Shmups

Dr Seedyman

That capcom arcade stadium thingy came out on pc today.

Tried the free game, 1943 and it feels very nippy to me.
Playing at 144hz, vsync off with all the daft cabinet settings turned off or low.
Very similar to shmupmame in terms of input lag. No problems there.
I don't know how the other games fair, but that one plays well.

There is some slight hitching in the scrolling though, which isn't too bad, but it's ultra smooth in shmupmame, so it's still preferable.
Must be the forced triple buffering on consoles that's causing most of the input lag problems. Runs OK on pc.

Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. For the none computer savvy folk who just want a hassle free, pay your money, plug and play experience, going off that one game, I wouldn't talk people out of getting it.

There's your score to beat. Not bad for a first go!

d1dTjZC.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515950/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/19039/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium_Pack_1_Dawn_of_the_Arcade_84__88/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/19040/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium_Pack_2_Arcade_Revolution_89__92/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/19041/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium_Pack_3_Arcade_Evolution_92__01/

yeah, didn't do much for me, either, death adder.

It definitely seems to be a marmite game. Some people really love playing it for score.
Once I got the 1cc, I tried out a few other characters and then tried beating my score, but I just wasn't feeling it and ended up moving on.

It's just not very engaging, is it? Just constantly hugging bullets and waiting :S

While the environmental hazards like wind and ice weren't as annoying as I feared, they can get tae fuck, an' all.

Wolflame normal 1cc in the bag.

8gHhlK9.jpg

It's good, I really like the weapons in this game. They all feel viable, but one arm green and one arm blue seems to be the golden couple for most instances, at least on normal difficulty. I'm imagining mixing and matching the weapons strategically becomes a bigger part of the game on the harder difficulties.

I remember cacking my knickers and noping my way out of the demo as soon as the first sniper tank took my dinner money back when it launched, but I'm glad I gave it another shot since it was on sale. It's really not that bad on normal, so long as you keep moving and don't just sit there waiting for them to pick you off.

Currently £2.39. Good fun. - https://store.steampowered.com/app/448160/WOLFLAME/

I've been away from my home PC for a fair while so I picked up a used Thinkpad and now need to get back into the shmupping habit. I should get back to ZeroRanger really as I was pretty deep in that last time I could play anything but I'm a bit scared of going back to that cold.

I did manage a 1cc of Gun Nac this morning which I'd been messing around with on my hacked DS. Really fun game and super impressive for the NES. I would've managed this a lot sooner had I not been lazy and actually worked out how the shop/upgrades work as I was missing out on a tonne of bombs per run by not spending all my cash. It's quite an odd one to play as parts of it can be comically easy or really quite hard depending on how tooled up you are, there are an insane amount of pickups so you tend to be drowning in resources but it's very easy to tank a load of lives in a row if you die in the wrong spot. Also the NES sprite flickering can be your most deadly enemy at times. It all makes for a pleasantly chaotic experience, I don't know how typical of Compile that is having only really spent short amounts of time with a few of their others in the distant past but I definitely intend to get deeper into their output, probably starting with MUSHA.

I've been playing a fair bit of Crimzon Clover as well, having spent years going through a cycle of forgetting how good it is then being surprised by the quality whenever I start it up. Probably some sort of stupid doujin snobbery on my part I imagine. Novice normal and novice boost are done but the stage 3 boss is as far as I've managed in arcade mode. I think I'll be chipping away at that for a very long time because a) it's really fucking hard and b) I can't grind out practice because constantly tapping the lock-on absolutely ruins my hand to the point that it's a bad idea to do more than about 30 minutes at a time. Shame, because I'm really loving it.

Thinking about making Strikers 1945 II the next one to focus on (with the laptop turned sideways on the couch like a true pro) since I've not really spent quality time with a Psikyo game as yet.

I tried Gradius just before, since it's his birthday.

Ooft, losing all your power ups when you die, that's no fun. I understand what they mean by "gradius syndrome".

Without that I might have persevered. It's pretty good fun. I'll go back to it when I'm feeling more masochistic!

Gun nac looks fun! I really liked the aleste compilation so I might have to try this soon, rsdio!

Yeah man, crimzon clover is no joke. You unlocked the z type ship? That seems to make things easier.

If you're gonna try and do a psikyo game, my first psikyo 1cc was gunbird, I played with Yuan Nang and her melee attack feels like cheat mode at times!

Played this tonight. Got the 1cc in normal mode.

东方栖霞园 ~ Blue devil in the Belvedere

HBo5GiQ.jpg

A guy commented on one of my videos and I sniffed around his channel and saw he was playing this and it looked more fun than the official games so I gave it a shot.

They've done another game that I might get after this one - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252320/Touhou_Kikamu__Elegant_Impermanence_of_Sakura/

I'm wondering if Sakuya is a noob character.

