Shmups

Dr Seedyman

I'm assuming this is the same telly on rtings? - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/the-sero

Not great response times, but for a 60hz ips, you can't be picky about that.

Not bad input lag for a telly. Less than 10ms.

Screen looks hella glossy though. Might be an issue if you're gonna be playing shmups a lot and spending a lot of time in space.

5 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:
Really nice lad from the caneandrinse team is involved in this. Look really promising!

Schildmaid MX

I got to do a bit of play testing on this and I really think it's going to be great. I don't generally like slower hori shmups very much so it wasn't expecting a lot but the shield/absorption mechanic is a hell of a lot of fun. It's really satisfying when you level up enough to turn the bullets gold and you let the screen fill up before triggering absorb and you sweep through the carpet with this golden bullet chime ringing like mad.

Very high score ceiling and cool risk/reward stuff. There's also some subtle stuff in there like it's often better to drop your chain multiplier than to lose the bullet value because once you're golden, you can crank the multi right back up more quickly. 

Anyway, that's all pretty boring without playing the game but I hope it conveys some of my excitement, at least. Great graphics and music, as well. Hope it comes to consoles! 

Sounds fab!

Yeah, the speed looked a bit tame, but it sounds like the excitement is more in juggling the scoring mechanics.

7 hours ago, spatular said:

yeah it looks the same, i wasn't really going to get one, just impressed you can get a rotatable tv :D

Yeah, one guy in the comments there knows what's up and the others are like "whaaaa? whyyyy?"

Brook UFB's are back in stock at arcade world uk if anyone's been waiting for one - https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-ps4-ps3-xboxone-xbox360-wiiu-pc-switch-neogeo-psclassic.html

Yeah the collection is solid. The three games are blatant tributes to Gradius, Hyper Duel and Raiden but they are good tributes that I can get into and be fine with playing over the originals.

I just deleted Ghost Blade off my switch because I feel nothing when I play it. It cannot substitute for Dodonpachi despite the devs best efforts.

On 09/11/2020 at 09:13, Dig Dug said:

Satazius is the highlight of the three Astro Port titles (although a bit cheap at times)

https://streamable.com/wagvuq

hVVmTZT.jpg

Right, fair enough, gaps shoot fire. I'll know for next time.

Right, fair play, cieling shoots fire. I should have known. At least they're not dropping a piano on my head.

Right, what! even! Fly to the right? It's too hot on the left?

It's fun apart from these bits, I'll stick with it. Hopefully there's not too many more because they're testing my patience and that's just my first go!

Feels like it's trolling me now.

https://streamable.com/0u8cld

Sticks a big blue ship up my arse out of nowhere.

Then watch, there's a bit where it introduces those yellow doors to you and it's like "look, we're being fair, now you know to look out for these, maybe one will come up later on that you'll have t-YELLOW DOOR IN YOUR FACE AQAGHAHAHAHAHA!!"

The fire level could have done with better signposting. The speed level is Gradius to a fault.
I don't even think about lives on the first playtrough. I just need to complete the game and see all the bullshit first.
It gets better once you are past that.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haha. Yeah, I think that's definitely the way forward!

I'll credit feed next time and see what cheap dirty tricks are waiting for on the last stage before I go for the clear.

Play it like a console shooter at first and you'll be golden.

Picked up Gunlock (aka RaySomething, Layer Section, Galactic Attack) at the same time as Darius Gaiden and goddam Taito osts were the (smart) bomb back then!  I’m guessing it was Zuntata?

the game is alright too...

6 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Play it like a console shooter at first and you'll be golden.

Yeah, I ran through it there tonight.
Right, fair enough. That's doable. I just have to git gud.

Yeah man, that level where you gotta go fast. That's pretty brutal.

I've been experimenting with the different main weapons instead of just using the one the five way shooter, but I think you might need that weapon for that level. When the baddies start to bum rush you later on you need something shooting backwards to hit take out their missiles at least, so I'll have to remember to switch to that before that stage.

I like it! I probably tried the demo, ran into a couple of walls and got cheesed a couple of times and threw my toys out the pram.
Getting into it now :D

Aw man, so close!

https://streamable.com/4gb2q4

Feels like I just stood there waiting for that bullet to hit me!

Shmups are really good for teaching yourself how to manage anxiety, like. I was shaking like a leaf during that bit where you have to go through all the portals and I was just like "breath ... breath, you're not going to run into anything, ommmm" :D

Absolutely aced the speed stage, hope that wasn't a fluke, but I had some really stupid, easily avoidable deaths during loads of easy bits.
I can definitely do this now, I think, hopefully next time!

Yeeees!

MSJSzii.jpg

Not quite the clit throbber I was hoping for. I was playing much more sexily yesterday.

I got to the last stage with 4 lives left but then I went full on clown trousers and lost them all to some really stupid mistakes.

I'm usually golden on the last stage until I get to the bosses, but I was throwing my lives away with wild abandon today.

Really scrappy but I got through and that's what counts.

I think the five way shot main weapon is the way to go, but change to the last one you unlock on the far right, the red explosion on the stage that comes up just after the red volcano stage, you really need that for this annoying bastard bit

ZqhaFBY.jpg

I think you can change back to the five way shot after that, but the red explosion weapon does a lot more damage to the bosses I think, so might be just best to keep it. I did for that run.

