rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

My flatmate said he read an interview with Eckhart where he says that Nolan had the next film mapped out, but with Ledger gone it puts the whole thing into question.

If anyone would rather do no film than a bad film it would be someone like Nolan.

Well... he should rework what he already has with a new villain or a reduced Joker-role. It should be easy to accomplish and if I was him I'd relish the challenge. Unfortunately, it's more likely going to be a disappointing mess a la Spider-man 3 just because studio involvement is going to be much heavier.

I suppose on the one hand, The Dark Knight must have taken up close to three years of his life, what with scripting and such (while I know he didn't write the film he would have been heavily involved I imagine) that perhaps he doesn't want to commit himself for that amount of time again on what will almost certainly have to be a bigger film.

Astute as usual Goose. But, I suspect Nolan is the type of person who sees true value in ones accomplishments in terms of society and culture as a whole, above all else. Past Nolan productions would suggest as much, as well as his manner in general. He's a pro.

Let's see what he can muster for number 3!

Well... he should rework what he already has with a new villain or a reduced Joker-role. It should be easy to accomplish and if I was him I'd relish the challenge. Unfortunately, it's more likely going to be a disappointing mess a la Spider-man 3 just because studio involvement is going to be much heavier.

I'd be surprised if the exact opposite wasn't true.

I'd be surprised if the exact opposite wasn't true.

So... he should start from scratch with a previous villain or an expanded Joker role. This could be difficult and if I was him I'd hate the pressure from fans and the studio. Fortunately, it's more likely going to be a satisfying triumph a la Spiderman 2, just because studio involvement is going to be inexplicably minimal? :D

I can see Bane working slightly differently, with Batman being on the run now he comes in and basically offers to take down the Batman to protect Gotham City, Batman only being able to be taken down by someone like himself and Gotham not realising Bane's a complete maniac to begin with etc. It's the best thing I can think of at the moment anyway, depp as the riddler just feels like it will be too similar to the Joker but without the danger of psychotic violence.

Although being completely calculated would be a good contrast to the Joker's anarchy, and would allow Batman to regain his footing, beat the bad guy and reclaim the faith of the city....although he probably shouldn't be loved by Gotham as he's Batman and Joker was pretty calculating wasn't he?

Hrmmm should I press backspace or press "add reply"? ummm....

I've just got through watching The Dark Knight again and came in to read this thread. Of all the rumours so far, the one I would absolutely hate would be Johnny Depp having any part in it at all, it would ruin everything constructed in the previous films if he came in and hammed it up. Far too many people will be expecting that same over the top, charmless, extremely forced "eccentric" he played in PotC and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and to be honest in that kind of role a character has to have a certain larger than life quality which I don't think Depp knows any other way to play.

They should get Paddy Considine a role, he's got that "underlying menance ready to bubble over at any time" thing perfected

How long before Robin joins Batman?

Unlikely, GK. The director and leading man have both said they don't see the character fitting in and have no intention of using it. A shame in a way, I'd think Carrie Kelly from The Dark Knight Returns could actually work quite well in the context of the two films they've done so far.

I have been thinking about how they could follow up on the Dark Knight and one idea that have is that they could kill off Bruce Wayne by the end of the third film, but before him being killed off he passes down the mantel to a new person who takes over the role of batman. It fits with the whole concept of Batman being more than just a man and instead the persona being an icon, having wayne killed off and someone else successfully becoming batman would cement that and bring it full circle. It would also allow Nolan to properly finish off his Batman trilogy whilst also leaving the series open for Warners to continue with it if they wanted.

Also although it would have been great to have the Joker to be back, tbh I dont think there is any need for him, even if Ledger was still alive. The Joker's story was pretty much done by the end of the Dark Knight and really the Joker had "won" and Batman lost in the end, one way or another. I dont really see how they could bring him back in a really meaningful way without retreading on themes from the Dark Knight. They should either bring on some new villians or concentrate more on Wayne himself with him trying to clear Batmans image in the public whilst also looking for a successor who could carry on the Batman legacy.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is thrilled he's among the names in contention for Batman villain The Penguin, because he has always wanted to play the comic book bad guy.

Despite The Dark Knight star Michael Caine's confirmation that the Capote star has already landed the role, Hoffman insists he's yet to be officially offered the part - but he can't wait for the phone call.

He tells TheStoneReport.com, "I grew up a comic book fan, so I love that stuff. I love going to that stuff. I think what they're doing with that whole Batman story is really true to what that whole Batman thing has always been.

"It's one of the darkest origins of a superhero, to get all nerdy and geeky on you. That character sees his parents gunned down as a young child. I remember when I was a kid reading that story, so seeing it now come to life as the dark tale that it really is intense, really dark, very visceral."