I went with the red lass first and it was very nearly a blind clear until the last boss sent me packing.

Sakuya's focus shot is homing and it just felt like I had to worry way less about hitting stuff and just dodging instead. Felt easier, though I don't know if that's because I had already played it through and had a good idea of what was coming.

It's canny good. I like it! The official touhou games I've played always left me cold, but I do tend to like some of the touhou-likes.

Exceed 3rd is one of my favourites, and cosmodreamer, that sort of thing.

12 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Gun nac looks fun! I really liked the aleste compilation so I might have to try this soon, rsdio!

It's well worth a blast through, let me know how you find it. Once you suss out the shop menu you might want to switch to the Japanese version since they dialled down little bits of the wackiness for the Western release for some reason, but in a really patchy and arbitrary way. Like the West is fine with shooting carrots and rabbits but a matchbook is an absolute no-no. Maybe they thought they'd be encouraging arson in American children or something.

12 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah man, crimzon clover is no joke. You unlocked the z type ship? That seems to make things easier.

Yeah, though it did take a good while with the PC version's knack of deleting progress and generally being a bit wonky. I was expecting it to be more OP from what I'd read but I actually still prefer the Type III at the moment. I'm much better at dodging with that but it seems like Type Z is objectively better in most ways so probably best to try and get used to it.

11 hours ago, Rsdio said:

It's well worth a blast through, let me know how you find it.

Yeah man. Got a few games in my to do list, but I'll get round to it soon enough.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go, euro version until I get what's going on and then switch to the japanese one. Thanks for the heads up on that!

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

Alien Death Mob is good unpretentious fun but I'm having a job seeing where my guy is amongst all the arcade mayhem. So many deaths because I lost myself.

I don't know what the default is but I had the zoom set to 1.4x and that seemed to help a lot with the readability. I didn't have too many issues, but I do know what you mean, I tried playing at first with the screen zoomed right out and I kept losing my place, feels a lot better when the camera is following you.

Shmup Junkie has done a nice video in celebration of free doujin games, spurred on by Hauser's efforts to curate a list on the shmups wiki - https://shmups.wiki/library/Free_to_Play

No energy left to play tonight so that was a nice way of getting my fix :D

Got my 1cc in Gun-nac tonight. It's a bit bloody long, innit? Almost 50 minutes it took me!

Nice relaxing change of pace for a quiet bank holiday monday night though.

I think I might have been playing a bit too cautiously, bombing a lot. I just assumed since it was giving me so many, I should be using them. Don't know if it's a decent score or not, but it was fun.

AODpDyO.jpg

I think I've got the hang of the scoring in that blue devil game now, there's a mini manual thing in the game where it gives you it all in quick bullet points which is nice. Might try hard next time because my last two scores were so similar, it looks like I've hit my ceiling there.

WGKSvJX.jpg

The STG weekly on Natsuki is up.

Nice, I thought you'd clock it pretty quickly. It says a lot for how entertaining it is that I didn't even notice it's that long! I'm not generally a fan of padded out console shooters but I don't think it drags at all really.

Yeah, the amount of power-ups is insane really. I've mentioned before that I've always been terrible for hoarding bombs in these games and I think this might've cured me, initially I went through with saves trying to do each section without bombing at all to scope it out and some of it was actually pretty nasty that way, especially if you don't happen to have the optimal weapon at the time either (and it's very easy to pick one up that you don't want by accident). Tree Bastard became probably my most feared foe, closely followed by Aztec Tile Breaking Arsehole. With a few of the right kind of bomb they're totally neutered though. It's quite an 'all or nothing' approach that's pretty unusual, I think. Not quite the same as dying in Gradius/R-Type, getting pegged back to checkpoints and struggling to gradually recover, it's more manic in that you can lose or gain resources really quickly without the pace dropping.

Had a casual shmup day for the first time in a while.

Picked up Atomic Robo Kid, Terra Cresta and Takotan in switch eshop sales.

ARK I first played years ago on mega drive. Lack of dedicated weapon button aside (why is aim lock and weapon change the same button???) the game has held up well. It has split routes for replay value and difficulty that doesn’t take the piss. Not sure if having open exploration hurts it’s classification as a shmup but either way it’s solid. The level design is sensible, bullets can be baited, mistakes are always on you and besides the bomb all the weapons are useful.

Terra Cresta I didn’t get far in but what I did play I really liked. The power up system trades mobility for fire power and for a mid-80s title that kind of design dynamic is what makes the game stand out.

Keeping your power ups is tough but unlike certain other 1985 shooters this game feels like it was designed to be played both with and without. Lack of continues will be a challenge but I’ll be coming back to this for sure.

