IGNORED

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

Can't wait for tomorrow's card, which being on at 7pm gmt is a boost. 

Both title fights are official after weigh-in and Jingliang v Chimaev is on after some towel shenanigans. Chimaera looked fucked after his 2nd weigh-in, sure to have an effect. Makachev v Hooker should be a banger OMG!

Yeah, it's a great card. Petroski Vs. Hu - thought Petroski was gonna gas.

Great time for these fights!

Think Yan Vs. Sandhagen's the fight of the night tbh. Sandhagen's mobility is mad. Like Yan's boxer style, decent power - expect some body work might slow Cory down a bit. I'm 60/40 Sandhagen going in.

Expecting heavy leather in the main - wonder if Glover wants to stand and bang with Jan.

Fuck me, Hooker and Makachev, as well. Awesome card. And 268 next week. And Plant Vs. Canelo 🤯. Pretty bad ass heavyweight Croatian boxer fighting on the UK circuit tonight, too.

4 hours ago, McFly said:

Awesome between Yan and Sandhagen.

Hide contents

Glovers the champ! Jan looked really rocked or injured maybe? He seemed to go belly down fairly easy

I was thinking broken jaw maybe. 

Good night for the guys picking up where Khabib left off.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

I was thinking broken jaw maybe. 

That's possible, as soon as Glover went near his jaw/neck area he tapped. It was barely in position compared to say what Chimaev had on Jingliang.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Good night for the guys picking up where Khabib left off.

That was a textbook kimura from Makachev on Hooker, whom I feel sorry for after two quick losses by ko and sub. What these grappler types do seems so straight forward but it's so well done it's almost  unstoppable. 

Absolutely delighted for Glover. When my mate and I had a podcast, we said three years ago that in a world without Jon Jones, that Glover could hold the belt because the division is so thin. Delighted to see it. 

Definitely looked like Jan was hurt in some way. 

All aboard the Chimaev train. Knew he was good, but that performance was incredible. His previous wins were good performances but hard to guage the level. 

I love how MMA theory has always been that a good grounding in college or olympic style wrestling is essential will give you a dominant base to start from, but there seems to be this upswell of talent coming thru doing this Khabib/Dagestan relentless wrestling with the whole leg flattening thing going on too - I don't even know if it's a 'thing', is it Sambo, or some Soviet style or just a specific gym thing like a Kronk fighter or a Brendan Ingle pitter patter merchant ?

59 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I love how MMA theory has always been that a good grounding in college or olympic style wrestling is essential will give you a dominant base to start from, but there seems to be this upswell of talent coming thru doing this Khabib/Dagestan relentless wrestling with the whole leg flattening thing going on too - I don't even know if it's a 'thing', is it Sambo, or some Soviet style or just a specific gym thing like a Kronk fighter or a Brendan Ingle pitter patter merchant ?

It seems to be more the ex-ussr or Arabic places that do it or introduced it to mainstream mma. Great way to reduce, even eliminate being able to escape or stand up. Plus these Russian types all go for a finish and not just control like  many US wrestlers do. Last weeks co-main iirc one guy dominated on the ground but did fuck all with it, and almost got beat.

17 minutes ago, Corrogate said:

Bloody Sambo, ennit. Fedor was a Sambo guy, no? Dan Henderson did put him out quite brutally, mind.

Apparently not, been doing some googling and people like Ben Askren think its got a sambo base but is evolved way beyond that into something designed to be effective in MMA.

12 minutes ago, McFly said:

It seems to be more the ex-ussr or Arabic places that do it or introduced it to mainstream mma. Great way to reduce, even eliminate being able to escape or stand up. Plus these Russian types all go for a finish and not just control like  many US wrestlers do. Last weeks co-main iirc one guy dominated on the ground but did fuck all with it, and almost got beat.

yeah, it's the relentless and purpose driven nature of it.

