Shmups

Dr Seedyman

49 minutes ago, geldra said:

Went for an LG something or other. (24GN600)

Looks good to me. That'll do it!

51 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

So Dariusburst CS is currently on sale, but Dariusburst AC EX+ is coming soon as well.

Is the latter an upgrade or a sequel? Can't really seem to find a conclusive answer. Maybe a bit of both?

It just looked like more dariusburst to me, so I skipped it. I'd go for CS, especially since it's on sale at the minute and has a lot more content.

@Klatrymadon will know for sure.

@ImmaculateClump @Cyhwuhx

Yeah, it's slightly confusing but Dariusburst CS is a port of Dariusburst AC EX (minus some of the Event Mode features) plus a new single-screen, console-oriented mode called Chronicle Saviors, and a bunch of DLC for that mode. The new release "Dariusburst AC EX+" is literally just a very bare-bones port of the arcade game which restores some of the Event Mode stuff (which is very cool and features some new music), and adds the Murakumo ship from the Chronicle Saviors mode to the main arcade game. However, it definitely doesn't include Chronicle Saviors mode itself!

I'd only really recommend AC EX+ to series obsessives like myself, or completionist/collector types, because CS just has so, so much more to offer, and can probably be had for half the price.

9 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

@ImmaculateClump @Cyhwuhx

Yeah, it's slightly confusing but Dariusburst CS is a port of Dariusburst AC EX (minus some of the Event Mode features) plus a new single-screen, console-oriented mode called Chronicle Saviors, and a bunch of DLC for that mode. The new release "Dariusburst AC EX+" is literally just a very bare-bones port of the arcade game which restores some of the Event Mode stuff (which is very cool and features some new music), and adds the Murakumo ship from the Chronicle Saviors mode to the main arcade game. However, it definitely doesn't include Chronicle Saviors mode itself!

I'd only really recommend AC EX+ to series obsessives like myself, or completionist/collector types, because CS just has so, so much more to offer, and can probably be had for half the price.

Well that narrows it down quite a bit. Thanks! Onwards to blasting Zuntata over the speakers!

Such a pitiful increase.

187,390 - https://streamable.com/9p9n09

Waaah! I just wanna be best in the world. Is that too much to ask?
The will is there, it's just my brain and body holding me back.

I don't know how other people are going so fast! They've got like 30 seconds left on the clock at the end!

Mamma didn't raise no tenth place chump. Not gonna let these oafs steal my dinner money.

edit: 188,260. Creeping up soooo slowly.

mwD99Lx.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

9 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh shit. @Marlew is gonna wet her knickers! :D

I only just got back up off the floor. This is why I bought a switch! Hoped for this stuff since day one. Absolutely nuts. Can't quite believe 3 of them are coming. Amazing. I played Mushi and Esp2 at lunch today, and DFK last night! Christ. To have them on Switch is a game changer for me (or my Switch). What a portable shmup machine this has become!

33 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh shit. @Marlew is gonna wet her knickers! :D

Jizzed myself senseless. Hope they have decent input lag. Gotta be honest, none are my favourite Cave games but I really really hope it means that Esp 1, Futari and DOJ will be on their way at some point. 

1cc'ed DFK and mushi on pc but espgaluda 2 is one that I never put much time into on the 360.

I think it was quite near the start of my shmup journey when I tried it and I couldn't quite get my head around it. Too many buttons.
I'd like to try it again.

Should probably get round to clearing the first game first though!
Can get to the last pattern. I need to put that back on my to do list.

Took a couple of score competitions to get into DFK. I don't know if I'd have played it much of my own accord without powering through for the competitions, but once I got into it, I learned to like it!
Quite an easy clear for cave, strong style. Mushi's not bad either though the bullets get hella fast later on. Mushi's fab.

I wonder if these are switch only or if the other consoles are getting some love.

Blimey, that was quick! :D

Try the 1.5 version, spoony!
That's really good fun.
It rewards you for playing risky, the idea is to point blank the enemies and collect the amber that spills out and the rank rises the better you do.

Good way to learn the stages since if you're not playing for score, the rank will stay low and bullets will be a lot slower.

Nice little guide here that does a good job of keeping things brief - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549288944

@ImmaculateClump Good tip! I defo need to learn this more, I tend to bomb out somewhere in stage 3 but having just fed through for a 3CC, I think it'll be pretty doable. The boss patterns are fairly tame compared to Ketsui or DOJ or Futari. It's more that I kept getting sniped or walled by some stuff I'd need to learn. Great fun though, love the soundtrack and aesthetic and I'll definitely end up playing much more of it on the Switch. 

Stage 4 is a nightmare for me.
Those flying green beetle things and those nasty dragons.
No matter how many time I play that stage, the layout of the dragons just never seems to sink in, I always get surprised and cornered.

Like you say, it's definitely no futari, but it's a really fun game.

^ yeah good tip about the extra life, will have to try and get that.

mushi seems like the 360 (edit - pc too i guess) version ported, i'm not really picky on this stuff so it seems good to me. although on one hand a new port from m2 would probably have been better it wouldn't have come out over here or been so cheap.

what's the trick to get a more powerful shot? is it something like tap autofire while holding fire, or visa versa? (or it's possible i'm thinking of the wrong game)

edit - seems like it might be for maniac and ultra only and might need messing around with the autofire settings - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=9671

"2.1.5 HCTA: Hold C and Tap A
Hold C and tap A as fast as you can, or if using rapid fire aim for A+ at 12hz- PS2 setting 4. This is the ‘power shot’, it increases your overall counter slightly faster than by just holding C (but not nearly as fast as SAT or FCT) and it is more powerful than just holding A or C, so it takes down bosses and bigger enemies faster. But the main advantage score-wise is that it increases the shot counter on smaller enemies faster where SAT and FCT do not work. A very tiresome technique for those who do not use rapid fire settings. Very useful in any case on the bosses in the game, as it destroys them faster."

i agree that while mushi and dfk aren't my favorite cave games they're still brilliant games. espgaluda 2 though is up there for me, maybe just a bit under the best ones.

Star hunter dx demo is go! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451030/Star_Hunter_DX/

Black Academy has a demo too, may as well try that - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1602390/BlackAcademy/

32 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

I want that switch grip that lets you attach the system to the pro controller. What is it called so I can shop for one?

Is it this? - https://old.reddit.com/r/shmups/comments/nyi09s/dont_need_the_flip_grip_cause_this_is_so_much/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChadDeeHodges

I searched for "vert" in the reviews and this came up - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/794065311/3d-printed-adjustable-nintendo-switch?ref=shop_review

Looks like the vertical one is sold out for now, so just keep checking.

Wow! Star Hunter DX feels effing amazing! It's coming to all the consoles too, by the way.
I totally ballsed up the boss, but I still beat my best score. I think you have go into bullet time before you chin it and there's another phase where you can score really big, but I left it too late!

https://streamable.com/x80llt

Whoops, left a little restart in there. I missed the first little popcorn thing and that pissed me off :D

Wide shot builds your combo/keeps it up a lot better I think so try to use that as much as you can I think and only use focus shot when you're in trouble or take to take down a big enemy quick.

Once you've used up your hyper, wait until there's lots of bullets on screen and bomb and suck them all up to build your hyper gauge, do this while your combo is low, just after you come out of your hyper.

Then you can build up your combo meter and hyper again.

It feels fantastic! Can't wait for this to come out.

Oh yeah, and grazing gives you bombs eventually, so do that as well.