rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

Right, so we know that Nolan is on holiday taking a break from things. Given the immense success of the film I imagine WB will attempt to get him to start a third film rather than take time off and make a smaller film, like he did with The Prestige. A lot of reports seem to be really pushing The Riddler as a villain not really based on a great deal.

After the Angelina Jolie/Cher(!) Catwoman rumours came the Johnny Depp Riddler ones. Depp himself said in a radio interview Monday that he think it'd be an interesting character to play. Today Guy Pearce has thrown his hat into the ring, saying that while he normally wouldn't want to play a superhero or super villain, if Christopher Nolan was directing he'd be up for it. Casting must be at least a year away (providing they greenlight a scriptwriter to get going soon) so pretty much everything is ultra-speculation at this point.

I figured I'd start this thread now given how most have seen The Dark Knight. It'll be a good place to hold all the rumours and such without clogging up that thread.

I predict:

-Ben Stiller to play the Riddler.

-Daniel Radcliffe to play Robin.

-Owen Wilson to replace Bale as Batman.

-Paul WS Anderson to direct.

History teaches us nothing.

Right, so we know that Nolan is on holiday taking a break from things. Given the immense success of the film I imagine WB will attempt to get him to start a third film rather than take time off and make a smaller film, like he did with The Prestige. A lot of reports seem to be really pushing The Riddler as a villain not really based on a great deal.

After the Angelina Jolie/Cher(!) Catwoman rumours came the Johnny Depp Riddler ones. Depp himself said in a radio interview Monday that he think it'd be an interesting character to play. Today Guy Pearce has thrown his hat into the ring, saying that while he normally wouldn't want to play a superhero or super villain, if Christopher Nolan was directing he'd be up for it. Casting must be at least a year away (providing they greenlight a scriptwriter to get going soon) so pretty much everything is ultra-speculation at this point.

I figured I'd start this thread now given how most have seen The Dark Knight. It'll be a good place to hold all the rumours and such without clogging up that thread.

Considering how TDK was, who wouldn't be up for it?? :)

I suppose on the one hand, The Dark Knight must have taken up close to three years of his life, what with scripting and such (while I know he didn't write the film he would have been heavily involved I imagine) that perhaps he doesn't want to commit himself for that amount of time again on what will almost certainly have to be a bigger film.

Today Guy Pearce has thrown his hat into the ring, saying that while he normally wouldn't want to play a superhero or super villain, if Christopher Nolan was directing he'd consider it.

how seriously does he take himself? he was in neighbours for christ sake.

two face is still in the game i reckon. or that was the vaguest death scene ever.

I really can't see either Depp or Angelina Jolie getting the roles assuming The Riddler and Catwoman were to appear. Not only do I think they'd be bad choices but Nolan has shown that he'd rather not go for big names and Batman as a franchise is big enough not to need an A-lister driving the whole thing (although you could argue since these films Bale has become one).

Goyer has said in interviews that Nolan is interested in using villains that haven't already appeared in one of the films. Whilst it could be a red herring I wouldn't be totally shocked if we didn't see someone like Deadshot get the go ahead over the more established characters.

I'd be quite happy if Nolan was to make a smaller film inbetween TDK and the next Batman movie. Not only will we (hopefully) get a good film in the interim but it also means a lot of the silly speculation might die down for a year.

Deadshot isn't a Batman villain per se, so he's a really odd choice if it was. He be under pressure to include at least a big name Batman villain by the studios. I could see Harley Quinn as some minor criminal being inspired by the Joker. However, it has to be someone who's actually clever and cunning, someone who could challenge Batman on a physical and mental level. Black Mask would be ideal, or Bane.

Catwoman would be stupid because I don't want to watch a Ocean's 11 Batman film with Batman chasing some thief.

Deadshot isn't a Batman villain per se, so he's a really odd choice if it was.

Not that odd really. Batman is on the run at the end of TDK so it isn't too much of a leap to assume there will be a price on his head. Plus the parallels between the lives of Deadshot and Batman feeds into what Nolan was doing in the first two films. He probably isn't a big enough name to be the headline villain but I could see him playing a part in the third.

I reckon Nolan could cast anyone he wanted into any villain role. Given how successful he was with Ledger in The Dark Knight I reckon WB would give him free reign to cast Rob Schneider as Mr Freeze if Nolan said it was what he wanted.

Not that odd really. Batman is on the run at the end of TDK so it isn't too much of a leap to assume there will be a price on his head. Plus the parallels between the lives of Deadshot and Batman feeds into what Nolan was doing in the first two films. He probably isn't a big enough name to be the headline villain but I could see him playing a part in the third.

But it is kinda odd though even on TDK because I was wondering why is he appearing in the Batman universe, he doesn't really belong there but makes sense like you said.

