IGNORED

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

I like Julianna Pena but man alive watching her drill her stand up on the first Embedded for this weekend’s card was tough.

Nunes is going to light her up like a Christmas tree, snap the tree in half and set fire to the tree.

It almost feels pointless having Nunes fight, but we've seen it countless times that anything can happen.

I really like both guys in the main event, but edging towards Olivieira (£5 on sub in 2nd).

Kai-Kara France v Garbrandt is very interesting too, and I'm going with France in that one. Haven't seen the weigh ins but Cody didn't have much to lose surely? (Just watched it and Cody looked OK, France looked bit peaky I'd say.)

Yeah I’ve got Oliveira and France on my accumulator.

Surprised Dustin is a fairly strong favourite. He’s very good but Oliveira is on a tear. Should be a great title fight, and glad it will be in a Vegas arena not the weird UFC warehouse.

On 09/12/2021 at 21:50, glb said:

I like Julianna Pena but man alive watching her drill her stand up on the first Embedded for this weekend’s card was tough.

Nunes is going to light her up like a Christmas tree, snap the tree in half and set fire to the tree.

I know nothing.

Wow.

What a cracking card. 

Nunes is the female GOAT and 9 times out of 10 I think beats Pena. Dropping her guard and getting into a slugfest was just about the stupidest move possible though. WTF was she thinking ? If her ego thought she was unbeatable and could get away with that, well hopefully she learned her lesson.

Very happy for Do Bronx! Always fun watching Cody Garbrandt get fucked up too.

Sorry I was not trying to take the win away from her. I've just never seen Nunes fight so stupid before. 

Its not like she has never fought a decent jab before. Holm, Shevchenko and Cyborg have nice ones too.

She wins first round easy then its like she decided to totally give up on defence and just trade hands like she can't be hurt. It was fucking crazy. 

Obviously shocked as anyone, but really surprised at how Pena bit down on her gumshield and ate big shots in order to execute a gameplan. Gutsy as hell, so fair play to her.

The damage to her eye suggests that round was all or nothing for her. If Nunes got to the corner I think she’d have been calmed down and steered back on track. But she’s been so dominant, and run through so many fighters that she may well have let ego take over and thought a few big shots would crumble Pena. They didn’t, and Nunes suddenly looked lost.

Glad to have seen it live as missed Holm beating Rousey. This isn’t quite as seismic but what a moment.

Oliveira did well to ride out the first round and looked great thereafter. Not sure why DC was raving about Poirier’s

power though; Diamond has always been a volume puncher and hasn’t had a KO (rather than TKO) since UFC 199. No doubt McGregor will be on Poirier’s social media angling for a rematch if he hasn’t been already. Oliveira Gaethje should be wild at least.

Was available on catch-up through Sky about tea-time. Great card top to bottom. Great performance from Oliviera and Pena, whose eye looked fucked as @glbsays I dunno how she would have got on in the latter stages. Surely be a rematch coming up. Thought Kai-Kara looked great, are they doing a 3rd Moreno/Figureido? If so not sure why, France should be next.

• 1 month later...

Chikadze Vs Kattar then! Great fight. Mad to think Kattar was Holloway's punching bag not long ago, he looked really good. 

I'm really getting bored of the Apex events though. The few in attendance did their best to generate an atmosphere but it's just not the same, a barn burner like that deserves a full house. 

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Chikadze Vs Kattar then! Great fight. Mad to think Kattar was Holloway's punching bag not long ago, he looked really good. 

He's gone up loads in my estimation, not just a plodding punch bag,  no rushing in to prove himself just a great fight. The timing on a spinning elbow he landed a couple of times was spot on.

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I'm really getting bored of the Apex events though. The few in attendance did their best to generate an atmosphere but it's just not the same, a barn burner like that deserves a full house. 

It's almost a waste of a great fight when it in the Apex.

Can't wait for this weekend :omg:

Gang and Moreno ftw

So it's the heavyweights and the flyweight tonight, pretty I know which will be more entertaining of the two...

Picking Gane to win by decision, and Figureido leading to a 4th fight with those two.

Ngannou is now out of contract right ?

He is talking about boxing Tyson Fury who seems up for it. He has like no chance of winning that but reigning UFC Champion carries some weight and will help sell some seats. Professional manbaby Dana White must be mega pissed lol. Hope Ngannou gets either a mega boxing payday or the UFC begging him to come back.   

3 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

Is it wrong that I was routing for Ngannou solely for the reason of sticking it to Dana, it's wrong isn't it.

Looking about online I think loads of people were thinking the same thing. The UFC really needs to fire the likes of White and Rogan into the sea.

15 hours ago, bobontheway said:

Champion’s clause means he has another fight. I think he can sit on the sidelines for a year though to get out of it. 

I thought Francis would maybe lose on purpose to avoid his contract, but no. Considering his knee injuries, it was very impressive he even fought, let alone won. Game is just too conservative at this point I feel, needs to far more aggressive.

Aspinall vs Volkov could be great fight and winner could maybe geta title shot I reckon, Aspinall has looked brilliant so far bit Volkov is a real test. Maybe a eliminator with Stipe if he wants it.

I assume there will be a 4th Moreno v Figureido fight? Super close yet again, but probably went right way. Davideson probably would have finished Moreno with that choke after the knockdown if there was 20s more left. Would love to see both guys at 135lbs in the future, more so Figureido as he's so big, maybe even 145lbs?

Perriera and the Portugese guy had a good scrap, and Nurmagomedov  subbing Stammam so quick was legit.

Ngannou’s stock will likely never be higher and he got a relatively meagre $600k for retaining his crown. That is a laughable amount for the heavyweight champion of the ‘leading’ MMA promotion.

He’d probably make ten times that doing an exhibition bout with, oh I don’t know, a 55 year-old Mike Tyson.

Seeing Whittaker flying economy from NZ to the US while he was champion underlined how little the promotion cares about its fighters. Surely as a promoter you’d spring the extra few k to bump him up to business to help him be as rested as possible before a title fight being screened to millions?

Seen UFC 270 did 200k in buys, so guess White would dismiss raising pay anyway basis on the lack of draw.

The 10-12k paychecks are rotten. Over a 6-8 week camp, plus expenses for coaches, nutrition, travel etc imagine most fighters on that are left with a pretty small final purse.