Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

This is entirely and shamelessly stolen from the UG, but to save you guys the experience of going there:

Frank Mir recently appeared on FUEL TV's UFC Tonight and discuss Alistair Overeem, Cain Velasquez, and Junior Dos Santos.

On Alistair Overeem.

"I think this is the first time that he's ever come up positive at tests, as far as I'm aware of. It seems like he had a viable explanation for what happened.

"Everybody makes mistakes. We all do things that we're not proud of. We've all made mistakes professionally or in our personal life that are not our greatest moments in life.

"To sit there and ostracize somebody and never allow them to redeem themselves, I think would be very against humanity and our overall impression that I try to carry as a person.

"You know, he goes out there and he follows all the stringent testing the athletic commission is probably gonna put ahead of him and all the hoops he's gonna have to jump through. As long as he does those things, then yeah, I'll see him back in there. He's a fierce competitor. We've seen what he did with Brock. I'd hate to lose him and not have him in the Octagon or as a competitor in the heavyweight division, due to something outside the Octagon."

On fighting Junior Dos Santos instead of Cain Velasquez

"I thought that I'd have to go through Cain first. Being given this opportunity right now, I just feel ecstatic. Everything it means to me and my family, it's been nothing but a positive thing."

"In reality, dos Santos is a much better boxer. Obviously, he's probably the best boxer in the division. But that's all he really comes at you with is just the hands.

"Cain also poses a lot of problems. I also think Cain's a very decent boxer himself. His one mark on him was in his last fight. He got caught by dos Santos, and everybody seems to have a real short memory. They forget about all the other knockouts and all the other things he's done on his feet, prior to that fight. But at the same time, when you're fighting with Cain, while you're worrying about getting kicked and punched, he can shoot and take you down.

"So, dos Santos is more of a single threat, even though that single threat is much larger itself, but he doesn't have the multiple areas of offense that Velasquez has."

Does Dos Santos think about Mir breaking Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's arm?

"I can't imagine that he has outside sources that are focusing him in that manner where he's trying to avenge his master. There's not gonna be a theme on the night of the 26th. I think he wants to go out there and defend his title and prove that he's the best in the world."

"I do think though that if it hits the ground, that has to weigh in his head a little bit. The guy who he's rolled around with who's far more superior to him in jiu-jitsu is a guy that I submitted last."

Here's a link to the original article:

I saw it on dvd and brock really nails him with elbows Matt Hughes or Jon Jones would be proud of, it was crazy. He also did a Mir on HHHs arm :lol:

Cant wait for the card this weekend, looks like a cracker, anyone want to bet that Palhares wrecks Belchers knee? He seems to have a habit of crippling people with his heel hooks i just hope they arent shit loads of adverts and they show more than the 3 main fights. Or it will be piracy ahoy.

Thought tonight's fight on TUF was excellent.

Our boy Andy Ogle from Newcastle beat Mike Rio in a great performance. Moved well and landed what looked like most of his strikes. His wrestling in the second round surprised I think even Rio, to switch from being mounted to holding the mount himself then taking his back and choking him out was impressive. Lawrence vs Chiesa in the quarter finals next week should be awesome.

Thought tonight's fight on TUF was excellent.

Our boy Andy Ogle from Newcastle beat Mike Rio in a great performance. Moved well and landed what looked like most of his strikes. His wrestling in the second round surprised I think even Rio, to switch from being mounted to holding the mount himself then taking his back and choking him out was impressive. Lawrence vs Chiesa in the quarter finals next week should be awesome.

Yeah it was a great fight,

Rio seemed like he was going to tap when Ogle was striking him on the ground just before the choke went in, but he might have been brushing his hair back.

I haven't seen it yet mate :( Someone on here very kindly hooked me up with a place to grab this stuff but I've been so busy I haven't gotten around to it. No doubt everyone at BJJ training today will be going on about it too.

Glad to hear about

Diaz winning again. His last two performances were outstanding in my opinion. He seems to be in his prime at the moment.

I also heard Palhares lost after Belcher escaped his dreaded leg locks. I have a soft spot for Palhares, which I really shouldn't considering his behaviour. There's just something about his BJJ style which I like. He's like the Hulk doing BJJ.

Which one is that Streets? If you're interested about the technical stuff then Ryron and Rener Gracie usually release a Youtube video breaking down what happens at UFC events from a BJJ perspective. Here's the one on Mir breaking Nog's arm for example:

And here's Jacare just running through people.

EDIT: Double0, looking forward to it. You roll a bit don't you?

• Upvote 1

ah, link to the video Nathan Wind posted - wouldn't embed. it just so great man. i've grown up scrambling out of awkward positions fighting my brothers, just reminds me of that mess and scrambling into a position when you see an opening - i know that's not the half of it, no where near a 1/100th of the fucker but i just remember the quick reaction to the opportunity. i think it looks like a brilliant sport. will check those vids, ta. do you practice it monkichi?

I do BJJ at least once a week and I also do Judo, although recently I’ve been really concentrating on BJJ. I’ve always enjoyed wrestling around with friends from a very young age and the big brother scramble that you mention is definitely part of BJJ and practically any grappling sport. As you get better though your movements are more calculated and you become used to certain positions. When I started I was only really aware of being on my back or on top of someone. As you become better you become really familiar with certain positions, so when you’re on your back but you have an over/under grip you know you had different options to when you’re on your back holding the opponent’s wrists to when you’re on your back in a closed guard to when you’re on your back in an open guard etc. It’s like a choose your path adventure and you’re constantly assessing what your options are and also what your opponent may be up to. For example you may see he’s trying to position himself for a certain sweep or to advance to a certain position, so you try and cut that off, but then realise you were just being bated and you’ve now given up your arm etc.

