Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Oh Ben. He's going to get hurt tonight I fear (although I seriously hope he wrecks Paul). I was a bit worried, then I saw Duke Roufus comment on how Ben's a great striker and ready for this, now I'm super worried. 

This is the oddest sports event I have ever seen. So far we have a strange stoner skit with Snoop Dogg and Urkel as a boxing promoter. Then a strange interview with Snoop, Pete Davidson and Diplo where they spent the whole time talking about banging Pete's mom. Then we just had 20 minutes of the Black Keys. No one has even mentioned boxing yet.

Edit - Pete just made me laugh in hype mode saying this shows how far boxing has fallen and both of these guys are useless.

After 20 minutes of rapper Sweete miming badly we have gone into a Snoop concert with Ice Cube. We have a had five minutes of boxing in 2 hours so far, between a British millionaire and a reggatron artist. This is the future of boxing apparently.

After 10 minutes of new sport "bitch slapping" which is two fat guys with beards taking turns slapping each other as hard as they can whilst Ric Flair refs them, we are now onto music performance number 6, Doja Cat. 

I wish I had gone to bed hours ago but I'm drunk now, want to see how bad this goes.

15 hours ago, MattKB said:

Oh Ben. He's going to get hurt tonight I fear (although I seriously hope he wrecks Paul). I was a bit worried, then I saw Duke Roufus comment on how Ben's a great striker and ready for this, now I'm super worried. 

Not quite but damn. Still, the amount of money he got, in that clip above if you didn't see the Paul bit you'd assume that he won. Loved Askren's intro walk with the cardboard sign.

The commentary was absolutely awful, and as much as he wants to be, it does nothing to help perpetuate Paul as a 'legit' boxer. It's Fight Circus boxing. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09ds2xp/bellator-mma-2021-paul-daley-v-sabah-homasi

If anyone fancies an old school MMA barn burner, you can't go far wrong with this. 

Interesting background to the catchweight too, I did wonder why Daley wasn't in the 170lb rankings but I guess this is why. 

After being hospitalized following a bad weight cut last October, Daley has good reason to want catchweight bouts. He had actually hinted at retirement following this latest fight, though it appears those plans are on hold for the moment. Still, Daley’s future in the sport remains a question mark. “I’ve put on so many great fights with so many great finishes and I just feel I don’t get the respect,” he stated. “I’m 38 years old, do I still want to put myself through this and not get the credit for it? That’s my attitude.”

“If people start giving me the respect, I start appearing on f*cking corn flake boxes and sh*t, doing all the interviews everybody else is doing, then I’ll stay in the game. Otherwise, I’ll take my two fights and I’ll go,” Daley continued. “But I’ve gave a lot to this sport. Entertaining fights, this is another one that people will talk about for a while. Give me my respect, I’ll stay in the game, I’ll give you a few more years. If you don’t, then I’ve gone.”

Asked whether the ability to fight at a catchweight moving forward might be a deciding factor in retiring or not, Daley actually downplayed the idea just a little. “No, because money can change that real quick,” he told Cageside Press. “You pay me more, then I’ll make the weight. Pay me more, I’ll fight 170bs, I’ll have a better camp, I’ll have better people involved. I had a new guy that helped me out with nutrition to get me down to 175lbs, and I thought he did a great job. If I give him time and the opponent’s right and everything else is right, I’m sure he could get me down to 170lbs no problem. It all depends.”

https://cagesidepress.com/2021/04/18/bellator-257-paul-daley-weight/

I can't get rid of this bloody quote box

Yeah that was a good fight, classic back and forth. Gotta admit I was surprised to hear Daley is a bjj black belt now.

Great performance from whittaker too, saved a kinda tedious card.

I'd forgotten about "street gangsta" Masvidal coming out as a huge Trump fan last year. Fuck him. I hope Usman pins him against the cage again for 5 rounds whilst stamping on his feet.

Yes that was brutal, felt for him as he was stretched out.

Crazy win for Rose. Been fun main card this. Having a crowd helps. They have been chanting Fuck Jake Paul at him all night. 

Edit- probably more memorable stuff happening than great fights though.

Well that was pretty much everything I wanted from the main card apart from the awful Weidman incident. Was really looking forward to that bout and was always hoping for a Hall win but definitely not like that. Can’t imagine Weidman has much of a career left now :(

What did you guys think of the crowd being back?  Generally speaking I thought it was better. However, the boos for the non-USA fighters was lame, especially Zhang. I'm glad Rose tried to apologise for her I'll advised comments. 

I think Weidmans leg break is the worst injury I've seen in a sporting event. David Buust, the Coventry player is the only one I can think to equal it, or Iain Hutchison when his leg got ran over in Superbikes. 

Uhh yeah no shit dude. It’s the horrific morbid poetry of it happening to him when he’d been on the other side of one of the most infamous incidents in MMA history that makes it so grimly bizarre. You couldn’t make it up.

I think that’s it for Weidman now as he’s 36 and by the time he recovers from that he’ll be pushing 40. Can’t help but feel that he dined out on his victory over Anderson for a long time but he did have a really weird run of brutal defeats in recent years and could never get going again. I really feel for the guy and that’s a sad way to potentially end a career. Just goes to show that if you check those calf kicks in just the right way your opponent can come off far worse.

Having the crowd back definitely reminded you of what’s been missing in terms of their response to big moments in fights but it was interesting to see a year of events without them. Because you could hear everything so clearly it gave me a newfound understanding and appreciation of the absolutely brutal impacts that the fighters are subject to repeatedly. With that said I’m glad Weidman’s screams of agony last night weren’t echoing around an empty arena.

Usman looking unbeatable right now but the Colby rematch should be a banger if the first was anything to go by.

5 hours ago, McFly said:

What did you guys think of the crowd being back?  Generally speaking I thought it was better. However, the boos for the non-USA fighters was lame, especially Zhang. I'm glad Rose tried to apologise for her I'll advised comments. 

I think Weidmans leg break is the worst injury I've seen in a sporting event. David Buust, the Coventry player is the only one I can think to equal it, or Iain Hutchison when his leg got ran over in Superbikes. 

Although there was some daft "USA, USA" chants, I think the boos were more to do with Rose and Masvidal being really popular and having loads of there fans in. Masvidal was in his home state too. Usman was funny in his interview getting them to boo him then winning them back over. 

As pinhole said having the huge reactions to big moments and replays is cool to have back. As was the constant abuse aimed at Jake Paul, which started in the prelims.