Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Oh, my god. I'd never have the balls to do something like that.
I genuinely get stage fright when I press the record button on shadowplay :lol:

Good luck, brother!
You've got this!

Just to be clear. Have I got this right? You've entered a shmup showcase promising to 1cc a game you've never 1cc'ed before?

SDOJ is the one where you get like one life as well, innit?

You'd best cue that training montage!

Go on, lad!

Indeed, I submitted before I had the 1cc clear. I never thought I would be selected. However, since then, I've 1cc'd the Xbox 360 mode, which is the one I will be live streaming. It's somewhat neglected, as most people think it's bloody easy, but I thought "sod that, it's just the right amount of challenge for me" and so the steaks are high. A guaranteed 1cc it is not. 

Indeed, you have 1 life, but a health gauge. That gauge starts at 10,000 and each hit is a -2000 autobomb. Normal bomb is -1500. The only way to increase the health, is to collect green stars when hypering... but that increases the rank! So it's a trade off between score, health, rank, and risk. 

The whole event should be great to watch (aside from my absolute shitshmupping), with my own personal fav coming at the end of day 2 with Kayar doing his B-EXPERT in SDOJ (on the 6k PCB, yeah). It's some of the most impressive play you'll ever witness, arguably.

I intend on playing this on my Astro City ❤️ 

Edit: thanks for the support guys :)

yeah SDOJ is super hard! good luck Spoonman :D

in an attempt to work out what that tweet said i used google translate - sometimes it came out with dodonpachi saito - which is close, but i think i prefer this translation of sdoj:

Angry Read Bee Maximum Wolf

Yeah I will indeed grind it, try to get the 1cc down and this "routing" malarky people always talk about. I love shmups and some "routes" come naturally to me, other times I have no fucking clue and it's chaos. 

Ideally I will try to be pushing the rank up pretty high to a) make it a challenge/interesting to watch and b) get some decent score on the go.

Right now I am nobbing around with Dimahoo (MiSTer CPS2) and for some reason ESPrade again. I am away from home at the end of the week, and will take the switch, so I'll maybe do some mushi.

However, I will be grinding the hell out of SDOJ after that, and think I'll stream most of it if I can.

I completely agree! It's weirdly "dynamic" to play, I feel. Good OST as well, and the art is great. It looks so good on cab. Bonus is that I can play it on switch to get used to some patterns etc. I can get to stage 4 without being hit, then it goes to shit. That rhymes. Haiku times?

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I completely agree! It's weirdly "dynamic" to play, I feel. Good OST as well, and the art is great. It looks so good on cab. Bonus is that I can play it on switch to get used to some patterns etc. I can get to stage 4 without being hit, then it goes to shit. That rhymes. Haiku times?

Yeah grease dynamic is the word, dynamic hit box!

I had a try tonight and I liked playing as the lass best because I can use her stupid little clown-nose head as a guide, get that between the bullets and I might be alright.

I had three or four "what the mighty eff hit me?" moments playing with the other characters, I'm sure the hitboxes are in their fucking shoes, so I think that's the way forward for me.

Yeah stage 4 is where it gets sexy. Stage 5 is my wall currently, it always goes bellytits before I get to the boss.

I'm gonna have a go of Schildmaid normal again tonight. It's a new build so I had to run through easy again the other day to unlock it so that was a good excuse to beat that.

Apparently you get to phase 5 by no missing the first 3 loops, so that's what I did wrong last time. Wrote a cheque my ass couldn't cash!

^ you might be able to turn hit boxes on in the options? i think the hitboxes are on/slightly below the neck, but yeah a shmup with a person shaped sprite does make it harder to know where the hitbox is. there's also this but some images are missing now:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=6133

Does anyone know how the systems work in assault shell, and/or have any ship recommendations? i've been looking for info but failed to find anything. tried all the ships, they all seem alright but think i do better with the auto aim, or wide shot ones. and i know about the double hyper thing (you gain orange/yellow charge, when full you can fire an orrange/yellow hyper, then you collect red charge and can fire a red hyper if you charge it before the ring around your ship runs out). sometimes i seem to get hit and not lose any life, and sometimes gain life back (seems to be related to using hypers), and there's a shield meter - and i don't understand what this stuff is for/why is it happening?