Takotan I played through but I wasn’t feeling it. I don’t know if it is because of the dodge mechanic but the games level design is just lacking. The biggest design flaw is the lack of signposting for what is and isn’t foreground: sometimes it blocks your bullets, sometimes it doesn’t meaning I was crashing into things I didn’t know were walls and taking damage.

Some levels have sections where you are forced to use the background dodge mechanic but for the most part it feels like a clutch used to bypass level design. I’d feel like I was being punished for trying to play within the level design. It recharges so fast it might as well be always active.

Many of the weapons are either too weak, too slow, lacking in range or have too thin a shot. It’s overbalanced like they wanted everything to be on the same power level as the default shot.

I tried the two hit kill panic mode but it’s the same game. The only level checkpoints are at the boss encounter meaning you’re pretty much forced to play perfectly to see any progress. Terra Cresta had more generous progression. I’m probably not coming back to it, I bought it with gold coins so I don’t feel any pressure to get my moneys worth.

Finished the day off with a playthrough on Super Hydorah. It’s honestly one of my favours shmups on the switch. A bit of a Gradius-a-like but with enough of its own spin to feel unique.

I said I want to 1CC this eventually, I might start practicing now that I’ve played through it again. Once I’ve no missed the easy mode I’ll go for the 1CC on the regular mode.

The level select and weapon unlocks leave room for route strategy as some levels are shorter and easier but have weaker weapons. Could probably speedrun this game because of that design. You don’t need to play every level to get the best ending so there is flexibility there.

Wow! You lucky git! That looks amazing :D

So what you got running in there, spoony?

Is it actual pcb's or a pc running mame or your switch or FPGA or what?

10 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Tree Bastard

Haha, yeah, that tree is a long armed prick!
I lost a lot of lives there on my first go so I was ready with the bomb finger when I met him again!

Somebody on discord said that I have to play the hardest difficulty next time with ricocheting bullets turned on.
Not sure what I did to upset them but that sounds like a scary 50 minutes!

Would definitely like to try the next difficulty up at least, but bouncy bullets sounds evil!

It's so fast and well optimised for a nes game. Compile really knew how to push the hardware.

I know what you mean about the blinking sprites tripping you up.
Yeah, the exploding tile guy was where it was most noticeable - https://streamable.com/qfliri

If you go through again it might be worth trying weapon 3 on the tree and just staying above him, I never happened to have that at the time so not sure if it'd work. The arm attack feels pretty much impossible to react to.

45 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

I've been having too much fun with my latest acquisition (not the iPad).

Pfft, that's not a setup. THIS is a setup.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.8b7b9a805d7b8e42ea962b59e631c8a5.jpg

(jealous)

On 12/05/2021 at 19:15, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, arcade stick took me a good 3 months before I was as good as I had been with a pad and then almost a year I think before I started seeing better results.

Worth it though!

The raiden games are no joke. I'd maybe play more forgiving games while you're learning stick so it's less frustrating when you make mistakes.

My big problem was that I was forever hitting the diagonals by accident.

Something chill with autobomb would be great. Have you played blue wish resurrection plus? - https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/winnt/game/fh452584.html

What's the impetus to learn stick for shmups? For fighting games it's generally seen as sub-optimal these days, as the throw of the lever means you can't react as quickly as you can just pressing buttons, hence the rise of the Hitbox controller in competitive play, and going back a few more years, pads. A lot of fighting game players, myself included, still use sticks because they feel good though! Same story with shmups? Or is it the reason serious fighting game players give - that they'd like to be able to go play classic games at the arcade? (You can plug most controllers into newer arcade machines, so it's not so much of an issue now.)

Also I've been playing Blue Revolver and it's a banger. I'm so rusty though!

Are pads considered better for FGs? I'd have thought certain motions (360s with grapplers, for example) are far easier to pull off on a stick, and having your punches and kicks laid out in a linear fashion seems easier to get your head around than having some on the face buttons and some on the shoulder buttons, etc. I'd also assumed the popularity of Hitbox controllers was due to the amount of players picking up fighting games from a PC background, rather than because of a definite advantage (although I'm aware the Cross-Up ones offer benefits bordering on cheating, heh). Personally, I found the travel distance of the stick stopped being an issue once I'd become familiar with using it. In shmups I find it easier to make accurate tap-dodges on a stick than on most pads (the Saturn pad is still lovely, though). Particularly with Seimitsu sticks, there's a nuance and subtlety of motion that I just don't feel I have access to if I'm using a pad, which can certainly feel more "immediate" but ultimately less precise. (Not that I'm a master of laser-precise movement, or anything - I'm still rubbish.)

