Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Just found that the Japanese version of Missile Dancer has online leaderboards. It's also a slightly different version to the EU release, I've found. Different text and menus and maybe even some subtle tweaks to the graphics. Separate SKU and publisher. I'm very happy to buy it twice to support him but just noting that I was  surprised that there were any differences, not least because it was already all in English!

Also, I thought I would be Billy Big Bollocks when I first checked the online leaderboards. How the hell did this guy get 200k more points? Wow. The fella who made it is in fourth place.

Hopefully he'll update the EU version with online ranking as he did the JPN. 

20210123-141421.jpg

If it's any consolation, Klatry, I've eyed up the obsidian in the past. Maybe the grass is always greener :D

Cor, that looks neat and tidy, spoonman. Mine looks like a spiders nest inside.

Nice one on the fever mode 1cc.

I've been really enjoying working on my score for that mode.

Just 1cc'ed GG Aleste 3 there tonight.
Man, that is charming as fuck! Couldn't stop smiling all the way through.
The music is amazing and the oldschool slowdown makes me feeling like I'm a kid again playing on a nes.
Really good fun!
Thanks for talking me into it, Marlew!

Gonna try it with the slowdown off tomorrow.
If you're looking how to turn off the slowdown, it's the top setting on the game setting screen, you have to turn that "on" for no slowdown.

They should have had separate leaderboards for slowdown on and off, but all the scores are just lumped together.

Pqy28a7.jpg

9 hours ago, Marlew said:

Just found that the Japanese version of Missile Dancer has online leaderboards. It's also a slightly different version to the EU release, I've found. Different text and menus and maybe even some subtle tweaks to the graphics. Separate SKU and publisher. I'm very happy to buy it twice to support him but just noting that I was  surprised that there were any differences, not least because it was already all in English!

Also, I thought I would be Billy Big Bollocks when I first checked the online leaderboards. How the hell did this guy get 200k more points? Wow. The fella who made it is in fourth place.

Hopefully he'll update the EU version with online ranking as he did the JPN. 

20210123-141421.jpg

2nd in the world?! Jesus! I’ma give up now. 

Just wondering if anyone could recommend some shmups that work really well (or even better) in 2 player? Been playing Dodonpachi with my partner and while I love it in 1P, I can't say I find it as much fun in 2P.

This is mainly for an arcade machine (so PC, arcade and console up to GC are ok) or on the Switch. Any recommendation appreciated.

4 hours ago, phresh said:

Just wondering if anyone could recommend some shmups that work really well (or even better) in 2 player? Been playing Dodonpachi with my partner and while I love it in 1P, I can't say I find it as much fun in 2P.

This is mainly for an arcade machine (so PC, arcade and console up to GC are ok) or on the Switch. Any recommendation appreciated.

darius burst? Plenty of screen real estate.

super hydora may be decent in 2P too? 

both horis like. 

16 hours ago, geldra said:

2nd in the world?! Jesus! I’ma give up now. 

Doesn't look like too many have played it given the spread of scores over that top 10!

It really is a question of quick killing bosses and delaying the final hit of each wave to try to lock onto the next one.

I've played through on a couple of difficulties, Expert is a bit beyond me, but it's all about Caravan for me, really. 

Hope they update the EU leaderboards with online. 

5 hours ago, Spoonman said:

For 2P I would suggest something slower, more like Rtype and that kind of thing. I really enjoyed Metal Slug in 2P but my GF less so. It does become an endless grind I suppose. We are a strange bunch!

Yeah, it can be too tempting just to dump in credit after credit and grind through but that looses it's shine after a while. I'll check out R-Type, played it plenty if times before but hadn't considered it.

4 hours ago, Jonster said:

Jamestown immediately springs to mind.

think I may already have it on there, great shout.

2 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Bullet Soul Infinite Burst might be a good shout - https://store.steampowered.com/app/545060/BULLET_SOUL_INFINITE_BURST/

Lots of bullet cancelling when you kill enemies so it should be fun 2 player, not too stressful.

It's really good fun and the music is top banana.

Will check it out, thanks.

