IGNORED

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

Between tonight and SF next weekend, I'm pretty excited. Anyone know where SF can be seen live over here?

Some real 50/50 fights tonight - cannot wait. Belfort's been so widely discounted that I hope he can pull something out. I wouldn't put my money on him, but I've been a fan of his for so long that I'd love to see the upset.

Silva needs to get his game face on and become a destroyer again, cant wait for tonights match as Belfort should bring it to the party.

Rich Franklin will hopefully beat up Griffin and Jjones the same to Bader, i just hope it doesnt become a wrestlefest.

Not quite the debut i was expecting from Torres, not a snooze fest but i expect fireworks from that guy.

Jones looked incredible and i can see him giving Shogun real problems in April.......im predicting a serious ground rape by jones.

Belfort was poor, terrible performance which probobly stemmed from a mixture of ringrust, nerves and fear, he should move weight or maybe even retire.

Retire might sound harsh considering he is still top 5 but you can't fight with that much fear.

Well, that was a pretty poor show.

The highlights, of which there were few, was the sweep Rocha used in the first and the kick, obviously, in the Silva fight. Still can't really stand Silva though, as good as he is, or his fucking precocious little twat child, or the association with Steven Seagal which is just bizarre.

I can easily see Jones winning the title from Rua, even with his nerves he still dominated Bader. Quite the force.

Hopefully next weekend will have some exciting fights.

The Paul Kelly fight was pretty damn good - some of the tightest, most technically proficient striking you'll see in the UFC. Yup, Jones looked great and Silva's kick was schweet for sure. Lovely pop of his hips on impact to crank Belfort's head right back. Niiiice.

I thought it was a decent event really.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Belfort. After the feeling out period he was catching Silva well, if it wasn't for that kick I think it would have been a decent fight. I had Silva pegged for a win, but not like that. I also thought it was a bit of a telegraphed kick really. I was thinking to myself before it happened "look at him staring at the ground, he's blatantly going for a head kick" and then boom, headshot. To be fair I didn't expect a front kick though.

Jon Jones entertaining as usual. I hope he keeps it standing with Rua for a great standing fight but I imagine it'll go to the ground in the first round. Having said that Rua is a BJJ black belt so hopefully should be able to at least tough it out for a while.

I really wish we'd been able to see Silva and Belfort go longer, they were just starting to open up. Belfort wasn't afraid, he was just not going to act completely stupid against a counter-puncher.

Bones was as absolutely brilliant as expected, can't wait for him to fight Shogun - I honestly don't know how that will go. Bones is a genuine force of nature, as much as I love Shogun.

Bad times for Omigawa, Kid, and the further disintegration of Japanese MMA's reputation in the West. Not that either deserved any more than that.

I've doubted Silva after some of his crappy performances, but the guy really is the greatest fighter of all time.

Silva vs GSP is going to be the biggest fight in MMA history, and I really have no idea what's going to happen. GSP could dominate Silva with his wrestling or get KTFO in spectacular style.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Belfort. After the feeling out period he was catching Silva well, if it wasn't for that kick I think it would have been a decent fight.

Nah nerves got the better of him, that kick was nice and all but even Bisbing could have parried that attack. Nerves fucked him over, c'mon i had him over Silva and lost £80 on this result, he's "been" a great fighter but in that division his attitude and metal weakness mean he will never be a top contender again.

Move up or move on.

EDIT: @ 205 he fits in better but regardless Bones would rape him.

I've doubted Silva after some of his crappy performances, but the guy really is the greatest fighter of all time.

Silva vs GSP is going to be the biggest fight in MMA history.

Agree. Silva today and on current experience is the GOAT. Fedor is up there but lacks the quality of opposition to cement his place as GOAT!

Silva will fuck GSP in the face at 185 though, after this weekend the fight i want to see is Silva/Jones @ 205. Dana/UFC just made the wrong superfight! :sherlock:

Silva will fuck GSP in the face at 185 though, after this weekend the fight i want to see is Silva/Jones @ 205. Dana/UFC just made the wrong superfight! :sherlock:

I like Jones and I think he has a great shot against Shogun. He is not there yet though. Beating Bader is good but its not like Bader is an Evans, Machida or Rampage. Jones is on his way but he is not a superstar yet.

In terms of GSP\Silva. Sonnen showed you can control Silva with good wrestling.

I think Silva has the advantage with his size but GSP has lightning quick takedowns and an awesome top game. He is no dummy on his feet either. I think GSP will take rounds of him. I can't see any walkover in that one.

I consider GSP to be a better wrestler than Chael Sonnen, and we all saw how that turned out.

More than likely, Silva wasn't taking him as seriously as he should have, but people would be crazy to totally discount. GSP's skill set against him. GSP will be able to close the gap and take Silva down at will, and he seems to have great submission defense - not that he needs to use it much.

I like Jones and I think he has a great shot against Shogun. He is not there yet though. Beating Bader is good but its not like Bader is an Evans, Machida or Rampage.

Agreed, he hasn't fought anyone good yet, I'll like to see him fight a top ten opponent. And GSP should never take the Silva fight.

