IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

Goose

People who loved the previous two didn't go in wanting to dislike it. They didnt like it for very sound reasons listed elsewhere in this thread.

Nolan didn't make a batman film, it was like that was below him.

He's already made a Batman film, though. This was about Bruce Wayne and Gotham City. I can understand why people might want Batman to feature more in a Batman film but other than that I find it hard to see where all the negativity is coming from.

Is it flawed? Sure. Is it unbalanced? Sure. Does it occasionally drop a few of the (many, perhaps too many) balls it is trying to juggle? Absolutely. But there are many, many moments of brilliance in this film, and a couple of sequences of such sustained quality that on more than one occasion I felt like spontaneously cheering or applauding.

[Edited to avoid confusion]

Well said!

I'm not sure either why some people are so concerned with proving that other people's reaction to a film is "wrong" (Rudderless' comment being staggeringly arrogant) instead of just sharing what they got from the experience.

I'm one of the 'joyless fucks' that booked the day off work, got up at 3am in order to make a 5am showing, drove 45 minutes there, 45 minutes back and paid over £13 for the privilege just so I could be a bit negative on the internet about it. :rolleyes:

I wonder what it is about these Nolan Batman films that brings out such strange defensiveness in people?

I've been keeping my eye on this thread since its release just to see people's opinions and to try and judge whether it'll be worth my while seeing and, for the most part, there have been plenty of balanced views for both people liking it and not. It's just that some people really take offence at some of the more negative reviews, but I'm baffled as to why.

Anyway, I doubt I'm going to bother now until it gets a home release. From what I've read, it seems like its another character focussed film, where I really would have like a more action based finale. It's no big deal though, it's not like it's been my favourite film series.

Now, I really, really enjoyed the film (as did the lads I saw it with) when I watched it last Friday. Enough that I'm hoping to see it again next weekend. There were a few holes, I guessed the, er, 'twist' from the off, and the pacing was off in places but for the most part I loved it. Certainly prefer it to Begins, not sure how I'd rank it against TDK just yet.

However, some people need to get over themselves. Particularly people who make comments like this:

As above I'm not a huge fan of Kermode but he just nailed it and made all the people who went in wanting to not like it so they could rush to the internet and post spoilers and tell everyone why they thought it was "the worst of the three" look like the wanks they are. Yes I do mean 99% of this thread.

I mean, fuck. People didn't like it. This doesn't mean that they were trying to dislike it, or deserve to be insulted for disliking it. Be happy that you enjoyed it and leave it at that (or post about how much you enjoyed it), yeah?

Hang about, this is the third film in a trilogy? What was the first one? I thought this was the second film, the first one being the one with Heath Ledger in (which was alright, but nothing special).

For me one of the oddest things about the film structurally is that we essentially get two prolonged runs in the film dealing with the same arc of Batman/Bruce being injured and out of the game, knowing that his city needs him and overcoming personal and external obstacles and returning, culminating in him taking out hapless thugs while onlooker(s) stare in awe.

:lol:

I know. It's fucking crazy, isn't it? I've been on the receiving end of it a few times because of these films now and I'm still no wiser about hy they make people act so strangely.

I think we can all agee it's a Marmite film. Forum seems split equally along Marmite lines.

It's very interesting to see the really mixed reaction to this, on here and with my friends/folk from work. I remember The Dark Knight getting almost universal praise from everyone I know but a good friend, who's a much bigger Batman fan than me, messaged me last night telling me he thought it was a load of shit which really surprised me tbh. He felt a lot stronger about it than I did too, I just disliked certain elements but overall liked it whilst he near enough hated it.

Well said!

I'm not sure either why some people are so concerned with proving that other people's reaction to a film is "wrong" (Rudderless' comment being staggeringly arrogant) instead of just sharing what they got from the experience.

Hey, I'm not saying people are wrong for not liking it at all - I just wouldn't do that. I'm merely showing my love for that particular bit in the spoiler tag. The italics should have made it clear it was tongue-in-cheek and I was only using it to refer to that particular scene. I cheerfully admitted it was flawed and unbalanced. I'm not blind to its issues, although I'm a little surprised some people are quite so down on it. I certainly wouldn't suggest people were actively going out of their way to dislike it, as others have suggested.

I loved it, it lived up to the hype for me unlike Promethesus or Avengers. Watching the previous 2 films did help and I'm a huge comic nerd as well.Ido agree with Boozy has said though, however, people on Rllmuk are a lot smarter here than the rest of the Internet.

Hang about, this is the third film in a trilogy? What was the first one? I thought this was the second film, the first one being the one with Heath Ledger in (which was alright, but nothing special).

Assuming you're not pulling our collective leg. Batman Begins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/

If you have Lovefilm it's available to watch on their streaming system (it's probably on Netflix as well).

I would like to write a proper review thing but I've got an awful sore throat and can't be bothered so I'll just do some bullet points instead. No, bat points, I'll call them bat points.

POWW! - I loved all the little references to the comic books and was glad to see that it was a proper continuation of the stories told in BB and TDK; the little shots of Two Face made me smile.

KERSPLAT! - I was never a fan of Bane from the comics/cartoon and he didn't make much of an impact on me, but I liked the beatdown he gave Batman in the middle of the film. DAT KNEEDROP! I thought his voice was a bit like a punch and judy man at some points so I nearly burst out laughing when he said 'It's behind you..' outside City Hall.

KRONKK! - Christian Bale did a damn good job in this one but his batvoice reached a nadir during his last scene with Bane; it was like Tom Waits having a shout off with James Mason.

