Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Khabib and Tony has found a venue and will occur behind closed doors so says Lord DW. Minimal staff and no crowd and in a gym or warehouse could look seriously cool tho with a gritty neo-noir vibe.

Probably It'll be at the PI or something similar. Apparently Khabib has gone to Russia though "to finish his camp" so maybe its in Russia? Theres more chance of that i reckon, where rules are a bit easier to circumvent.

Dana White sort of being the sports equivalent of Mike Ashley or that Wetherspoons idiot with this - I'm sure he can get some bumper PPV sales for this with everything else off, and he'll argue about the feel good factor being needed by an event, but it seems a bit tone deaf and negligent to be doing it.

I'm sure the fighters and their camps will argue that they can all get paid so its a risk they're willing to take, and the actual risks to the participants and teams may be less damaging than the message it sends about carrying on almost as normal to the wider public in the wider context of things.

Yeah I was thinking similar. With all the leaps MMA has made in recent years to legitimise and clean up, the fact that they are openly planning a pay per view event in the midst of a global pandemic rather goes against that and smacks more of the back-street, anything goes, cockfighting image of old. 

On a selfish level I can't fucking wait. 

12 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Yeah I was thinking similar. With all the leaps MMA has made in recent years to legitimise and clean up, the fact that they are openly planning a pay per view event in the midst of a global pandemic rather goes against that and smacks more of the back-street, anything goes, cockfighting image of old. 

On a selfish level I can't fucking wait. 

Its an incredibly daft and arrogant move by the UFC but I'll be watching too. I'm already missing sport. Tony vs Khabib might even be better with no crowd as you know Khabib will be talking to him during the fight and we will get to hear it. I'd love it if the whole thing had no commentary like TUF fights. 

Fair play to the other Jon Jones for still leaning into the shared name confusion. Actually, sod it, he’s the realest Jon Jones:

Congrats Kebab on getting all these guys on your pod. Whether its hustling or not, take advantage of them all being on lockdown is great work.

• Upvote 1

So Dana is going to be hosting all his fights on a private island like a big crime boss

UFC boss Dana White has “secured” the use of a private island, where he’s hoping all international fighters legally able to be transported there can arrive later this month and get fighting.

White has the island—whose location is still unknown—for two months, and plans to be staging fights there on a weekly basis.

On 05/04/2020 at 20:57, Orion said:

Congrats Kebab on getting all these guys on your pod. Whether its hustling or not, take advantage of them all being on lockdown is great work.

Thanks man! Most of them have been in the works for a while, but Forrest Griffin was definitely just an opportunity due to the lockdown! Hopefully more to come! 

Here's the video of the Forrest Griffin interview for those who didn't fancy a podcast!

On 07/04/2020 at 08:50, Orion said:

Who will survive on Kung Fu Island ???

Dunno but its a decent card.

BT sport are doing a viewers choice of cards tonshow by voting on twitter.

On 07/04/2020 at 08:50, Orion said:

Who will survive on Kung Fu Island ???

Just wait until you see who is stepping in for Khabib.  He's an experienced guy who has organised and fought in martial arts tournaments on private islands before. 

HAN.jpg

This fight isn't happening on the island. It's a native reserve. The island is for international fights apparently. Deal being finalised this week.

Shame Rose is out. Was looking forward to that fight. The same people I have seen say how mentally durable she was during the JJ fights/buildup are the same people who are now saying she's a pussy. Unbelievable. 

I have a feeling Gaethje sleeps Tony.  

30 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

Dana had finally realised that he ain't winning this fight. UFC 249 and all future events cancelled until further notice.

Yeah, Disney (who own ESPN) straight up told him that he can't do it.

The whole enterprise was in rather bad taste I thought. Holding a combat sports event with people throwing each other around a cage when pretty much the entire world is having to practice social distancing seemed kind of perverse to me.

I grudgingly admire his chutzpah for actually managing to almost pull it off in such unprecedented circumstances but it showed an alarming lack of awareness. I also can't help but feel that it would damage the image of the sport, when they've worked so hard to try and move it away from the unsavoury 'Just Bleed' image it had held in the eyes of so many for so long.

(Also had a suspicion that Gaethje would manage to beat Tony somehow and then we'd truly never see the fight we're all still desperately waiting for).

Would LOVE to hear the call from a Disney chief exec putting White in his place. Can imagine it was utterly delicious and a massive 10-8 round.