43 minutes ago, spatular said:

^ you might be able to turn hit boxes on in the options?

Ah, nice one. I didn't even think to check. Aye, m2 will have put an option in for that, I'm sure.

I like the green ship in assault shell.
The "random cancel array" I like to use for my special weapon.

I've made a video as it's probably easier to show and tell rather than just tell.

I've done it in the void arrange mode since the mechanics are the same across all modes, only in this mode you get an extra level of hyper.

https://streamable.com/85usqc

- Shoot baddies. Also use your special weapon to cancel bullets
 - collect the medals until your hyper gauge fills
 - go into hyper
 - do it all again

It really is that simple.
Baddies get more dangerous depending on which level of hyper you're in.

You can see I'm using the special weapon right at the start there, just to show, I cancelled hardly any bullets, but that's the idea with the special weapon, it converts bullets to medals.
You want to be using this loads as it recharges dead quick and it'll help you build your hyper gauge (at the bottom left) way quicker.

Try not to nurse it and treat it like a panic bomb.

I think you just come out of your hyper instead of losing a shield if you're hypering when you get hit. It's really generous like that. great fun.

Yeah, you earn shields from something, points or whatever, I don't know. it's been a while.
I might start playing that again soon. The void arrange is so much fun. I really enjoy it. I know there's a couple of bosses that drop extra shields so you can have even more than you started with.

Just got done playing Schildmaid.

Phase 5 brings the pain. I think I'm gonna have to suicide before the end of phase 3, just to make sure I get to 4 for my first clear.

Look at the absolute plight of this.

https://streamable.com/ezzk7m

Tried playing for score, scored less than when I didn't. I'm, sure we've all been there :S

^ awesome, cheers ImmaculateClump! Ive not tried the random cancel one yet. And yeah star pickup from bosses seems to extend the health bar. I need to get a better button config so i can press the special weapon more easily. Been really enjoying it.

edit - played some more, don't think you get a shield/auto bomb when hypering but seem to have a shield when going in/out of hyper. thought i'd finished it but surprise last boss got me. i keep getting hit by a really hard pattern but it's only in the middle of the screen, need to remember to move to the side for that bit.

Had a blast playing ESPrade on the Switch last night. I won’t have a bad word said about it, it’s brilliant. I really like the shooting mechanic and how different it is to most games. I agree the hit box position takes a bit of getting used to, but you really do get used to it. It doesn’t really move weirdly, rather your character kind of rotates around it when they turn. I dunno, I don’t mind it.

I was playing Arcade plus with all the extra voice acting and with the 2019 soundtrack and it was bloody brilliant. 

11 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Seeing that screenshot from the Switch version makes me wonder if the hit box is in a different location to the arcade version. I’d swear it’s not in the middle of the character.

My perception, is that they might well be the same (I think they are) but that the player sprite actually "moves" around the hitbox, which is what some people hate (I mean, it's not great, I admit). So the hitbox isn't always the same position on the character. I'll take some screenies if I can.

Edit:

image.png.0f824a4744a811d85e03fe46b6aa8399.png

10 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

My perception, is that they might well be the same (I think they are) but that the player sprite actually "moves" around the hitbox, which is what some people hate (I mean, it's not great, I admit). So the hitbox isn't always the same position on the character. I'll take some screenies if I can.

Hmm interesting, you might be right there, I always seem to take a hit when I'm moving directly up the screen, if that changes the position of the hitbox it would make a lot of sense.

Gah, I've ran out of backslaps. Why is there a limit?! Were people making alt accounts and love bombing themselves to ego heaven?

Nice one, Spoony. Really appreciate the effort on that!

Right, so it looks like the hitbox is always aligned with the head, so use that as your guide for threading the needle.

Don't get too excited when you read this, because we've been here many times before.

Cave making a new (probably mobage) game.

https://contents.xj-storage.jp/xcontents/37600/20fd247e/72d9/4f24/a5e8/648cd95e6b26/140120210713466022.pdf

pleased to announce that it will develop a new game with the IP license of the shooting game monument "Touhou Project". .. This work is a completely new game that our company, which has a track record of developing shooting games such as the "Donpachi Bee" series and "Gothic wa Mahou Otome ~ Contract quickly! ~", Puts all its secrets into it around 2022. We are planning to deliver it. Details will be announced one by one, so please look forward to future information disclosure.

