Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

Hopefully not BKFC, he's better than that. 

I was glad to see someone taking a stand against the current race to the bottom in combat sports (or 'recycling of fighters' as the Florida Commision nicely summed it up as) by denying licences, in this case Melvin Guillard in BKFC - 14 fights without a win, I don't know who watches this shit but the poor bugger doesn't need any more punishment. 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/01/bkfc-melvin-guillard-florida-state-athletic-commission-denied

Ah that’s a shame. There’s a few fighters coming out with, how’s best to say it, ‘uninformed’ views.

Alternatively, this pandemic making people cray cray.

Even if someone believes something weird or stupid why not just keep it to yourself or be non-commital? Plenty of other stuff to talk about. Julianna wants to  commentate for espn/ufc, no chance they touch her now I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

So Izzy v Whittaker 2 which should be great. Lewis b Tuivasa which could be great or dire with two power punchers. Cannonier v Brunson potential title eliminator , with a good performance. Plus, Roxy Modafferi is at her retirement fight, she's been around so long and deserves a ton of respect, also she's a massive nerd.

Roxy is retiring?! Oh that’s a shame, despite her limited skillset have enjoyed her earnestness and dedication towards striving to improve. She was never destined to be great but her humility is heartwarming, as is her goofiness.

Could Izzy get complacent for this one? He doesn’t strike me as the sort but if Whittaker is fully fit he should at least give Adesanya plenty to think about. One of those where I like both fighters so may the best man on the night win.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Roxy is retiring?! Oh that’s a shame, despite her limited skillset have enjoyed her earnestness and dedication towards striving to improve. She was never destined to be great but her humility is heartwarming, as is her goofiness.

When she beat Maycee Barbar I was so happy for Roxy was way overlooked.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Could Izzy get complacent for this one? He doesn’t strike me as the sort but if Whittaker is fully fit he should at least give Adesanya plenty to think about. One of those where I like both fighters so may the best man on the night win.

I like both guys too, Whittaker a good example of going up a weight class successfully.

I'm not sure about Izzy being  complacent, it's a risk for sure ala Rockhold and we've seen it so many times when someone e thinks they're unbeatable is when they get beat.

Gutsy performance from Whittaker but don’t think he ever had Adesanya in any real trouble. Had it 49-46.

Must be incredibly frustrating knowing you’re second-best and unlikely to change that as long as Adesanya is around. And Adesanya isn’t going anywhere for a long while.

Yeah I think after the knockdown in R1, Izzy was in cruise control. When Whittaker pushed him or was aggressive things happened, ithink Whittaker will run this one.

Crazy co-main! Tuivasa is for real, he took some heavy shots and staying composed then putting Lewis away like he did was great stuff. Sucks fir Lewis to lose in Houston again, but he'll be back.

Brunson v Cannonier was mental, Brunson was out on his feet almost all of R2, he wasn't the same fighter at all after almost finishing Jared.

48 minutes ago, McFly said:

Yeah, not really playing out is it?

Was a comical looking KO too. 

What’s worse, just seen his Instagram story, he’s basically saying he’s okay… and John Kavanagh is in the background mugging with a bottle of Proper 12.

Kavanagh won the lottery the day McGregor walked into his gym.

1 hour ago, glb said:

What’s worse, just seen his Instagram story, he’s basically saying he’s okay… and John Kavanagh is in the background mugging with a bottle of Proper 12.

Kavanagh won the lottery the day McGregor walked into his gym.

Seems reminiscent of Ronda and Edmund.

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Seems reminiscent of Ronda and Edmund.

Oh yeah. The corner cam for her defeat to Nunes was almost as great as the fight itself.

See that Masividal Covington is headlining the next PPV. That’s a tough one to root for… can they both lose via KO?!

(Covington should dominate Masvidal, at least the build-up will be fun)

29 minutes ago, glb said:

Oh yeah. The corner cam for her defeat to Nunes was almost as great as the fight itself.

See that Masividal Covington is headlining the next PPV. That’s a tough one to root for… can they both lose via KO?!

(Covington should dominate Masvidal, at least the build-up will be fun)

They used to be best mates and lived together. I think their "beef" is all an act and post fight they will be hugging each other.

57 minutes ago, Orion said:

They used to be best mates and lived together. I think their "beef" is all an act and post fight they will be hugging each other.

Knew they were at ATT together but not that close. 

Quick shout to Lorenzo and Fraser (16year old) from Aberdeen Combat Centre who won their fights yesterday

1 hour ago, Orion said:

More than likely but the initial trash talking has at least been lively.

They are both dickheads and being former friends, they probably know what buttons to push if they have fallen out for real. I just suspect they cooked it up to make some money and get a main event.

Both are fucking full on Trump fanboys too. It will probably be a decent fight and the under card is good. Its like two bad guys wresting in WWE though, not much to root for as glb said.

9 minutes ago, Stevie said:

This place is starting to sound like P.F Changs. Or maybe not, I heard it both ways. 

I understand this reference. That place has its moments but will get the banhammer eventually. I’m dying at the recent ‘Trugg wawlk’ stuff bapa. Axe jay etc. 

Depressingly inevitable end for Bobby Green. Talk about being thrown to the wolves. That card was paper thin too, not sure why I bothered watching. 

Mousasi looked good on Friday and it was nice to see MMA on terrestrial TV again. I know Bellator has been on 5 before but a proper BBC channel felt like a big step. 

On 20/02/2022 at 19:20, Orion said:

Probably this, but you can't blame the UFC for chucking everything behind it, they are talking a good game at least. When was the last even vaguely legit grudge match in MMA? I can only really think of a few in the modern era, Khabib/McGregor, Jones/DC, Jones/Rashad and they all ended up being rather one sided affairs. 

1 hour ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Probably this, but you can't blame the UFC for chucking everything behind it, they are talking a good game at least. When was the last even vaguely legit grudge match in MMA? I can only really think of a few in the modern era, Khabib/McGregor, Jones/DC, Jones/Rashad and they all ended up being rather one sided affairs. 

There's still been quite a few. Just recently I'd imagine Covington/Usman and Masvidal/Edwards probably hate each other more tbh. With Conor you can add in Diaz and Aldo. Then you got Dillashaw Vs Garbrandt. Rousey Vs Tate. Cruz Vs Faber. Anderson Vs Sonnen. Diaz Vs Mayhem. Lesner Vs Mir. If we go back further Tito Ortiz had ugly feuds with both Shamrock brothers and Liddell.

Rampage Vs Rashad led to probably the maddest TUF season with the two going at it the whole time. Rampage and Wanderlai didn't exactly get on very well. Neither did Wanderlai and Sonnen either lol.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more. There's been whole teams at war with each other.