Shmups

Dr Seedyman

On 24/01/2021 at 21:10, Marlew said:

And they all sound like euphemisms to a puerile buffoon like me.

Lots of fun ones in the g-darius bosses.

Eclipse eye, tripod sardine (my nickname at school. Trust me ladies, the length more than made up for the smell), dual horn, dimension diver, queen fossil, queen's child, eight feet umbrella, eternal triangle, accordion hazard, tail blaze, reverse direction.

Played DOJ for the first time, heard the first loop of Black Label was slightly easier than the original version so went with that on a one loop as food is on the way. Beat Hibachi!

Spoiler

After about 40 continues :lol: 

Spend the day doing Sunday chores, and can finally kick back with a beer. Decided to rotate the god-like freebie VGA CRT I scored the other day... and connected up the Switch. I swear there is less lag than on an LCD, but I am probably just going ga-ga for how it looks and feels to play like this.

This is basically my "arcade" system at present, and I bloody love it.

Lt1Ohpu.png

UaWT9oV.png

What refresh rate does it go up to, Spoony?

My dad brought one home from work that they were gonna hoy out and it went up to 120 or 200hz or something. I forget.

The power button was fucked so I had to turn it on with a bookies pencil/argos pen.

The screen wasn't that big, but who cares, it was right in your face anyway.

It was amazing playing cod4 multiplayer on that thing. I'd only just gotten into playing on pc at that point and I didn't realise what I had until I lost it.

Once it finally gave up the ghost I had to buy one of those flat screen lcd jobs and, honestly, I thought there was something wrong with it.

I went from perfection to this cheap, laggy, blurry, crosstalking bullshit.

I was like "this is progress?!"

Then they took my 16:10 away!

They're way better now, refresh rates are getting higher and they're finally getting nearer to CRT in terms of motion clarity, but jesus wept, for a long time there, even with a TN panel, you were stuck with 60hz and reeeally slow response times.

Well jell. Treat her well, brother. Give her a kiss before you switch her off every night and she'll love you back by turning on again tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

What refresh rate does it go up to, Spoony?

Horizontal; 96 kHz, Vertical; 120 Hz

Max Resolution: 1800 * 1440 (!)

My 27" DELL is 2560 x 1440. It looks great, can easily rotate it, and the IPS panel has great viewing angles.... but yes, I agree. I feel as if years were lost in the transition to flat panels. The "progress" was mostly about size and weight, I suppose, and for regular use, fine. My brother still edits TV using PVMs... I am on the speed-dial for when they are "junk".

With lots of tech, when it's mature, it's pretty good. When the new thing comes along, it's a few years until we are almost back to where we were with the prior tech, then we start making gains.

Anyway, I will look after this. Part of my collection for a long time, I hope. I have a whole vision planned for this year, and this is step 1. Of about... 10?

2 hours ago, Jonster said:

Played DOJ for the first time, heard the first loop of Black Label was slightly easier than the original version so went with that on a one loop as food is on the way. Beat Hibachi!

Reveal hidden contents

After about 40 continues :lol: 

I don’t like it but I’ll have to go along with it. 

Should have been doing my "next route down" homework in g-darius, but decided to beat my score on the lambda route instead.

Gutted that I lost a life right near the end of the final boss fight. That would have been an extra 1,000,000 points!

rqiWrgd.jpg

Had a blast of Jet Buster as well before, forgot how much fun that game is! The music is really happy. The ear worms must have properly burrowed into my brain because I was soon humming along :D

CAAM AAAAAAN!

OcCVkSj.jpg

Always wanted to break 200 million in Jet Buster.

You don't understand how long I've been trying to do that.

Aw man, I wish I was recording because I was on fire!

Stuck a pretty butterfly on my stick to celebrate.

ACAMAAAAAAN!

WtNPNvZ.jpg

Wow, I really need to clean that.

I've just noticed, I haven't put the bloody screws in that hold the face plate down.

I must have forgotten the last time I was fannying about in there.

My god, it must have just been the screw in buttons holding the whole thing together all this time :lol:

They're gonna be a nightmare to find. They'll be long gone.

I can picture myself lining them all up carefully in a row on the desk when I was last tinkering and then my nephew coming along with an impish grin on his face and flicking them one by one into the sun.

The Steam version of Cotton Reboot is currently undecided.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

Unfortunatelly, we don't release Cotton Reboot for the PC this time:/
I still hope, that you find a version that you are interested in:)

Hmmm, no idea what happened there. The steam logo is still on their website

UKNhF9l.jpg

Maybe they hired Marlew as their new CEO or something :D

Bought the ps4 version, anyway.

I likes it! Absolutely no clue what's going on.

Look at the absolute state of this! Final boss and everything. Hopefully get the 1cc of arrange mode next time I play unless that was just a massive fluke!

One more life and I would have had her, I reckon.

lYGXd4U.jpg

edit: Oh, and this lad figured out how to get the english text back in the ps4 version - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1444596#p1444596

if you go to the main menu and choose default settings English appears in the text option.
You have to do this each time you boot the game as well, it'll revert back to Japanese if you play something else.

It works!

o0KGJqY.jpg

29 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

if you go to the main menu and choose default settings English appears in the text option.
You have to do this each time you boot the game as well, it'll revert back to Japanese if you play something else.

that's mental, going to give it a try

Wow! This is immense! Now I've had a few more games, I'm really getting into it.

It seems like magnifying your shots through the gems gives you loads of score, so I've been trying to do that as much as possible. Hitting the gems so much that they go hard and you can't shoot through them any more and then grabbing them seems to give you score too.
Heck almost everything gives you score. This is so much fun!