It’s massively technical at the higher levels and rolling with a black belt is so different than rolling with a white belt. White belts like me still use a lot of actual strength to defend and attack. Higher level guys usually manoeuvre into positions where they have optimum leverage at all times, meaning they are expending as little energy as possible to keep their position. It becomes a different game really and it’s hard to brute force moves on them. It becomes a bit like wrestling quicksand, and you can just feel that for every move you make you’re just getting deeper and deeper into shit haha. It’s good fun though, and when you first pull off a perfect sweep and your opponent feels weightless it’s very addictive. It’s also satisfying to pull off something you see in the UFC. For example I watched a match the other month where Palhares when from back control to an armbar in one move. I watched it again and again seeing what he did, and then last week I find myself in the exact same position during sparring. I go for the move and it comes out (in a slightly shabby, sloppy way, but it comes out) and I get a tap. That feeling is so good. Keep in mind you’re going 100% at times so it becomes like a genuine fight for your life. As Rogan describes it, you’re basically agreeing to grapple with someone to the point where one of you has to tell the other to stop or one of your limbs breaks/you pass out. There’s something inherently thrilling in that, in both seeking to get to that position where your opponent is saying “stop or you’re break me” but also in being put in that position yourself. Maybe I’m just a sado masochist.

Here’s a guy breaking down the basics:

This is a flow drill:

It's really important (for me at least) to find a group you really get along with. I really like the people I train with, and considering I'm trusting them not to break my limbs I think it's important. You don't want to roll with someone who gives out shitty vibes when you tap them or who gets frustrated and starts lashing out.

• Upvote 1

wicked post. i was pretty much thinking at the time of the guy's mention about the hips and the elbow in that second video, that it's a very mechanical sport at its core. almost like chess. dope you posted the Mir - Nog submission to, I remember seeing that during the event and just thinking "what the hell did i just watch?". i'm really stoked! judo seems a good move, too. the physicality, weight distribution. great stuff. thanks a bunch man.

Find a club near you and just go watch a session, see if you like it. There’s a lot of crossover between Judo and Jiujitsu however they do have a different feel to them. Judo has a far more technical standing game because you can win a match from a standing throw. On the flip side with BJJ you really just want to get the other guy onto the matt but also most importantly you want to end up in an advantageous position when you get there. In Judo some of the high scoring throws actually result in you ending up in a bit of a shit position frankly.

When things eventually hit the ground in Judo you can go for a hold-down in addition to a submission. A hold-down is where you pin your opponent’s back to the matt for a set period (20 seconds). However once it hits the ground you have around 5 seconds to advance your position or both of you are stood up, so it’s very common for people to “turtle” and ride out those 5 seconds. You do this by giving up your back though. In BJJ you don’t get stood up and you can’t win on just the throw, so the dynamic is quite different. You would never really give up your back for example, and the other person is always going for a submission. There’s an actual pace to the groundwork as opposed to Judo’s pace which is an explosive attempt to sub the person and then if you miss that attempt you get tangled and stood up. Without this in BJJ you can get just continual attempts on the same limb/same sub and you can really try and grind a win on the ground.

So yeah, just check out some online vids and pop into your local place and get a feel for it. Some people prefer one to the other, for me it depends on my mood. Both are fantastic ways to keep fit and supple by the way. I bend in ways I didn’t think possible now and it helped me a lot to get into shape. Bad side is that whilst you shouldn’t worry about someone ripping your arm Mir-style they’re both still contact sports and they come with all the joys (injuries) that come with that. Be prepared to look like a victim of domenstic abuse with finger-shaped bruises on your neck and arms. I’m currently sporting a bruised nose too after taking someone’s back and them deciding the best way to escape is roll with me on them. They basically just steamrolled my face.

• Upvote 1

Jits is fantastic and I really, really miss it. You need to give it a lot of time and commitment to get good, but it's hugely rewarding. You learn so much in the first couple of years - the journey to blue belt is just awesome. With running a stand-up club now, I sadly don't have the time for it any more, and while the system we coach contains some very basic elements of grappling, we're more self defence oriented these days. If I wasn't doing that though, as well as running a growing business, I'd absolutely still be rolling. The annoying thing is, I have £300s worth of gi's and rash guards sat in the spare room doing nothing :(

• Upvote 1

Only just heard Dominick Cruz is injured and Urijah Faber will fight for an interim championship. Who's he likely to face? Quite gutted to be honest, Cruz has absolutely no personality on TUF and everyone likes Faber, right?

The annoying thing is, I have £300s worth of gi's and rash guards sat in the spare room doing nothing :(

Doing nothing? You should just randomly walk around the house pretending you're the BJJ version of Robocop.

BJJ is amazing fun and it will certainly keep your ego in check in the beginning getting tapped reguarly can suck but if you have a good group its all in good fun and they shouldnt be too arsey about it. Havent rolled for a few years due to too many health issues and i miss it.

• 3 weeks later...