8 hours ago, Spoonman said:

A question to@Count Buffalos — what did you get, and where from? The thing with these modular things is that there's a risk you buy like 90% of something and miss a key component, or you overspend/or get the wrong add-on, or something. Any tips appreciated!

I ordered the main board, the DE10-nano kit,  from digikey.co.uk (this is actually delivered from the USA but only takes a couple of days, VAT etc is built into the price). I ordered the 128mb module, USB card, IO board, heatsink and case thing from misterfpga.co.uk. I also have a wifi dongle from the same vendor. You'll need a micro SD card too. 

The DE-10 is the only essential component but not all emulators ('cores' ) will work with the built-in RAM alone, hence the 128mb module. The IO board has a fan, some useful buttons ('reset', 'menu' etc) and lets you connect to an analogue display using the VGA port. The USB board lets you connect a range of USB devices, including keyboards, arcade sticks, joypads etc. You can also buy adaptors which lets you use the original controllers per core, but this isn't something I've tried. 

I'm having trouble copying hyperlinks, I'll keep trying!

And here, the fun begins. I know digikey have worldwide shipping... I buy stuff from them all the time for work. But the DE10-nano isn't available in Germany on their site, just the cloud version at 185 euro.

I am sure I will track one down.

There's a company in the US that does a lovely aluminium case for the whole MiSTer, which looks just lovely imo.

image.png.599b4415db9eb77776a03dce25acbcbc.pngimage.png.10836b1febd472558594b16bf5cb57ea.png

The rate my search is going, I will just end up getting one of these 300-quid kits as It'll cost me around that getting it all separately and adding up the shipping...

9 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I fancy an "easy" 1CC of something and MushiFBL was recommended. It's obviously not easy. I think I will keep up the grind with these games, and then switch (haha!) to Aleste collection for a more lighthearted 1cc attempt, as you were @ImmaculateClump

Yeah, it's all relative, innit?
I think when people say that black label is easy, they just mean that it's easier than the main game.
You still have to learn the stages and the boss patterns so it takes some playing.

You can keep the bullet speed down by scoring badly if you want to cheese it.

Yeah, the first gg aleste has you covered if you're after something nice and relaxing.

5 hours ago, geldra said:

I think @ImmaculateClump has managed to sell at least 3 copies of Aleste over the weekend alone.

Well, Marlew talked me into it so you can blame him if you're not keen :D

edit: new STGweekly about Cosmodreamer. One of my favourites from last year. Really good fun!

Dear god, Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker is hard!
Been having fun chipping away at it the last few days, but it seems just a tiny little mistake and your whole run just falls to pieces!

I can get to the stage 5 boss and get my arse kicked if everything is going according to plan.

My best strategy so far is to go with Miyamoto, the dragon lad, and stick with upgrading the "F" shot until I get to stage 4, and then not to panic, but try and switch to "H", the homing shot as soon as I can.

Got my strategy down for the bosses up to stage 5, though I'm ashamed to say that my current stage 2 boss strategy is to bomb, bomb, bomb, and then maybe bomb again if he's still alive.

I had some leftover cash in my american account so grabbed Omega Fighter since it was half price and some guy on resetera was bigging it up and it sounded fun.

Only had time for a quick shot tonight, but it's got proximity scoring which is always lots of fun!

Turns out these hamster arcade archive games use the bloody touchpad for the option menus and accessing the online rankings.
The one ruddy button I don't have wired up on my stick.
Well, I suppose once you've set the game up, you don't really have to go in there again, just once in a blue moon when you want to see how you're doing on the leaderboards.

There's an "options" button. God knows why they chose not to use it. You can't even bind it to something else in the button remapping.

17 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Damn Amazon Japan are speedy. Will have to give this a bash soon. 

564A332E-E94C-4174-B1F3-8DC55C1D706B.thumb.jpeg.363660396fd1fead18b0753f986a83f2.jpeg

Boring shipping grumble alert.  DHL were meant to deliver mine yesterday but it was delayed due to “unprecedented weather”. So it stayed in Birmingham for 17 hours where I expect all the DHLers were making snowmen and having snowball fights against DPD. 

