Shmups

Dr Seedyman

I gave Rtype a whirl last night on the Switch. I remember reading @strider’s impression that the frame rate was appalling... really? I’d love a video or idea of which section to look out for on that, because I didn’t notice it last night at all!

StudioMudPrints on YT also comment how the Switch version has worse graphics bla bla, but you know what I was doing last night? In bed playing with Mrs Spoonman next to me. Can’t do that with the PS4 (short of having a screen in the bedroom, obv). Also, Mrs Spoonman commented how amazing this game looked on the small screen; having seen the game on the PS4 (not pro) only the other night.

To my unseasoned eyes, this game looked ‘just as’ good (I noticed not as nice), played ‘just as’ well (I am no Rtype veteran and didn’t notice frame drops, but i have the latest switch), and enjoyed my run in the demo, again.

I like nice graphics as much as the next nerd, but frame rate is the thing that can ruin an experience the most imo. But, I am not a PC gamer at all (nothing against it), and really like to keep away from console wars (fucking pointless), so I’ll just say... it’ll be tough for me to decide on which platform i get this. I am not chasing PCB emulation here, rather, a pretty, modern, STG with some “depth” to it. 

The question is, do I ever want to play this whilst in bed? (or on the loo/in zoom calls?)

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I gave Rtype a whirl last night on the Switch. I remember reading @strider’s impression that the frame rate was appalling... really? I’d love a video or idea of which section to look out for on that, because I didn’t notice it last night at all!

One of my friends couldn't notice it either. He also said he turned up the 60 fps mode on Spider-Man Miles Morales as the graphics looked terrible, so take from that what you will. Ultimately, I found it to be super juddery and when new waves were flying on-screen they looked like they were in slow motion. @nakamurainstantly noticed it from 15 foot away after downloading the PS4 version.

If you're not being affected by it that's great, but it's definitely there and it's definitely putting me off. .Having said that, playing in bed is a very good trade-off, so I may buy it when I've seen a few more reviews. It's also a demo, so there's a good chance there will be some spit and polish before it comes out. It still feels like an R-Type game and that's what's really important.

Cheers, I wasn't calling you out or anything. I will have a closer look today. I like to think I am very sensitive to unstable frame rates etc due to the games i play (including e sports, boo) and just, in general. I've always hated unstable frame rates.

I wonder if the new waves themselves judder, or the entire frame rate? I ask because I wonder if there's a way to miss that, if you are focussing on your ship or something? Dunno. Are you on an original or new switch?

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Cheers, I wasn't calling you out or anything. I will have a closer look today. I like to think I am very sensitive to unstable frame rates etc due to the games i play (including e sports, boo) and just, in general. I've always hated unstable frame rates.

I wonder if the new waves themselves judder, or the entire frame rate? I ask because I wonder if there's a way to miss that, if you are focussing on your ship or something? Dunno. Are you on an original or new switch?

I know you weren't calling me out. I'm playing on an original launch machine. I've tried it both docked and undocked and it doesn't seem to make a difference in performance. It's far smoother on the PS4, which is why I was noticing it so much. I'll look at it again tonight, but it was most noticeable on the waves of aliens.

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I like nice graphics as much as the next nerd, but frame rate is the thing that can ruin an experience the most imo.

Yeah, who the hell is playing shmups for graphical fidelity, anyway?
"The shit munchers who don't play shmups who make up like 95% of the people who crowdfOunded the new r-type!"
Who said that?! :D

I love games that look great, but to me that doesn't mean smearing the screen with all the latest fashionable graphical effects.
To me it means a striking aesthetic, a bold, original art style, or amazing, made with love pixel art.

If the game doesn't look "as good" on the switch, then that's definitely a good sign because the devs have prioritized performance and they're dropping unnecessary graphical frills to hit a framerate they deem acceptable.

Seriously though, real talk, shmups should be hitting 60fps on all consoles, no excuses.

Yeah, Strider, sounds like the best plan. Just wait until the game is out in the wild and then we'll see the performance across all platforms and you'll be much better informed to make your decision.

What's this talk about having a launch switch or a newer one? I've got a launch switch, did the later ones get a slight bump in cpu speed or something?

47 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Seriously though, real talk, shmups should be hitting 60fps on all consoles, no excuses.

57.7hz*

What's this talk about having a launch switch or a newer one? I've got a launch switch, did the later ones get a slight bump in cpu speed or something?

Yeah, it's a bit of a murky water this one. The "newer" switch has better battery life and a seemingly for efficient CPU, but i do expect the performance to be the same. I've never compared, I was just curious. Interesting that it is the older switch, mind you. I love confirmation bias!

Either way, I hope it runs well. I wasn't really at all interested in it, until i played the demo, and loved the atmosphere of it. 

As someone also guilty of spending 2 hours aligning and tuning my CRT image, only to turn it off and then go read forums, I need to kick myself sometimes and remember to play the god damn games and not get into the tech side too much. It's fun to deep dive, and get "the best" out of things, but perfection-seeking is a waste of time, and my best gaming years were spent using a fucking RF cable for christ's sake. It's all about RGB and PVM and HDMI and 4K and 60FPS now but back in the day I would pour hours into Sonic 2 or Power Stone or whatever, on RF cables and wonky CRTs and had the time of my life.