1 hour ago, geldra said:

darius burst? Plenty of screen real estate.

super hydora may be decent in 2P too? 

both horis like. 

Is that the Chronicles 3 screen jobbie? Hydorah looks good.

Spent a lovely evening with Missile Dancer; it really is rather good and the 'wait for it, wait for it..' combo mechanic is right up my street. Really do hope they add online leaderboards to the European version though. I much rather try to beat other people than just beating myself (oo er). 

Haha, yeah, that's what I thought.

No imagination, that boy.

having said that, I'm struggling with "gemini arms"

edit: oh hang, using both arms? Like Eddie? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLyPV7BNhw&t=3m40s

Having great fun with fever mode in dangun.
31 million is my best so far.
Still not entirely sure I've got a handle on what makes you score higher, but I'm having great fun experimenting.

I think you get rewarded for bombing high value targets like those big enemies that drop loads of cyborgs when they die, and for bombing when the screen is full of bullets.

I think it's a good idea to play aggressively and speedkill enemies as I'm pretty sure more baddies turn up if you do that.

I think if your lives drop back to 2 and you get the safety line back, then it's a good idea not to bomb and just let the autobomb do it's thing when you get hit.

I've got a feeling I'm gonna have a really good run soon and I'm gonna be like "yup, yup, now I get it" and everything will come together and I'll know what's up, but I'm scrabbling around a bit at the minute.

Sorry for the stick/tech talk again, but to those who use a Brook Universal Board, am I right in thinking that, if I want to upgrade my USB cable, I need to use the wee 7" USB A-to-B cable included and buy a Neutrik port for a detachable one? I tried running a braided printer cable directly from the Brook PCB itself to my PC's USB ports (disconnecting the 'old' USB cable first of course) and the stick was completely unresponsive, even though it looks like something you can do. I've got a feeling it might be the EZ Mod stopping this from working, but Arcade Shock don't seem to know much about it...

9 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I tried running a braided printer cable directly from the Brook PCB itself to my PC's USB ports

Yeah man, that's all I've done, just plugged it straight into the slot on the pcb. The wires they sold at arcadeworld were only 2m so I bought a 3m one the other day and replaced it.

Sounds like you're right, the EZ mod might be causing problems.

You can plug a usb cable into the J6-1 on the fighting board - https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/#cont10

but it looks like you'd need to cut the cable and solder it on unless you've got a usb cable with this sort of connector from an old stick.

FlklOP8.jpg

I'm assuming the EZ mod is something that was supposed to bypass all of this fannying about and headaches though :(

You might have to bite the bullet and just connect everything to the UFB and then hopefully the USB cable will work from the port.

Thanks a lot! Good to know you can definitely use a single cable from that printer-style port. The stock USB cable that comes with the Obsidian looks exactly like the one in your picture. It's currently connected to the EZ Mod rather than the main Brook PCB, but I guess it can go in either. It's a bit flimsy, which is why I'm hoping to install a braided one - I'll keep an eye out for a good cable with the same 4-pin connector on it!

Thanks again. :)

Edit: looks like there is one, although it'd need a harness soldering on. Will keep it in mind!

Hey folks, not sure if I have mentioned in this thread before but I set up a site listing games that are compatible with the flip grip a while ago.

Obviously I try to keep it up to date with anything that comes out but I haven't picked up anything on Switch personally since Crimson Clover.

Does Missile Dancer have tate mode and rotate the right way for the flip grip? Anything else I've missed?

Also, does anybody mind if I periodically ask this - would love to keep the site up to date but often reviews and eshop listings don't mention a tate mode at all.

Thanks!

@Klatrymadon I used a printer cable (type A to B) on mine, but now I have a female B on the back of my VSHG, but I need to cut some plastic on the stick away to make it fit nicely. At the moment, it looks kind of balls but the stick is mobile, and I have two "printer cables" —one on the PS4 in the living room and the other on the Switch in the "home office".

@Alshiethanks! I loved that site when I last looked. CCWE is amazing, isn't it? I see no problem with you periodically asking for updates. Isn't it nice that is the situation? Asking what new shmup titles need to be added to a list of portable TATE-mode gaming?