3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Aw man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine anything more heartbreaking.

Hopefully it's just a phase and she'll grow out of it.

There's a pamphlet here you could print out and slide under her door - https://blog.danbo.vg/post/63083036459/ikaruga

Try not to blame yourself, she might have just fallen in with the wrong crowd at school.

Jokes aside, that fills my heart with joy! New generation right there! Ain't got no hearts left but I'll save one when the next batch comes in.

How many do you get a day, by the way? Some days I seem to have none, sometimes I have like ten or something.

I too have run out of hearts so can’t “like” this post today, but I’ll be back!
Her laptop is getting on a bit, yet to see if it’ll run Mushihimesama or any of my Pinball games in Steam. I’m sure MAME is an option for some Cave fun etc... even the classic 80s stuff she loves like Donkey Kong and Nibbler will look better than on my MAME cabinet with landscape monitor.

Grabbed a cheap Hori RAP V for Xbox One as a case for messing around with (I don't have the console). Do the holes on a Seimitsu SS mounting plate match up with the holes in one of these? It's basically the same body as the HRAP4 Kai, and I seem to recall not being able to install a Seimitsu stick (LS-62) in that without losing loads of shaft height (and it's already a really short stick), but I can't remember what was stopping me from closing the gap. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Can anyone recommend a decent monitor that does TATE nicely? If I rotate my current monitor, contrast goes weird if I am ever so slightly off axis and it can give me a headache.

What's your current screen? there's two different types of screens usually used for monitors (i'm generalising/simplifying a bit here) - TN - usually faster but worse viewing angles, and IPS - usually slower but with better viewing angles and colours. there's VA as well, think they're in the middle, and less common for monitors. But yeah i'd probably say TN was good for shmups because of the speed, i used to use a TN panel on it's side for years, it didn't bother me but the viewing angles weren't great so the colours would be a bit off. so the lack of viewing angle might be what's causing you problems at the moment - so yeah i can't really recommend any specific monitor but if you currently have a TN screen you might want to look into an IPS one. although my monitor was really old so TN ones might have improved viewing angles these days. might be worth asking about this in the computer advice section of the forum.

worth checking reviews for input lag too (sort of different from the speed mentioned previously), although i think it's pretty unusual for monitors to have really bad input lag.

1 hour ago, spatular said:

What's your current screen?

I have this one: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1041/U28E590

I am tempted to get some kind of mount that allows me to rotate the monitor. It's my home office monitor that work paid for, and it doesn't have VGA which I would like, and won't run 720p (so some PS3 games not supported), but it's a nice 4K panel and 1080p looks good, too. I could try rotating it, I suppose, but I suppose I would like a shmup-recommended monitor, all things being said.

In the absence of any CAVE output, Is there a RLLMUK widely regarded and definitive, top 5 of shmups on the Switch?

It’s a genre that I enjoy, but never really know what’s worth buying when trawling through the eShop.

edit - in reply to Spoonman

^ cool, looks like a nice monitor, it's a TN one fyi.

also edit - switch recommendations, for bullet hell stuff, not sure about definitive, but if you like bullet hell stuff you can't go wrong with the top 2, and the others are damn good too:

esp ra.de.

crimzon clover

rolling gunner

neko navy

danmaku unlimited 3

Don't know about definitive, but you could just pick the game that gets mentioned the most :D

Neko Navy
Black Bird
Mecha Ritz (when it comes out)
Rolling Gunner
Esp Ra De (this is a cave game, by the way)

Pouring one out on the curb for my boy "Dezatopia" which just missed out on making the list.

Keep forgetting about crimzon clover!

9 hours ago, merrychan said:

I haven't played Dangun Feveron in just shy of 20 years (on my modded OG Xbox)

I read this line and immediately heard...

FEVER!

:D

Haha!

You know how sometimes he'll immediately stop saying something in order to spout the next inane line of dialogue he's chosen from his grab bag of disco cliches?

The other day I was playing and he goes "don't- do what you want!"

and I pictured him meeting up with an old friend at one of their disco dancing haunts, having a quiet pint, all mid forties and pot bellied, his big disco quiff trimmed down into something shorter, greyer and more manageable, and his friend going

"You've changed, man"

Really made me chuckle.