Catwoman would be stupid because I don't want to watch a Ocean's 11 Batman film with Batman chasing some thief.

I don't read the comics, so maybe I'm way off here (or completely redundant), but I think Nolan could do an interesting take on Catwoman in his "realistic" style. You could have her as some kind of avenger of rapes and so on, so ostensibly a hero, but she kills them (or savagely mutilates them or something), which Batman would obviously be against, so you could have a good conflict of fighting bad guys, but can you hold back from total brutality even when what they've done is so dispicable? Anyway, it could be interesting.

As long as she isn't some slinky leather-clad temptress thing, that would be completely ridiculous in the gritty TDK world.

I hope in the next Batman film batman finds out that the man who he thought had killed his father hadn't actually killed his father. Also an evil Batman appears and teams up with the man who really did kill his father. At the end the evil Batman dies, while the man who killed his father cries a single tear of remorse before disappearing into the sunset

Nolan has constantly said that, apart from the Joker, they want to use characters that haven't already been in films. That rules out Catwoman, Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy, The Penguin and The Riddler.

From the major characters left, you have Bane, Clayface, The Ventriloquist, Deadshot, Manbar, Killer Croc/Moth, Hugo Strange and Anarky.

Of all of those, the only ones who I can really see fitting in to the world that Nolan has created are Deadshot and Anarky. All of the others are either too fantastical, too obscure or too weird to actually work. If he wants to stick to that plan, he's giving himself a hard time of it. I'd much rather see what they can do with The Penguin.

Nolan has constantly said that, apart from the Joker, they want to use characters that haven't already been in films. That rules out Catwoman, Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy, The Penguin and The Riddler.

From the major characters left, you have Bane, Clayface, The Ventriloquist, Deadshot, Manbar, Killer Croc/Moth, Hugo Strange and Anarky.

(image removed)

Did you forget? :)

As much as people might hate the idea, I'd like to see Dick Grayson introduced. Not as Robin though, just setting up the character for a possible future installment.

Edited by Napole0n
IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO MALWARE WARNING

I'd like to see something not wildly dissimilar to the Knightfall story (only good, and without the sidekicks) to show the other element of Batman that the current films haven't yet plumbed - his stubborn drive to keep going. So we've seen how and why he's Batman in Begins, TDK showed us where he draws moral lines about stuff, and made him cross them them, and now we'd get to see him at a low ebb, still fighting on against *some terrible threat* that seems to win at some point.

Bane as in the comics would probably be a bit much, but something like that.

Given the way that TDK ended it's crying out for a conclusion; you just can't leave poor Batman like that. And surely the next one should be called 'The Dark Knight Returns' or 'Hunt the Dark Knight', even if it isn't based on the Frank Miller story.

As long as she isn't some slinky leather-clad temptress thing, that would be completely ridiculous in the gritty TDK world.

What? :) I bet there are currently hundreds of hot Hollywood actresses begging to wear a ridiculously tight catsuit to play that role, and you want to deny me the pleasure of looking at them? A pox on thee, sir!

• Upvote 1

That also rules out Two-Face though?

bane.jpg

Did you forget? :)

As much as people might hate the idea, I'd like to see Dick Grayson introduced. Not as Robin though, just setting up the character for a possible future installment.

That wasn't Bane though.

Ventriloquist possibly?

I really like the concept of Ventriloquist but did you know the character only first appeared in the comics in 1988? It's really odd as he's a modern villain with a timeless gimmick that fits in perfectly in the Batman Universe. Feels like he's always been a member of the rogues' gallery

That also rules out Two-Face though?

In the script and in the novelisation of the film it is made explicitly clear that the fall at the end of TDK kills him. Of course that doesn't categorically rule him out of the next film but I'm not sure Nolan is that cheap in magically bringing him back (especially as he served his function by dying in the film).

That wasn't Bane though.

It wasn't?

Or is this one of those hilarious beard thingys?

The Joker didn't die at the end of the Dark Knight, and the character is known for his ability to lbreak out of the Asylum at will, so it's possible he could make a return, I don't think many actors could fill Heaths boot and I wouldn't want to see him as a main antagonist again though.

I like the idea of Catwoman, but not as the main villian. Johnny Depp as the Ridler sounds good to me, if anyone can live upto Heaths performance as the villian of the rebooted films, it's him. I'd like too see Jolie as Catwoman too, but this is probably down to the fact that i've been having wet dreams about her in a leather catsuit since I hit puberty.

I hope they avoid Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy and Bane (as the main villain) though, especially Mr Freeze, the idea of someone needing to be kept at zero tempertures and lugging around a hefty freeze gun seems abit unrealistic for Nolans batman films.