Sign in to follow this  
Grey Fox

Pier Solar

You know, I was interested until I saw the writing (in)ability that had gone into the website: typos and misused words galore, never mind plain old clunky descriptions, which doesn't bode too well for a game in a genre that sells on script more than anything else.

You know, I was interested until I saw the writing (in)ability that had gone into the website: typos and misused words galore, never mind plain old clunky descriptions, which doesn't bode too well for a game in a genre that sells on script more than anything else.

And although the spritework isnt too bad, it's a bit bland, lifeless,far too much like parts of Star Ocean and to top it all off, did anyone watch the trailer and see the character artwork? Shocking!

If you're gonna sell the damn game, comission someone from fucking Deviant Art and they'll do a better job of it :(

I'm not sure I really see the point in releasing games for completely dead consoles.

People stil buy games for defunct systems. Look at the likes of the Vectrex. That has a very strong community behind it and theres always new releases being made yet it was released way back in 1983. Consoles never really die if theres a big enough community. The Jaguar is another one as that gets new releases every so often. People want new games for them.

I don't doubt that there's a market for this stuff, but I do wonder what difference it makes that this is on the Megadrive. Are people really attached to the controller or something?

The Vectrex thing I can understand. It has a funny controller and a unique screen that isn't easily emulated.

Also, the game looks well shit.

I don't doubt that there's a market for this stuff, but I do wonder what difference it makes that this is on the Megadrive. Are people really attached to the controller or something?

I wouldn't have thought they create the games for much financial gain. A lot of places that offer titles like this where they recreate the packaging and carts etc tend to do so quite close to cost. Its more about getting something new out for the system rather than being in it for the money. I guess a lot of it is just for kudos because how many people could claim they made a Megadrive game or any other game for that matter.

Well I for one am extremely happy to see dedicated retro enthusiasts going to so much trouble to produce new games for vintage machines. This looks terrific, and I've just pre-ordered it. Thanks for the heads up, Grey Fox.

Preordered mine last night. Went for the Posterity Pack!

I had a quick go at the demo, I must say it hasnt gripped me completely yet. However when it comes to new retro software Im all for supporting the teams to encourage more to be released!

Also cause I know that later down the line, my collecting obsession will only make me want to own it!

Preordered mine last night. Went for the Posterity Pack!

Same here! It says on the website that if you go for the Posterity Pack your name (or whatever else you want in there) will feature in the manual, the end credits, and "much more"... not sure what that might entail exactly, but with any luck I'll turn up in some remote village running a tavern (or a brothel).

I'm all for new games for classic systems, but I don't half get the feeling that much of the story is going to be shoehorned into a couple of bits of dialogue with no tact or subtext.

And it'll probably be like, "yes your the choosen one. go kill alot of enemas".

It wouldn't hurt getting spellcheckers ffs. And maybe looking for (auditioning, even) amateur writers to peruse the story.

Considering the Megadrive could have 64 colours on screen at once I find it strange that this (and too many other megadrive games) seem to look waaay too drab. Monkey Island in 16 colours looks more vibrant than this.

Hmmm after reading various forums, there is a lot of negative feedback regarding new Megadrive releases.

However, theyre not being looked at from the right perspective.

The teams behind these are small, have fulltime jobs and are working on developing a game for a long dead system, most likely without the original dev hardware and manuals.

Wether or not the grammar is bad, the graphics may look slightly dull here n there... This is a fantastic achievement and something unique.

These guys are doing the best they can & i dont see anyone else coding for these systems we love!

There a may be a reason for that.

I mean, it's all very well and good saying how great and talented they are for making a game on a truly dead format, but what's the actual point? Why not dedicate their skills to making a PC game or something? I'm sure their time will be better spent making a decent game than struggling with antiquated hardware. More people would actually play it as well. It'd be cheaper too.

There a may be a reason for that.

I mean, it's all very well and good saying how great and talented they are for making a game on a truly dead format, but what's the actual point? Why not dedicate their skills to making a PC game or something? I'm sure their time will be better spent making a decent game than struggling with antiquated hardware. More people would actually play it as well. It'd be cheaper too.

Because one can argue that the term 'decent game' was something left behind in the 16bit era of gaming... I know ill be opening a can of worms saying this but its something i truly believe.

The point is quite simple. There is still a very large fan base/interest in the Megadrive (and all the other retro consoles) and if you have the ability to create something for a console that you love, then why not!? Its not about the costs, its about the game and the effort behind it.

