Nequests

The Punk Thread

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, which seems a bit odd. I think Punk tends to get swallowed up by the Metal thread, but loads of the stuff I wanna post about is a bit inappropriate for that place.

Post your Punk stuff here, I suppose.

I'll start us off.

Gray Matter - Food for Thought

4056820dd7a09400ccc2e010._AA201_.L.jpg

From 1984 on Dischord records. Kinda garage hardcore with an amazing cover of 'I am the Walrus'.

Brutal Knights - Feast of Shame

20070317181817brutalknight-feast-lp.jpg

Canadian bratty garage punk band songs about bikini diets and perfect buffets. Stupid but fun. "I wake up up in the morning, and use wasabi mouthwash" indeed.

Mika Miko - C.Y.S.L.A.B.F. (2006)

MikaMiko-CyslabeLP.jpg

All girl noise gang that use telephones as mics, are into Flux of Pink Indians and have Crass tatoos (one them showed me hers). Longest song clocks in at two minutes. Vocals kinda remind me of The Slits or Delta 5.

• Downvote 1

Recently bought this:

300x300.jpg

'S pretty good. Features Chris from Propagandhi on guest vocals on one track.

To The Lions offer some straight-up hardcore and very good it is too.

Currently loving:

Zeke

Coliseum

NOFX (even after all these years!)

Aus-Rotten

...and many more.

Oooh! Good thread. :lol:

Just this minute I rediscovered my copy of Career Suicide's Attempted Suicide album.....which I hadn't actually listened to for some reason.

career_suicide-attempted_suicide.jpg

Gonna have a listen now as I really like the EPs of theirs I have. I just like their (rather obvious) 80s hardcore influenced sound. I could do with more bands like that....but it always takes me forever to discover anything.

I'll start by checking out some of the bands/albums mentioned here...

My general punk fixes come from Bad Religion, The Vandals, Toy Dolls, Flogging Molly, Billy No Mates/Snuff and AFI. I'm not into the hardcore stuff really. I like the melodic, bubblegummy kind of stuff. Not that Bad Religion are light and fluffy really, but I like a reeeeeeeeeally good melody and a hook.

I'm generally like that, I do tend to prefer the more melodic punk/hardcore (Bad Religion, Ignite, old Pennywise etc) these days, I've been listening to Rise Against quite a bit this week and remembering how much I like them. When I was about 15/16 I listened to much heavier stuff.

But yeah...sometimes some furious, fast, pissed off sounding, screechy hardcore (that sounds like it's been recorded in a portaloo) is what is needed. :lol:

Most Precious Blood are fucking awesome, as are Walls of Jericho.

i knew a guy who was/is in a few Florida based indy hardcore bands that are well worth checking out too, Dead Weight, Dancefloor Justice and Target Nevada being the ones with the largest recorded outputs.

other than that it's gotta be the older standards, some still ripping it up today. Sick Of It All, Cro-Mags, Black Flag, old Misfits, Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc.

there's a couple of really bloody good local (south coast) hardcore bands i have seen too, Snub and Our Time Down Here.

Dude, Dead weight are fucking awesome. Love that band!

Anyone here a fan of Avail or Ann beretta? Avail are probably my all time favourite punk band. Mixing up hardcore speed and aggression with ludicrously catchy choruses and great vocals

Anyone after some really noisy Jesus Lizard type stuff could do worse than checking out Pissed Jeans. Truly amazing, howling punk dudes.

Another thing I've been spinning a lot here is 'Dad' by Nomeansno. It's a catchy little number about domestic violence, yet brilliantly walks a thin line between being pretty funny and kinda scary. The rest of their stuff is weird but equally interesting.

On the poppier side of things, does anyone like No Fun At All? I tried not to like them, what with them being a skate punk band from Sweden and everything, but they're actually really good. 'Beat 'em Down' and 'Master Celebrator' are total funtime songs.

They do have the worst artwork ever, though:

206822922.jpg

What?

Another thing I've been spinning a lot here is 'Dad' by Nomeansno. It's a catchy little number about domestic violence, yet brilliantly walks a thin line between being pretty funny and kinda scary. The rest of their stuff is weird but equally interesting.

Oh man, NoMeansNo are awesome. Like you said, very weird....slightly fucked in fact but great. I love their Sex Mad album in particular (which contains Dad). Oh and the You Kill Me EP.