Aaaah, turns out the dangun pcb runs at 57.5fps.

Gw7BKdG.jpg

M2's solution to make it play nice on 60hz consoles was to just double a few frames now and then which is why you get some weird hitching at times. Really noticeable during the second stage bosses last two patterns where it's throwing the green and pink balls at you dead fast.

I got 1,354,078 on the ps4 tonight!

@Spoonman According to this rtings review, that monitor has really bad viewing angles even for a TN panel, but yeah, if the shift in contrast is really bothering you, you might want to try an IPS.

If you're gonna be playing mostly on console at 60hz, make sure you look for a monitor which has low input lag at that refresh rate. A monitor that's nippy at it's native refresh rate (if it's higher) and resolution (if it's higher), might be a totally different story at 1080p 60hz.

Thanks @ImmaculateClump! I am trying to get as far as I can on feveron, but it’s tough!

The 1CC in Fever Mode on my first go was nice, but with autobombs and the SOS line it was a lot easier, like DFK Novice, maybe.

Once of the nicest things about the M2 ports is the save states allowing a quick reboot. Helps when trying to learn these boss patterns etc. I saw you playing last night and booted it myself, which was a bit stupid as I was drinking whiskey!

As for the panel, yeah, the viewing angles are pretty shit, but mostly in TATE mode. I am tempted to buy a better monitor and put this in the basement.

When in TATE... it’s exactly this vertical viewing angle which will make it awful. Even just having two eyes (i.e. spaced viewing) makes it look shit. 

I’d just like a tried and tested recommendation tbh. Will check out that site.

Haha, that used to be my favourite when I was drinking.
I played crap when I was drunk, but I'd always do amazing when I was really hungover.
Could never work that out.
I'd always get that 1cc I was working on or beat my score.

I say "hungover", but I was probably still a little bit drunk from the night before, and that's all it was, just enough to dampen that part of my brain that's constantly double checking and doubting itself, I just did things, in the flow, instead of panicking when things got fruity, wobbling around and running into the nearest bullet.

There's a perfect amount of drink where it actually might be performance enhancing if you're a nervous type. 2 or 3 pints maybe?
but, of course, you don't just have 2 or 3 pints, do you?

All food tasted wonderful when I was hungover too.
I think I might actually miss being hungover more than being drunk :lol:

Yeah, I think I might try using a save state, actually. I can get to stage 4 almost consistently now before it all goes to shit, no need to keep playing those 3 stages over and over again now.

I always liked just playing from the beginning all the time, but it is silly when you think about it.

I'll see if my daffy brain lets me later on.

TFTcentral do really good monitor reviews - https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews_index.htm
and I remember https://www.prad.de/ used to be really good, but things might have changed.

To be honest, I've yet to see an IPS panel that's suitable for gaming, but I'm really picky about blur and smearing and when playing a first person game with mouse and keyboard, that sort of thing is waaaay more pronounced and noticeable.

I don't have any brand loyalty but when I've had to get a new monitor, I do always seem to end up with an asus monitor after trying a few and sending back the duff ones, if that's any help.

If anyone would be kind enough to list / enlighten me as to the top X Xbox one shooters I'd really appreciate it.

I've had a great relationship with the genre over the years through Aarcade (I had Jamma boards for Gradius, Salamander, VV and Xexex at one point), the MSX Nemesis games (the ones with the extra sound chip were brill!), import MD with TF3, 4, Whip Rush, Hellfire and Tatsujin among others, Saturn (Layer section and Souky are two of my all time faveroites) and the J360 but in recent years have kind of kind of drifted away from it all!!

I'm not the biggest fan of outright Bullet Hell games with me probably preferring the arcade style of play (if that makes sense) but if there's a BH title that would be good as an introduction / is a bit of a hand holder, then I'd certainly be willing to consider it to see if it can help things fall into place for me :)

7 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

TFTcentral do really good monitor reviews - https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews_index.htm
and I remember https://www.prad.de/ used to be really good, but things might have changed.

