rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Jeezo, what dick. The patrons hardly react at all, including the old guy.

It was in april, was there an injunction preventing its release?

Apparently that old fella said to Conor "the Russian battered you". So that legend managed to mug off Conor for the Khabib fight, dismiss his terrible whiskey, then no sell a Conor left hand in about 30 seconds lol.

I love how none of the old blokes react much, like this was just the average Saturday afternoon for these guys.

• Upvote 2

Cant wait for tonights fights.

Diaz was 7/1 for a sub win so put a bet on that and some others.

Romero, Diaz via injury to Pettis or something weird and Stipè on pts.

After watching the Embeddeds in the build-up this week, hope more than ever Pettis batters Diaz.

Heart wants Stipe to win but head says DC will. 

Biggest shock is Romero weighing in underweight. Think that one will be over in under a minute, just not entirely sure which way.

And those predictions are why I rarely bet!

:omg: 

War Miocic! Beautiful adjustment when he was likely three rounds down, those body shots were gruesome.

DC classy in defeat, thought he was going to have an easy night after that dominant first round.

Well played Stipe - it wasn't looking promising after that first but he just seemed to be willing himself to get his belt back, the gameplan to stand and just trade in range from Stipe seemed very odd in 2 & 3 but paid off when he started banging to the body. 

Stipès Post-fight interview was tottally ruined, swearing oh noes!

Amazing performane and a great showing of adaptatipn and perseverance. Not to mention ruthless finishing. 

Great main card. 

Cant understand why DC wouldn’t just keep taking him down and grinding him out, like he did back when he fought Rumble. Excellent from Stipe though, brutal body shots. 

Diaz looked good - nice to see he’s looking to be active again. Felt he could have had the finish there after some of those knees to the head. Enjoyed the scrambles on the ground too. That’s the type of MMA fight I enjoy most. 

Last three fights were absolute crackers ending with that fantastic come from behind KO for Stipe. Diaz looked really sharp as well. Walking down Pettis is no easy feat. If they are gonna do Diaz vs Masvidal, that needs to be a main event. I want 5 rounds of that.

Costa showed he has a very good chin as well as nasty offence. Crowd booing that decision was annoying. Yoel is popular but both fought a brutal fight and layed it all out there.

Was disappointed with Pettis’ showing but credit where it’s due, Diaz looked fluid. He presents himself a certain way but his fight IQ is perhaps underrated alongside his willingness to trade. Some of the attempted transitions on the mat were great, he never gave Pettis chance to settle into any kind of rhythm.

50 minutes ago, glb said:

Was disappointed with Pettis’ showing but credit where it’s due, Diaz looked fluid. He presents himself a certain way but his fight IQ is perhaps underrated alongside his willingness to trade. Some of the attempted transitions on the mat were great, he never gave Pettis chance to settle into any kind of rhythm.

The problem with Nate is his style is terrible against high level wrestlers. Theres a bunch of them in the top 10 at 170 too and putting Nate against any of them is a waste of time. He will get held down for the whole fight then call them "bitch ass, mother fuckers" and claim he won. To keep Nate happy the UFC need to give him guys like Masvidal, Lawler, Till and pay him alot of money. Guys he can have fun wars with. He doesn't need a belt to main event tbh. Theres always the Conor trilogy fight as well, if Conor ever gets his shit together.

It would suck if Nate just fucks off again for 3 years. He is a total nutcase but he is a star and the UFC needs more of them atm.

• Upvote 1

Diaz Till is a great shout, although think Till has just confirmed he’s going to middleweight. Shame, Diaz wouldn’t respect Till in the way Wonderboy did, nor would he just run through him like Woodley. Neither Diaz or Till have crazy knockout power so would make a great potential five rounder.

Lawler Diaz equally appetising though, and true about Diaz not needing the belt to be relevant. Pay him what he wants and enjoy the fireworks. Hopefully they can keep him active for a November / December card.

• Upvote 2

2 elite level wrestlers losing fights they could have won and refusing to go to their strengths and take the fights down.

Is it pressure to be a fan fave and not get booed, the need for $50k FotN bonuses or ego at beating strikers at their own thing ?

The only time I remember seeing Yoel go to his wrestling was against Weidman - and that was pretty spectacular. I think his fighting style in MMA is to mostly use defensive wrestling.

For Cormier, I think it's two-fold. He's one of the best dirty boxers in the sport, so he's still better than his opposition there. In addition, he probably wants that Jon Jones/Fedor thing of working out what you're best at, then beating you at it.

