IGNORED

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

If Colby had a fight I  the recent past I'd be more confident he could win. i can see it going either way cos Usman seems a bit more emotional this time which is unlike him. 

I think Zhang is gonna win this time and then go up to fight Valentina.

As for unsavoury Rogan, I wonder if its when he started with the trt and high and whatever else that he's become how he is? Or the constant media Bellshill doesn't help.

I hope its not DC on comes tonight as him and Joe, seem to forget they arent alone. Felder, Anik and Rogan are my fave trio, bring back Jommy Smith too ffs

Yeah, glad I stayed up for that one. Felt Zhang rather gave that one away and allowed Rose back in when she was looking good to regain the strap. Had Rose’s leg chewed up, then just fizzled out. Not sure about the 49-46 either but welcome to judging.

Similarly Usman looked a little more uncomfortable in the Championship rounds than the early exchanges suggested he might.

Speaks to the grit of both Namajunas and Covington. And Gaethje Chandler was a madness.

Well that was the kind of card that gets you interested again. Stacked to the gills, and every fight delivered.

But it's hard to know where any of the main card stories go from here - I suppose it feels like his defensive wrestling can handle Oliveira better than a Khabib, but a man who blocks so many punches with his face probably shouldn't be champ.

It's a bit of a moot point but the discussion of whether Colby got a takedown on Usman or not.

Officially he did not despite it seemingly so to me and the commentators. Per ufc (not mma in general tho) rules Colby didn't "didn't maintain control for an appreciable amount of time". Under ncaa rules he scored a takedown.

However, Chandler against Gaethje was counted as scoring takedown after his slam even though Gaethje was never held and wound up on Chandlers back. 

14 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Seems like plenty of contenders lining up to fight Edwards (Chimaev, Belal, Burns) but Leon wants to wait for the title shot. In theory it makes sense as Usman has gone through most other contenders twice but I can see Dana making life difficult for him.

Nick Diaz has volunteered to step in. It might be good for Leon to get some cage time/money against an opponent he would beat handily you'd think.

Agreed. Edwards is good, and he obviously can’t help a withdrawal by his opponent, but taking a replacement may well stand him in better stead with Uncle Dana in terms of getting that title shot he craves.

Doubt Usman fights again before March anyway, as he’s spoken of spending time with his daughter / family, so their schedules would still line up.

Beating both Diaz brothers at least raises Edwards’ profile, in terms of being a viable headliner.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, McFly said:

Kevin Lee has been booted from the ufc. Been up and mostly, down last 3 years so but I'm still surprised. His commuting suicide really upset him, as it would.

There’s been a few releases this week, with Germaine de Randamie the other notable name to leave.

Lee has a decent record but still feels like he’s not fully realised his potential (understandable given some of the events in his personal life). Assume Bellator or ONE will sign him once his drug suspension is up in February, he’s certainly got a skillset that would put him at the upper end of both their rosters.

Bellator not interested in Lee, surprisingly. Personally I've always thought he was a little overrated and easily a rung below the top tier but he would be a solid addition for them.

Finally got round to watching all of this weekend's action, the whole of the UFC main card was great. Still loving Aldo's resurgence and the Fiziev and Guida finishes were beautiful. Pettis Jr looked very good in Bellator too, would recommend watching the main event on iPlayer if you haven't already. 

Yeah I'd have thought, Lee was ripe for Bellator.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/12/9/22825695/cormier-confronts-cruz-for-blatant-mistrust-reveals-paying-analyst-to-do-research-for-him

I see Dominick Cruz has criticised DC for his commentary, saying he doesn't do any work beforehand and just turns up and that Cruz mutes his microphone when he's commentating. I doubt they'll be sitting next to eachother anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, McFly said:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/12/9/22825695/cormier-confronts-cruz-for-blatant-mistrust-reveals-paying-analyst-to-do-research-for-him

I see Dominick Cruz has criticised DC for his commentary, saying he doesn't do any work beforehand and just turns up and that Cruz mutes his microphone when he's commentating. I doubt they'll be sitting next to eachother anytime soon. 

In fairness, they had quite a fun and open discussion about that on DC's youtube channel with a little cameo from Bisping:

I think it's funny. Cruz isn't perfect, he's made some daft calls over the years but he does at least put the effort in.

On the commentary note I saw a Twitter post the other day (mmajunkie I think) referring to Anik, DC and Rogan as 'the A team'. Please!