rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

There’s not much I wouldn’t give to see Lawler starch Covington. I’m not religious in any way but if there’s a god out there you know what needs done. 

• Upvote 1

I don't mind Covington because he's so far into playing the heel that it is almost amusing. Don't disagree that seeing him flattened would be glorious though, and Lawler getting back into the upper echelons of the welterweight rankings would be a fairytale.

Miller V Guida in the co-main should be like two Easter Island statues butting heads for fifteen minutes. Rest of the card is intriguing at best, although praise be for the early event start time.

I didnt realise that Guida v Miller was happeneing, happy to see it though. Otherwise Shevchenkos fight id like to see despite her sisters annoying noisey cornering.

Man, Covington did a number on Lawler. His endurance is impressive, guess we’ll be seeing who’s the better wrestler when he fights Usman later in the year, probably at MSG.

Miller and Guida was wild for the brief time it lasted! Otherwise a solid card, some good finishes. Onto the next one!

Fuck completely missed this was on early. Not sure I can stomach five rounds of that bellend beating up one of my favourites either.

Said I didn’t mind Covington, but seeing the Trump gimps Octagon-side was some grade A heel work. He knows how to push buttons, especially in an area that despises that family.

Only plus, one day he’ll lose and he’ll be choking on the sheer size of the humble pie.

In other news, Cyborg is getting released after her latest spat with Dana. Guess Bellator or WWE will be next for her... would be hilarious if after all these years she finally faces Rousey but it is in a WWE ring.

Outstanding performance by Covington. His shots aren't devastating, but they were numerous and he took risks.

God knows why Lawler's so gunshy. Just reminds me of latter-day Hendo - take a beating and try and score one big shot. I'm actually glad that Lawler didn't find his shot, because there's no world where he deserved a win here.

Trump tweeting Colby to congratulate him just 20 mins after his El Paso shooting tweet is garnering some pretty fierce ire, deservedly.

Also, Herb needs a holiday.

Colbybdidnt look like he was out of 3rd gear while Lawler was in neutral mostly. Its gonna be a interetsing fight between Usman and Covington. Or it might be boring.

Loved that armbat attempt and escape in the Shevchenko match.

Covington has had some spat with Miesha "cupcake" Tate on her radio show or podcast. Whoch would bormally be a big "so what?" But, it lead to the revelation of some, easy to find, home-made nude pics of her. May be old news but o found it enlightening.

• Downvote 1

Well that weirdo Cejudo calling out a female fighter for the first cross gender champ is a PR backfire isn't it - won't look good for a midget big head bloke to declare he wants paying for attempting to beat up a woman. 

He’s such a cringeworthy bellend. Even said in jest, it’s just a weird angle and takes someone with a bit more savvy to pull off and make humorous.

Sadly, Triple Cringe definitely doesn’t have that savvy, and comes across like a sad gym rat trying to convince the world he’s over an ex-girlfriend who’s moved on to bigger and better things.

Yeah, the guy's just having fun. 

Considering the genuinely shitty -even criminal- guys many fans are happy to cheer on, he's just making himself silly headlines while he waits for his next actual fight.

Oh god, I hope Stipe mangles DC this weekend.

“Him sitting out this whole time, I feel like he acted a little bit like a brat, like, ‘I should get a rematch,’” Cormier said. “I just thought he should’ve fought again. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But you know what? It worked. Now he gets the chance to fight for the title again.”

And what happened when you got KTFOd, DC? Oh yeah, you kept your belt. 

DC has a real vibe of a guy who gets pissed off and then pretends he was joking all along. God knows if it's the real DC, or just marketing arsehole DC. But if DC is shown to be transitional, with Stipe as the true king, the whole landscape changes.

WAR MIOCIC.

33 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Yeah, the guy's just having fun. 

Considering the genuinely shitty -even criminal- guys many fans are happy to cheer on, he's just making himself silly headlines while he waits for his next actual fight.

He’s having fun but I’m not sure he’s in on his own joke.

This weekend would love a Stipe win via massive KO, Pettis win by 720 reverse question mark kick and Romero via flex mixed with the best Cuban horse meat money can buy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm pretty sure its ok to keep your belt if the other guy pops for steroids.

Pretty sure it's ok to expect a rematch when you've got the most defenses of all time.

DC is just in no position to throw stones here. He's been gifted everything he's wanted.

25 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Pretty sure it's ok to expect a rematch when you've got the most defenses of all time.

DC is just in no position to throw stones here. He's been gifted everything he's wanted.

DC wanted Brock in a end of career cash in fight.

That fell apart so the crazy fucker is going Stipe rematch and if he wins that another Jones fight. Thats about as hard as you can roll in MMA.

Jones tweeted about the trilogy not happening earlier today. So expect to see it at MSG in November or Vegas in December.

I'm in the rooting for Stipe camp, can't stand Cormier, jock bully boy twat who somehow manages to fool people and hide it somewhat, unlike Rockhold. 

The only reason I'd want a DC win is if it tempts his ego into one final dismantling by Jones.

Can't discredit his win over Stipe to gain the belt, but he's having a very carefully curated time at HW to put some distance from his last massive Jones loss and to put a shine on the final days of his career. 

It's why I doubt very much he'll fight Jones again, he knows the outcome and other than money serves him no purpose.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

DC wanted Brock in a end of career cash in fight.

That fell apart so the crazy fucker is going Stipe rematch and if he wins that another Jones fight. Thats about as hard as you can roll in MMA.

The 'crazy fucker' shouldn't have a choice though. He took the super easy roll against Lewis, and the payday. Miocic is the only man deserving of a HW title shot right now.

For a man who won his first LHW title coming off a loss, he shouldn't be suggesting Stipe deserves anything less. 

I'm not convinced that DC is the jock shithead that @Gotters thinks he is - he feels like an awkward nerd playing the role of one. But then again, maybe that awkward nice guy is the role he's been playing. Just for longer.

I think DC will win on Saturday, but fuck, I'll love it if he doesn't.

• Upvote 1

I'm team STIPE all day. I can't stand DC. DC acted like a brat and should have given an immediate rematch. 

I thiink Diaz lights pettis face up with his boxing and I'm OK with a win either way. 

I don’t mind Cormier at all. I’ve never bought in to the bad publicity. Nonetheless I’d like to see Stipe win at the weekend just to totally muddy the UFC waters. They would have no idea what to do beyond put him in again with Ngannou. Pettis winning as well would be awesome as I don’t think Nate Diaz has ever been anything more than a competent fighter with excellent cardio. 

If Nate hadnt had 3 years off id back him, but Pettis is too good and i think theres a small chance he could sub Diaz which would be insane.

DC and I share the same birthday so i feel i should support him but i have to go for Stipè. DC and his roll of honour speak for themselves but he'd never have been 205 champ if Jones was always there. At HW though hes been as good as anyone bar Stipè. Saturday decides champ of eternity.

Costa v Yoel could be quality, just have a posing contest.

Its straight up bullying and im glad there is a reasonabke level of alternatives for fighters now. I bloody love the ufc for it gave me mma but its like hearing about an old friend whose doing horrible shit.