rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

I'll be watching with a group of mates. The circle has got a little smaller over time due to people not being able to hack staying up so late, pretty much. I watched every big boxing PPV this way since I was a little kid so I'm just totally used to it, but I have to say I have really started to struggle to stay up over the past year or so. Maybe we are just getting old, schmojo. 

I used to be able to get away with staying up late and sleeping into the afternoon, but with children, forget about it. I watch on Sunday AM, or if I'm woken up at 4am by a child, I might watch live if it's an event I'm really interested in.

Also, just to give a mention as I enjoy it, I would recommend the Severe MMA podcast. The most recent episode below is co-hosted by Jeremy Botter.

It's very Irish-centric (though not biased in favour of Irish fighters). I signed up to their Patreon and there's some great stuff on there in the lead up to this event. This week they have had subscriber-only podcasts with Ariel Helwani, Patrick Wyman and Luke Thomas which is pretty good for my $5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Also, just to give a mention as I enjoy it, I would recommend the Severe MMA podcast. The most recent episode below is co-hosted by Jeremy Botter.

It's very Irish-centric (though not biased in favour of Irish fighters). I signed up to their Patreon and there's some great stuff on there in the lead up to this event. This week they have had subscriber-only podcasts with Ariel Helwani, Patrick Wyman and Luke Thomas which is pretty good for my $5.

Thanks ill give that a listen, im always on the look out for new podcasts.

Naah thats bollocks, I got as far as "Conor is the same as Germaine de Randamie" there. He maybe a gobshite who does whatever he wants but he has fought Aldo, Holloway, Poirer, Alvarez and is about to get in with Khabib. He ain't afraid of a fight is Conor like GDR was with Cyborg.

It depends on the viewpoint. Conor has transcended titles. I can't blame him for it at all, but the nature of that means that he has diminished the titles he's held (and never defended).

Not to mention starting the trend of challenging for belts in a division you're 0-0 in after zero defenses in your own division.

Dana's done his bit to diminish them too, mind. But GDR is a non-factor. Nobody will even remember her.

For GDR, if she had fought Cyborg and taken a beating shed be more memorable than what she did, nothing.

Weigh-ins tomorrow, the last big hurdle towards the fight.

Just in case you wanted to watch an interview with UFC champ Conor Nurmagomedov :D

• Upvote 1

Has there been any 'build up', 'behind the scenes', 'training' documentaries aired following Khabib or McGregor? Something along the lines of the HBO boxing 24/7 ones

Theres been 3 or 4 embedded eoisodes which are similar. And open workouts from yesterday too.

I wish I didn't find Connor as funny/entertaingin as I do occasionally in press conferences

'you just cook yourself in that sauna you smelly Dagastani rat'

then a load of stuff I don't know the background story for about Khabib's manager being a terrorist and pulled off a flight on 9/11 with multiple passports - don't know if its all made up to sell tickets, they are big claims and leave you open to being sued heavily if not true.

thought he'd been quiet in the embedded vids, he's ramped up the mental warfare late on

From what little I've seen, Khabib seems to have done a great job of foiling Conor by not rising to his sub-playground routine. Hopefully that continues in the cage - Khabib's the bookies' favourite, but not by a lot.

That said, people who love Conor are going to enjoy watching him chat whether or not it lands with the opponent.

Crossing those fingers for the weigh-in later...

I hope Khabib gets starched, and rooting for Tony F in the co-main event.

I'd love to see a Conor Ferguson fight.

I think the belt matters far more to Khabib than Conor, without the belt he's back in the pack and the interest in him is next to nothing, even if Conor loses whoever he fights next will still be one of if not the biggest PPV of the year. Financially he's the guy who gets his opponents paid. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

looks like the Eleven Sports rights deal in UK is official for 3y, with them looking to go PPV for select events.

that's awful news. 

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/eleven-replaces-bt-ufc-broadcaster-uk-and-ireland-0

Fuck me :( IMGs owners also own this company what a surprise they got the rights. Will we be able to watch this crap via Sky or what?

EDIT: It seems we will Sky or BT ppv and two new channels will be available. December the 3rd is dooms day

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I hope Khabib gets starched, and rooting for Tony F in the co-main event.

I'd love to see a Conor Ferguson fight.

I think the belt matters far more to Khabib than Conor, without the belt he's back in the pack and the interest in him is next to nothing, even if Conor loses whoever he fights next will still be one of if not the biggest PPV of the year. Financially he's the guy who gets his opponents paid. 

I'd be interested to see if a couple of losses on the bounce would even hurt Conor's stock much. I've never seen him as the #1 fighter in any division, and the buyrates for the Diaz fights proved that the general public don't care about that either.

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

I wish I didn't find Connor as funny/entertaingin as I do occasionally in press conferences

'you just cook yourself in that sauna you smelly Dagastani rat'

then a load of stuff I don't know the background story for about Khabib's manager being a terrorist and pulled off a flight on 9/11 with multiple passports - don't know if its all made up to sell tickets, they are big claims and leave you open to being sued heavily if not true.

thought he'd been quiet in the embedded vids, he's ramped up the mental warfare late on

I somehow ended up watching a video of a guy talking in detail about all of Connors comments at the press conference, he explains quite a lot about Khabibs Manager, link below if your interested! Seems its all true

• Upvote 2

They both made weight.....lets get it on!

I might actually get up and watch it live but chances are itd be circa 5am and thats too early. If it was 6 - 630 id try it but i just dont trust Sky Q to work as its been removing things from my planner for no reason.

I reckon Conor steams out and throws a wheelkick, Khabib takes him down and the pummeling commences.

The athletic commission disclosed pay shows you how much Connor raises his opponents pay - Tony Ferguson is picking up $150k whilst Khabib gets a stonking $2m, with Conor on $3m (this of course doesn't account for sponsorships on top and the famous points on the PPV, which I am sure Conor will nab far more of than anybody else).

Unless Khabib rematches Conor he'll never see that level of pay cheque ever again. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/5/17943778/ufc-229-salaries-conor-mcgregor-khabib-nurmagomedov-earn-seven-figure-paydays

Ceremonial weigh-ins got a little lively with Conor throwing a kick at Khabib and generallly a bit of a rammy.

They are, and they're boring.

Sadly though, it feels like most of the audience will hate a great fighter if they don't do the pantomime bullshit because they have 'no personality'.

Yeah. A proper staredown wouldve been great. A chance to really get a look at them up close but thats "meh" or dull to the Tapout crew. Anyway its starting to feel a lot like christmas... :D

The Khabib background stuff doesn’t sound great. I used to be a Conor fan but he just seems a bit of a dick. I think really I’d like to go with Ferguson’s hope that they knock each other out but otherwise I hope Khabib destroys Conor. 

Man, Khabib is going to maul Conor isnt he? 

I am heading to work early so cant watch the fights live, will have to completely shut everything until I get back home at 6PM to watch the whole card. It usually works ok but the level of media involvement in this fight makes me almost sure I will get the results spoiled. 

Whatever happens, it is one hell of a card. 

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It usually works ok but the level of media involvement in this fight makes me almost sure I will get the results spoiled. 

Even BBC Radio 5 are broadcasting the fights live, for the 3rd time ever iirc so even the BBC in all its forms will be risky for omg!!  spoilerz!

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Whatever happens, it is one hell of a card. 

Copy that. I wasnt too impressed intially but some good solid fights.

• Upvote 1