Agreed, he hasn't fought anyone good yet, I'll like to see him fight a top ten opponent.

Bader was top ten, maybe not in yours or my top ten but in the top ten of people who know what they are on about he was there.

You probably mean top five, and in that case he is fighting someone in the top five. He can't fight Evans, Jackson and Silva are already booked, as is Noguiera, so what are they meant to do?

Actually, he could probably fight, and destroy, Griffin, but that's only if Griffin would even take that fight. By the time that could take place Evans would be back anyway and Shogun will have waited around for too long.

Nah nerves got the better of him, that kick was nice and all but even Bisbing could have parried that attack. Nerves fucked him over, c'mon i had him over Silva and lost £80 on this result, he's "been" a great fighter but in that division his attitude and metal weakness mean he will never be a top contender again.

Move up or move on.

EDIT: @ 205 he fits in better but regardless Bones would rape him.

You bet real money on Belfort beating Silva? What were you thinking? I just thought it that the ending was premature and unlucky but I didn’t think Belfort was likely to win (outside of a puncher’s chance). Silva has more tools and has been fighting more regularly than Belfort. Both fighters were feeling each other out and based on the first exchanges it seemed that Belfort could land hits on Silva. I thought it would go to round 3 or so with some decent exchanges, but come on, Belfort was not on challenger level yet. In some respects I do think it was nerves, in the sense that he hasn’t built a recent streak of wins against decent fighters to give him that “I can knock this guy out” confidence.

Belfort’s story is such a tragedy really, I feel bad for the guy.

I like Jones and I think he has a great shot against Shogun. He is not there yet though. Beating Bader is good but its not like Bader is an Evans, Machida or Rampage. Jones is on his way but he is not a superstar yet.

I don’t know, I’m a Shogun fan but he’s not consistent is he? I think Jones has a chance. It’s not a mismatch by any stretch.

In terms of GSP\Silva. Sonnen showed you can control Silva with good wrestling.

Sonnen just showed you juice up, pound a crack-ribbed Silva for 24 minutes and then get subbed the fuck out.

I think Silva has the advantage with his size but GSP has lightning quick takedowns and an awesome top game. He is no dummy on his feet either. I think GSP will take rounds of him. I can't see any walkover in that one.

Yeah totally. GSP is also very disciplined with regards to sticking to a gameplan, and he’s versatile enough to switch it up if the plan isn’t working. I think it would be a very good match.

My ass he's top ten, he lost the Nog fight and hasn't beaten anyone of note. Of ALL the light heavies in the world you're telling me Ryan Bader is in that elite top ten. I don't think so.

I agree it's poorly managed and there's nothing they can do, should be a good fight though, Jones has a good shot.

My ass he's top ten, he lost the Nog fight and hasn't beaten anyone of note. Of ALL the light heavies in the world you're telling me Ryan Bader is in that elite top ten. I don't think so.

If you check out any reputable MMA sites rankings for last month I am fairly certain Bader would feature in most, if not all, of them. Again, I'm not saying that i agree but I'd pick him over Silva, Mousasi and possibly Jackson given the right circumstances. Light heavyweight isn't as strong a division as it used to be.

He's back...

"Thank you, Anderson, for revealing yet another weakness for me to exploit in our rematch. Beating that poor punching bag doesn't impress Uncle Chael, guy. You tipped your hand like a chump poker player at a $5 table in Atlantic City. You may have beaten Vitor, but in the process, you LOST your edge. By beating that husk, you gave me the last page of your playbook. Revel in your time, [because] it ENDS the night you face me. I will mow you down like autumn wheat, AGAIN."

Yaaaaawn. Can anybody honestly say they are even the slightest bit excited about seeing that ass-hat Chael fight? I don't think I could even muster up a smile if his next opponent was the reanimated corpse of Bruce Lee and the fight was taking place at a strip club in space.

Chael, you fucked up. You went up against an injured Silva, juiced up to the eyeballs, gave him all you had for 24 minutes and then he subb'ed you out like a chump. Now fuck off.

Strikeforce

Feels like the end of an era. Fedor losing and suggesting retirement. I always thought he would have one run in the UFC but that looks a long shot now.

Well done Silva but this is somewhat of a disaster for this tourny.

:( its always sad to see father time catch up with your favorite fighters. The sport will miss Fedor if he does want to hang up his gloves. One of the greatest of all time.

The sport has passed him by, I doubt anyone will be worse off with him not around. It's not even like Silva is a star now because he beat him, barely anyone will remember that Silva was dominating the fight when it was stopped they'll just know that Fedor lost but wasn't beaten. If Werdum is still a nobody after convincingly beating Emelieanenko what hope did anyone have of coming out of this tournament with any more status, the company is a second-rate joke, casual fans watching it will have laughed at the production, presenting (Gus Johnson, somehow, seems to be getting worse) and the fighters.

The best result for everyone will be Overreem running through everyone and then quitting to join the UFC, but with this being Strikeforce there will be disaster after disaster and Chad Griggs will probably end winning the whole thing and the only stars that they had when the tournament began will haver either retired or be tarnished so badly that the company will have to shut up shop by the end of the year.