rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

I read the BMF thing but I thought it was a joke. But they are actually making a belt? Jesus. Presumably there will be another one for 'baddest man on the planet'? It's the equivalent of a TV title in WCW. 

Think UFC has latched on to the viral side of it in a way they couldn’t really with the ‘three piece and a soda’ angle.

Its a stupid novelty, guess it depends if the company plans a one-off fight for it, or if they’re going to lean into the novelty for the long-term, which opens up the chance for much more ridicule. Bruce Buffer announcing the title will be one of the more ludicrous Octagon moments.

As a one-off, think it’s a daft sideshow that might generate a bit of media interest. Would rather Usman Covington was the MSG headliner, although apparently there are major issues with Usman / Dana at the minute.

Brock Lesnar is in talks with Bellator apparently. In other unrelated news, shares in Mexican horse meat have unexpectedly spiked.

Presumably Brock's just trying to mess with Dana again.

Bader/Brock might actually be a pretty competitive fight though. I can't really pick Brock against any HW that's a good all-rounder and anything close to his size.

But good all-rounders are heavyweight are like rocking horse shit.

Brock Vs James Haskell. Book it, Coker!

Been a flurry around Bones Jones the last few days, ranging from a fight announcement to him not fighting again in 2019. Apparently Jan Błachowicz is next fighting Jacare Souza, so there isn’t much else for Jones at LH. Next big thing Jonnie Walker needs at least two more ranked fights before he’s even close to being a legitimate contender, and after clearing out the division who’s to say Jones will stick around LH much longer?

I'm not sure Jones is exactly in it for the challenge anymore. I think he likes being at LHW because he owns the division, is its GOAT, and can ostensibly hold it to ransom while eeking out victories over fighter he'd demolish if he cared to.

HW is much riskier than that.

• Upvote 1

True, although think HW is fairly shallow beyond the top couple of guys too, so to move up now would be to do so

at a less-risky time.

It would probably only be for a money fight with Lesnar though, which personally I think Jones would sleepwalk through. Lesnar is a ridiculous physical specimen but Jones would tie him up like a pretzel.

Gaethje and Cerrone delivered. And Michel Pereira fought again, which is always worth seeing.

Glover/Krylov and the Todd Duffee fights were entertaining enough too. 

Always thought Duffee was a useless lump and that fight confirmed it. Basically took a few crap swings and ducked out at the earliest opportunity - that was never a fight-ending eye poke. 

Main and Pereira / Connolly were brilliant. Pereira is basically a cardio-less Ferguson.

i'm not sure about the Ferguson/Pereira comparison.

MP is a gymnast with a sense of humour, wild capoeira and a ground game that left a bit to be desired. Tony is a diverse, but very functional, striker with a great ground game top and bottom.

Also hard to say what Pereira's cardio is like when he's doing more before the fight starts than plenty of fighters manage in the first two rounds.

Yeah, was it a 6 minute walk-in? Its great hes so relaxed but its possible to be a bit more restrained and save the craziness for before/after the fight. Hes got big potential but you have to win if you do all that stuff and his oppo was a perfect antidote.

I think Pereira could lose two thirds of his fights and still find work wherever he goes. 

He's nowhere near the top ten, but he's still a must watch. If he ever settles down for a 'serious' run, I'll understand it, but I'll probably be a bit disappointed too.

Bellator was fun last night. Absolutely no enhancement to Gallagher's reputation though, that guy was an absolute chump.

MVP also back in form crushing cans, I've got absolutely no idea why Miragliotta deducted a point for his pissing around though. If the guy on the receiving end wants to do something about it he should just fight back.

On 29/09/2019 at 04:11, McFly said:

Rountree got slayed

Didn't get to watch the card but it looked like some good performances. Worth watching? Had high hopes for rountree after his previous fight.

Main card is worth watching id say. I had Rountree pegged to go places now to, but not sure now, maybe got stuck in his new love of Muay Thai.

Respect for that for sure.

As for this weeks 185lb title fight, i reckon Whittaker will win on points. But I really wish he had another fight beforehand so he wasnt coming off such a long break meeting Adesanya. It should be a good fight and it could go either way, i just dont see Izzy KOing Whittaker whom should be able to survive his power if he took a few of  Yoels biggest bombs. An exciting fight is all i really hope for though.

Hooker v Iaquinta should be intereating too and id like Hooker to win decisivley but Al might out-grapple him. Anything but god damn wall 'n' stall. 

Tuivasa will surely, neigh must, beat his oppo who I have no knowledge of. Tai is powerful as hell but pretty damn sloppy and he could easily be finished himself.

I'm a really big Bobby Knuckles fan but I'm really nervous about tonight's fight. On paper I think Whittaker is by far the more rounded fighter and he looks to be in the best shape he's ever been but there's this air around Adesanya and this feeling that he's writing his own script as he goes. I've thought this for a long time that everything seems to be falling into place for him and it almost seems preordained that he's going to ride the wave all the way to the title. Just my pre-fight nerves talking obviously.

Looking forward to it either way as it's been a while since there was a title fight that I was so heavily invested in.

He hates the Bobby Knuckles nickname btw ;)

Think he’s the most underrated champion in the UFC. He’s taken on a murderer’s row on his way to the title and beyond.

Big question for me is whether Adesanya thrives under the pressure of a title fight. Whittaker has been there numerous times, only doubt about him is the length of time he’s been out.

I was thinking it was 2 years or so since Whittaker fought but it was june last year so its not as long as i thought. Its my main concern really if it had been 6 months id pick Robert all day but Adesanya might be able to blitz him quick