Didn't get my 1cc but I bumped my score up quite a bit. Looking forward to jumping in again tomorrow.

I can see what shmupjunkie was saying about it being a bit busy, but that's the whole idea, the busier it gets the more you're scoring so it's a risk/reward thing. Absolutely loving it so far!

Been on Space Harrier (Switch) these last 4 evenings working for a 1CC. I’m starting to feel the burn out a little (playing 3 hours a night) but I can see progress.

Reached stage 16 boss tonight. I’m more or less flawless on the level 18 boss rush so I just need to cut out my silly mistakes on the first 10 stages and gain consistency on stage 14.

If I can do that much I should be able to pull out a run from stages 15-17. It’s honestly one of my favourite games. Very easy to give my full attention to it and not get distracted.

I’m getting a lot of mileage out of the Sega ages ports. Would be nice if they would release all 19 on a game card.

On 07/03/2021 at 18:34, Spoonman said:

Spend the day doing Sunday chores, and can finally kick back with a beer. Decided to rotate the god-like freebie VGA CRT I scored the other day... and connected up the Switch. I swear there is less lag than on an LCD, but I am probably just going ga-ga for how it looks and feels to play like this.

This is basically my "arcade" system at present, and I bloody love it.

Lt1Ohpu.png

UaWT9oV.png

The tubes on those are a bit Nexus 6 in nature. So like, enjoy the good times while they last.

On 07/03/2021 at 19:37, Spoonman said:

Max Resolution: 1800 * 1440 (!)

Don't do that. Egon safety tip, but if you value the life of people in nearby rooms then stick to 640*480. You know, people died trying to be Tony Hawks and stuff, didn't get the limits of a concrete halfpipe. The exact same kids bought those monitors. Interesting status symbol though.

Did you try all the screen rotation options? I have a vague memory of encountering the same issue when selecting tate, and it turned out there's another option that also rotated the controls.

17 minutes ago, Treble said:

Here's a weird one. Battle Garegga on Saturn has a TATE mode, but I can't see a way to reorient the controls to match. Did Raizing just... forget? :unsure:

There's an Action Replay cart for the Saturn which essentially lets you reprogram games. Think Sega were feeling suicidal one console too early or something? Anyway, there's a controller remap api which works due to all the chips on the console being autonomous. Change the up and down and it still works while the power is on.

Oh, random fact about the cart and other debug type devices, but I have a well preserved Edge from 1999. Ads in the back from sellers are quite interesting, and reminded me of how much hacker shit you could buy for the original Playstation. It was literally pulling in hackers from proper crime or warfare amd sucking them into an Egon toy like a complete bastard. And btw, Playstation hackers were intimidating, like people sitting around dealing crack-cocaine like Chappie times 100, evil guard dogs that eat your ankle or whatever, but then someone boots Crash bandicoot racing and they all turn into hypnotised 5 year olds? Fair play Jez San, you da man.

9 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Space Harrier

Marlew likes that!
I can remember one of the speccy mags did a game called "bear a grudge" which was a clone and I loved that!
"Go bear go" was great as well. That was a pengo clone. They didn't seem to have many original ideas but their games were really solid! For nowt on a cover tape, they were surprisingly good!

I'll only have had the spectrum version of space harrier so I imagine I didn't get the full benefit!

That sort of game is having a bit of a renaissance at the minute. Gryzor's working on one

and then there's that bullet detective thing, or whatever it's called.

Proper akira vibes from this! :D

The devil engine guy is doing a sort of 3d tohou as well.

I've seen a few more on my travels, but I can't remember what they were called or how to find them.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

Here's a weird one. Battle Garegga on Saturn has a TATE mode, but I can't see a way to reorient the controls to match. Did Raizing just... forget? :unsure:

I'll check this for ya soon - it's definitely in there somewhere! I haven't played my Saturn copy in years but it might have something to do with turning on the 'simple' menu, or English.

2 hours ago, Quest said:

Did you try all the screen rotation options? I have a vague memory of encountering the same issue when selecting tate, and it turned out there's another option that also rotated the controls.

29 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I'll check this for ya soon - it's definitely in there somewhere! I haven't played my Saturn copy in years but it might have something to do with turning on the 'simple' menu, or English.

Thanks! Will try this out. I did that thing with my phone and the wibbly-wobbly Google translation, but it really didn't like the horrible 500-something rez, interlaced flickery boohockey that is the pause menu :)

Yeah, I've tried to play Japanese RPGs using that but it really didn't want to read anything most of the time. :p

@Treble So, apparently I have tested it out within the last year, because my settings were still saved! As far as I can tell, all I've done is change the first option on the menu so that the little ship is pointing left (assuming your screen is rotated already) rather than up (which gives the incorrect non-rotated controls).

Bft4im8.jpg

If you press L or R you get another menu, and one of those ON/OFF toggles is for English. Icarus' post here goes through the lot, I think: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4876

Still no 1cc. I did get 25th on the leaderboard though!

I think I must have gotten really lucky RNG on the stage 5 boss on that fluky first run because ever since it's been a total prick.
I think I'm getting my strategy down now, but it's one thirsty mother. Just gobbling down my extends like there's no tomorrow.

Figured this out before I stopped playing there. Just in case anyone else is a dumb as me.

I checked in the tutorial and they were talking about bombs.
Leave your main shot as "shot + bomb", they mean the little missile that you drop rather than a tradition bomb, you want to be shooting them all the time.

I've been playing it all this time just shooting straight ahead :facepalm:

ifoFqST.jpg