Thanks, this is really helpful. DELL and ASUS both seem to offer reasonable monitors for TATE with decent enough lag for shmups. 

Like monitor lag is my problem, lol.

Dunno how long this has been a specific category but Twitch now has a generic shmup category: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/STG Shmups

I've been popping in now and then and just picking a random stream to watch. Currently someone appears to be trying to learn Ikaruga 2 player with one hand per ship double play.

Edited by Jonster
Remembered the term.

The Twitch was secured about a week ago. I will perhaps stream my Dangun Feveron runs to that this evening. Slightly annoying that Switch doesn't do Twitch as I've got more STG on there. 

I prefer STG to Shmup.

9 hours ago, womble9 said:

If anyone would be kind enough to list / enlighten me as to the top X Xbox one shooters I'd really appreciate it.

Guwange is on there backwards compatible, as is bullet soul infinite burst.

I really enjoyed Teslapunk, and Ghost Blade HD is on there too, both games are pretty gentle if you're wanting to dip your toe in the bullet hell subgenre.

Dangun Feveron, Battle Garegga and Natsuki Chronicles are on there.

That's all I can think of. I don't really know of any proper old school style ones. hopefully someone who plays more on xbox will be more helpful.

Thanks, @ImmaculateClump I'd actually just yesterday dug Bullet Soul Infinite Burst out of the loft and had a bash on it, great game for me (I love the soundtrack!) but by god am I a tad rusty in the reactions dept!!

I'd also downloaded the Teslapunk demo the other week (and forgotten about it!) so I'll give that a go this afternoon as I like the look of it and Dangun Fever looks like a game that I'm sure I played in a pub some time many many moons ago!! Not too keen on the look of Ghost Blade and whilst Battle Garegga is tempting I should perhaps just dig out my Saturn (and also my J360) for that and the many other games that would likely scratch my itch / give me my fix as it doesn't look like the XBOne has got that much to go at does it :(

1cc'ed the first Aleste tonight. Was tired so I fancied something a bit less demanding than Dangun.

Look at how happy my boys were when I got home!

AAeasnM.jpg

After playing through gg aleste 3 I figured I'd just start at the beginning.

Man, that was way more fun than it has any right to be!

It uses the vertizontal space far better than a lot of modern games I've played.
It's so tense when you die. It's brutal, you don't even seem to get 1 frame or invincibility, and it takes a while to power your guns back up and grab a subweapon.

Weapon 6 is godly! I was trying my best to grab that when a boss fight was coming up because it just chews through them.

nEax8mg.jpg

My time is just awful as I ended up having to fight some bosses with my pea shooter and it took aaages.
Really need to improve on that!

Looking forward to Aleste on the Switch. It should be arriving today. I will post a photo of the haul later.

Did you see the new Aleste?

https://www.4gamer.net/games/551/G055104/20210201060/

I've never played Aleste. Looking forward to the collection, and then, I expect the above to be released on Switch & PS4 most likely.

Also, you seen this?

https://www.play-asia.com/rolling-gunner-overpower-complete-edition/13/70e3nb

That's all for this morning. This is Nancy's report.

It's very confusing.

I think that's a different game to aleste branch and it's coming to the arcades, no idea if it'll get a home release in the future, but aleste branch isn't getting an arcade release and is coming straight to console.

I think I've got that right, whatever, all in good time.

M2's mam must be all like "eeh, he's aleste daft, that lad. Can't get enough of it!"

Woah!
If you buy the rolling gunner main game and the dlc digital on the switch it comes to £27.88.
Someone's sausage fingered their reckoning with that, surely.

Maybe they're just whacking on the scalpers inflation to save them the bother.

Give all the pricks who buy this sort of thing in bulk and whack it on ebay the day off.

Looking at the screenshots, Senxin Aleste is the game that M2 have been developing themselves and calling "Battle Gear" until now. No idea why they were being coy about it, but it looks great! Here's hoping it isn't an hour long and a piece of piss. ;)

On 31/01/2021 at 16:14, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah man, xbone ain't too hot unfortunately. Such a shame after the stonking run the 360 had.

