Shmups

Dr Seedyman

@spatular Thanks, man.
Yeah, I suppose the idea is to stay near the top and collect the medals as soon as you can so that the next one that comes will be worth the higher value, and keep them ticking up like that.
Easier said than done, but I'm sure once we have the knack for it, it'll get easier to do.

I see he's using 15hz rapid fire. I think I just left it at the default 8, I suppose there's no punishment for going as high as you like when the ranks locked, but I'll keep it at 15 in case I manage to do the unlock trick.

On 21/07/2021 at 12:20, phillv85 said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but it had passed me by. Illmatic Envelope + Radirgy Swag double pack is available to pre-order on Play-Asia. If you order before the end of July you also get free shipping.

Looks banging, loving the cover art on that too. And I’m still waiting on a ReadytoDispatch release on Radirgy Swag for over a year which may never materialise 😭

I’m finding that more and more so called limited runs are getting general releases. I’ll never bother with them again.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, I suppose the idea is to stay near the top and collect the medals as soon as you can so that the next one that comes will be worth the higher value, and keep them ticking up like that.

yeah that's exactly it, i think it's only really that one section of train track you need to do that trick on in the first stage (it's still really difficult to do), to get the medal value high enough to trigger the special mode, the rest of the medals can be got more normally iirc. not even sure exactly what unlocks the special mode but think it is supposed to be related to high medal value.

nice one Klatrymadon! i'll get G-Darius.

Also received cotton reboot recently, initial impressions were not great, hard to see what was going on, shooting through the gems was cool though, i'll give it more of a go at some point.

Yeah, I was lucky, it never seemed to cause me any issues. Hopefully you can get used to it and block out those big numbers!

Got my 1cc in deathtiny mode today. 203,999,976.

Yeah man, this mode is fun as!
Like others have said it's a bit daunting seeing the rest of the game that you were never good enough to see in the past.

You're just like "I will NEVER be ready for this! With the proper hitbox and no autobomb? No chance!" :lol:

This mode is amazing though!

Oh look, there's another secret trick - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63694

That's ringing a bell actually, I think that's why I didn't get my 1cc, because I was being cocky and going into this daft ura thing!

@strider Get that cellophane off black bird this instant!

Which is your favourite that you've played so far?

What's that one second from the right, second row down?

31 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

@strider Get that cellophane off black bird this instant!

Which is your favourite that you've played so far?

What's that one second from the right, second row down?

Black Bird only just turned up. I've been enjoying Rolling Gunner a lot.

The game you asked about is Quad Fighter

You're just like "I will NEVER be ready for this! With the proper hitbox and no autobomb? No chance!" :lol:

Hold up, is the hitbox different? I watched the STG Weekly for the arcade game yesterday and they seemed to think it was like 4 pixels. Can't get much smaller than that!

That's ringing a bell actually, I think that's why I didn't get my 1cc, because I was being cocky and going into this daft ura thing!

It does go away on autobomb or death though, so at least it's not a permament difficulty increase. I remember using it a lot in my 273m run though (I must've really enjoyed it as I had a look and I uploaded 6 Deathtiny videos back when :lol:).

Just watched @Spoonmanget the Deathtiny 1CC (Congratulations again!), and it's really triggered my urge to get into Shmups again. I've not played any for a few months since I was just pottering in Dangun's arrange mode (was it just called Fever?).

4 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@Jonster How's your shmup coming along? I think it's got lots of potential! 

I've got to the bit where I really need to do the sound so I've not properly done anything in a couple of months. Work is also a lot busier though so it's been a bit of a struggle to find the time and motivation to learn how to do this part of it. It'll get there it may just be a little while yet.

I did get Tate mode working though, so that was nice.

20 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Just watched @Spoonmanget the Deathtiny 1CC (Congratulations again!), and it's really triggered my urge to get into Shmups again. I've not played any for a few months since I was just pottering in Dangun's arrange mode (was it just called Fever?).

Thank you! :D
Appreciate you dropping by; I really wasn’t expecting to get the 1cc after the first run of the night, but there we go. I have no idea whatsoever about the “proper” way to play/route Ketsui, so completely winged it.  Was good fun and a few people were watching including Pearl who’s quite handy, so that was nice.

