Dr Seedyman

Shmups

Are the bosses awesome though, are they. I love bosses so much. Psyvarier 2 has some amazing bosses. The second one that comes up and down the lift shaft is beautiful. Its certainly my most played shooter. And the only one I can 1cc. Im close to doing a one credit run on under defeat too.

Oh hell yeah. M'Sama's level 3 is a homage to Rtype level 3.

Its all garden insects and bugs but drawn very well. Its only downside it the Ultra mode is retty hard. Well one of the hardest games ever with bullet patterns that cannot be avoided.

ESPGaluda features a better scoring system and learning curve though.

Sounds scary. I like the thought of riding around on bugs and stuff. Not as cool as helicopters but still pretty awesome. Does unavoidable bullet patterns not make you wanna smash things in rage?

Although they are hard i don't think cave games are ever unfair (well in normal mode).

They usually slo-down so you can work out a route through the massve barrages.

Cool. My only concern is that PS2 stuff looks gash on my new Hdtv. XBLA is the perfect home for all this stuff. Triggerheart and Ikaruga look gorgeous in Hd, the Hori EX2 stick is gorgeous. Its a perfect partnership. Some of the homebrew/indie shooters linked in the thread would be well worth peoples live points rather thank most of the wank on there.

Well, you know we're getting Raiden Fighters plus "19whatever it is" but they're full price sadly. But yeah, XBLA is ideal for homebrew shmups.

We're getting 2 Cave shmups but AFAIK they're Japan only unless 505 games gets them.

I've emailed them, but i've not heard back but at the very least it should draw their attention to them.

What an awesome post. Seriously. Its about the bosses for me. Call it a bit cheesy but I just love that explosion and slowdown. especially if it gives you an Ikaruga style "Warning:No Refuge" thing on the screen. I love it. Under Defeat does gorgeous bosses. When you sink the big aircraft carrier and it starts to rain. Beautiful

You need to play Warning Forever if you haven't already.

Afterbirth, Is Raiden Fighters and the new 19xx getting a Pal release or is it region free. Do you know. Full price is a bit of a pisser but im happy to pay it for a good shooter because they get so much play. It sounds daft but at 40 quid if you play it 80 times you have broken even in terms of 50p per 3 credits. If that makes sense. Its how I justify spending money on arcade posts.

You need to play Warning Forever if you haven't already.
Wow! Thats fucking awesome. Its similar to Chaos Field in therms of it being a boss rush game. Are they by the same people. Milestone is it. Im probably way off. Speaking of milestone, did anyone play Radirigy or Karous, Karous looked like it had lovely graphics.

There is no precedent for NTSC-J Japanese 360 games being region free, James. The only faint chance is a region free NTSC-J Asian release, but there's next to no hope of it happening.

Man, fingers crossed we get a pal release of that. Wartech did but absolutely bombed at retail. I happily paid 50 sheets for it from gamestation. But others didnt seem so keen. Its about a fiver these days.

Jaxon, they look awesome. Are the straight bullet dodgeing or is there an intricate chaining/combo system to them. What you you compare them to.

The trademark of the series? I'd say large numbers of slower moving bullets, and dodging is usually best accomplished by making small movements, not large sweeps from side to side. There's not really a combo or chaining system to any of the games, but scoring can get a bit complicated, and varies from title to title. Generally, you'll maximize your score by collecting items near the top of the screen and grazing all the bullets you can.

If you want to start out with one, I'd recommend Imperishable Night.

I made a vertical shooter (along with another bloke) called fren-ze, it's a bit bullet hell but you have a reflect shield so it's not as bad as it looks.

http://www.hermitgames.com/frenze.html

frenze006t.jpgfrenze009t.jpgfrenze007t.jpg

I'm probably going to make another shooter after OokiBloks is finished. Vertical bullet hell is very niche though and lots of people have widescreen monitors these days, a 3:4 ratio looks quite restricted on a 16:9 display. I'd mostly be making it just for myself ;)

Matt, that looks awesome. Thats the kind of stuff that should be on xbla! Home/small dev teams making stuff they like. Have you put music to it yet? Does it have a scoring system in place? Good work sir.

Why not make another UN Squadron for people with HDTV widescreen display. Too many shoot them use 3:4 mode on Tate. I love it.
Too true. Imagine a proper follow up/re make of Un Squadron. Proper Hd. Would be the best thing ever. However, a friend of mine who works for Capcom says they cant do anything more with it because they no longer own the rights to the Area-88 manga/anime. Boo :-(

Why not make another UN Squadron for people with HDTV widescreen display.

Was going to post this, damn good idea.

Anything side-scrolling in nature knocking about for the PC? Your UN squadron/Silkworm/Project X/R type affair?

Very true legendary. I loved the lay out of Area 88, The choosing of the next level. The RPG element of it. If I was gonna make a shooter I would wanna control a stealth bomber. It would be made of pure awesome. I love the realistic war settings of 88 and UD but some of that cave artwork was gorgeous.

Was going to post this, damn good idea. Anything side-scrolling in nature knocking about for the PC? Your UN squadron/Silkworm/Project X/R type affair?
Stu, Massive High fives on Silkworm. Awesome game man. Again, always with the war theme.

So I'm playing Homura and I really like it.

You basically have a shoot button (obviously) and a slash button that you can use once every 5 seconds. The slash button repels any nearby bullets and if you're next to an enemy, you'll kill all the enemies on the screen in a slashtastic strobing slice move. You can make it go faster by tapping that button once you cut the first enemy ;) Anyways, depending on how many enemies there are on screen, you'll get a multiplier, which then decays over time. If you slash up another bunch of enemies, you'll reset the multiplier to that. So the idea seems to be you wait until you get to a bit of the level where you can fill the screen with enemies and get a massive multiplier, then shoot the shit out of everything. Each bullet you repel also nets you 1000points x your multiplier. So if you stay still and wait for a shitload of bullets to get to you, you can smash a whole load back for mega points. This works especially well against bosses who have some kind of attack where a massive collection of bullets is about to be launched at you, you can nip in and smash them all back.

By the way, the bosses are excellent fun, shouting in funny Japanese voices at you. Plus you can choose to go the easy or hard route in each level (well, the 2 I've played). YEAH!

Stiff, that sounds awesome. Im gonna check out some videos. You seriously need to check out Wartech on the 360. Its like Virtua Fighter levels of deep. Ryan Hart personally suggested it to me. Him and Saurien went to Japan and rinsed it for a week straight. Im tempted to buy you a copy myself.

If forgot all about Mushihimesama! I love it on my PS2. I need to hook it up again.

ESPGaluda was ace too. I could get to the last stage on one credit...

ESP RA DE is my all time favourite though. Utterly amazing in every way.