IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

Goose

Back from seeing it and I loved it from start to finish but judging from some of the posts maybe I saw a more complete version than others, because the "plot holes" and "inconsistencies" that seem to be raising people's ire, never registered once to me. Everything that happened was either explained and alluded to by the characters in this film or had been established by other characters in the previous films.

Very true, actually. Though the film is quite far fetched (being a Batman film and all), it is internally consistant with its own logic.

Back from seeing it and I loved it from start to finish but judging from some of the posts maybe I saw a more complete version than others, because the "plot holes" and "inconsistencies" that seem to be raising people's ire, never registered once to me. Everything that happened was either explained and alluded to by the characters in this film or had been established by other characters in the previous films.

Agree 100%

When I was leaving the theater I was so excited to talk about this with other people and to see what was online and honestly these so called concerns about it have me feeling slightly dumbstruck. People are talking like Brett Ratner made this or something. Were people just wanting one last nerdgasm of watching a day in the life of Batman? How he got back into the city wasn't important or part of the story Nolan was interested in telling. The point was "hes back" and that's all that was needed.

You know when something is just so good and you're so emotionally overloaded from it that you cant stop yourself from crying? Yeah, I did that more than once during Batman on Sunday. It was an incredible thing to watch and im saddened that alot of people here just didnt get that.

Rise of the Strawman.

Boomeh, some people here, including myself, were just disappointed with the film, for reasons we've explained. I didn't really care for most of the characters here, and those I did seemed less well explored than in the previous two films. Also there weren't so many (or any) great action scenes, or sense of... well, read the earlier posts. The film's not rubbish, but coming after the trajectory of the previous two I personally felt it wasn't up to their standard. Big investment in the series equals big disappointment when that happens. Obviously, not everyone felt the same way.

For the people who can't seem to quantify how he got back into the city all I'll say is think back to Begins. How does a guy living off of a finite trust fund get enough money to buy a majority of stock and buy his company back? Because he's BRUCE FUCKIN' WAYNE, a hyper intelligent billionaire who has lots and lots of hidden assets dotted around the world that he can call on in a short time frame. Deal with it.

I had my share of problems with the plot while watching the movie, but Bruce getting back into Gotham was not one of them. He's BATMAN.

And now after reading this thread that gut response is reinforced with logic, in the form of his "mind your surroundings" thin ice training from the first movie. Which makes it all that much cooler.

I think the problem with the getting back to Gotham thing is that passage of time isn't particularly well conveyed. They do mention on dialogue how long the timescales in question are but the way it's filmed does make it appear that he managed to get back in the space of an afternoon and not weeks. It wasn't a huge problem with the film for me, but I can see why it it's something that's being brought up.

I think the problem with the getting back to Gotham thing is that passage of time isn't particularly well conveyed. They do mention on dialogue how long the timescales in question are but the way it's filmed does make it appear that he managed to get back in the space of an afternoon and not weeks. It wasn't a huge problem with the film for me, but I can see why it it's something that's being brought up.

Yeah. In fairness, out of all the problems mentioned Bruce getting back to Gotham isn't one of them. Yes, it was slightly jarring just to see him appear but the character was more than capable of achieving that feat.

Looking back over it all, I find it amazing that over the course of three films we've gotten:

* A thorough examination of Bruce Wayne, and a fitting end for him

* Alfred, Jim Gordon, Ra's al Ghul, the Scarecrow, the Joker, Harvey Dent, Selina Kyle, Bane, Talia al Ghul, a composite Robin, Carmine Falcone, Sal Maroni, Joe Chill, and in most cases essentially true and respectful interpretations to boot

We've also had bit parts for Victor Zsasz in Batman Begins and Edward Nigma in Dark Knight and a hint at Killer Croc in Rises.

I think Redlettermedias review - that of looking at the 3rd film through the lens "like a fairly tale" is nicely apt for how this film chooses focus over the framework that puts these characters together and more about the emotional journey of those characters instead.

Its enough to see Batman returning out of the mist because he's beaten the pit, he accepts the jump without a rope and thereby reclaims his faith. The character is back, so let there by an ambiguity in how this happens because its not significant over the characters emotional journey.

Its such an odd thing to choose to represent the failings of the film aswell. You guys know theres a scene during the wall street heist where day turns into night in a matter of minutes? Does it matter? Its an oddity in a filn of this budget but beyond that? Nope its trivia. Its the Stormtrooper in a New Hope walking into a door.

To be honest chaps, even I would say that's reading too much into it, Coleman Reece wasn't the Riddler. There's hints & subtext then there's outright insanity and that's firmly the latter.

Though possible I'm not really convinced about the Croc one either (it's a staple sewer-related gag since that crappy 80s film) but I did forget all about Zsasz, though.

Saw it yesterday in Imax and I loved it, the other two are some of my favourite films of all time so I knew I was not going into this one and feel disappointment. I'm not sure where I would rank the films in order, will have to see this one a few more times.

It isn't perfect, I wasn't too keen on the first act, well up until Batman returned but the rest and the ending is superb, an emotionally draining climax which made me love the film so much more.

The first Batman/Bane fight was brutal, one of the my favourite scenes in the film and at times I was questioning how this film is a 12A. The violence in this is quite strong, Batman punched in the head, back broke, Bane breaking two guy's necks, it's relentless.

I liked that it had more similarities to Begins, going back to the character study of Bruce Wayne. I liked the fact Batman wasn't in it that much, makes his scenes when he is, more powerful. Two instances when he returns and you want to shout fuck yes when he appears on screen.

A very dark, bleak but perfect conclusion to possibly my favourite trilogy of all time.

I think Redlettermedias review - that of looking at the 3rd film through the lens "like a fairly tale" is nicely apt for how this film chooses focus over the framework that puts these characters together and more about the emotional journey of those characters instead.

Its enough to see Batman returning out of the mist because he's beaten the pit, he accepts the jump without a rope and thereby reclaims his faith. The character is back, so let there by an ambiguity in how this happens because its not significant over the characters emotional journey.

Its such an odd thing to choose to represent the failings of the film aswell. You guys know theres a scene during the wall street heist where day turns into night in a matter of minutes? Does it matter? Its an oddity in a filn of this budget but beyond that? Nope its trivia. Its the Stormtrooper in a New Hope walking into a door.

The initial scene has traders active in the not-Wall Street exchange, so needs to be set at day; not long after, Batman needs to escape into the darkness of the night, so it has to be night time. It is an oversight.

Though possible I'm not really convinced about the Croc one either (it's a staple sewer-related gag since that crappy 80s film)

There's also the fact that Batman: Gotham Knight features the short In Darkness Dwells, which features Killer Croc. Whilst the story isn't meant to be taken as Canon in the Nolanverse, it could easily be a reference to that.

Did anyone else cringe, when Bane says to Bats, that he's come back to die with his city and Bats replies with "NO! I came back to stop YOU!"(or thereabouts)?

That demanded a zinger of a one-liner, but no, it fell flat on it's arse as it was delivered by someone that sounded like they were out of breath, after running for the bus.

There's also the fact that Batman: Gotham Knight features the short In Darkness Dwells, which features Killer Croc. Whilst the story isn't meant to be taken as Canon in the Nolanverse, it could easily be a reference to that.

I think the line is simply there to say 'the cops didn't take Blake seriously/were making fun of him'