Yes, Fever mode is Dangun and that’s also awesome fun.

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

Hold up, is the hitbox different? I watched the STG Weekly for the arcade game yesterday and they seemed to think it was like 4 pixels. Can't get much smaller than that!

Oh right, maybe it is the same. It just feels smaller because you're less worried about getting hit!

58 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Aaaay! Nice one, Jonster! That'll give me something to reach for. I did a bit better tonight.

Yeah, I love how you can choose when to go back into that die-death mode if you fall out, and choose when to push it and when to play it safe. It's also way easier to get into than that bloody garegga one, thank god!

y3XCNsT.jpg

Nicely done, @Spoonman!

Enjoying the Ketsui chat.

Quick question, if I may. I don't understand how you trigger the double bullets mode. I've read various things and seen a couple of replays but I don't understand the conditions. I've got a higher score at the stage 1 midboss than some replays I've seen, I've triggered a level 3 Deathtroy before the midboss. I've never quite understood this but enjoying the chat and just had a couple of runs. As always, I end up clearing with around 200m no matter what I do. I never manage to trigger it. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

Do you mean the Death Die mode? You activate it by holding bomb until the bar in the bottom right is full. You can even do it inbetween stages so they start in that mode.

Slowly, slowly, catchy Jonny.

I've no doubt you'll soon overtake my score :lol:

1 hour ago, Jonster said:

Do you mean the Death Die mode? You activate it by holding bomb until the bar in the bottom right is full. You can even do it inbetween stages so they start in that mode.

Cheers, mate. It works! I've been trying to figure that out for literally months. :D

No clear but I improved my score by about 50%. Seems like something cool happened in St. 5, kept spawning zakos around the midboss phase and hit some serious slowdown. Think that probably made the biggest impact on my score but I dunno. 

Will upload the run shortly. 

I managed to put about 60m on my Deathtiny score. All clear, but haven't broken that 200m point barrier yet. Highest was 196m.

Tried Shikhondo for the first time as well today after owning it for years. Wasn't all that impressed, anyone else played it? Does it get better as you get deeper in?

Just had a quick look and it starts slow but gets going second half of stage 3. From just before Stage 5 midboss is where the score increases pretty quickly. A number of greedy deaths but it feels like you're supposed to YOLO it for score. 

It looks like if you've got any orange cubes on screen, your score starts motoring, otherwise it barely changes at all. In Death Die mode it goes up faster. Just realised that autobomb cancels DD mode, as well, so you want to be active with the bombing. Defo gonna aim to break 300m. Awesome game. 

(294m)

Haha, actually said "Fuck off!" out loud when I saw that :lol:
Christ sake. Well played.

3 hours ago, Jonster said:

I've no doubt you'll soon overtake my score :lol:

I wish I shared your confidence in my ability!

Everyone's playing Ketsui! This has never happened before, we're always doing our own things. Muk summer carnival '21!

Yeah, Phil, Shikhondo is a bit of an also ran, you should still get your monies worth though. Last boss is a prick. I never did beat it - https://www.siliconera.com/shikhondo食魂徒-soul-eaters-developers-share-story-mythological-bosses/

For the stage 5 boss, we designed the barrage pattern with many curves as if a snake is moving around the screen. It seems like many people finds this pattern difficult to clear. To give users some tips on clearing this stage, it is much easier to avoid the barrage if you move fast enough. The pattern is not a targeting type and it simply moves once to the left and once to the right. Because of the strong curve, many people feel it as targeting type pattern, but it really is not.

That might help you more than it did me.

22 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haha, actually said "Fuck off!" out loud when I saw that :lol:
Christ sake. Well played.

Cheers. Many flukes but that's the beauty of Ketsui! I remember watching an icono run (I think) and every time he died he hit bomb immediately to keep the chain going, got up to like level 12 Deathtroy or something. I guess that's what you need to really score big. 

I’m up to 226m but didn’t get the clear that time, died on the stage 5 boss. Still got some way to catch @Marlew, some score that!

Thanks @ImmaculateClump, I’ll go back to Shikhondo later. For now though I think I’m going to try and press more points out of Deathtiny. I’ve not enjoyed point pressing on a game so much since Dai Fukkatsu.