Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Ufc was fucking amazing last night. Nunes is going to be champ for a very very long time. It's like the minute she sees weakness, it just makes her go super saiyan and fight harder. 

That fucking knee though, holy shit. Askren deserved that shit because he let his mouth write cheques his face couldn't cash :lol:

so BT going PPV sent me to the PBay for the first time in years, took a while for a full card download to turn up but caught up now.

nothing better than seeing Rockhold get starched, its that combo of cuntish bully boy jock and fragile chin that is so enjoyable.

poor old Askren, if you wind your opponents up to the degree he constantly does there will clearly be consequences, as MacGregor discovered, for every Aldo you wind up to a nauseous shadow of themselves there is a Khabib or Masvidal who use the fire to take your head off.

Jones seemed 'off' - he seemed very gun shy even when it was obvious how impaired his opponent was, tight fight and hard to say that the challenger took the title away from the champ.

Outstanding card. 

Santos is an absolute warrior. Jones, when he's not cheating, obvs is the ultimate babyface gentleman fighter. Doesn't go for the obviously injured knee. Doesn't take him down and try and heel hook him. Wants to beat him fairly in the area his opponent is best in. 

If only it extended to his personality out of the cage.

Nunes is just amazing. Long may she reign.

Bad night for Askren. Spectacular for Jorge, but I always feel robbed when I've looked forward to a fight and we don't really get to see it. Like we never got to see a real Aldo/Conor fight.

I think Askren's trash, but so is Jorge. His antics were bullshit. Whatever though, this is hardly a classy sport at this point.

Rockhold fought a really strange fight. He looked dynamic on the feet (as always), but then keeps going to wall'n''stall. And clearly underestimating Blachowicz's power. I think Rockhold is better than most people who've beaten him, but he can't seem to put it all together at the moment. Dana's talk of him retiring seems mad, considering how happy he is to wheel out some absolute derelicts, but if he can make a decent modelling/acting run, then maybe he should. I'm not convinced that his LHW run will be the one I wanted.

I don’t know why Askren shot. Jorge has, more than a few times gone for a running charge at the start. Why would you drop down into that, I have no idea. Overconfidence? Felt like the story of more than a few of the matches to me. If he just waited a split second, it would have been a very different match.

Rockhold - again, felt like he was so confident he completely underestimated his opponent. Not sensible fighting. Glad he got KOed though.

Was surprised with the Jones fight, I did have it 3 to 2 for Santos though so was a bit surprised that he did not get the win. Such a shame he had that dodgy leg, I wonder if that skewed the scoring a bit with some of the knockdowns not really related to the impacts.

Also surprised that Nunes KO’ed Holm. Was expecting Holly to last the full 5 rounds. She seems like one of the most genuinely nicest people, but just hasn’t quite managed to put it all together. However, the fight I really want to see is a 5 round Nunes/Schevchenko fight. 

On 07/07/2019 at 14:56, schmojo said:

Doesn't go for the obviously injured knee. 

Apart from the comedy flying knee stomp attempt in the 4th or 5th - he's still a massive twat. No eyepokes at least though.

Marreta was incredible and was probably the best challenger I've ever seen take on Jones. Not in any way a robbery, championships don't change hands on such fine margins. Would love to see a rematch though. 

Overall a brilliant card, best for absolute ages. Shame BT took the greedy route, I wonder how many people actually bought it. 

Nunes' win felt weirdly anticlimactic, Holly isn't on her level and is unfortunately trading off past glories. 

The KOs of Rockhold and Askren were absolute poetry and, while I am never a fan of gloating, unnecessary extra shots and poor sportsmanship, both of those guys are absolute pricks of the highest order so it's hard to feel too sad for them.

Also great to see Arnold Allen still moving up - a win over Giblert is nothing to be sniffed at, he should definitely be top 15 this week.

Askren returned from the shadow realm to give a surprisingly candid interview on Ariel’s show earlier. He’s a pantomime villain but also a great example for any fighter that suffers a defeat. Shit happens. Don’t mind the guy.

Welterweight is kind of all over the place with Usman being injured, Covington fighting Lawler, Edwards taking on RDA while Woodley waits on the sidelines for Dana to throw him some scraps. Sean Shelby needs to get his highlighters and paper out to map the rest of the year for the division.

I don't understand the hate for Askren. Masvidal seems like a complete arsehole. Isn't he the guy who randomly started on some guy backstage at a London event? All of his pre-fight hype seemed to consist of idiotic stuff like talking about how he was going to rip Askren's head off and kill his family etc. Askren's whole stance just seemed to be whatever it's just a sport and it's a bit off that Masvidal is acting like a psycho. Obviously Masvidal rehearsed the move and you make your own luck, but any sort of quick knockdown like that owes a large part to chance. I'd be interested to see a rematch.

38 minutes ago, Tourist said:

I don't understand the hate for Askren. Masvidal seems like a complete arsehole. Isn't he the guy who randomly started on some guy backstage at a London event? All of his pre-fight hype seemed to consist of idiotic stuff like talking about how he was going to rip Askren's head off and kill his family etc. Askren's whole stance just seemed to be whatever it's just a sport and it's a bit off that Masvidal is acting like a psycho. Obviously Masvidal rehearsed the move and you make your own luck, but any sort of quick knockdown like that owes a large part to chance. I'd be interested to see a rematch.