I found that unleashing your charge attack on bosses as soon as they appear is a good idea, it does a canny bit of damage. Best to shoot that off and start building up another one straight away.

Thanks for the recommendation @Dig Dug

I don't think I would have bothered giving that another try if you hadn't been bigging it up!

Really enjoyed it.

I must have a better run in me. I'll try again.

I wonder how hard the next difficulty up is!

Astro Ports normal mode is usually quite generous, they're usually like a tutorial for hard mode which always feels more like the normal mode in other game, but this one, sheesh!

New shmup junkie video. Upcoming games.

I haven't watched it yet, but he mentions a caravan competition for Operation Steel. I can remember trying the demo and being a bit "mmmn, maybe", but this caravan mode is fabulous! You should definitely give it a try!

There's your score to beat - 173,730

https://streamable.com/4bqn16

Haven't really experimented with the different weapons yet but that "bore" feels like a really good all-rounder.

Is there anything he's missed that you're looking forward to?

On 11/06/2021 at 10:10, ImmaculateClump said:
Really nice lad from the caneandrinse team is involved in this. Look really promising!

Schildmaid MX

On 11/06/2021 at 16:18, Marlew said:

I got to do a bit of play testing on this and I really think it's going to be great. I don't generally like slower hori shmups very much so it wasn't expecting a lot but the shield/absorption mechanic is a hell of a lot of fun. It's really satisfying when you level up enough to turn the bullets gold and you let the screen fill up before triggering absorb and you sweep through the carpet with this golden bullet chime ringing like mad.

Very high score ceiling and cool risk/reward stuff. There's also some subtle stuff in there like it's often better to drop your chain multiplier than to lose the bullet value because once you're golden, you can crank the multi right back up more quickly. 

Anyway, that's all pretty boring without playing the game but I hope it conveys some of my excitement, at least. Great graphics and music, as well. Hope it comes to consoles! 

I've been fortunate enough to be an alpha tester on this game, and it's been challenging to not mention it over the months, when asked what I'm playing :)

Marlew sums it up pretty nicely there, as does Shmup Junkie in his latest video. I too, am all about TATE mode CAVE shooters, truth be told. However, in playing Schilmaid MX, something really clicked. There was definitely an entry barrier; a) it's horizontal, b) i was playing on a pad, c) the mechanics really are like nothing else. At first, you think it's slow and that it's a bit "easy", but that's a misstep on your part. I am focussing on 1cc's of various games and that's a huge achievement, and the score kind of follows you along with it (my experience with all the CAVE games). Not so with Schildmaid. The scoring mechanic is essential to understand in order to clear the game. The 1cc comes along with your score, not the other way around. It's really fun.

So, the aim of the game, is to get hit by a bullet when your shield is "primed" (i.e. not in DANGER recharge state). Get hit, and your shield enables. Then, all bullets change colour and are used to top up your score. Your shield is maintained by destroying enemies, or a better way to think about it, is "chaining". It's a score chain, sure, but now it's integral to survival. If you drop the chain, your shield is lost and you're in the DANGER recharge mode, and all bullets turn red and will insta-death you. With your shield up, normal lasers won't hurt you (just deplete the shield energy quicker). You have an "EX" weapon that will usually clear the screen. Sometimes this is a good thing (panic mode, or to quickly kill something to keep the chain), but can be bad (kill everything on screen thus you can't get another kill to keep the chain before the shield depletes). There's also a barrel roll, which will take homing missiles off your ass.

I'm not sure if I am doing the game justice, but it's a fun package and is rather addictive. 

Does anyone have any decent cheapish recommendations for a PC monitor (to use for retro emulation and actually, thinking about it, some indie PC shooters, in light of all the recommendations that come up in here)?  

I have to get a second screen for work so it makes sense to get one that can also work well with the odd shmup “on lunch”, ahem…

Yeah, shmup junkie is so good, he's great at quickly explaining the mechanics and the draw of a game so concisely and simply.

It's a very hard thing to do, I always end up tangling myself up in words and making people confused.

Even more pumped to play it after seeing that little spotlight at the start of the video and hearing your impressions!

Geldra, if I needed a 25 inch monitor right now and I had 600 quid to burn, I'd go for the Dell Alienware AW2521H.
You can tate it.
It's IPS but it's supposed to be plenty fast and that'll be nicer for working on.
Under 2ms input lag at native refresh rate.
Not so great at 60hz (8ms), but if you're running a PC, just keep the refresh rate high and turn off vsync.
Should be great for shmups and emulation.

If you ain't got 600 quid to piss up the wall, I'd go for something 144hz, that way you can leave off vsync and keep the refresh rate high, you won't notice any tearing and it keeps the input lag down.
TN is best for fast gaming, but if you're gonna be using it mostly for office work, you might want IPS.
I'd just go for something cheap and cheerful with a low input lag and a matte screen. A lot of the budget monitors you find nowadays are plenty good enough, or you'll get more for your money if you went with something second hand.

Cheers guys.  Has to be cheap and cheerful I’m afraid. Went for an LG something or other. (24GN600)

Its meant for work primarily as a second screen but obvs it wouldn’t hurt to be able to use it for some shmup action if I fancied it.