It may too be 'antiquated hardware' but that hardware is whats shaped the modern games of today that you refer to.

And if anything, its a nice breath of fresh air compared to the non stop releases of tedious first person shooters...

I disagree with the sentiment that there havn't been any decent games since the mid-nineties and think that's a bit backwards, but that's a debate for another time.

On topic, I doesn't really follow that if you want to release something in the spirit and style of 16-bit gaming then you have to release it for a dead machine. It's limiting the audience, making life difficult for yourself and making the whole endeavor seem a little bit precious. I mean, the Megadrive was just a means of playing the games that were out for it at the time. I find it odd that anyone would be attached to the machine itself. It's like being in love with an old classic iPod over the music it plays, and deciding to release some songs just for that gadget that won't play on anything else. That might be a pretty weak analogy, but the point stands, I think. It's not like there's even anything particularly unique to the Megadrive controller, given that a USB pad could easily perform the same role.

In an era where they could release a retro-styled RPG as a cheap download and have thousands upon thousands of people experience it, it seems a waste of talent to limit themselves to such a niche.

I disagree with the sentiment that there havn't been any decent games since the mid-nineties and think that's a bit backwards, but that's a debate for another time.

On topic, I doesn't really follow that if you want to release something in the spirit and style of 16-bit gaming then you have to release it for a dead machine. It's limiting the audience, making life difficult for yourself and making the whole endeavor seem a little bit precious. I mean, the Megadrive was just a means of playing the games that were out for it at the time. I find it odd that anyone would be attached to the machine itself. It's like being in love with an old classic iPod over the music it plays, and deciding to release some songs just for that gadget that won't play on anything else. That might be a pretty weak analogy, but the point stands, I think. It's not like there's even anything particularly unique to the Megadrive controller, given that a USB pad could easily perform the same role.

In an era where they could release a retro-styled RPG as a cheap download and have thousands upon thousands of people experience it, it seems a waste of talent to limit themselves to such a niche.

I wasn't referring to every single game ever made since then, however the ratio of bad to good has certainly increased.

It maybe limiting the audience as you say, however youll find its limiting it to the die hard who will enjoy it.

Its all well saying that it should be released in a 16bit style on XBL or PSN or WiiWare etc, however in my opinion the current gaming audience is not one that will ever appreciate it nor give it the time it deserves.

The majority of my modern age gaming friends are graphics orientated and have lost the plot with gaming.

The games they download off the XLA/PSN/WiiStore are given a matter of minutes before gathering virtual dust on the dashboards, with Shooter/Neon Car Racer 8 being loaded promptly after.

I dont quite follow your iPod reference as i feel the music industry is something completely different.

Music from every era is played regardless of the player, where as games (not yet rereleased) obviously require the hardware it was intended for.

And as for the niche you have refered to, that is the one they want to impress and sell to. From what I gather, the guys arent too fussed if they dont sell that many, they just want their product to go out to the ones that will enjoy it. And on that matter, Beggar Prince despite being a rereleased and tranlated game is now on its third (if im not mistaken) print run, which is rather impressive

• Downvote 1

I wasn't referring to every single game ever made since then, however the ratio of good to bad has certainly increased.

It maybe limiting the audience as you say, however youll find its limiting it to the die hard who will enjoy it.

Its all well saying that it should be released in a 16bit style on XBL or PSN or WiiWare etc, however in my opinion the current gaming audience is not one that will ever appreciate it nor give it the time it deserves.

The majority of my modern age gaming friends are graphics orientated and have lost the plot with gaming.

The games they download off the XLA/PSN/WiiStore are given a matter of minutes before gathering virtual dust on the dashboards, with Shooter/Neon Car Racer 8 being loaded promptly after.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Releasing it to a wider market might not change the gaming habits of the majority, but will certainly reel in a few and make the game more readily available to the kind of people that are interested in 2D. On the other hand, releasing the game as a Megadrive cartridge is a massive and pointless hurdle that will put a lot of people off. As for graphics whores, you're talking about people that would never play this sort of game anyway, and as such are an irrelevence to the topic at hand.

I think you're being hugely patronising to the majority of gamers, too.

I dont quite follow your iPod reference as i feel the music industry is something completely different.

Music from every era is played regardless of the player, where as games (not yet rereleased) obviously require the hardware it was intended for.

You're kind of proving my point. Yeah, music of every era is playable regardless of player, and that's something that the games industry would do well to emulate where possible. Obviously markets and technology put the kibosh on that when it comes to newly released games, but when we're talking about old games, or those that seek to emulate them stylistically, there's no need for it at all. The technology is there to run Pier Solar or Beggar Prince on pretty much any PC/Mac or modern console and the format specific release is an artifical hurdle to people enjoying the game.