Good to see you got the Aleste book with it though, wasn’t expecting that to be thrown in. Nice little Brucey bonus. 

Good game, good game.

Beat the stage 5 boss in moomoo thingumy today. Pretty chuffed with that.
I think I'll make a stage five save state and then play from there instead of right from the beginning for a bit now and then hopefully put it all together.

I beat 2 mini boss guys on stage 6, but I got there with loads of lives and I was just bombing through a lot of their attacks. Looks like you need to really learn their attacks or you're just gonna get smashed there.

@MattyP It's a good looking game, defo. Hope you enjoy it! 

If you also play on Steam, we can recommend a lot of shmups which are likely even more fun if you're interested.

If you're interested, maybe try:

Mushihimesama

Crimzon Clover 

Blue Revolver

Deathsmiles

Dodonpachi Resurrection 

I'm blown away by just how many shoot'em ups are in the steam sale and how big the discounts are on them. I'm totally considering a spending spree right now because so much of it looks decrent to great at £1-£3 a pop.

Yeah, I saw the luna sale was on. Loads of cheap goodies to be had.

I'm snapped, I need to go bed, but here are a few sub 3 quid crackers to be getting on with.

Exceed 3rd

Mecha Ritz

Monolith (Top down shooter roguelite, but trust me, it's all shmup)

The Hurricane of The Varstray (get the dlc as well, it's pennies and it's great)

Jet Buster

Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst

Where the hell is the Switch port of MechaRitz?! 

Got Aleste collection!  First impressions are that for GG games theyre genuinely impressive.  There’s some insane presentation in them and that I love the menu music for Aleste Challenge. 

The box arts for them are lush too, big fan. 

The Steam sale price for Darius Burst CS was too tempting to pass up, so I finally grabbed that along with the Cave and 8ing DLC packs. 
That should tide me over till R-Type Final 2...

Psyvariar is tempting me too, but I could always just fire up my PS2 for that...

6 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

You’re not helping :lol:

Ok I’ll do it. And I’ll buy the soundtrack too as the Revision soundtrack on PS2 is one of my favourite soundtracks ever! Wish there was a vinyl release :wub:

That chilled Game Over/High Score name entry tune. Love it. 

19 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

You’re not helping :lol:

Ok I’ll do it. And I’ll buy the soundtrack too as the Revision soundtrack on PS2 is one of my favourite soundtracks ever! Wish there was a vinyl release :wub:

Vinyl release would be neat. Truly great soundtrack that shouldn't be hampered by the screetching sounds of ye old ps2 trying to read a cd-rom ;)

18 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

The Hurricane of The Varstray (get the dlc as well, it's pennies and it's great)

Turns out I already owned this (but not the dlc), no idea when though! Gave it a quick blast on novice and got to stage 15 before I had to stop. Some interesting systems there, getting a repeatable screen clearer that then makes you invincible for a brief while to make more medals appear, but at the cost of having no auto bomb for a while after is an interesting and rewarding mechanic. Wish there were keyboard rebinding though, only found you could swap the sub weapon on stage 14!

Will go back to play it again soon though, if only for the really interesting achievements that I kept seeing out of the corner of my eye. Favourite so far being something like “I F-in hate you”.

Might as well put it here because I don't know better. A lot of big discounts in the steam sale.
Trying to limit my spending to £30. I could spend £50 but I probably shouldn't. Everything on this list is 50% off or more.
Someone give me a quick kiss/marry/kill on my steam maybe pile.  Also maybe give me suggestions for stuff I should be getting.
I already own all the Cave stuff and Crimson Clover.

