rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Oh Scott, never change :wub:

Second round to be decided by a draw apparently. That'll probably make UEFA's draws look fair and unbiased ... 

Surprised Gallagher wasn't convinced to move up.

Could be fun, i just wish it was over a shorter time period. A few weeks say rather than months.

Anyway, i didnt noticed Vitor was now in OneFC and wants Rogan to cirner him since they debuted for the UFC on the same night apparently. I guess they can share their TRT with eachother.

9 decisions in a row. Not exciting ones either. Followed by 3 1st round KOs then a fairly strategic uninspiring main event.

Was wide awake at the start so sat through most of it (finally dozed off before the main event)

Whoever is the first heavyweight to finally starch Greg Hardy should get a special bonus. Maybe Derrick Lewis is the hero we need...

Hooker’s KO of Vick about the only memorable bit of action; lovely feint to set up the punch.

I was looking at next weeks Holloway v Edgar card. And other than them and Cyborgs fight i only know Aubin-Mercier and Erik Koch on the card. I honestly have no idea who the other fighters are. PPV numbers will be low as id never pay fir that card.

8 minutes ago, McFly said:

I was looking at next weeks Holloway v Edgar card. And other than them and Cyborgs fight i only know Aubin-Mercier and Erik Koch on the card. I honestly have no idea who the other fighters are. PPV numbers will be low as id never pay fir that card.

What's crazier is this is the 3rd time they have tried setting up Holloway/Edgar. If they lose that they would have to change this to a Fight Night. Even then it would be a pretty crap Fight Night name wise.

There is loads of Canadian fighters on the card, so the crowd should be pretty lively but its an event, that outside the Main and Co Main is very skippable.

I dunno how they expect to sell ppvs with such weak name value cards. Fight Nights, do whatever but numbered ppv events need names. 

For now 241 has:

DC Stipe 2

Pettis Diaz

Romero Costa

Although would bet a sizeable amount (£3.82) that at least one of those will fall through.

Speaking of PPVs, I would pay a sizeable amount (78p) to know what BT sold for UFC239 in the end. Apparently they are also planning it for 242 (Dustin/Khabib).

78p is hopefully more than what BT made from the event. They would be better off introducing a BT UFC channel for, I dunno, £7.50 a month with 24/7 content and all events included if they want to do a cash grab.

Saw UFC suggest the UK has traditionally been a PPV market, but we've only really experienced it for boxing and wrestling, both of which are more likely to inspire viewing parties with shared costs. And generally both start a little earlier.

I was reading up on this on a forum the other day - lots of people had been calling BT about it (but take it all with a pinch of salt)

They were saying it was a BT Sport not a UFC decision to go PPV in the UK for certain cards, PPV sales were very low (various guesses and 'I read' comments of between 1,000 and 10,000) and lots of comments that advisors for BT when called were saying its generated a lot of bad feeling and slowed sub sign up rates a lot.

Apparently some were told there is an announcement due in August about BT & UFC but no light as to what that was. 

update

I just called BT Sport and got my bill reduced from £24.99 a month (with free HD as they bizarrely charge £6.50 per month for this) to £14..99 with free HD - pain is I have to call every 3m to get the free HD added back in but they said they can't add permanently free, but offer always there.

Lady I spoke to said she hadn't taken many calls, those she had they reduced sub for, and it was UFC not BT decision to do this.

UFC says otherwise:

“As part of the renewal and part of the rebuild of the partnership with BT Sport was giving them the ability to have a limited number of events on pay-per-view,” [UFC big cheese] told Express Sport. “For us, it seemed to, on paper, make a lot of sense.

[The number of PPVs], according to Shaw, will be entirely down to BT Sport. He said: “Ultimately this is going to come down to how BT wants to pursue this right that they've got."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc/1149371/UFC-BT-Sport-Box-Office-Pay-Per-View-Dave-Shaw-UFC-News-And-Rumours/amp

The only athlete they have that makes sense for PPV outside the US is McGregor. Considering he's had three MMA fight in three years and two of those were almost three years ago, that is pretty damning. Not sure even a Brock or Ronda return would move the needle much... unless they were fighting each other.

That's a decent discount Gotters; worth the tri-monthly phonecall for sure. Charging £6.50 for HD though... fucking hell :lol:

Problem with Jones now is even if its a totally made up accusation people will just assume he’s probably up to no good on previous evidence,  same for doping.

for a numbered PPV I don't recognise either fighter in the first 3 matches on the main card - sometimes these things surprise you and the matchmaking is good giving some barnstormers, but who the hell is paying PPV fees to watch these names ?

Be a tough sell even for getting mates over to share the cost.

