Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

So, 115. I thought it was a pretty great event. Pat Barry is on my radar now. He needs to seriously get to work on his ground game but damn, the boy can strike hard. The young kid who's name I forget was very good too.

Thought he showed Cro cop too much respect myself but it was one of the better ufc's from recent times.

Thought he showed Cro cop too much respect myself but it was one of the better ufc's from recent times.

To be fair, he broke his hand AND his foot in the first round. All the same, he could have flattened him easily in the first if he wasn't goofing off ;)

What about Franklin? Bloody hell broken arm and still won, thats gotta be embarrasing for Chuck, whose blatantly finished forever. Cro Cop looked his old self which was good but that "choke" stoppage was totally lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Strikeforce

I've been expecting this for a while - the politics (and the years) caught up with Fedor and he became less of a fighter and more of a figurehead. I'm still in shock though. It almost seems fitting that the opponent no-one thought worthy did it. It was a great sub, and Fedor obviously misjudged how much damage he'd done to Werdum.

Everything changes now, though. M-1's cash cow is no longer as valuable. UFC don't care anymore. Overeem/Fedor probably doesn't matter anymore.

I'm not saying that Werdum would beat Fedor in a rematch, but the bubble has been burst. Whilst I don't believe the rumours that he did it on purpose, it has to be a weight off his mind. I don't think the M-1 Vampires he works with ever remembered that he was the one carrying everything on his shoulders.

I hope that he gets his UFC run, as it's the only way to shut up a generation of fans who have no respect for Fedor - I think it's all over, though. God Speed You Last Emperor.

It was going to happen at some point and Fedors style has always been high-risk (that's not a criticism) - he's always known it'd be a matter of time. Fair play to Werdum for being able to clamp down on someone like Fedor and keep a hold of him like that. Really good BJJ.

But what an amazing run for him! A likeable, humble fighter, one (proper) loss in a career like his so far means little. I suspect Sherdog is on fire though.......

"LOLZORZ fuk u Fedur I alwaz sed he was the shitst fyter everz lololol!!!!"

The rest of the card was pretty dull, at least what I watched of it on Bravo. Lawler/Diaz was alright for the first round and a half, I suppose.

If Fedor was happy to wind down and enter russian politics beforehand, why would he be less inclined to now? He's always made it patently clear that he doesn't feel like he has to prove anything to anyone.

The only up side is if M-1 (or Fedor personally) feel the need to rebuild his reputation by taking on the biggest names in the division.

He's been a part-time member of the division for the last couple of years, and his only contribution in the last year has been catapulting Werdum up the rankings. I'm a huge Fedor fan, but he's his own worst enemy when it comes to remaining relevant to the sport's future.

If Fedor was happy to wind down and enter russian politics beforehand, why would he be less inclined to now? He's always made it patently clear that he doesn't feel like he has to prove anything to anyone.

The only up side is if M-1 (or Fedor personally) feel the need to rebuild his reputation by taking on the biggest names in the division.

He's been a part-time member of the division for the last couple of years, and his only contribution in the last year has been catapulting Werdum up the rankings. I'm a huge Fedor fan, but he's his own worst enemy when it comes to remaining relevant to the sport's future.

Quite simply he needs to do a stint in the UFC. If he doesn't he'll always split peoples opinions on how good he was / is. Lets be honest, who wouldn't want to see him fight Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez, Dos Santos etc.

You can't stop the Brock guys.

Carwin is stepping into the Broctogon and is going down hard

etc

Brocks chin hasn't been fully tested, which is a concern and Carwin has a cruise missile for a right hand.

Carwin is a decent wrestler and has massive power, Brock is an amazing wrestler and has massive power.

I'm calling it for Brock, 2 Round KO

The rest of the card looks a bit pants tbh.

Carwin, Akiyama, Brown, Soszynski, Sotiropoulos.

Lytle/Brown for fight of the night.

The rest of the card isn't pants, the Lytle Brown fight will be brilliant, Soszynski/Bonnar part 2 should be good and I'm looking forward to George fighting, Kurt's on a streak and will give him a good test.

Sotiropoulos looked awesome last time out, im very excited to see him fight, more than brock. Ive heard brock looks alot different body wise, will be interesting to see, Leben will get fucked up-hes a a B rate fighter, being tough is his best attribute.

Is the UFC the be all and end all? Whenever I watch it these days the undercard is mostly rubbish, the main event is people who appear to have been around for years and years (like Chuck, Wanderlei etc), and White protecting the 'names' by feeding them dogs to fight for ages. Massive generalisation but whenever I dip into UFC recently this is what it looks like. God I miss Pride, when that was in its heyday it was miles and miles better than UFC.

Is Dream still going?

Is the UFC the be all and end all? Whenever I watch it these days the undercard is mostly rubbish, the main event is people who appear to have been around for years and years (like Chuck, Wanderlei etc), and White protecting the 'names' by feeding them dogs to fight for ages. Massive generalisation but whenever I dip into UFC recently this is what it looks like. God I miss Pride, when that was in its heyday it was miles and miles better than UFC.

Is Dream still going?

Yeah man, Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem is headlining DREAM 15 against Ricco Rodriguez i think?

Really great UFC last night. Also as much as I like Lesnar it was good to see that a guy can challenge him, I was worried Carwin was gonna finish him in round 1. Shane Carwin is one tough fucker though, a rematch deffo needs to be on the cards.

The main event was an entertaining bout, although it did reignite some of my frustrations with some of the more 'excitable' ground and pound artists.

Most of Carwin's shots were sloppy arm punches, so it's pretty amazing that he managed to punch himself out by throwing them...I supposed training wasn't high on the agenda. Being a big boxing fan too, I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't have, objectively, a glass jaw to be in serious trouble after taking them either. They just didn't have an awful lot of clout, though obviously being a big MMA puncher is very different to being a big puncher in boxing where the focus is very different, but even with that discrepancy if he'd just picked his shots more carefully he could have done much more damage with far fewer punches. He should have had Lesnar out of there but ended up doing more damage to his own tiny gas tank.