For the most part, it's just preference! I had no practical need to switch to sticks, originally - I was just being an arcade dweeb, "recreating the experience at home" or whatever. But now I can't go back, and basically hate using anything else for shmups. 😛

Yeah, hitboxes are waaay more precise than sticks, so give the advantage, even without the cheeky double blocking capability! 

And the top SF grappler player in the US has always played on pad. I think 360 motions are actually easier/quicker on some pads (Saturn style floaty ones) than Sanwa part sticks. 

A lot of the new generation of top fighting game players also use pads though - although I think this is more due to learning the games on pad and being comfortable with them, rather than because of any advantage. There was a time when serious players were advocating for pad, before hitboxes took off though!

To be honest, one doesn't progress far with most shmups simply down to reaction time. It's more about moving at the right time, not reacting in a split second to something, because more often than not, you'll go head first into another bullet, playing like that. You want to be in a "safe place" and draw the fire (i.e. be fired at) and then move a bit, and repeat over and over. (note, I am no expert, just my opinion).

For me, I simply liked playing in the arcades in Japan on the way home, then continued my evening after dinner *at* home on the "same hardware" (arcade sticks). I actually get great results with analogue sticks, even though the actual games are all digital movement. It's a small, thumb controlled, non-microswitched joystick in a circular gate, in that case...

So, there's something about the feel of the joystick, and the overall experience it gives you. There's something to be said for playing with a stick, too. Fatigue is actually extremely low; there's one dude born without a left hand that plays with just his "nub" and has amazing skills.

I am surrounded my joysticks, all with lovely microswitched 4-way movement. Sanwa and Seimitsu alike. One thing for sure, is buttons are good fun to use. Though recent controllers using a trigger for autofire is better than say back in the day using face buttons where you have to move a thumb around.

For sure it's preference, and I was dismayed to see a WR holder using a 360 D pad (US player). Then I watched another WR played on a PCB on an arcade machine with an old LS32 stick (south korea) and my faith was quickly restored.

I am definitely better now on an arcade stick, but I think anyone can pick their favourite method and excel at it, to be honest.

Yes, keyboard is very precise. It's an excellent way to play shmups.

Every input method has it's own advantages and disadvantages and what might be right for you might not be right for someone else.

It's a good idea to get good with all gaming input methods, I think, so you can use the right tool for the job when playing a certain game.

I find stick to be the best all rounder for shmups for me.

Keyboard is amazing, very precise, but my tendons complain after a few games since there's loads of tiny movement that you're doing in those games.

That all adds up and none of us are getting any younger.

D-pad and analogue stick and pretty much even for me. I'm not too good with small precise movement on either, to be honest.

When I was playing with an analogue stick, I just got to the stage where I knew I could improve more but it was the pad that was holding me back, so I bought a stick and I'm not gonna lie, it was a fucking slog to climb back up the mountain and get to where I was before I switched, but once you're there, you can keep climbing higher and higher.

I'm the same as klatry, Don't even consider using anything else for the genre now.

I will use keyboard when I don't have my stick though.

35 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

To be honest, one doesn't progress far with most shmups simply down to reaction time. It's more about moving at the right time, not reacting in a split second to something, because more often than not, you'll go head first into another bullet, playing like that. You want to be in a "safe place" and draw the fire (i.e. be fired at) and then move a bit, and repeat over and over. (note, I am no expert, just my opinion).

For me, I simply liked playing in the arcades in Japan on the way home, then continued my evening after dinner *at* home on the "same hardware" (arcade sticks). I actually get great results with analogue sticks, even though the actual games are all digital movement. It's a small, thumb controlled, non-microswitched joystick in a circular gate, in that case...

So, there's something about the feel of the joystick, and the overall experience it gives you. There's something to be said for playing with a stick, too. Fatigue is actually extremely low; there's one dude born without a left hand that plays with just his "nub" and has amazing skills.

I am surrounded my joysticks, all with lovely microswitched 4-way movement. Sanwa and Seimitsu alike. One thing for sure, is buttons are good fun to use. Though recent controllers using a trigger for autofire is better than say back in the day using face buttons where you have to move a thumb around.

For sure it's preference, and I was dismayed to see a WR holder using a 360 D pad (US player). Then I watched another WR played on a PCB on an arcade machine with an old LS32 stick (south korea) and my faith was quickly restored.

I am definitely better now on an arcade stick, but I think anyone can pick their favourite method and excel at it, to be honest.

Yeah, you're totally right about reaction times not being the be all and end all, and comfort is definitely king. If you'll allow a little brag, 1cc'd Ikaruga back in the day on a GC controller, which I doubt is ideal! I got into shmups playing ABA games stuff like Tumiki Fighters and Parsec 47 on keyboard though, and as I'm currently away from all my consoles, I've gone back to the keyboard, playing Blue Revolver on my laptop and absolutely love it, it feels so precise.