Eschatos £5.49
Castle of Shikigami £3.59
Blue Revolver £5.59 (100% buying this just based on word of mouth alone)
Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo £1.49
Vector Strain £1.99
Fire Arrow Plus 79p
Zenohell + Zenodyne R bundle £1.94
Exzeal £2.24
Jet Buster £1.39
Trizeal Remix £2.24
Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo £1.79
The eXceed Collection £3.49
Raiden III £1.04
Alltynex Second / Kamui / RefleX bundle £7.49
Revolver360 Re:Actor £1.39
Don'Yoku 57p
Deltazeal £2.24
The hurricane of the Varstray + DLC £1.08
Danmaku Unlimited 2 £1.19
Bullet Soul or BS Infinite Burst £2.74 (whichever is better)
Caladrius Blaze £3.09

This shopping list comes to £31.63

Blue Revolver
Neko Navy

Exceed 3rd
Eschatos
CosmoDreamer
Mecha Ritz
Jet Buster
The Hurricane of The Varstray and DLC
Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst
Monolith

All certified bangers.

For the Exceed games, Exceed 3rd is amazing! If you like Ikaruga then you might love the second one too. First one is pants.

Fire Arrow Plus is good, but the endless mode is broken, as they usually are. You can just live forever once you get into the rhythm.
It's lovely and fast and really good fun but I'd recommend going with Super XYX, his newer game first, it's more forgiving and feels like much more of a proper campaign, but it does cost more - https://store.steampowered.com/app/654500/Super_XYX/

Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo isn't too bad. There's a huge difficulty spike on the last boss and the endless mode is really broken.
Not bad for what it is.

Castle of Shikigami is nails, and not really too much fun if I'm honest. Even fans of the series don't tend to be crazy about the first one.

Vector Strain is straight up meh.

The zeno games are good from what I've played, pretty hard though. I really need to give them more attention since Zenodeath, the last one in the trilogy is the only one I've 1cc'ed. I did really enjoy it, but I think it's more forgiving than the others, and again costs more - https://store.steampowered.com/app/761920/Zenodeath/

Danmaku Unlimited 2, yes, it's arguably better than the third game.

For Bullet Soul, get Infinite Burst, it's much better than the main game. The only thing the main game has over it is the second loop. Burst is way more fun.

Raiden III pc port is meant to be smelly and Caladrius Blaze is a bit meh, I'd go for raiden IV instead if you really want a moss game - https://store.steampowered.com/app/323460/Raiden_IV_OverKill/

I own the other games but haven't really played them enough to comment, to be honest, I'll leave that for others, though I will say that the siter skain games (kamui etc) are really well regarded.

Note to self: Play more of the first two zeno games and kamui etc :D

I feel like Mahou Daisakusen is trolling me at this point. It's like a straightforward traditional memo game for the most part, but there's rank and juuuuuust the right amount of randomisation to fuck you right up at different points in every run :lol:

Gonna beat this thing if it kills me!

4 hours ago, Jonster said:

Turns out I already owned this (but not the dlc), no idea when though! Gave it a quick blast on novice and got to stage 15 before I had to stop.

:lol: Yeah, damn thing goes on forever. The dlc fixes that, it's a brand new campaign, only 4 stage with 2 loops, lasts half an hour or something.

Meant to post in here earlier decided to go for quality over quantity. Got Super XYX and bloody hell it's good, a keeper if there ever was one.
Got blue revolver, shikigami, eschatos, varstray, Raiden III (already got 4) and Danmaku 2 (got 3 already) on top. Should do me. I'll probably fold and buy more before the sale ends.

15 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Castle of Shikigami is nails, and not really too much fun if I'm honest. Even fans of the series don't tend to be crazy about the first one.

Yeah number 2 is brilliant but dont think its on steam. Ive not played the first one loads but thought it was alright.

out of the steam sale games mentioned the ones id recommend most are mecha ritz, blue revolver, and neko navy :)

Mecha Ritz is great isn't it? It's a deceptively good design which wasn't at all evident to me after the first couple of games. The kicker is that it's easy to complete which then encourages better and more difficult play to beat your score. The rank system is perfectly judged, adding more complex bullet patterns to up the difficulty in a really smooth way. It’s an absolute steal for the price.