And as for the niche you have refered to, that is the one they want to impress and sell to. From what I gather, the guys arent too fussed if they dont sell that many, they just want their product to go out to the ones that will enjoy it. And on that matter, Beggar Prince despite being a rereleased and tranlated game is now on its third (if im not mistaken) print run, which is rather impressive

Their finances bother me little, but the inherent kind of preciousness and snobbery that surrounds these kind of releases does. It's as if they're suggesting that unless you're willing to dig out an old Megadrive, set it up and spend money on the cartridge then you aren't really worthy of playing the game, and certainly aren't experiencing it properly. Nonsense.

Unless any of them are on here, I guess we won't know why they did it. My theory is that it's just one long nostalgia trip, and at the end of it, they get to say they made a Mega Drive game. Maybe they're such big fans, that's all they want to achieve.

Exactly. My guess is that the challenge of developing something for Megadrive is as much a reward for these guys as actually seeing the finished game out there. I think this kind of thing is great. It was inconceivable when we were playing Megadrive and SNES that you could make and release your own game for these consoles and yet all these years later (thanks to the internet and spread of information I guess) these guys (and others are doing it). It is a massive endeavour to actually complete a project like this especially when it is all done around exisiting jobs etc. Think it was more about the Sega fan community working together to create something almost a tribute to the machine they love. Also they seemt o have done something pretty clever in that originally it seems they were going to release:

A Megadrive cart with weaker sound and better graphics (due to access to memory or something)

A Mega CD version with Redbook audio but slightly worse graphics

However they seem to hve found a way to include a CD that you can pop in your MegaCD and play in conjunction with the cart (a bit like Flux) so you get the superior cartridge graphics AND the redbook audio. Clever stuff.

I think it is great when games get released on "dead" formats. Particularly in this case where it is a role-play game rather than the usual shooter or Tetris clone etc.

Having said that I'm also going to be getting Wind & Water Puzzle Battles on Dreamcast and possibly even Dux.

One of these days I'll have to learn to code :-)

I think the last two posts have put across the point I was trying to make originally, unfortunately im not the best at getting my point across at times!

I think the gamers who arent too interested in retro or consider new games in retro style to be retro, will definately not see the magic behind this, nor be that interested in this release...

I must add too, Grey Fox, Wind & Water is fantastic, if youve not played the Gp2X version yet ull definately be hooked from the first time you play! It gets incredibly hard later on though!

Hey, I'm more than welcoming to sprite based 2D gaming and whatever. It's a perfectly valid stylistic approach, I just don't think that it should extend as far as the format the game appears on.

But hey, it's their game. I'm just making my opinion know, as is the nature of the interweb.

I just spotted this project today on the same site that someone posted up recently about the Sega history.

I never knew this existed and after seeing this thread and the argument about "why make a new game for an older console when it could have been made for a current machine such as the PC," made me feel like responding. To me, the whole idea of launching a new game for an old console is for that authentic feel you don't get when downloading or buying a game on the net. Before I saw this argument one of the first things that happened to me was the whole excitement of getting that game in the form of an ACTUAL MD cartridge. I had the same pang of emotion when I saw some unofficial NES carts released not long ago.

I would love to see something like this for the SNES too, although i'm guessing it would be hard to top or come close to some of the stuff square enix did especially in their later days.

For me I love this whole concept, and for people who would like to play the game away from the console, i'm sure they could be re-released on a modern system several years after the original collectors releases. Another thing about this sort of project, is that it doesn't make you feel over flooded with a million games continually coming out for the one system you use. The fact that only one group has released a game on the MD since its official death makes that one game unique and gives it a good chance of going down in the new age history of the machine. I hope I see more of this sort of thing.

It was a bit like when I saw translations come from old games for the first time. I was amazed to be able to play something that previously would have been pointless looking at. It expanded the library available to me and many other just by releasing the english language to games. This new approach takes that to a further level.

I definitely support this sort of activity.

How did this thing do anyway? It's looking like its out of stock entirely.

If i was to ever made a game for an old retro system, it would be more the achievement and the fact you said "yeah i made a game for the megadrive". Would be pretty nifty. Even if it wasnt released commercially at the time.

It was also awesome when that last batch of DC shooters came out a couple years back, even though it'd been dead years. Huge nostalgia, getting a new game for an old system is awesome.