Been watching the Embeddeds, even they are low energy and have so far only featured the main and co-main fighters. A missed opportunity to let a potential audience get familiarised with some of the other fighters on the card. Shame.

Only watched the main card but that was about as low-key a UFC event I can remember.

With only Anik and Rogan on comms, even the broadcast felt like UFC couldn’t be arsed, not helped by Rogan having an off night (shit like repeatedly saying the co-main was five rounds) and Anik sounding bored.

Max barely got out of second gear and dominated Edgar. Spencer was surprisingly durable and... well that was about it. Strange night.

what an utterly tedious card - 7 of the 10 fighters I'd genuinely never heard, and not a great fight out of 5.

that wasn't even a passable fight night event.

Aye it wasnt terrible but really "meh" event. Spencer looked way better than i expected but other wise...zzzzzz

Lawler v Covington next week though.

I love Rogan to death, but he seems different on the comms and podcast lately. He has been a bit annoying over stating minor things and over excitex. It was maybe cos DC wasnt there so he felt he had to  pump up a lame card but still.

Niko price fight was fun and I'm not sure what else did we expect from frankie decision Edgar. He was never putting away max. 

Couple of fun fights on the pre lims with the Korean and Japanese fighters.

Think I got lucky as I only caught those two and then the last 3 of the main card. 

1 hour ago, McFly said:

I love Rogan to death, but he seems different on the comms and podcast lately. He has been a bit annoying over stating minor things and over excitex. It was maybe cos DC wasnt there so he felt he had to  pump up a lame card but still.

*puts on tinfoil hat* It was Cyborg's last fight before her free agency begins and his commentary wasn't exactly flattering... I know he's stated he's not a company man, but it wouldn't be a huge reach if the instruction was to pick holes, given she might soon be in Bellator or ONE. Laughably, Spencer is getting comments about deserving a title shot. She deserves credit for going the distance but never looked close to winning... once Cyborg leaves the UFC, their FW decision is toast. You don't earn title shots because you can take a shot and offer little back besides durability (the cut from the elbow was about as superficial as cuts in fights get)

Covington Lawler would have sat nicely on the 240 card, but at least it has the potential to go five rounds. Early in the year cards felt balanced but there's been a dip recently. Guess that's partly due to the cycle of who is fit and already fought recently. Personally, I'd rather see less events, say an average of one a fortnight across the year and see a greater depth to the cards but who knows what the ESPN deal requires. 40-odd events a year is a lot to maintain.

Also, in case you missed it, next week's main card, even though it's in Newark, starts at 8pm UK time.

This week’s free fight upload is a humdinger...Anyone new to the thread, just sit back and watch one of the great UFC fights.

• Upvote 2

For my money it's the greatest fight ever and the absolute pinnacle in terms of two men leaving it all inside the cage. The staredown at the end of the 4th round gives me chills every time.

And it was immediately followed by Conor v Mendes. Fans got their money's worth and then some that night.

• Upvote 1

I was there - god, what a spectacular event. Arnie and Iron Mike were in the crowd, I’m absolutely hammered on boozy iced lemonade slush puppy things and the place was going mental. Spent a fortune on seats alone but by god, it was worth it. I still have my room key from the MGM - it has a picture of Conor/Aldo as he pulled out at the last minute. 

The weirdest thing was that the seats in front of me were empty until the main event when some young Irish guys took them - imagine missing the Robbie/Rory fight after paying $1k per seat? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I was there - god, what a spectacular event. Arnie and Iron Mike were in the crowd, I’m absolutely hammered on boozy iced lemonade slush puppy things and the place was going mental. Spent a fortune on seats alone but by god, it was worth it. I still have my room key from the MGM - it has a picture of Conor/Aldo as he pulled out at the last minute. 

The weirdest thing was that the seats in front of me were empty until the main event when some young Irish guys took them - imagine missing the Robbie/Rory fight after paying $1k per seat? 

What an event to be at! Vegas for a UFC event is still on the bucketlist. That key card is a unique bit of memorabilia too; be amazing if one day you can get it signed.

The empty seats thing was the same at 205 in New York: loads of Conor fans on the concourses around MSG until right before he fought Alvarez. More fool them for missing Woodley and Thompson's 4th round, a Joanna masterclass (back when she gave them) and Romero kneeing Weidman into the blood realm. And this young Khabib fella who was on the prelims...

I bet those people that missed those amazing fights tell people they saw them. It must have been amazing to be there. Ive been to 4 events, but nothing eternal like those ones.

I have a feeling Covington is gonna steamroll Lawler. Or Lawler KOs him with 1 punch.