rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Nik Lentz v Gray Maynard is worth seeing.

Interesting words from Dan Hardy on whu Khabib flipped out:

"I feel that because it was a one-sided fight, Khabib didn't have chance to get the respect of McGregor.

Because Khabib has mauled McGregor for four rounds, he didn't get the closure he needed from the fight. As soon as he got back up, there was fight left in him and that's why he went for one of McGregor's men."

40 minutes ago, Orion said:

They can take the whole pay if they deem the offence worthy.

Not quite sure how Conor is to blame in that video when he was reacting to Khabib flying kicking his corner tbh. That's not throwing the first punch is it ?

Good point - I hadn't seen Khabib kicking there, just thought he'd jumped in and quickly got held back. Conor still punched a guy who hadn't attacked him though.

I don't quite understand why khabib is getting such grief for throwing kicks and punches outside the ring after the fight when conor's attempt to throw a kick outside the ring before the fight is just dismissed as some sort of prefight hype.

• Upvote 1

Goodness me, that was quite a night! 

Khabib absolutely fucking destroyed him. I had my doubts about how good Khabib really was based upon the level of competition he’d faced so far (and would still like to see how he’d fare against Ferguson) but he humiliated Conor in there and just continues to look like an unstoppable force of destruction with every successive one-sided victory. He’s just terrifying.

Taking nothing away from Khabib’s victory as he was the clearly superior fighter in every aspect and once he starts putting a beating on you there’s seemingly no coming back from it, but that was the worst Conor we’ve ever seen. He looked noticeably slow, flat-footed and lethargic from the start. No bounce to his movement or snap to his punches. It only got predictably worse after he started to take a real pasting in the second and as we’ve seen on multiple occasions now, once he gasses he poses little threat. Just like everyone else who’s faced Khabib he looked so wary of the takedown that he even got outclassed on the feet. The moment Khabib dropped him in the second I knew it was just a matter of time. That was quite a shocking moment when you consider all the pre-fight predictions. Conor actually defended on the ground quite well in the first and all the judges gave him the third but it was a pretty comprehensive humiliation, let’s be honest. We all knew it would be one-sided either way and so it proved. No arguing with that result whatsoever.

Maybe he’s been partying too hard, didn’t have a great camp or the hunger is just no longer quite there now he’s sitting on a mountain of cash but I’m left feeling that Conor probably peaked with the Alvarez performance. He’s called for a rematch already but he doesn’t deserve it at all and Khabib is the clearly superior fighter. Hard to deny that Conor got badly exposed last night, albeit to an opponent who was always likely to be his kryptonite. Really not sure what his next step will be and it will be interesting to see how he responds to being humiliated in such stark fashion. Maybe he just rides off into the sunset with all of his money but we’ll probably end up with some absurd situation where Khabib is stripped and Conor ends up fighting Ferguson for the vacant title or something. 

As for the post-fight clusterfuck, well that was just depressing to see but I predicted something like that would happen. I was just waiting for it. The build-up to this fight was genuinely nasty and if McGregor is going to cross the lines of insulting an opponent’s family, country and culture, not to mention attacking buses like a two-bit thug, then emotionally-charged responses of that sort are almost inevitable. That’s not to diminish the stupidity of Khabib’s actions and the thoroughly unsavoury spectacle that ensued. The guy’s a prick in his own way (I don’t buy his pious, respectful shtick for one second) but people from that part of the world really do not fuck about if you disrespect them to that degree. You reap what you sow and the UFC must shoulder some of the blame for ratcheting up and utilising the deeply unpleasant animosity in the lead-up to this fight and exploiting it for marketing purposes. The whole thing leaves a very sour taste in the mouth and is an appalling advert for a sport that is still seeking mainstream legitimacy.

On a lighter note: Derrick Lewis’ victory snapped from the jaws of defeat was good fun and his post-fight interview was hilarious! El Cucuy v Pettis was a fantastic fight too.

What a crazy sport this is.

• Upvote 5

Unless Conor adds something major to his game, he's like a more mobile Derrick Lewis for me: great chin, and if he connects with that big punch it's over... but that's about it.

I think that the winner of Ferg/Khabib would have a decent claim on being the LW GOAT.

In many ways Conor and Ronda Rousey are very similar, they both arrived at the time where the sport was desperate for somebody to fill a role and be the face of things, something they both did brilliantly in their own way. They needed to not fail drug tests, win in enough style, and then talk a great game (something very few other fighters manage)

Neither are by any means the greatest of mixed martial artists, but managed to leverage the talents they did have into some very respectable wins (i.e. the aren't just marketed personalities alone like Paige Van Zant or that skinny little muscle bound Sage bloke) and an overall persona and income level that other more skilled fighters won't get anywhere near.