I think microsoft pretty much gave up courting the Japanese market after the 360 didn't do very well despite all their efforts.

Yeah it does look that way doesn't it. Bit of a shame like but all's not lost as I've got a Switch and a PS4 too so maybe I'll concentrate on them (guess I just like my XBox) as they seem to be far better catered for in this genre.

I did in the meantime though pick up Battle Garegga from the US store for just under £20 which seemed a bit of a bargain but (and there's always a but isn't there) am I missing something or does it really not save your high scores as I set about it last night and have just booted it up and again to have a crack at bettering them and, well, they're not there :(?!?! 

I gave GG Aleste 3 a crack yesterday, after brushing up on my hiragana to be able to find Aleste Collection on the Japanese PS Store.

Really playable little game!  Nicely done, the music's decent as well.

21 minutes ago, womble9 said:

am I missing something or does it really not save your high scores as I set about it last night and have just booted it up and again to have a crack at bettering them and, well, they're not there :(?!?! 

I'm guessing it just acts like an arcade machine and the scores are wiped when you power it down, but your ranking should still be there on the leaderboard if you dig around the options screen.

Speaking of which, how do we compare scores with friends on PSN? Am I being daft or have sony/m2 forgotten to include that feature?

8 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Here's hoping it isn't an hour long and a piece of piss. ;)

Haha, yeah, GG Aleste 3 could have done with some tightening up and being a bit more difficult, that's for sure. I'm guessing that's the nature of these old school console games though.

1cc'ed Power Strike II tonight. I think that might be my favourite in the collection so far!

jHDBybx.jpg

5j9WONc.jpg

I think I might have been better off going with the old game gear games first, I imagine they're gonna feel like a step back after the relative technical marvel of the master system!
Not to worry.

I'm not keen on how if you clear the game they just show your time instead of your score.
Maybe there's a reason for it. Maybe you can milk lots of the bosses and they just thought "let's keep the games accurate but encourage people to just speedkill everything"

Finding these games a joy, like. Such a wonderful relaxing chill pace and the perfect antidote to the more frenetic cave games I'm playing at the moment.

With the M2 gadgets in these games, it's amazing how quickly I went from "Ooh, now that's handy!" and "Oh, that ones cute!" to "can somebody get all of this shite off of my screen?"

Nice one, Spoonman! Looks like santy's been round your gaff as well :D He must be turning in a second shift to make up for the shiter of a year we had.

Just got Kickstarter email through re R-Type Final 2 release date, which they say is end of April for Japan, a little later elsewhere (given their record to date, we’ll see).

Anyone else in for this?

17 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Damn... that cost how much? £200? £300?

It cost me around 1 GME lol

9 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Finding these games a joy, like. Such a wonderful relaxing chill pace and the perfect antidote to the more frenetic cave games I'm playing at the moment.

With the M2 gadgets in these games, it's amazing how quickly I went from "Ooh, now that's handy!" and "Oh, that ones cute!" to "can somebody get all of this shite off of my screen?"

The M2 gadgets are great, and it's superb to be able to turn them off so easily. The older 360 games had some kind of gadget/basic score stuff/viewing window, but really they weren't too useful. 

My favourite thing so far about the Aleste Collection so far is the absolutely amazing ALESTE CHALLENGE. I absolutely wish all my old CAVE games had this, as I might be able to improve much faster. If you die, it rewinds you to a few seconds before that death, allowing you to have another go. I only had time for a quick blast last night, but it was brilliant.

image.thumb.png.be30ba12c9644ea4d0e9d58e24ffcc4a.png

9 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Nice one, Spoonman! Looks like santy's been round your gaff as well :D He must be turning in a second shift to make up for the shiter of a year we had.

Indeed. Father Christmas has a big case of YOLO for 2021. I hardly used my switch last year as I bought it for travel, and yeah... we know how that went. I have a new monitor on the way that will enable TATE, and a few other bits of hardware incoming. I have some nice plans this year, and after learning that bloody Screech from Saved By The Bell died at 44 yo the other day, I think I'll treat myself to a few bits.