rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

Katie Holmes was a bit of a misstep. But he sorted that out.

Also, Jon in general, lol.

I don't think Caine as Alfred works. Perhaps he's too big a name, but it's like the adventures of Batman and Michael Caine at times.

I don't think Caine as Alfred works. Perhaps he's too big a name, but it's like the adventures of Batman and Michael Caine at times.

I really like Caine as Alfred.

No matter how good the third is, the series will always be remembered for its wonderful interpretation of the joker, from such an unexpected actor. It's a perfect bit of leftfield casting and direction.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why Bale gets all the stick for it either. Nolan is the director. He directs the performances.

+1'd for this line alone - kinda similar to how everyone goes on about Storm's "the same thing that happens to anything else" line in X-men.

I just don't get why people have such a hard time with the voice. The guy wants to fight crime as a symbol which strikes fear and dread into his enemies. He dresses up as a fucking bat and flies around with a magic cape and rolls around in a magic tank with a magic bike equipped with magic monster truck wheels. You're all fine with this but he puts on a gruff voice to disguise his identity (and more importantly to add some drama/mystique to the outward appearance of the character he has created, in a bid to make it less identifiable and more symbolic, elemental and fear inducing) and you all have a fit.

It's not the reality of him using a gruff voice people have a problem with, it's the particular voice Bale chose, which makes him sound as if he is speaking whilst wearing a scuba mask that is pinching his nose. Who knows; maybe the mask does in fact pinch his nose. It's one thing to have a scary gruff voice with which to strike fear into the hearts of the bad guys, but he doesn't. He sounds like he's got a bad cold and is in need of some Halls Soothers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, he sounds a lot like he can't breathe out of his nose, to be fair. I thought that in both films. Especially during long or loud lines where he would run out of breath quickly.

When it was announced that Caine was cast, I thought that initially but when you think about it, Alfred is probably the most integral character in Batman's world. He's basically a father figure, a mentor, a medic and a loyal servant all in one.

In the comics, of everyone in Batman's circle of trust, it's Alfred who can usually put the more fantastical characters in place with a few choice words.

Before Batman Begins, He'd never been portrayed that way in the movies or TV before. As much as I love the animated series, Alfred more often than not just offered wry witticisms, which is fine for Geoffrey in Fresh Prince but Bats needs a little more :).

Caine makes for a great Alfred.

To this day, I still think people are harsh on Holmes in Begins. I think she does a fine job with what she's giving.

I had Batman Begins on in the background the other day and it struck me just how perfect the final scene is. I'd always liked it mainly for the hint of what's to come with with the Joker card but really, it's more than that. The whole scene, from when Batman taps the bat signal, is pitch perfect and feels directly lifted from the comics. Love it.

• Upvote 7

To this day, I still think people are harsh on Holmes in Begins. I think she does a fine job with what she's giving.

Indeed. I think she put in a more intimate performance than Gyllenhaal.

Was a reason ever given for Holmes's absence in TDK? I do recall a lot a Cruise-bitching at the time.

Indeed. I think she put in a more intimate performance than Gyllenhaal.

Was a reason ever given for Holmes's absence in TDK? I do recall a lot a Cruise-bitching at the time.

I remember at the time there was talk of WB being pissed that her new (at the time) relationship with Cruise overshadowed the film that summer so decided to recast which sounds like gossip column filler to me.

Nolan said it was her who turned down the sequel and chose to do another movie instead, Mad Money it seems.

Gyllenhaal did a decent job (again, with what she was given) but I think her arc in TDK would have had more impact if Holmes was still in the role. Rachel Dawes is largely a damsel in distress and Holmes comes across as more vulnerable to me.

But... You knew what I meant, didn't you? And you were just being pedantic.

I thought you were implying that Nolan's apparent popularity was an internet illusion created by a cultish appreciation of him on forums such as this, in absence of evidence to the contrary, and/ or that you completely misunderstood the concept of "cult popularity", such as, say, Joss Whedon maintains, compared with Nolan's obviously more commercially and critically accepted output. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but clearly you are genuinely trolling this thread.

• Upvote 2

I think her arc in TDK would have had more impact if Holmes was still in the role. Rachel Dawes is largely a damsel in distress and Holmes comes across as more vulnerable to me.

Yeah, it was the only one real sour point of TDK -

Didn't feel a damn thing when she bit it.

Third villain in Rises; may be Robin Williams

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/30/a-third-villain-in-the-dark-knight-rises

The story is debunked pretty quickly but he did work with Nolan on Insomnia, it's been a long standing dream of William's to be a Batman villain and the role, Hugo Strange, would let him work his creepy but quiet persona rather than his OTT standard.

I would love this to happen.

Katie Holmes was a bit of a misstep. But he sorted that out.

Also, Jon in general, lol.

Christian Bale was good in, amongst other films:

American Psycho

The Machinist

The Batman films

Rescue Dawn

The Prestige

3:10 to Yuma

I'm not there

He tends to pick some boring roles in bad films and comes off really generic in them though - Terminator Salvation for example.

I just don't get why people have such a hard time with the voice. The guy wants to fight crime as a symbol which strikes fear and dread into his enemies. He dresses up as a fucking bat and flies around with a magic cape and rolls around in a magic tank with a magic bike equipped with magic monster truck wheels. You're all fine with this but he puts on a gruff voice to disguise his identity (and more importantly to add some drama/mystique to the outward appearance of the character he has created, in a bid to make it less identifiable and more symbolic, elemental and fear inducing) and you all have a fit.

The problem is you look upon Batman as normal. Try to imagine in the context of the film where the characters haven't seen ten iterations of Batman before. He's meant to be exceptionally weird and perverse and iconic and symbolic. Joking that he sounds like a werewolf is crazy - that's exactly the point, he's meant to sound like some unholy man bat with a demonic thirst for justice. He's a werebat. It's as crazy a thing to do as slice your cheeks open, slather your face in makeup and go on an evil rampage just for the fucking fun of it.

I don't know why Bale gets all the stick for it either. Nolan is the director. He directs the performances.

He's also brilliant in Empire of the Sun, whether you like the film or not.

Guys, Nolan has actually had multiple villians in both his Batman films: You're forgetting Carmine Falcone in Begins, and Salvatore Maroni. Okay, they're not fantastical ones like Riddler or Penguin, but they're prominent villians nonetheless. For all we know, Hugo Strange could be that kind of villain in this one.

I think people are more worried than the top tier villains won't get the screentime/attention they deserve, which isn't really a problem with sub-villains. But that's still a good point. Personally I'm not worried at all. Nolan is going to do what Nolan consistently does. I can't wait to see his twisted take on catwoman.

That's the thing that I'm wondering. If she's there just to be a high class thief, then I don't really see any point in her being in the story or adding anything of value to the story arc. Whereas if she ends up being a love interest, it would give her more purpose. Maybe Batman considers packing it in because he falls for her or something like that.

• Downvote 1

I really,really don't see this Batman going all goo-eyed over her. If he does, I'll burn the theater down.

Maybe there'll be some canny twist and she's a decoy to find out who Batman really is, sent by the main protagonist or some shit.

This culminates in a roof top chase, Batman knocks her into a swimming pool and quips, "Now that's a wet pussy!"

:hat:

• Upvote 2

That's the thing that I'm wondering. If she's there just to be a high class thief, then I don't really see any point in her being in the story or adding anything of value to the story arc. Whereas if she ends up being a love interest, it would give her more purpose. Maybe Batman considers packing it in because he falls for her or something like that.

If you had any inkling at all of the story then this would be a valid comment. But you don't, so it isn't.

• Downvote 1