What the actual? So they've paid to release an official fan game which will probably be on mobile, if we're honest with ourselves.

Probably nothing to get excited about, unless it comes to consoles/pc too, but still, news worth knowing.

Nice work ‘clump! Impressive score. For me, I want this game on the switch as I think it lends itself well to being a :pick up on the sofa” kind of game. The scoring system really is fun and taught me a lot about chain management etc.

Regarding 2hou x CAVE. On one hand “cool” and on the other… from what I see/read/get shouted at from Touhou fans, I can’t say I am into the franchise. I did like some of the artwork etc but the games themselves look way too bland for me, no matter how good they are. Plus, I don’t have a PC and can’t be bothered setting anything up to play one. 

But x CAVE? That’s pretty cool. I do think it’ll be a skin/characters in their mobile game. I’m just not one of these people that hopes for better things. I kind of stopped hoping around 1997 but that’s a different story that I won’t get into here.

However, if CAVE release a new game on PS4 or Switch, it’ll be a day 1 purchase for me, so at least there’s that.

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

I want this game on the switch as I think it lends itself well to being a :pick up on the sofa” kind of game.

Are you having an actual laugh? Runs last a bleeding hour! and the game is endless on hard mode!

Actually does the switch have that thing where you can just put it to sleep and wake it up and you carry on where you left off? Because that would actually be perfect for this game!

Yeah, I can see this working in handheld mode, precise input isn't too big of a deal, especially on easy mode.

Yeah, the official touhou games just feel so sloooooow and boring.

I remember one game I tried, someone said it was a good place to start, I was nearly falling asleep during my first run, genuinely physically yawning, got right to the end and then on the final boss fight it suddenly decided to introduce this mechanic where it would flip the screen and your controls upside down and back to front.

I proceeded to lose all my lives and uninstall the fucking game.

1 minute ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Are you having an actual laugh? Runs last a bleeding hour! and the game is endless on hard mode!

Actually does the switch have that thing where you can just put it to sleep and wake it up and you carry on where you left off? Because that would actually be perfect for this game!

Yeah, I can see this working in handheld mode, precise input isn't too big of a deal, especially on easy mode.

Yup, literally that :D

It's less about "levels" and more about "rounds". Like, how many rounds can you take, vs "i hit a wall at stage 4". So that is indeed what I would like to do, because not being able to do that at present means I really feel I have to specifically dedicate a time window to the game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to a series with such a "DIY" ethos, where a lot of the cultural production happens at the fans' end, when it ends up in the hands of Cave, of all companies. Will it get the kind of lavish treatment we once expected of their main shmup releases, or will this be (like most of their output since SDOJ) a pure potboiler work, something to stay afloat with for a little longer? Will it be for exclusive arcade platforms like the Exa Arcadia, or iOS, or will it receive a big console push? There's really no predicting what this is going to end up being!

Well, I understand they're doing quite well with the mobile games they have, so expect they'll incorporate some 2hou into that. I don't see it being eXa nor console. That's my no-prediction, prediction :D

Double pack incoming for PS4. ...even though I own Ketsui on xbox and have ESPrade on MiSTer...digital and physical switch, I could not resist....

image.png.9fb740c268cfc1358a683139b18af858.png

5 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I really feel I have to specifically dedicate a time window to the game.

Yeah, man. You have to know you'll have an hour which isn't always easy.

M2 direct tomorrow. Talking about that aleste arcade game and some games to be announced.

"Titles released this year" will be announced. The keyword is "tiger" !?

I'm guessing one will be "Tiger-heli"? First of their toaplan releases?

I think they usually do it on their youtube, don't they? - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Yy0RpNVzDWFotP0ce2gLw

I suppose it'd be bad form to link directly to the site so i won't do that, but the M2's aleste game has been dumped already.

zmR7RL1.jpg

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Well, I understand they're doing quite well with the mobile games they have, so expect they'll incorporate some 2hou into that. I don't see it being eXa nor console. That's my no-prediction, prediction :D

Double pack incoming for PS4. ...even though I own Ketsui on xbox and have ESPrade on MiSTer...digital and physical switch, I could not resist....

image.png.9fb740c268cfc1358a683139b18af858.png

Where am I looking for MiSTer Esp Ra.De?