Masvidal HATES being trash talked. He is pretty chilled out in fight build ups with guys who are respectful. One random insult will send him nuts though. Guys like Askren and Till were just waving a red cape infront of a bull winding him up, as he seems to fight better when he is really fucking angry.

Leon Edwards randomly walked up to him backstage when he was being interviewed in London and told him "I'll kick your ass in July". Now that did'nt deserve Masvidal following him and trying to take his head off but he should know better. 

Ben is just a pantomime villain and is far more likeable with his trash talk than say Covington but he has been running his mouth for years. Being on the receiving end of the fastest knock out in UFC history is pretty funny after the years he spent saying how trash UFC fighters were. 

Maybe - that is not what it looked like when I saw it though; it looked like the two of them were exchanging words and then out of nowhere Masvidal just lamped the guy with what looked like a sucker punch (at work so can't look for the video now).

Masvidal is a piece of shit who smiles at the right time to get people on side.

That said, he's fighting like an incredible piece of shit right now, and I'll watch any fight he's a part of.

Aah man, I really hope they run that fight back. As impressive as quick KOs are, they're the luckiest way to win. They don't tell the whole story. Sub-20s wins should be guaranteed rematches, in my insane fantasy world.

8 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Apart from the comedy flying knee stomp attempt in the 4th or 5th - he's still a massive twat. No eyepokes at least though.

Jon's one of the most precise, diverse, surprising strikers the sport has ever known. You honestly think he couldn't have wrecked the fuck out of that knee - and potentially Santos's career - if he wanted to? Dude has a granite jaw too - Santos would've killed lesser men. Clearly that lack of damage accumulation over the years is serving him well.

For all of our talk about it being close, he could've won the fight at any point he really wanted to with his insane grappling acumen. Which begs the question: is it all ego, or has he reached that peak Anderson/GSP plateau where it's all about doing as little as possible while still winning?

If he's lost interest, and doesn't want to give the HWs a proper run, I hope he retires. His presence makes the LHW division look even weaker than it is. Bring him in for big money superfights ever year or so, where he might want to put on a display.

5 hours ago, Tourist said:

Maybe - that is not what it looked like when I saw it though; it looked like the two of them were exchanging words and then out of nowhere Masvidal just lamped the guy with what looked like a sucker punch (at work so can't look for the video now).

You were claiming that Masvidal "randomly started on some guy backstage at a London event".

Leon Edwards has said he was saying stuff to Masvidal before and after the show. Masvidal we know as someone who doesn't go mental unless you start trash talking him. Which backs up what we see in the video. Masvidal is being interviewed and you hear someone start saying something to him off camera, then he reacts.

Theres certain fighters you just don't randomly start shouting shit at and not expect reprocussions, the Diaz brothers or Khabib for example. They don't play that "its only business", I'm just selling the fight and then hugging afterwards game.The incident was ugly but I have no sympathy for Leon, he chose to poke the bear with a stick. 

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

Aah man, I really hope they run that fight back. As impressive as quick KOs are, they're the luckiest way to win. They don't tell the whole story. Sub-20s wins should be guaranteed rematches, in my insane fantasy world.

Ben Askren "What am I gonna do about it? Cry? Ask for a rematch? I don't deserve a rematch. I got knocked out in five seconds."

Especially a guy  like Askren who im sure plenty people are saying "I told you so" about. Hes a class fighter and good guy, albeit a bit cocky at times but he deserves to be in the UFC morebthan alot of fighters and id happily watch him fight. Saturdays card is on BT at 9pm before the De Randamie/Ladd card.

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Especially a guy  like Askren who im sure plenty people are saying "I told you so" about. Hes a class fighter and good guy, albeit a bit cocky at times but he deserves to be in the UFC morebthan alot of fighters and id happily watch him fight. Saturdays card is on BT at 9pm before the De Randamie/Ladd card.

Genuinely thought De Randamie had been biffed from the UFC. Saturday’s card is a mixed bag but there are a couple of decent match-ups in that mix. Anyone going to bother watching live?

3 hours ago, Orion said:

You were claiming that Masvidal "randomly started on some guy backstage at a London event".

Leon Edwards has said he was saying stuff to Masvidal before and after the show. Masvidal we know as someone who doesn't go mental unless you start trash talking him. Which backs up what we see in the video. Masvidal is being interviewed and you hear someone start saying something to him off camera, then he reacts.

Theres certain fighters you just don't randomly start shouting shit at and not expect reprocussions, the Diaz brothers or Khabib for example. They don't play that "its only business", I'm just selling the fight and then hugging afterwards game.The incident was ugly but I have no sympathy for Leon, he chose to poke the bear with a stick. 

I was pointing out that Masvidal is a much bigger douchebag than Askren, and your account doesn't change my opinion - and sucker punching someone because they say something that upsets you is the very definition of randomly starting on someone in my book. 

44 minutes ago, glb said:

Genuinely thought De Randamie had been biffed from the UFC. Saturday’s card is a mixed bag but there are a couple of decent match-ups in that mix. Anyone going to bother watching live?

Never watch any live unless they are in Europe. There is some interesting fights though, Ryan Hall v Elkins is ultimate-technician against ultimate-grit guy. Sean Emmet again, Julianna Pèna is back from wherever shes been. Uriah Faber returning should be headliner id say. Could dire could be FOTY candidates