Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

On 04/01/2019 at 11:49, schmojo said:

Fuck knows why he cheats, but he's still the greatest LHW to ever do it by a long way.

If it hadn't been for the cheating I would have agreed with you 100%. For me a true champion is not just a great fighter but also a good rolemodel. GSP is pretty much the perfect champion in my eyes. 

And that isn't enhanced by Turinabol.

Fatigue slows down your reaction time and steroids increase your physical performance.

22 minutes ago, Stevie said:

If it hadn't been for the cheating I would have agreed with you 100%. For me a true champion is not just a great fighter but also a good rolemodel. GSP is pretty much the perfect champion in my eyes. 

Fatigue slows down your reaction time and steroids increase your physical performance.

You're absolutely reaching if you're suggesting that Jones' creativity and impeccable analysis of his opponent is drug enhanced. It's just not to any relevant degree.

Jones certainly isn't a good role model in any way. But he's the only fighter in UFC history to never have been in any danger. Outside of the Vitor armbar, and he turned that around pretty quickly and decisively - with yet another different kind of victory.

30 minutes ago, schmojo said:

You're absolutely reaching if you're suggesting that Jones' creativity and impeccable analysis of his opponent is drug enhanced. It's just not to any relevant degree.

I apologize if I was unclear. I didn't mean that it enhances his analysis, but steroids prevents reaction time increase due to fatigue. Jones is a fantastic fighter!

9 hours ago, Stevie said:

GSP is pretty much the perfect champion in my eyes. 

GSP has had controversies regarding greasing so his record isn’t 100% squeaky clean. I think it’s because of the allegations against GSP that corner men are no longer allowed to apply vaseline. 

I love GSP and all but the greasing thing seems to be completely forgotten. It’s less extreme than PEDs but still, it’s there. 

I hope Rockhold does move up to LH and gets smashed silly by Jones, who he is calling out.

A man who can get starched by a MW like Bisping who was never a renowned puncher doesn't seem likely to fair well against boiled down heavyweights who sweat it out to make LH - that said crazy MMA maths probably sees Rockhold became the first person to beat Jones. 

Smith is still a bit of a wild card but I can't see him troubling Jones. As much as I'd like him to.

Regarding 170lb... I don't like Colby (who does?) but it kind of makes a mockery of crowning an interim champion if they then fade into obscurity with no right to unite the belts. And it's not like he's unmarketable, the guy met Donald Trump after his title win for fuck's sake! 

I imagine the plan with Jones is to keep him really active with whoever is even vaguely credible, in the hope that a permanent training camp will minimise the chances for him to screw up (but those pesky tainted supplements and dick pills can happen at any time of course)

Smith has improved alot and is bloody tough and sometimes tough is enough but realisticly Jones wins easily. 

Namajunas is fighting Jessica Andrade at UFC237 iirc. Hard to see Rose not getting wrecked as Andrade is sccaaaarrry.

Colby is apparently wanting released from his contract after being "snubbed" for a title fight. Gotta agree really. Dana et al have form for doing what they want and promosing people fights and renaging but Covington was and still is interim-champ isnt he? Regardless it just damages the companies credability.

30 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I’m really bored of Rockhold running his mouth. All he ever does is moan and bitch about people. Too much trash, not enough fighting. 

Does make it funnier whenever he gets knocked out though. 

Can't stand Rockhold as I've said many times, he's a total jock bully boy cunt - you can imagine he's the sort in that sparring video who always leaves a bit too much on a training partner or holds a sub a bit too long just to prove his dominance of somebody being paid to get beaten up by him (I imagine DC is exactly the same, another jock twat).

My main hope from him moving up to 205 is lot more chances to see him get ko'd - if he can't handle Bisping's power I see problems for him against boiled down heavyweights. 

7 hours ago, skittles said:

Cejudo / TJ.

WHO YOU GOT?

TJ for me via finish. I think he can neutralize the wrestling. Cejudo looking beast mode though. Does he drop a huge amount of weight?

Cejudo does cut loads iirc, more than TJ i suspect. He missed weight 3 times in a year too, though hes alot better now.

Im looking forward to the fight for sure, did TJ beat DJ or was that Cruz?

With all the MMa cognescenti declaring DJ the greatest champ of all time ever aren’t people sleeping on Cejudo a bit ?

I think Dillishaw is one of the best, and its a good matchup, buts its one of those no result would surprise me type fights.

I’ll make TJ fave as he’s normally pretty accurate with his punching and finding Cejudo’s massive noggin shouldn’t be difficult for him

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

With all the MMa cognescenti declaring DJ the greatest champ of all time ever aren’t people sleeping on Cejudo a bit ?

Probably a bit yeah. In all honesty the only Cejudo fight I can remember watching was his fight with Mighty Mouse in which he was quite impressive to be fair. It’s sometimes quite easy to dismiss the abilities of a fighter that you haven’t watched that much when they come up against one that you have. But TJ’s so good I just can’t see beyond him winning comfortably. If he’s having a nasty weight cut it could change things but he seems to be on track with that so far judging from reports.

so TJ has admitted to being 135lbs at the start of the week - normally cutting 10lbs would be easily in range for these guys at bigger weights - but how has he got 10lbs of water or fat to shed on an already cut down frame, just his head alone in the interview looks shredded.

Jimmy Smith has been booted from the UFC :blink::o they are "going with fighters for commentary". cunts

Predictions for saturday night are:

Cowboy is gonna win, just.

Gregor Gilliespie is gonna sub Yancy

Ostovich is gonna pummel PVZ in self claimed "battle of the sexies" (pvz isnt really my type tho).

Ole snakey Dillashaw is gonna win, clise fight though. As for Cejudo, theres just something i dont like about him.

Was a fairly risky move leaving Bellator for a one-year contract, and presumably no chance of going back there as they took on Ranallo, Big John, Sonnen etc.

Personally I think he's really good and enjoy his commentary more than most in the UFC (Rogan included). Shame.