rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

He's been training MMA for quite a long time though, pretty sure BJJ was part of his rugby training program.

Lots of top professional rugby teams have grappling as part of their training program, the Welsh regions and Wales rugby team all have BJJ and boxing as part of their training. 

that will all help, and only time will tell, but a bit of a martial art as part of a wider specific sport training regime won't come anywhere near to teaching him how to transition from full guard to a side mount or defend arm bars or chokes from somebody with years of experience in something. 

we'll see of course with time, but there is a whiff of the CM Punk about this, hopefully he gets matched a little more appropriately and not on a full PPV card somewhere.

I hope he does well, I really disliked him when he was playing but since the house of rugby podcast he's really grown on me, he seems like a genuinely nice and funny bloke. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

He's been training MMA for quite a long time though, pretty sure BJJ was part of his rugby training program.

Lots of top professional rugby teams have grappling as part of their training program, the Welsh regions and Wales rugby team all have BJJ and boxing as part of their training. 

Also pretty sure the as an international rugby player he will already be juiced to the gills so will be well able to cope with the, uh, rarefied atmosphere of top class MMA.

48 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Also pretty sure the as an international rugby player he will already be juiced to the gills so will be well able to cope with the, uh, rarefied atmosphere of top class MMA.

Weirdly enough the first thing I thought of when I saw this was how long before he gets banged for the amount of juice going through him.

• Upvote 1

Bellator was a good choice by him. They will bring in some guys just for him to bowl over and get some experience. Slowly amp it up from there. 34 is'nt that old for a MMA heavyweight so theres no rush. Alot could depend on how banged up he is from rugby.

He's pretty messed up from rugby, lots of small injuries that just compounded each other is the reason he recently retired, he just couldn't put up with the constant pain anymore, saying that I moved to boxing from rugby for the same reasons, 3 shoulder ops and a knee op and basically struggling to move the day after a game put an end to it when I was 31 but weirdly enough the training I did through boxing really helped me out and he'll be much better looked after than I ever was.

Sorry i dont know. Is Paramount its US channel? Maybe they have an OD system? That or torrents or whatever people pirate with these days.

Just a heads up but saturdays ufc "event" from China is on early, 9am for prelims and 11am for main card.

Headliner is Andrade v Zhang for 115lb title. And some other stuff.

I'm actually quite looking forward to it. All of the Chinese fighters are going to be super amped up. Hoping the atmosphere is excellent and really hoping zhang wins, I've definitely been caught up in her hype train this week. 

Also on a great time for me. 

I don't know if it's because I feel I have some weird affiliation with China because I live in Asia but I've thoroughly enjoyed this card and especially the fighters Post fight speeches. The leach just just now shouting CHINA CHINA had me over the edge. 

I am also drunk. Super hope my girl does it in the main event now. 

That was damn, damn impressive. During the flurry, right before the stoppage, there was a left knee from hell to the body that visibly crumpled Andrade.

Do enjoy Andrade’s willingness to bite down on her gumshield and walk forward but Zhang looked a class above trading with her. Be interesting seeing her against Rose, who was comfortable against Andrade until the freak KO. Think Zhang beats most of the other strawweights though; she’d run through Joanna with that power.

Huge result for UFC on the whole, especially as they’ve just opened the new PI in Shanghai. Dana’s going to grinning like the cat that got all the cream in the post-fight presser.

2 hours ago, skittles said:

My name is weili zhang. I am from China. Remember me!

My heart. 

Glad you had a fun time :hat:

What performance  from Zhang! Maybe a fight with Valentina  could be on the cards for next year? That would ace.

Great finish by the Leach too, i though dos santos might sneak it through work rate. 

7 hours ago, skittles said:

I don't think anyone can beat her in this division. Technical, strong af. 

Did I say that I love her? 

She's definitely legit, but I think Rose is a bad style match for her. Joanna too. 

I hope she becomes a huge role model and helps get some eyes on the division.

That performance though? I never really thought Andrade was elite, and I don't think the title win proved anything, but Zhang's instincts and aggression were something else.

I assume everyone is going with Khabib to win against Poirier? Poirier has a chance for sure but its hard to see hom surving the grappling machine.

Pity im missing tje Felder v Baboza rematch as that should be a cracker.

Felder is on the up and Edson slightly on the down, so im going with The Irish Dragon but we all know what Edson can deploy from his arsenal.

Oh i agree with that, id actually want to see a rematch between Poirier and McGregor. When they fought before it was a behind-the-ear shot that took out Dustin iirc and Connors aura is no more and Dustin is a big 155er now. 

If I'm remembering right, it was a weird glancing shot towards the top of the side of DP's head.

In all honesty, I don't see Poirier having anything for Khabib. That said, I'm more keen than ever for Khabib to be beaten and leave the sport for good, so WAR DUSTIN.

It would mean we never get the Ferg/Khabib fight, but to be honest I think Khabib wrecks Ferguson anyway. Properly punishes him.

Had a leaning towards Poirier in the 4th, but might just be wishful thinking. Not that I mind Khabib, just really like Dustin.

Tried to get tickets as it’s an hour down the road but sold out a while back. Loads of moody tickets online, but most look dodgy as fuck. One clown trying to sell a floor seat for the equivalent of £16.5k :lol:

Rest of the card is okay, Barboza Felder should burn down all the barns.