This fight had no need at all for a rematch on basis of what happened in the ring, now they'll be hard pressed not to do it again on the commercial aspect alone.

• Upvote 1

It was really weird watching everything play out, like the conversation with Dana about how he wouldn't get his belt presented to him in the cage because of the chaos he caused. Dana's right when he says it's bad for the sport, but he also thinks the bus fiasco was 'part of the storyline' and 'worth it' now. Though, to be fair, he did call it disgusting at the time.

(EDIT: I had a rant about Dana sucking Conor's cock here, but then I realised that my now-ridiculous Khabib bias was showing.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Goodness me, that was quite a night! 

Khabib absolutely fucking destroyed him. I had my doubts about how good Khabib really was based upon the level of competition he’d faced so far (and would still like to see how he’d fare against Ferguson) but he humiliated Conor in there and just continues to look like an unstoppable force of destruction with every successive one-sided victory. He’s just terrifying.

Taking nothing away from Khabib’s victory as he was the clearly superior fighter in every aspect and once he starts putting a beating on you there’s seemingly no coming back from it, but that was the worst Conor we’ve ever seen. He looked noticeably slow, flat-footed and lethargic from the start. No bounce to his movement or snap to his punches. It only got predictably worse after he started to take a real pasting in the second and as we’ve seen on multiple occasions now, once he gasses he poses little threat. Just like everyone else who’s faced Khabib he looked so wary of the takedown that he even got outclassed on the feet. The moment Khabib dropped him in the second I knew it was just a matter of time. That was quite a shocking moment when you consider all the pre-fight predictions. Conor actually defended on the ground quite well in the first and all the judges gave him the third but it was a pretty comprehensive humiliation, let’s be honest. We all knew it would be one-sided either way and so it proved. No arguing with that result whatsoever.

Maybe he’s been partying too hard, didn’t have a great camp or the hunger is just no longer quite there now he’s sitting on a mountain of cash but I’m left feeling that Conor probably peaked with the Alvarez performance. He’s called for a rematch already but he doesn’t deserve it at all and Khabib is the clearly superior fighter. Hard to deny that Conor got badly exposed last night, albeit to an opponent who was always likely to be his kryptonite. Really not sure what his next step will be and it will be interesting to see how he responds to being humiliated in such stark fashion. Maybe he just rides off into the sunset with all of his money but we’ll probably end up with some absurd situation where Khabib is stripped and Conor ends up fighting Ferguson for the vacant title or something. 

This is all on point. Props to DC also to keep the tempers in check. A rematch seems bonkers though. Khabib v St-Pierre next surely. 

I think khabib Ferguson should happen needs to happen before any gsp superfight. 

I also think that gsp is going to go real quiet about fighting at lightweight now. 

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah they scripted that...

Wtf are you talking about ?

That is the opinion of someone who has never watched MMA in their life... Or possibly just Conor fights. The post fight events were absolutely shocking and pretty much a new low for top-level MMA. The fact that the crowd's reaction was murmuring rather than kicking off should tell you no-one in MMA condones this.

My pre fight thoughts that this would be Conor's Rousey moment and I think it will prove to be correct. I didn't see it being Khabib's Daley moment though! Having said that, Conor has been on a dickhead streak over the last 2 years so it's hard to portray him as a saint now. Tony needs a proper title shot ASAP.

• Upvote 1

I hope the idiotic media doesnt go mental about mma is for thugs and idiots. If it had been a football match it would have been way worse with everyone getting stuck in. Or even a town centre on saturday night, worse things happen. It doesnt excuse anything and the fact its so rare and out of character for mma events and fighters is shown in the reaction of media an the public. The BBC are hand-wringers in chief butthey were broadcasting the event so they'll keep quiet hopefully.

I liked it in the same way I enjoy a punch up in a football game. But people still deserve to be punished for it and saying it was staged is nonsense, especially as Danis is a Bellator fighter.

What a night! 

Loved every bit of it tbh. Conor got humbled in a major way, Dillon got eagled which was a nice touch. 

I was expecting more "face changing" from Khabib, and in that regard Conor did defend well early on. But in the end, he really was outclassed by Khabib. Did anyone catch Conor telling Khabib during the fight "its all business", as if pleading for Khabib not to completely 'smesh'? :D 

I hate when trash-talkers say "its just for hype" or "its business". I agree up to a point but you cant say horrible shit about a fighters family and religion, then not expect someone like Khabib whose whole life is religion and family to punish them for it. 