If he lands the role, he'll follow Danny DeVito, who played The Penguin on the big screen in 1992's Batman Returns.

Linky

I suppose penguin could work, but it would have to be incredibly far removed from any previous incarnation of the penguin to fit into Nolan's Batman universe. Perhaps just some hideously disfigured, incredibly tragic figure with whom the viewer can empathise completely, and we watch him become increasingly angry and bitter throughout the movie until he explodes and does something really horrible. I don't think toy trains, evil umbrellas and actual penguin henchmen will cut it.

Also, anyone that thinks for a moment that the third movie a) won't come out and B) won't have the riddler in is a lunatic. From where I'm sitting, Warner would be insane not to captalise on the goodwill and success of TDK, I just hope they retain the same feel of the first two if Nolan pussies out of it. I can think of a few directors who could pull it off, but none would be able to match Nolans great feel for narrative structure. The Riddler will be in there without a doubt, he is by far the most interesting villain left, and the easiest to fit into Nolans world, what with him being a slave to his own OCD mentalism and all. Perhaps Bats could team up with him, seeing as he's on the run and all.

Bane could work, and then they could do the whole 'broken back' storyline, handing over the Batman moniker to a protege, only to have him go wild with power, and then Bruce gets to fight him... etc etc.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is thrilled he's among the names in contention for Batman villain The Penguin, because he has always wanted to play the comic book bad guy.

Despite The Dark Knight star Michael Caine's confirmation that the Capote star has already landed the role, Hoffman insists he's yet to be officially offered the part - but he can't wait for the phone call.

He tells TheStoneReport.com, "I grew up a comic book fan, so I love that stuff. I love going to that stuff. I think what they're doing with that whole Batman story is really true to what that whole Batman thing has always been.

"It's one of the darkest origins of a superhero, to get all nerdy and geeky on you. That character sees his parents gunned down as a young child. I remember when I was a kid reading that story, so seeing it now come to life as the dark tale that it really is intense, really dark, very visceral."

If he lands the role, he'll follow Danny DeVito, who played The Penguin on the big screen in 1992's Batman Returns.

Linky

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

Debunked! Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman told MTV that he's not going to play Oswald Cobblepot. "No one has talked to me about it ever -- never," Hoffman said. "It happened, like, five years ago, too. It was a rumor back then and it's still a rumor. [laughs] It's just in the press. It's funny. I think I'm more interested in seeing someone else do it. I don't know if I'd be a good Penguin to be quite honest."

Link

You gotta love journalism... I will go on record as to suggest that every single line of 'rumour' on the third film so far is completely and utterly made-up

To set the riddler some distance from the previous film's joker, they could make him an methodical, expressionless, glassy-eyed obsessive compulsive or something. I'd like that, and it'd give the actor some room for quirks detail to make the role its own. Otherwise, yeah, I can imagine it being a bit too similar.

Christopher Nolan has said that he is worried that the third Batman movie he directs will not be as good as the previous two.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have both been critical and commercial successes, but Nolan has confessed that he thinks second sequels are normally subpar.

"I don't know why they're hard to do. Maybe there's so much expectation to them. I wouldn't want to do one if it weren't going to be as good as the first or second. That's not respectful to the fans," he told USA Today.

The director added that he does not want the third film in the series to take away from the work he has put into the previous two Batman adventures.

"It was obvious when the box office was so big that we had underestimated how ready fans were to reboot the franchise," he said. "The worst thing you could do now that you've gotten the plane back in the air is mess up the landing."

I'm hoping this is him confirming there will be no third. Give it a rest, try something new Nolan.

I'm hoping this is him confirming there will be no third. Give it a rest, try something new Nolan.

They'll be a third. The only question is if Nolan will be the one helming it. Although I'm inclined to think we won't see it till 2011/2012.

I have been thinking about what enemies of Batman could be used to good effect in the next movie - should it happen.

Bane would obviously be a great character to use especially if the story included Batman being broken by Bane.

David Cane and Lady Shiva could be used or Cain alone for the Bruce Wayne: Murdered storyline. I reckon this would be fantastic and a very good twist on the story so far.

Fuck Deadshot and bring in Deathstroke the Terminator. Have him in all black and include a plot to kill the president in Gotham City etc

The Hush storyline would also be an interesting route to go down.

Bane would obviously be a great character to use especially if the story included Batman being broken by Bane.

I think its too early for Bane. Batman needs to develop and age a bit more.

I think its too early for Bane. Batman needs to develop and age a bit more.

I agree with you which is why Bruce Wayne Murderer would be an interesting route to go down - with him giving up that identity to become full time Batman