rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Amazing Spider-Man: Andrew Garfield as Spidey

Not much to go on yet, but Nicki Finke (of Deadline Hollywood) has apparently found a source inside Sony who claims that Raimi and Maguire will both be back for a fourth and possibly fifth movie. It's not going to be cheap to produce, I imagine the stars were contracted for the first three movies so new deals will have to be struck. Sony know this, hence the idea to shoot them back to back.

There's no news on the villains yet, but almost everyone was disappointed to see how Venom was handled in the third movie. So much so that a spin off Venom movie is also being planned.

Here's all we've got so far...

Back in May, Cinematical was the first to report that Sony Pictures might shoot Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5 at the same time using James Vanderbilt's script that the site said spans two films.

Now, Deadline Hollywood Daily has added on that director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire have apparently signed on the dotted line for Spider-Man 4, which the studio is targeting for a May 2011 release.

DHD adds that there's no deal for Kirsten Dunst to return as Mary Jane Watson yet, but the character will be featured and the studio would not recast her.

As for the baddie in the fourth picture, the site says that principal photography doesn't start until the fall of 2009 and that once we find out who the villain we'll know who is playing it. Naturally, speculation would put Dylan Baker's character Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard at the head of the line, but who knows?

According to the site, "the studio is trying to figure out if it can feasibly shoot Spider-Man 4 and 5 at the same time because doing that is so cost effective and 'it wasn't so easy to get everybody back together.'"

DHD also says that Sony has hired two screenwriters to pen the new script for the Spidey spin-off Venom.

I realise it is a cash-cow but they need to drop these films for a while and ditch Raimi too. I'm sort of surprised any of the principle people would come back after seeing how bored they looked of the whole thing during the press tour for number 3. But I guess anyone will do something for the right money.

Shooting back-to-back films always worries me too. It never ends well from a quality standpoint. The Matrix and PotC sequels being a good recent example.

It's just such a massive undertaking, bigger still with something like this that I can only imagine it getting worse as filming grinds on. By the end of it all I can imagine they'll be even more pissed off with the films than the were with 3.

I think Sony have looked at The Dark Knight and how much money its made and figured it was time to set the ball in the motion to score back some of those records. See also the retooling of Superman.

They need to realise that The Dark Knights success was almost certainly a one off, a combination of so many elements all coming together perfectly. You can't give something a "dark and moody" tag and expect a $160M weekend.

I agree that the series is one that needs to get completely overhauled. I wonder what Aronosky would do with it?

He'd probably ruin it. I'm really glad he never got his hands on Batman because as much as Schumacher messed up I could see Aronofsky putting the series back just as far.

I realise it is a cash-cow but they need to drop these films for a while and ditch Raimi too. I'm sort of surprised any of the principle people would come back after seeing how bored they looked of the whole thing during the press tour for number 3. But I guess anyone will do something for the right money.

Shooting back-to-back films always worries me too. It never ends well from a quality standpoint. The Matrix and PotC sequels being a good recent example.

Back To The Future 2 and 3? I wouldn't say the quality of them is bad!

2 is my favourite, but when you watch all 3 in a row they are a superb fun trilogy with constant nods and winks to each other.

Back To The Future 2 and 3? I wouldn't say the quality of them is bad!

Yeah this is the only set of films I can think where back to back productions worked (although I was never that fond of 3 but it is far from a bad film).

I guess Lord of the Ring also fits in to the good camp but I'm not sure how they would have done those films any other way.

LET IT DIE!

Or if not let it die kick that talentless tosser Maguire (or however you fucking spell it) in the cunt and tell Raimi to start giving a flying fuck. Fucking hell, if they are going for 4 and 5 then 3 is an even bigger missed opportunity than it already is.

id rather them do some other films. TMNT i would love to have a more dark edgy style going back to the original comic books (I am aware this is already a possibility) or perhaps some other super hero film.

i) Find the Maguire with a personality that was in the second film as opposed to the vexacious dullard that featured in the first and third

ii) Give us the Lizard at last, then have Kraven show up to complicate matters further

iii) ???

iv) Profit!

Thats just cruel. I know number 3 has left the franchise mortally wounded, begging for one final shot between the eyes, but two?! Overkill.

I love Spidey and thought 1 and 2 and the first half of 3 where great. The action scenes are perfect, but my God did Raimi fuck up 3. I swear he did it on purpose it was so bad. Which hopefully bodes well for 4?

I am not serious comic buff but what can Spiderman do for future films as I think we have 3 good films, and not sure if there is demand for 4th film.

Why do we always see superheroes films in New York ? (Batman, Superman, Spiderman and co). Why can't we see Spiderman on holiday in London or Madrid or Miami ?

I am not serious comic buff but what can Spiderman do for future films as I think we have 3 good films, and not sure if there is demand for 4th film.