Anyway theres been brief bits on 5Live and the usual "boxing breeds discipline and this wasnt a fight, all hugging, ill never watch again" etc all i can say is good, fuck off. 

For some reason (hype, cash, moral bankruptcy), Dana has never punished the likes of Chael, Colby, Conor for racism as a fight promotion tool.

He has significant responsibility here.

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

I was expecting more "face changing" from Khabib, and in that regard Conor did defend well early on. 

EHhVhTS.jpg

• Upvote 2

John Kavanagh and George Lockhart, Conors head coach and nutrionist are on Rogan today.

Apparently UFC are trying to squeeze DC vs Lewis into UFC 230. 

It's already a great card, save for the proposed weird Schevchenko/Eubanks main event. Maybe it's to keep one of the belts active and build DC's reign while they negotiate with Brock, but I hope that Cormier makes it mercifully short. Otherwise it'll be shiiiiiiiit.

3 hours ago, McFly said:

John Kavanagh and George Lockhart, Conors head coach and nutrionist are on Rogan today.

It was yesterday. The first hour is just Lockhart droning on about broscience bullshit but Kavanagh is as engaging as ever and came out with some interesting insights. Pretty honest with the shortcomings of his own strategy for the fight and evidently a great admirer of Khabib's ability.

Reading between the lines I sense that all is not quite rosy in that gym. Conor is so much the alpha-dog in there that I wonder how much he can realistically improve when he's probably clobbering a succession of sub-par training partners and talking shit to anyone who comes through the doors while everyone in there is licking his asshole. I noticed he seemed to completely ignore his corner advice during the fight too. I think deep down Kavanagh must know they have a very slim chance of ever reaching the level of someone like Khabib.

Thatd be good to add in, its not like DC has to cut weight for heavyweight. Maybe Lewis wouldnt be up for it that soon?

Is it fair to say that Conor gave up his back to easily and tapped on a chin choke as a way out of getting his face further smashed? Money already in the bank and all. 

God, I hope they don’t do the rematch but I wouldn’t be surprised with the money involved. 

18 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Is it fair to say that Conor gave up his back to easily and tapped on a chin choke as a way out of getting his face further smashed?

Sssshhh. Don't say anything this controversial unless you WANT a neg storm.

30 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Is it fair to say that Conor gave up his back to easily and tapped on a chin choke as a way out of getting his face further smashed? Money already in the bank and all. 

Maybe but I read it as he was just exhausted and got taken down yet again by a guy whose ground game is far ahead of his and who could have his way with him by that point. A choke doesn't always have to be sunk into the neck and squeezing the carotid arteries to be excruciatingly painful and make you feel like your jaw is going to break and your head be ripped off. That was a really nasty neck-crank. Firas Zahabi's (GSP's coach) post-fight breakdown is worth a watch for some expert insight into the technical aspects of what happened in the fight. 

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Conor knew he was well and truly beaten by that point (everyone else watching certainly did) so there may be something in what you say. He's game and all but his entire modus operandi is based upon bullying his opponent and being the front-runner. He hung in there in Diaz 2 and I guess he came back in the Mendes fight too but if you look at all his recent losses, when he's gassed and getting beaten he does just wilt rapidly under the pressure. He's no Tony Ferguson, that's for sure!

Khabib v Ferguson just has to be made now, doesn't it. Absolute bullshit if they book any other LW title fight than that one. 6 month suspension and fine for Khabib and then hopefully we finally get the fight that everyone wants to see. 

• Upvote 1

I suspect Conor was just knackered, and Khabib could've done whatever he wanted at that point. That wrestling has to be the most oppressive, exhausting experience in the sport.

Also, it was a neck crank rather than a misplaced choke, and they're supposed to hurt like fuck. 

I don't think Conor's got exceptional staying power by UFC standards, but I doubt you need to look for conspiracy here...

EDIT: Exactly what PInholestar wrote, basically :lol:

The neck crank-jaw crush combo is worse than a choke for me, as its super painful and a proper blood choke will have you unconcious in seconds. Id take a RNC over a crank anyday and it avoids any possible longterm neck damage

I reckon Ferguson v McGregor for #1 contender while Khabib is (likely) suspended. Then winner takes on Nurmagomedov. Im sure Dana said he'll never book Tony and Khabib ever again after last time, but he has to surely?

• Empathy 1

Cheers thanks for the insights guys. I was wondering but I’m no MMA expert. 

So where does GSP fit into all of this? 

• Upvote 1