many cases) and dropping them off with a rescue chopper. (As in Metal Slug, dying means losing all your rescued people.)

Edit: actually, calling Last Resort an R-Type clone is selling it short. It has a lot of aesthetic similarities, obviously, but its moment-to-moment action is quite different, if only because the drone behaves so differently - it takes quite a while to get used to manoeuvring it and firing it off in the direction you want, although if you've played Rolling Gunner it won't feel totally alien. 

Had a couple of blasts at Deathtiny tonight. First took 3 credits to get through, just to try and get the feeling back. Second run I died at Doom. Got to the penultimate boss with two lives and quickly lost one as I can't remember the patterns properly - I did have more points going into the fight than I did in my personal best though. I'm putting that down to being more liberal with my bomb use instead of relying on auto bomb.

Yeah all this deathtiny talk got me wanting to join in too, so had a few goes, was a bit all over the place, couldn't remember how it all works, it was still great fun though, got about 200m or so. think my old high score is ~275m. my ps4 is playing up a bit so need to try and sort that out.

edit - as the ps4 has been acting up i wanted to get this replay off it - was trying to learn some new routes for arcade mode last year to try and get a better score and this is the result, it's pretty messy and not a clear but is my high score at ~108m

edit2 - the video skips oddly near the end, maybe caused by the ps4 problems.

What the hell? That's full fat ketsui with a sausage roll stuck in it you mad lad! :D
We're all playing the deathtiny babba mode with the autobombing!

Aaaaah, just read your post properly, right.

Wow, I can't ever imagine being good enough to get that far in normal mode.

Aw man, hope your PS4 isn't on the way out. Might be a good excuse to save for a ps5 though if everything's backwards compatible.

You're gonna absolutely hate me.

n6Wyczd.jpg

I think my new strategy is, during the bosses, don't worry about staying in greedy bastard mode, let yourself autobomb and come out of it as it seems like there's way more scoring potential in the later stages, it's not worth risking the harder boss patterns, may as well not risk it and keep those lives for later?

@ImmaculateClump Haha, well played! I do but I hate myself more for being a greedy pig. 

I think you're spot on with that advice, as well. A lot of my deaths come from trying to force DD Mode with the bosses. I think if you know how to milk the boss patterns for score, it's obviously better in DD but the risks aren't worth it.

I'll look forward to the vid if/when you upload it! 

On 23/07/2021 at 17:02, Marlew said:

Just watched this, very impressive! One question: it looks like you kept the bonus enemies that spawn after the stage 5 midboss all the way until the elevator. Is that an intentional trick? I noticed the right side didn't update from the midboss until quite a while after it was supposed to.

@Jonster If it is a trick it was a total fluke on my part. To be honest, I was just hammering the bomb as much as I could and I must have been lucky with some of the timings for recharging my meter. That section did feel weird, though, seemed like the buggers kept spawning and spawning. 

6 hours ago, Marlew said:

I'll look forward to the vid if/when you upload it! 

Felt like there was loads of room for improvement, and I died at the fifth boss so I'll hold on for now.
I can feel a magical run coming. Not tonight though, I was showing myself up there.

You saying there's a good sprinkling of luck involved at times, I was laughing with glee tonight where I got cornered and didn't have any bomb juice left and I went up and over, I was doing circles around the screen laughing like a maniac until I managed to bomb.

So many great moments like that. Game is none stop!

I did a 217M Deathtiny run today which I’m quite pleased with.  I didn’t know how to activate DD mode until this morning lol.  The trick for this 1CC was to not use hypers in stage 4 - that stage messes me up if I try and go for score.

E4C5E97B-6FD2-42B8-8AEC-157501DCD2BE.jpeg

15 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

So many great moments like that.

Being low on meter and getting cornered and just thinking fuck it, need to point blank this big bugger up the screen to get some blues and then you just get enough in time for the hyper to trigger before you die. Absolutely love that. 

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

stage 4 - that stage messes me up if I try and go for score.

E4C5E97B-6FD2-42B8-8AEC-157501DCD2BE.jpeg

Good work. I'm sure you'll crank that score up further now you know how the DD works! 

Stage 4 is a bugger, I always feel like I'm immediately on the back foot with it and by the time those spinning things appear, it's so intense and then just when you think you've got some breathing space you get TWO of those massive helicopters sliding in one after another. 

yeah great scores on deathtiny guys :D

Dont understand how you get blue chips as i seem to randomly get them and sometimes not, so looking at the info that was posted apparently to get blue chips you need to either do a full lock on or speedkill popcorn enemies. So i guess ill try that!

Played some more deathtiny, did get a slightly better score of 281m, oddly that when i wasnt trying to get extra hyper levels, was just trying to stay alive in the deathdie mode. Nearly every time i thought it was going pretty well was because id dropped out of deathdie mode without realising.

Also going for the 300 million target, so imagine my absolute joy at just getting 299,289,663 :lol:

Edit: also I don't think I've seen this mentioned anywhere but being in death die doubles your end of stage bonus, even if you activate it after the boss dies!

26 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Also going for the 300 million target, so imagine my absolute joy at just getting 299,289,663 :lol:

I was just 53 million up on the pace of this going into the last stage, let's just say it didn't go very well from that point onwards. Think I might call it a night there.

^ yeah im still not sure, proximity seems to help sometimes, and the full lock on definitely works.

nice work Jonster!

i thought i was going to break 300m but 297 on the last boss and got about 400 points end game bonus, sure ive had about 5m previously.

ImmaculateClump is still laughing at us :D

edit- also noticed how the last boss (not doom) is much harder than the arcade mode, whereas the rest of the game seems similar when youre not in deathdie mode.

28 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I struggle with this too, pls help?

From what I can tell if you meet the criteria for getting a blue chip to spawn then enemies you kill (possibly just hit) within a timer also spawn them - the timer is shown under the multiplier information on the gadget and I've not noticed it about about an eighth full.

For getting them to spawn: a full lock works well, although there's some enemies that doesn't work on - the long boats on stage 3 immediately spring to mind, for example. Killing popcorn enemies also makes blue cubes spawn, sometimes you have to kill them quickly after they enter the screen, others don't seem to have this limit.

The other way is when hyper runs out and the orange cubes transform to blue, but I'm not sure this starts the timer.

@spatularThanks! You're not far off yourself now seemingly.

48 minutes ago, spatular said:

ImmaculateClump is still laughing at us :D

Every time I see a new post in this thread, I'm expecting the worst :D

Yeah, I think killing things fast seems to be the way.
Wide shot for popcorn so you can get as many of the little buggers as you can as soon as they appear, and then trying to go full lock on for the bigger enemies (which usually means trying to get a bit closer to lock on faster).

Hard to tell if the inconsistencies are there just to fuck with you and keep you guessing or what.

Made it to 301m but totally blew it in stages 4 and 5. I stayed in DD pretty much throughout the first three stages. Had six lives going into stage 4. Really screwed it on the elevator in stage 5. 

Edit: As ever, first run of the day is the best. Dying in stage one trying to chase it. :lol:

It was only a matter of time.
Excellent work :D

Yeah, those later stages have suddenly become way more daunting now that I'm pushing past autobomb and there's so much to lose.
I'm assuming there's loads of scoring potential there so unless you've absolutely aced it up to that point, it's a waste to just sit on your eggs and play it safe.