It's not just passing round at the back with no aim to attack, it's all about bettering position, utterly dominating an opponent and looking for the finish

10 hours ago, Corrogate said:

Speaking of Fedor - and it's not really relevant but there's a 9 minute highlight reel of him with this fucking sick tune, and just look at this beautiful, fucking beautiful bit of Judo - against one of the Nogueira's.

What a fucking sport.

The way he punches is kinda unique. Those bodysuits against Big Daddy, the Fujita comeback and the bloody Randleman suplex is proper Street fighter shit.

I'll never get tired of watching Fedor with his odd punching angles and the way he can slip a grapple. He never looks technically brilliant until you realise how effective it has been for the past two decades. 

That Randleman suplex should have finished Fedor's career, not just that fight! Also I remember watching that Crocop fight back in the day, you don't get many fights like that. I really miss the old PRIDE FC days when most people had just one or two disciplines to their name.

The whole production, the drummers, the cherry blossoms the bloody anime intro! Pride blew my mind when I first say the MWGP with Chuck getting demolished in it. A friend at work got the ring announcer woman to record his wedding vow renewal for him :omg:

God he'd be insufferable. Can't see it happening though. I can't believe he's still sticking with this stupid gimmick though, does my head in. Marty Fakenewsman, Cumshot Chimaev etc. Hilarious.

Anyway, stacked card again this weekend. I'm weirdly excited for Iaquinta vs Green beside the more obvious ones. 

I'm actually a Colby fan. He's gritty as fuck - his pressure is absolutely insane. But Kamaru's got better, like, since that fight he's shown more, he's got better. If he beats Usman I'll be surprised but I don't doubt his ability. But Usman's momentum at the minute is crazy. A few more title defences and you can call him the best UFC welterweight of all time. 

Hope Weili Vs Rose is a bit more competitive. The way Rose hops in and out though, I can see her lighting her up at will, but Zhang's strong, fucking fierce. If it goes a few it's gonna be a brilliant contest.

They're opening the card with Gaethje Vs. Chandler. I think theoretically Chandler should win but, man, I'm such a huge Gaethje fan at this point I'll be gutted if he doesn't - he just needs to swarm him and put the volume on him. Find me someone who's become a bigger fucking star in lesser time than Justin Gaethje. Top card.

6 hours ago, Corrogate said:

is he? I know he talks shit but can’t remember him saying anything overtly racist.

After his fight with Maia in 2018 he called all Brazilian people "filthy animals" and the whole country a "dump". That led to his fight outside the cage with Werdum who he had called a "faggot". 

He followed that up with this -

“F*ck Brazil. F*ck Fabricio Werdum. Little b*tch ass. “F*ck Brazil. A bunch of filthy animals. And they wonder why they get talked to like that. Because they’re a bunch of animals.”

Press conference for Usman fight -

"Who did you get a call from?" Covington asked fellow fighter Kamaru Usman, who was born in Nigeria, shortly after. "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?"

Colby's thoughts on BLM and Tyron Woodly -In a news conference after his victory Saturday night, Covington called Black Lives Matter “a complete sham. It’s a joke. They’re taking these people that are complete terrorists. They’re taking these people that are criminals. These aren’t people that are hard-working Americans, blue-collar Americans. These are bad people. They’re criminals.

“He’s a communist,” Covington said. “He’s a Marxist. He stands for criminals. He hates America, and that’s why he got broke tonight.”

How he is more American than Usman  - 

"How is he more American than me? My family has served in the Korean War, in the Vietnam War, my family has shed blood for that flag, for the red, white and blue of America. What has his family ever done for America besides serve in the Federal penitentiary?”

All this said in his stupid MAGA hat with a daft grin on his face. If you listen to him in any interview talk about Usman, it's a surprise he hasn't flat out called him the N word by now.

Unfortunately, a fair few fighters on the UFC roster are pretty unsavoury characters, not to mention Dana White and Joe Rogan, who seems to have regressed into a kettlebell heaving simpleton in the last few years.

Doesn’t excuse Covington, and hopefully Usman will rearrange his jawline again in a few hours. Seeing dickheads like McGregor and Masvidal getting sparked will pale against Colby having to suck up another loss.