Why do we always see superheroes films in New York ? (Batman, Superman, Spiderman and co). Why can't we see Spiderman on holiday in London or Madrid or Miami ?

What would he swing on?

Also, Batman and Superman don't live in New York.

You fail at comic book knowledge.

And in one episode of the cartoon Spiderman went to Russia.

It was just a suggestion.

The lad did state that he wasn't a comic-book shill.

Raimi's handling of 3 was massively unprofessional. He should've left Sandman out of it. I was entertained by it, but I've got no desire to see a 4th, let alone a 5th. And as moosegrinder points out, the fact they are coming back just makes the handling of Sandman and Venom all the more unforgivable.

Raimi's handling of 3 was massively unprofessional. He should've left Sandman out of it.

If anyone was unprofessional with 3 it was the studio. Put Venom in! Listen to the fans! Black costume!

If Raimi hates Venom and you want Venom in the film maybe it'd be an idea to get him to sit it out and find a director that does like all that Lethal Protector symbiote bullcrap.

If anyone was unprofessional with 3 it was the studio. Put Venom in! Listen to the fans! Black costume!

If Raimi hates Venom and you want Venom in the film maybe it'd be an idea to get him to sit it out and find a director that does like all that Lethal Protector symbiote bullcrap.

How is the studio unprofessional for wanting to include one of the most popular villains in the movie? They gave him free reign for two movies, and he could have re-imagined Venom in a way he was happy with. Instead he had a tantrum and mardily destroyed the character/movie/franchise. It's irrelevant if some hardcore fans (inc. Raimi) don't like the character and want to boycott it, the fact is Venom is the most famous Spiderman villain after Doc Oc and Goblin, so I don't understand why Raimi felt his franchise would be able to bypass the character. To remove Raimi from the project would've been a death knell for the franchise anyway because it would mean losing the principle cast and cohesion with the previous movies. So yeah, you're talking bullcrap.

So if you have someone who with his free reign has made you two incredibly successful, massively popular films and has plans for a third in a similar vein then it's not idiotic to suddenly start dictating what he can and can't do because you think you can do a better job? And not just that but by insisting he involves a character he's on record as disliking and not wanting to use as far back as the first film? It strikes me as utterly moronic. Venom didn't work because Raimi had a tantrum and made a bad movie on purpose, they didn't work because it was jammed in as an afterthought despite everyone's better judgement.

And if you want to talk about cohesion of the franchise; if the first two films are essentially a re-imagining of the Stan Lee Steve Ditko era comics then how is dropping a prime example of the grim & gritty post DKR ethos in as an afterthought maintaining cohesion? That's like going from "If This Be My Destiny" straight into "The Death of Captain DeWolff". Both good Spider-man stories but miles apart in tone.

Yes Venom is amazingly popular but Spider-Man 3 would have been massive without him. You could have even introduced the black costume in the Sandman/goblin story and still had it work. But no. Venom now! and the whole thing goes tits up. Oh and Raimi clearly did reinvent the black costume in a way he wanted. People may not have like Emo-Parker but that's clearly Raimi trying to make the concept work in his franchise.

Fans may have wanted Venom but fans also hated the new Joker when they saw him the first time. Sometimes you have to trust the director knows what the hell they're doing. And Raimi has two Spider-man movies that said he did.

Sandman wasn't strong enough - and making him a sympathetic character was a repeat of Doc Oc. I doubt 3 would've been any better for focusing on him alone, especially considering how Raimi chose to conclude that storyline.

Sandman wasn't strong enough - and making him a sympathetic character was a repeat of Doc Oc. I doubt 3 would've been any better for focusing on him alone, especially considering how Raimi chose to conclude that storyline.

Watching 3 I got the impression that the original idea was mainly to focus on Harry and Peter and that was supposed to be what drove the movie. I have a hard time believing that the build up from the first two films was to be reduced to bump on the noggin amnesia and "Help me" "No, you killed my Dad. Oh alright then."

I've enjoyed the Spiderman films for the most part, but the second half of Spiderman 3 is beyond redemption. I think they've told the story they needed to tell, they should let it rest and re-boot it all again in about ten years.

spiderman 3 was a heap of crap IMO. you had the sandman, a pissed off harry osbourne and the venom suit all in one movie and what did they do with it? they turned it into a fucking episode of loose women with all that bloody relationship crap in it.

Dunst is onboard

Kirsten Dunst "in" for Spider-Man 4

Source: MTV

September 29, 2008

The recent revelation that Sony Pictures is looking to shoot Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5 at the same time didn't reveal whether Kirsten Dunst would rejoin director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire for the films.

Now, Dunst has told MTV that she'll be back as Mary Jane Watson:

"I'm in," said the actress matter of factly. However, when pressed to make the announcement official, Dunst quickly changed her tone, and rather cryptically added, "I'm not saying anything, I know there's rumors..."

The studio is targeting a May 2011 release for the fourth pic.