rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Forgot this was PPV in the UK...grr.

Poirier is a real live underdog. I'd expect he will have his moments and I think this will go the distance.  Khabib will most likely stack up the rounds to win on points.

Think Poirier's chances come down to how patient he is with the gameplan Mike Brown has cooked up. He's looked fantastic in his last few fights, would be great if he did some early damage to get Khabib's attention. Never really seen Khabib in any kind of adversity, so purely out of interest would be fascinating to see how he might deal with it.

There's been some chat today about Khabib struggling with his cut. Sightings of Paul Felder ordering extra portions of tiramisu to The Eagle's room as of yet unconfirmed.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, skittles said:

One fc event is on now. All muay thai /kickboxing and you can watch it on YouTube. 

Sound, just stuck it on.

Khabib made weight, thankfully rumours were all baseless. Poirier, once again, looks massive for 155.

49 minutes ago, glb said:

Sound, just stuck it on.

Khabib made weight, thankfully rumours were all baseless. Poirier, once again, looks massive for 155.

Are you watching this kickboxing fight! We need more stand up fights like this. Excellent 

I think of anyone is going to stop Khabib at this weight it’s probably DP. If I gambled it wouldn’t be where I put my money though. 

I would expect DP to convincingly handle McGregor if that rematch ever happens, Connor does have a way of winning fights though. 

5 hours ago, skittles said:

Are you watching this kickboxing fight! We need more stand up fights like this. Excellent 

Had to go out after round one :(

Mixed bag for me. I've known Khabib was the 155 GOAT forever, but I've fallen out of love with the horrible man that he is.

I don't think anyone can touch him. I'm never seen wrestling so fierce, or painful. 

I want him to lose, but he's Ivan Drago for real. He has no compassion. Just victory.

War Dustin, but I see him getting chewed.

• Downvote 1

I thought Dustin would be bigger but Khabib is actually a little bit bigger and taller. If Poirier can pressure him and tag him a few, especially to the body who knows what will happen. But hes gotta be aggressive or he will just get wrecked.

Khabib is clearly the favourite by some distance with the bookies yet the majority of Bloody Elbow staff are going for Poirier. Interesting stuff.

I think picking Poirier is more a case of backing the outsider to buy a claim of great insight if the shocking comes off - 'well of course it was always obvious his footwork was kryptonite to a sambo style of Soviet wrestling' blah blah. 

Apart from Jon Jones they all lose eventually in the UFC.

Thought I’d go legit, £5 for the local version of Fight Pass... constant buffering since the prelims started, which means the main card will almost certainly be unwatchable. Shite.

First world problems and all that, just frustrating when no other streaming service we use has issues.

Been a couple of decent knockouts so far. Commentary saying it’s hot in the arena, seen the same on Twitter. Big Perspex roof not the brightest of ideas given it’s been 40C most of the week. Obviously dark now, but would have been an uphill struggle keeping the temp down that could have been avoided with a bit of common sense.

Seen a few people who are in the arena posting sweaty faces and bemoaning the heat.

Even more glad I swerved it, even with dodgy coverage. At least our a/c is working.

All week seen Poirier, and tonight Mike Brown, say things along the lines of preparing for a life defining 25 minutes... wonder if they’re actually planning a whirlwind opening?

Maybe not in Sauna City, but Michael Johnson did have early (minor) success. Well, before his arm got folded the wrong way.

EDIT: :lol: after round one, no whirlwind, just a mauling. Poirier looks like a rabbit in headlights.

Ferguson already training by going over Niagara Falls in a barrel full of vipers.

But really, how do you stop those takedowns? 

Made Poirier look very ordinary - the speed when shooting for the takedowns was very impressive. It did only look like a matter of time until he got the RNC or a neck crank.

I think the only way to defend is by getting on your bike whenever you're anywhere near the cage and right back into the centre. Whenever Poirier had a second of a break, I was imploring him to get the hell away from the cage. You knew Dustin was done after the guillotine attempt failed, it looked like he squeezed everything into trying to get that. I couldn't see if his hands were joined though, it didn't look like it.

Fuck it, I'm on the Justin Gaethje train now. He has wrestling and he's crazy enough to throw the kitchen sink at Khabib in the first 15 seconds. Tony -  I just feel that the fight is never going to happen with him for whatever reason.

Do we think Khabib will end up being a dull champ within a few fights? Like, why bother to tune in when there's no danger, he'll just outgrapple everyone and on to the next one? I don't think we will ever see him move up in weight either, despite the alleged tough cut. Similar to Jon Jones, I think he has that bully boy mentality where he'd be quite happy to clear out a division and then be content to crush any further lesser opponents thrown at him. I would be interested to see how he'd fare against any of Colby/Usman/Tyron.  

Ramzan Kadyrov was in attendance tonight as well - there's a lot about Khabib that is concerning to say the least. It's a bit hard to stomach someone like him being as incredibly talented as he is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There were 2 examples on the card of how that elite level wrestling just saps the will from a fighter, I think it's the grinding slower nature of being constricted  and repeatedly taken down to the floor where the person being rag dolled has time to actually think about their powerlessness, and then add in that hand and leg control on top, it just messes with their heads after weeks of prep and planning - nobody wants to lose but a KO is somehow easier to take than a slow grinding inevitable defeat that takes several rounds to come. 

I honestly believe the only way Khabib gets beaten is somebody gets on their bike as @Kingpin said, then manages to starch him early on - which don't quite go together as not many people posses that power off the back foot.

Apparently nobody has defended the belt more than times and Khabib is 2 now. I reckon he'll be wanting to claim that record then retire, and as one of the most famous Muslims alive, spread the word of Islam around the World.

Felder and Barboza. Just immense toughness and skill. Glad Felder won but the judges were weird with a 30 - 27 either way :blink2:

Curtis Blaydes wrestling is great, brutal elbow to finish thenfight and smash his oppos nose. He needs to learn some subs though, like, now.

That 30-27 Felder was nuts. 29-28 either way arguable, but not sure from where that official score was phoned in.

What do people make of Diaz Masvidal headlining MSG in November, and for the ‘BMF’ belt? Apparently Dana has actually commissioned the belt to be made too. Quite like the novelty of it, even if the name is a tad cringe. Suppose it gives fighters that might not get a regular title shot a different path to chase. Wonder if a female version will also get created, or if Shevchenko is just the reigning champ by default.

Cerrone must own the rights to BMF inc since he has the BMF ranch? Its a neat way around the "non-title fights cant headline ppv" thing. A one night tournament should be the way to win it though.

if that BMF belt thing is real it devalues all the attempts they've made to make this a serious sport and starts a descent into WWE stupidity

within a year they will be having 'loser leaves town' and table matches.