Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

Nick's already doing his 'I should be fighting for the title instead' schtick. Well a) you haven't won in 10 years and b) you can't reach 170lb, so Usman seems a big ask. 

If he can't beat Lawler then he really won't have a leg to stand on. This isn't some technical striker who will pepper him with jabs from a few feet away, Robbie will go toe to toe with him - and it will be extra sweet if he loses. 

It was a very entertaining event, but with horrendous commentary.

Hearing them create mythology around Diaz and ignore Lawler's work. Seeing them talk about T-City's subs being in 'tight' when they visibly weren't. 

I know it's their job to create hype, but it just feels like watching with someone who doesn't know the sport well.

Didn't think the commentary was too bad, i really like Felder . DC was better without Joe, o think they forget its not just them two watching.

Superb main event, very impressed with Volkanovski. The subs from Ortega were locked up but not tight as Ortega was too tired, though they still would had some people tapping

Diaz looked so slow and that's that. Two brothers who could have been huge stars but couldn't get out of their own way.

24 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I didn't know the Nick Diaz was fighting, was the fight any good?.

Not really. It was a high volume close quarters fight but Diaz was very slow. He basically quit rather than take the battering he knew was coming. Hopefully thats the last we see of him. 

10 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Not really. It was a high volume close quarters fight but Diaz was very slow. He basically quit rather than take the battering he knew was coming. Hopefully thats the last we see of him. 

I expected Diaz to lose but not to quit. Lawler has been competing and fighting killers the entire time Diaz was chilling smoking weed. Still, I do part of me is sad for him. 

On 25/09/2021 at 11:57, McFly said:

Jones arrested again. But apparently negotiations are going well for his HW debut :unsure:

Even though I haven't watched MMA for a while, things are still the same. Good ole Jones.

On 26/09/2021 at 10:43, Stoppy2000 said:

Also didn't seem fully with it in his post fight interview.

I still have no fucking idea what he was talking about. When he said 'i don't know what I'm doing here' before the fight it seemed he meant that Lawler was below him, but post-fight he was almost trying to imply that the fight was made without his knowledge.

The guy is such a mug, I can't stand him or his punching bag brother. Would have loved to see him try to lie down or show his arse to Lawler like he has done in the past when he deems people aren't fighting up to his lofty standards. 

When you think of all the people who've been stripped Sterling should be too? Get Sandhagen in to fight Yan ASAP. Might be too close for the date that's coming up, but hopefully not. 

As long as Yan can get revenge at some point I think he'd be ok with it.

Yan doesn't deserve revenge for cheating. Which he did.

Sterling's opening some much-needed conversations about fighter wellbeing while he's got the spotlight to be listened to. He can be very cocky considering how he got the belt, but Yan isn't a hero in search of revenge.

I hope Sterling (eventually) wraps Yan up. Though I don't know how likely that is.

Yeah he won it because Yan threw a completely illegal shot. That is not the poor guys fault. Its Yan's. 

There is all kinds of stupid hot takes and horrible comments about Sterling on Twitter and social media atm. Its totally fucked up.

Great fight it was too. I'm not normally a fan of 5 rounds for 5 rounds' sake, but that definitely could have gone for longer and been a stone cold classic. Score cards were a bit iffy with the home bias, I had it for Lima ... shades of Till / Wonderboy a few years back. 

The biggest factor for me was that MVP scored 3 knockdown and was a bit more active standing. Lima got the takedown as you'd expected  ut didn't really do much at all with it. How a guy shaped like MVP doesn't have a killer guard or at least a triangle or armbar is a mystery.

Ufc card wasn't up too much, main event was dull which I didn't expect from Santos and Walker. Crazy headclash in the Holland/Daukaus match.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, McFly said:

Pretty guff ufc card tonight. But there's a double header championship with Bellator aswell as Benson Henderson fighting, with a watch on BBC iplayer for me

Christ. The UFC card looks like the organisation only remembered they had to put a card on three days ago.

Will probably have 10 KOs and two FOTY contenders.

Not really followed MMA for about 5 years, interesting to see Kirill Sidelnikov on the card. I remember he was supposed to be the new Fedor (amongst many others) back in the M-1 days. Checking out his record it seems he hasn't been all that active since M-1.

Yep. It's shown live initially (not sure what time tonight's is) and then appears shortly after on-demand, both as one long 4hr-ish video and also separate ones per fight - the latter is very handy and saves faffing about fast forwarding etc, especially if you don't want to watch all of the prelims.