It's like the way I have spend money and time trying to set up some kind of Twitch streaming thing, then forget to stream my gaming sessions/don't game. 

I'll post back tomorrow with a story of what I *have played* tonight. Adios.

57.7hz*

Haha, I knew that was coming :D

I actually reworded it to make it pedant proof, and even had a clause in for the new high refresh consoles but it was a long, loose straggly string of words so I just went back to how it was. Keep it tight, that's my motto. A nice brief, punchy, readable 200 word waffly brainfart.

Yeah, I just play games, none of that fucking about.

It's one of the reasons I play these games in the first place, they're so respectful of your time and they're all the fucking same so you don't have to relearn the controls :lol:

I'll post back tomorrow with a story of what I *have played* tonight. Adios.

Nice one, brother! I'll look forward to it :D

It's one of those that remains open for pre-order for a set time though right? Rather than there just being, say, 5000?

Ordering from LRG isn't going to be the pain-free experience ordering something from amazon.jp is is it? Presumably, there'll be duty to pay on arrival?

12 minutes ago, Camel said:

It's one of those that remains open for pre-order for a set time though right?

yeah that's what it looks like. I don't know about the other stuff, only ordered from them once before and can't remember if there was vat/charges to pay.

i can't decide between the standard and limited version. already have a katsui cd so held off on that, not signed though!

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Ordering from LRG isn't going to be the pain-free experience ordering something from amazon.jp is is it? Presumably, there'll be duty to pay on arrival?

Easy peasy. Shipping is $15 and import prices are included. I’ve bought around 50 games from them and never had an issue. If you order multiple items they won’t ship until the last thing is in stock so keep that in mind on multiple orders.

2 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Was the R-Type Final 2 demo only available for a limited time? Tried to access it from the PS4 last night but couldn't find it for love nor money.

I got it off the PS Store website and downloaded to console from there; I couldn’t find the demo on console version of Store either.

The demo isn’t great :(

On 09/04/2021 at 20:31, Triple A said:

I got it off the PS Store website and downloaded to console from there; I couldn’t find the demo on console version of Store either.

The demo isn’t great :(

On 09/04/2021 at 20:45, Spoonman said:

i found it in the store, i think i had to search "final"... maybe

Thanks both, found it. 

I like it! Simple first level with gorgeous lighting, a cool atmosphere and a frozen dobkeratops. It seems to play similarly to Final 1 in terms of pace, and that's a positive in my book. It's been a while since we've had a fleshed out, non-bullet hell side-scroller so I'm looking forward to the full game. 

MagiGhostDEADline. Boghogs submission for Bullet Hell Jam 2021

Haven't had time to try it yet, looks nifty - https://boghog.itch.io/magighostdeadline

Somebody recommended Patriot Dark on the shmups discord a few days ago, from the ring^-27 guy, it's belters, been having fun with that over the last couple of nights. You can get it here - http://www.sk8tokyo.com/shmup/free.htm

yeah that new aleste game is looking rocking! Even better than branch.

M2 were been dropping hints that it's coming to console eventually so we just gotta wait. Directed by the lad who did akai katana and rolling gunner.

What a lovely sunny day!

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

MagiGhostDEADline. Boghogs submission for Bullet Hell Jam 2021

Haven't had time to try it yet, looks nifty - https://boghog.itch.io/magighostdeadline

Blimey, his games are like crack!
I lost at least an hour there. I only zoned back into reality when I noticed my back was aching from yanking the stick around so much.

There's your score to beat - 793

beHLMLi.jpg

Don't ask me why I was playing it windowed, I've no idea.

Might be worth checking out some of the other games! - https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BulletHellJam2021

This ones quite interesting! Maledictus - https://pens-n-pixels.itch.io/maledictus

I wasn't sure what I was doing until after a few runs, but you need to stop shooting for long periods of time and let the blue gauge on the left build right up and then shoot and you do a big hyper bomb sort of thing and turn all the bullets into gems.

So you play through the stage and find out the best parts to hyper through. You focus when you fire so it's quite clever in that the best places to hyper are where there are lots of dense bullet patterns so you have to survive for a long time without shooting or focusing.

Canny good!

There's your score to beat on that one - 81,273,900

RH4m1IT.jpg

Aaaaah, this is a much better place to check the submissions rather than trawling twitter like an eejit - https://itch.io/jam/bullet-jam-2021/entries

1cc'ed Patriot Dark today. Well chuffed. My heart was properly banging at the end.

Looky, thought I was on the final boss so I just pissed all my bombs away and then I was like naaaaaaaaaargh! :lol: - https://streamable.com/4fmxvo

Fab game!

Trap15, the firelancer/exa sdoj guy was bigging up guardian force the other day. Random inclusion, but I'll take it! :D

Cotton 2 any good?

I would guess so on the digital front. I don’t even know why I’m so excited, I’ve got DS1 on all 3 regions on 360 and the arcade PCB and the standalone DS2 and the copy in the CAVE shooting collection which are all plenty good enough. I still feel like a kid at Christmas seeing this release.