Stipe's no slouch in the wrestling department though - he did take DC down, if only briefly.

I really think Jones got inside Cormiers head with that beating you at your own game thing - DC should be done now, he's had a good run but must know in his heart that there is a younger active fighter at both LH & H that probably have his number. 

Joel not wrestling is odd as the flashes he's shown are spectacular. 

Cormier seems to have said that he fell in love with 'marking up' guys' faces with his striking. He's been a standout at close range ever since KOing Bigfoot in Strikeforce.

Really not sure who I'd pick in Stipe/Cormier 3 though. Cormier's never been finished by someone's he's finished before, so there are some brand-new questions to answer.

I certainly don't think Cormier should want to hang it up (apart from his own personal deadline). He'll be making great money and he's still second best in two divisions.

I cant DC retiring on a loss, he's too much of a competitor and itd eat him up commentating on guys he'd deal with easily if he went away now. So barring a rematch and a freak occurance like Brock, whose next for Stipè and DC? 

Yoel just blows me away with his movement and gracefull explosions

2 hours ago, McFly said:

I cant DC retiring on a loss, he's too much of a competitor and itd eat him up commentating on guys he'd deal with easily if he went away now. So barring a rematch and a freak occurance like Brock, whose next for Stipè and DC? 

Yoel just blows me away with his movement and gracefull explosions

DC is 40 though and has been talking retirement for a while. He is on that AKA training regime too, so you know his body is fucked. The UFC are probably throwing huge money at him to keep him going. If he fights again it would be Stipe 3 for the money or Jones because he hates him. Outside of those two or Brock I can't see him fighting anyone else.

Stipe has Ngannou 2 or DC3, thats about it thats interesting unless Jones moves up which I doubt. Heavyweight has always been thin and Stipe has basically beaten everyone else. Theres Derreck Lewis I suppose but he is has lost his last 2 and would in all honesty get destroyed by Stipe. Light Heavyweight is thin as well but at least theres some prospects like Johnny Walker coming through. DC is going to leave a pretty big hole at the top of two divisions when he goes. 

• Upvote 1

interesting doc on the weight gains between weigh ins and fight night at last UFC.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/8/19/20812806/ufc-241-fight-night-weights-daniel-cormier-14-pounds-heavier-than-stipe-miocic

those MW's really do walk into the ring as LH (except of course that LHs will talk in as HWs)

I think DC should call it quits, not because he's finished necessarily but because the only fights that add anything to his career other than $$$ are Jones, who he'll never beat, or Stipe again for a decider.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Stipe has Ngannou 2 or DC3, thats about it thats interesting unless Jones moves up which I doubt. Heavyweight has always been thin and Stipe has basically beaten everyone else.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'd like to see an Overeem rematch (assuming he gets through Harris). He could have had their fight wrapped up after a minute but chose to try and submit Stipe rather than lay on more punches, I'm sure it still haunts him today. 

Good news:

Diaz v Masvidal looks on for december.

Cejudo "accecpts Aldos offer".

Bad news:

UFC 242 is still gonna be ppv in the UK. Its not a great card on paper, nowhere near last weeks. But id have thpught BT would have learned its not gonna fly here.

15 hours ago, McFly said:

UFC 242 is still gonna be ppv in the UK. Its not a great card on paper, nowhere near last weeks. But id have thpught BT would have learned its not gonna fly here.

Only guess is they’re doing it with this one because it will be on at a much friendlier time for UK audiences (think the main card starts around 7pm)

Doesn't make it right, hopefully the buy rate is low enough for them to avoid repeating this money grab.

PPV via BT can do one - I simply refuse to pay for them on top of the normal monthly subs.

Looks like the UFC don't want Askren to get ko'd again (or he is going shot shy after lawlor & masvidal) - he'll be rolling round and getting booed with Maia in a bout that could set the least strikes attempted record.

James Haskell, of England rugby fame, has been signed to fight with Bellator. He apparently has been training with MVP and commentaed too. Hes a big athletic guy and i could see him doing ok.

If you had to join the sport late on, with a different athletic background, HW is where you'd want to be.

Low skill barrier to get a reasonably high level, you just need the size.

yeah you can probably get higher in HW than any other division just on being a big athletic lump, mainly as you'll meet several of your own kind in the early days.

it's always the lack of a ground game that gets those that are 'just' athletes though.