Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

In the prelims they were discussing the Jake Paul chants DC said "I'll mess that guy up Joe, if he comes over, I don't play around like that". So guessing he is not much of Paul fan. Maybe Paul has said something about him too, which is entirely possible.

Talking of saying stupid stuff. Masvidal before the fight “The first thing being, he hits, not hard at all. He’s one of the softest hitters I’ve ever been in front of, period,” Masvidal said at UFC Countdown. “God didn’t bless him with that manliness where he can hurt another man with his fists. It must suck to live that."

spacer.png

Yeah I do love an old fashioned slow motion sweat/saliva spray after a whiplash KO like that. 

Genuinely didn't know that was Masvidal's first KO loss. Presumably Covington or Edwards next for him - the build up to either will be carnage. 

It rankles how Masvidal made more from being a fucking arsehole than from being a capable fighter. He did pick up good wins, but nobody really care who Darren Till was - it was all in the UFC's presentation.

But then you remember that he talks and talks and talks and, over the course of two fights, did about as much damage to Usman as a training dummy.

Best of luck to Weidman, I hope he makes the right choices for himself. I think Rose Namajunas might be an arsehole, and the racist Florida crowd played into that.

In other news, Usman is already knocking on the door of GOAT territory. And Jon Jones has apparently ditched his management. Or they've ditched him. Fuck knows what that means for anything at this stage.

11 hours ago, schmojo said:

It rankles how Masvidal made more from being a fucking arsehole than from being a capable fighter.

Yeah the myth that was born on that night by beating the flakey and overhyped Till and then the 'three piece and soda' incident with Edwards has been shown up to be exactly that. He's entertaining but bang average, much like his 'BMF' bedfellow Nate Diaz. 

• 2 weeks later...

No prizes for guessing the attack lines for McGregor's trilogy match with Poirier

He must have been incredibly well managed to leverage UFC fame into this much out of cage income - I don't know who the brains behind him are, I know he talks a noisy game himself but it's not that simple.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2021/05/12/the-worlds-10-highest-paid-athletes-conor-mcgregor-leads-a-group-of-sports-stars-unfazed-by-the-pandemic/

That's pretty staggering. Mostly due to his whisky brand sale but still, he's obviously made wise decisions. Whether that's his own or with advice, it's obviously paying off over and over, so we'll done him. Plenty of athletes could look his way for guidance, maybe that's the next step? Make a financial advice company.

Another ufc another very loud broken limb, Jacare/Muniz.

Main card first and last fights were awesome rest were so-so.

I'm a huge Ferguson fan, but he looked so erratic and emaciated. How he didn't tap to the heel hook I don't know. Dariush had a weird call out too

I think it’s probably time for Tony to hang his gloves up. He’s had a hall of fame career but he doesn’t want to end up being the big name on the way down that younger, fresher fighters on the way up are collecting on their resume.  

Midweek lull time... just been on a YouTube tangent avoiding work, I had no idea UFC still made the 'face the pain' montages and showed them at the arena.

I know it's not for everyone (and it's all very Tapout / just bleed etc) and isn't in the image of the 'modern' UFC but it still gets me a hell of a lot more pumped than Ron Perlman's half arsed promos.

• 2 weeks later...

He parlayed a so-so ufc career into a big pair of podcasts, media work and whatever else he does. Obviously his friendship with Rogan helped a bit but still hats off to him for that, regardless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big night of fights tonight, really looking forward to Diaz v Edwards. Pretty sure Edwards will win but who knows with Nate? Both title fights are very close but I expect Izzy and Figueredo to keep the belts. Despite being a title eliminator and being buried mid prelims I think Calderón can win but she's choked before when she should have beat Chakigian and didn't. Winner will get crushed by Valentina :wub: anyway

It would have been ludicrous if Diaz had won that, some it was verging on embarrassing. Edwards looked great in every area, super composed.

I had tears in my eyes, watching Moreno win and all the people cheering. Shows he is a good guy, Figuiredo handled it with pure class, but he didn't look the same fighter. Weight cut issue?

Paul Craig's, armbar was fucking ace, ridiculous late stoppage

Yeah Figeuiredo had a bad cut apparently. Moreno alluded to it in the post fight press stuff. I genuinely thought Moreno would lose easily but it shows what good preparation can do. Really pleased for him too.

So glad Diaz didn't win. I still can't stand the way he's been hyped since the first McGregor fight, he's still the same mid-card journeyman he's always been. He's entertaining I guess, in the same way Diego Sanchez or Cowboy Cerrone are/were, but the rimming he gets from the likes of Helwani (pre and post-fight) makes me want to puke.

https://www.espn.co.uk/mma/story/_/id/31622553/ufc-263-leon-edwards-won-fight-nathan-diaz-won-night

Fucking state of that.

It is ridiculous but its true. For a bunch of morons Nate "Won the fight" because he finished really strong. The Diaz brothers peddle that shit. You won out striking them with jabs or leg kicks "Why didn't you fight properly Bro? stand and throw hands till someone gets fucked up".

Take them down and beat the shit out of them the whole fight. "Thats not really fighting, thats some pussy shit!" 

Their fanbase believe all that bollocks too. 

On 13/06/2021 at 11:13, McFly said:

Paul Craig's, armbar was fucking ace, ridiculous late stoppage

I love Paul Craig, where would you put him on British best ever sub fighters ? 

He is constantly subbing UFC level fighters in an age theres not that many all out submission fighters anymore.

41 minutes ago, Orion said:

I love Paul Craig, where would you put him on British best ever sub fighters ? 

He is constantly subbing UFC level fighters in an age theres not that many all out submission fighters anymore.

In terms of ufc/mma I can't think of anyone better, iirc he has most dubs in division history now. And the only to have 2 finishes in last 10s of last round  (I may have made that up but he did it). It's great to see, maybe Vettori should come and train with him? :lol: