@ImmaculateClump No worries! :) I lurk in here from time to time and have been meaning to pick up ESP for a while, based on how much people rate it. I don't play shmups a lot, but fancied getting my teeth into one over the Christmas break (in the absence of a PS5 and Demon's Souls). I did consider the emu route but would prefer to give it a go on the TV rather than my laptop.

Edit, SeaGM + 5 minutes fooling with the eShop means I'm now the permanent owner of ESP :D

7 hours ago, Marlew said:

Absolutely amazing to even get there, though.

Thankyou beautiful :D

I hate the way psikyo games punish you so hard for doing well. If you have one too many bombs or if you're only just waist deep in your grave, all of a sudden the bullets triple in number and speed.
Once they've had your extra life away, the baddies are like "alright lads, he's had enough" and it all goes back to normal.

I just need to get to that boss with a spare life and then I can cheesy bomb spam my way to smelly scrub glory!

Well I just finished moving house but I'm back and ready to hit a shmup sometime.

- Black Bird in the Switch sale - listen to Clump, this game is immense. BUY IT

- Progear coming, that's big news! Another Cave game on Switch. Dreading the price as it's in a 10-pack.

- Clump - good work with Tengai... It's hard that game

- I didn't get Gunbird 2 in the end, decided to focus on Dragon Blaze when the Psikyo bug hits me again. It's lovely.

- I need to get back to ESP, and feel suddenly elated I spent insane dollar on the physical copy when it first came out

1 hour ago, hazeredmist said:

Well I just finished moving house

2020 wasn't quite stressful enough so you decided to cap it off with a house move?

Haze likes to keep things interesting :lol:

Dear me, hope you all get relatively settled in time for santy coming!

Haven't tried it yet but that Gyroblade game is out now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1469340/GyroBlade/

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Hey, this is alright!

If you manage to kill a whole wave of enemies, the last enemy will drop a medal and you get bonus points at the end of the stage for each medal collected.

Most things shoot aimed bullets and the enemies are spaced out so the difficulty comes from pushing yourself round the screen to make sure you get everything, misdirecting enemy fire and making sure you grab all the medals.

Looks like it'd be an easy survival clear, but you put yourself at risk loads more when going for score.

I likes it! Had a quick blast and it was really good fun. Looks like hard mode is pretty beefy! Lots of missiles flying around!

Ooooh, pc dweebs getting the updated switch version too!

Hope he's fixed the final boss milking at the end because currently, you're better off managing the rank and getting there with a boat load of lives if you're playing for score. Would love some built in autofire options too.

Dive on this when it comes if you haven't played it!

This is excellent, by the way, was trying a few games yesterday and this one stood out - https://archive.org/details/ZenIchi

Nice and fast and the scoring loop is great fun!

Humble Mark (if you're wondering, Haze, he eventually got back to me so I've changed his name :lol: ) talking about xenia, I'll be interested in watching this because I've got three separate versions that I use for different games and dlc and I'd like to streamline that if possible!

I don't think I ever said but I got the Overpower DLC for Rolling Gunner. It's pretty good, and quite a bit easier than the base game but I'm not entirely convinced that firing a big bullet every second that wipes out all enemy bullets is a particularly satisfying mechanic. It makes the game more about using the bullet stream defensively to cancel patterns before they become a danger. It's different, but not especially fun and it basically removes the bullet dodging altogether apart from some tough boss patterns and the sections where enemies come from all sides (which are my least favourite parts of the game).

Ehhhhhhh. It's OK. 

Innit? So disappointing. It's very much like the "360 arrange" on some cave games that effectively turn the game into a casual twin stick shooter.

There's a market for that, of course, but it's not the exciting arrange mode I was hoping for.

Like you say, they made it too easy, even playing on a stick, there's like no challenge at all, which isn't always a bad thing, but there's nothing much exciting going on to balance it. The scoring isn't fun enough to make up for it.

Shame.

Yeah, if it were utter carnage, easy but mad scoring with medals spewing all over the place, I'd be more up for it. But it ended up less intense than the base game and completely unbefitting of the name OVERPOWER.

About a year ago or whatever, probably a lot more, I was enormously looking forward to it. Glad that my enthusiasm dropped off, really, I would have been pretty gutted. 

On 22/12/2020 at 11:58, hazeredmist said:

- Progear coming, that's big news! Another Cave game on Switch. Dreading the price as it's in a 10-pack.

Is there more info in this? I can't really find anything about it.

There's a rumour that it's a timed exclusive and the whole thing will be coming June 1st to PC, PS4 and Xbox One as well.

All signs point to the emulation being done in-house by capcom which, judging by the reactions, might not be m2 levels of "phew!", but makes it more than safe and definitely worth paying for.

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

completely unbefitting of the name OVERPOWER.

Haha, yeah, "Oh, right, so it's me who's overpowered?"

The titles are usually like "sooper bigdaddy asshander mega gunmetal black label dweeb twatter super smasher edition EX" they should have called this "micro periwinkle label"

1 hour ago, Sane said:

Is there more info in this? I can't really find anything about it.

there's some info on the shmups forum, not sure how acurate but looks like it's translated from a magazine

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67761&start=120

apparently this is one of the packs, if so that's good as the 2 games i'd want are in the same pack

"Devour Heaven & Earth II: Battle of Redwall
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Powered Gear
Cyber Bots
19XX
Battle Circuit
Giga Wing
Storm of Progear"

On 29/12/2020 at 13:55, Marlew said:

Yeah, if it were utter carnage, easy but mad scoring with medals spewing all over the place, I'd be more up for it. But it ended up less intense than the base game and completely unbefitting of the name OVERPOWER.

About a year ago or whatever, probably a lot more, I was enormously looking forward to it. Glad that my enthusiasm dropped off, really, I would have been pretty gutted. 

How much was it? It's due here soon they said, wondering what the cost will be. I'll get it regardless, the dev deserves all the support in the world. I love Rolling Gunner.

It's listed as $10 on the US eshop, so I'd guess around 7 to 10 quid.

Put me down for a fiver on "£7.99"

Just looked up how much I had to pay to get the effing download code mailed to me from japan so I could plug it into some random file hosting site and download the zip file (I'm not kidding).

1,800 yen, which was £13.31 at the time. The spod tax is real.

On 30/12/2020 at 21:33, ImmaculateClump said:

This is available on xbone as well, by the way, if you don't like playing on pc. It's even got a demo on there you can try - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/teslapunk/c05g0ppf749l

It's really good fun! You shoot the baddies and collect the blue things and that builds up your hyper and then you wait for there to be loads of bullets on screen and whack the hyper button and all the bullets disappear, rinse and repeat.

Really good use of music and lots of variety between the stages. Really big surprise, just snuck into my top five shmups of 2020 at the end there, I reckon! It's loads of fun.

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Look at the version we have to play on pc! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/860590/MissileDancer/

Are you still sitting on that review/interview, marlew? Will that come out soon?

Yeah, I will do. Got the interview ready to go but will revisit my review. Been a while since I did anything much so that'll get me back in the swing of things. 

Shame the PC version looks like that. I don't get it.