BLAMMO! - I thought Catwoman was really well done and Hathaway was probably the best thing in it.

HEDGEPIG! - As well as Joseph Gordon Levitt, who was the most interesting character in the film. He must've done a good job as I usually don't like watching him - he has cruel, cold eyes and the smirk of a dangerous thug.

OWW MY KNEEEES! - I liked following the plot, working out all the little details in my head, but for some reason I never felt engaged or moved by the film until right at the very end when we get the wrap-up. There was nothing in this that rivalled the tension I felt in TDK whenever the Joker appeared or the goosebumps I got during Two Face's final scene with Gordon.

KERRUNCH! - I really enjoyed the big action finale, it felt like a good Bond movie at that point although I kept laughing at the incredibly dangerous neutron bomb being bashed into walls and scraped along the floor by the Bat. I was a litle disappointed by the big fight between everyone before that as it looked like it was going to be MASSIVE from the behind the scenes stuff and trailers but it seemed a lot smaller and all Batman had to do was take a couple of minutes to fight his way up some steps.

KRRAPP! - Compared to the other two films I felt that the dialogue was much more natural and the action was easier to follow - which seems odd considering a lot of other people feel exactly the opposite - but the story came across as more lightweight than TDK. I am willing to put this down to both tiredness (I saw it at an 11pm screening in a mostly empty cinema) and also I've had an extremely emotional weekend anyway so what was onscreen just couldn't top it.

PARRRP! - I was never bored though, it all seemed very well put together and the action was great.

SPROINK! - Talia came as no surprise to me as she'd been comprehensively spoiled for me by some of the aforementioned behind the scenes stuff and speculation, but I was not expecting the AWESOME LIAM NEESON CAMEO.

CARAMELLO! - LOVED the scarecrow cameo, but I wish he'd have put his mask on for a bit.

WUDD! - When Alfred started talking about his little cafe experience I knew exactly what the ending would be, and thus never expected Bruce to actually be dead.

BARRRFFF! - Morgan Freeman has a gammy left hand.

So I thought it was really, really damn good but not as good as the other two.

I really enjoyed it.

Bit clunky at the start when they were establishing the current situation with Bruce Wayne and Gotham, and I thought the Alfred scenes and Blake's speech about being an orphan were all excruciating, but it really started firing once Batman was sent off to the big hole in foreign lands. Bane was seriously menacing, the League of Shadows plot was suitably grand and comic-y and stupid, the Talia twist was terrific...they were a decent enough alternative to Joker for finishing the trilogy anyway, which is the main thing I was worried about going in. Way preferred Bats having these two chicks as love interests than the watery bints from the first two films. Loved the ending, for all the characters, but especially Robin in the Batcave. Just makes me want more.

Just got back from it and the warm glow of watching something truly earth shattering hasn't left me yet. I don't mind admitting that there were moments where I was crying with joy at how astonishing things were. Something that could engage you at an emotional aswell as an intellectual level, along with this degree of spectacle is something magical. Kermodes thoughts that this owes a thanks to Inception with its interpretation of memory and dreams was bang on aswell and I left the theater with a huge smile on my face.

There are things that will divide people, with a nagging doubt of imperfection here or there, but it honestly feels like you're in the hands of someone who loves cinema, is at their peek of potential and wants nothing more than to invite you in and enjoy everything as much as he.

I'll make a deal to watch it again before it leaves the cinema.

Between this and Call of Duty: Black Ops II (which helpfully had a trailer before the film trumpeting it was from the writer of the Dark Knight trilogy) can we surmise that David Goyer really, really hates the 99% movement?

So is everyone completely sold on the idea that Bruce Wayne survived then? I wasn't sure whether it was just another version of Alfred's fantasy, because when we last see Batman in the cockpit the timer is virtually at zero and I'm sure there wasn't enough time for him to eject and get a safe distance from the enormous blast radius.

Was I the only person who wanted the last shot of the trilogy to be Gordon on the roof switching on the signal and Blake showing up in the costume? I just wanted one shot of Blake as the 'new' Batman. Possibly with Gordon telling him about a new gangster in town who was calling himself Penguin

I find with some Nolan films (TDK, Inception and TDKR) that he spends too much time looking at the big picture that he forgets the little things and these films end up feeling clunky and somewhat disjointed. I love his films on initial viewing but start to feel irritated the more i think about them. Memento and The Prestige are my favourite Nolan films as they seem tighter films overall.

Between this and Call of Duty: Black Ops II (which helpfully had a trailer before the film trumpeting it was from the writer of the Dark Knight trilogy) can we surmise that David Goyer really, really hates the 99% movement?

Yeah, I've pretty much taken that away from this film and Blops II. Fortunately, that sort of attitude suits Ultra-rich-Genius-Übermensch (aka. Batman) quite well. And is surely a large part of why Frank Miller loves writing the Bat so.

There was loads of applause when the movie finished at the 02 where I watched it. Then when the credits started to roll there was more applause. I think it's safe to say that a lot of people enjoyed the movie!

The trailers that they showed prior to the movie showing were, from what I can recall:

Expendables 2

Bourne Legacy

Total Recall

The Man of Steel

Assassin's Creed 3

BLOPS II

I enjoyed this a lot more than The Avengers, was a suitably epic end to the trilogy. One disappointment for me was it not actually having all that much Batman in it.

Couple of Bane questions (I don't read the comics):

1. Is it known where the 'hell on earth' is supposed to be? Lot of people saying Bane sounded too posh but I was catching some sort of Eastern Bloc/Russian accent?

2. How did he know with such confidence that Bruce was Batman in that first confrontation in the sewers? Did I miss something?