I'm going to have a listen to them now.

oh yes and What Slayde Says' also contains the best line ever about brothers/long term friends etc

i guess i hate him, no, that's not really true

he's not completely bad, sometimes he'll crack a joke or two

i guess i've grown accustomed to his funny ways

it's not his fault that he was made that way

Yey, Nomeansno fans! I have Sex Mad, so which LP should I get next?

I'm glad I started this thread now. I thought it might die on its arse a bit.

Does anyone like Electro Hippies? They pretty much started the whole Grindcore thing before Napalm Death appeared and defined the genre. I prefer them to be honest, and really, really wanna be in some horrible little crust band. It'd make life exciting again.

Some Girls are pretty good. Not amazingly fussed about them, but that LP is one I go back to now and then. Are they still together?

I just found a couple of Ex Models records under my bed. They made weirdo no-wave that sounds like ADD kids fighting with their instruments. Zoo Pychology is their best.

24220.jpg

I once saw them play in Nottingham and it was pretty much just one chord and some yelping. Maybe they forgot how to play their songs, but it was brilliant anyway.

Is metalcore going to be as frowned upon here as it is in the Metal Thread?

I'm similarly unsure of whether or not crossover stuff like DRI belongs in here, but I reckon this place scan accommodate anything really. If you consider it punk, post it.

Does anyone like Electro Hippies? They pretty much started the whole Grindcore thing before Napalm Death appeared and defined the genre. I prefer them to be honest, and really, really wanna be in some horrible little crust band. It'd make life exciting again.

I don't know a great deal about grindcore (and haven't listened to Electro Hippies before) as I've found it to be possibly a bit too abrasive at times...the speed is fine but I am craving that bit of vocal melody. I like Siege's Drop Dead album a lot though. They're grindcoreish right?...

There's a lot of bands I like that though who were/are heavily influenced by grindcore bands (Infest, Extortion, Septic Death etc)....most of them seem deemed as "powerviolence" bands according to last.fm. What a naff name! :wub: I can never keep up with what's what to be honest.

I don't know a great deal about grindcore (and haven't listened to Electro Hippies before) as I've found it to be possibly a bit too abrasive at times...the speed is fine but I am craving that bit of vocal melody. I like Siege's Drop Dead album a lot though. They're grindcoreish right?...

There's a lot of bands I like that though who were/are heavily influenced by grindcore bands (Infest, Extortion, Septic Death etc)....most of them seem deemed as "powerviolence" bands according to last.fm. What a naff name! :wub: I can never keep up with what's what to be honest.

Electro Hippies aren't really very abrasive at all. Much less so than a band like Seige, even. They have a sense of humour (one of their songs has kazoos on it) and their vocals are just shouty rather than deathgrowls from the fiery pits of hell or something. Try 'Play Fast or Die!'; it's a great record.

A few of friends and I went through a phase of loudly requesting Siege songs at every punk gig we'd go to. I think a few locals got sick of after a while.

"SIEGE!"

My friend spraypainted it on a bridge n'all, the daft sod.

Yey, Nomeansno fans! I have Sex Mad, so which LP should I get next?

I have been listening to the NoMeansNo alter-egos Hanson Brothers recently. I'm a big fan of theirs (Sabrina might be one of my favourite punk songs) but I'm not sure if you'd like it as much as NoMeansNo. It's all Ramones-core songs about hockey. you can catch them on tour in Europe later this year http://www.nomeanswhatever.com/tour.html

This is what i've been listening to recently:

http://www.myspace.com/bannerpilot Their Pass The Poison EP was great, and what I hear of the new album on myspace is good

http://www.myspace.com/retardedpunkrock Italian punk rock! i'm not such a big fan of their older stuff, but the Gambling on rock 7" i got last year was rocking!

http://www.myspace.com/lemuria I first heard this band on a split 7" with the Ergs (who are also quite good)

http://www.myspace.com/teamstray : i am listening to their Gender Studies album alot recently, nothing original bu quite poppy and upbeat.

I've also been listening through all the Lookout! etc releases that got me into punk in the 90s :wub:

Some Girls are pretty good. Not amazingly fussed about them, but that LP is one I go back to now and then. Are they still together?

Nah they've gone now. JP meantioned it at the same time the blood brothers split up.

Hey man the only good punk is a dead punk

Good thread,here is a couple of my favs from the past.

Firehose:Ragin Full On

raginfulloncz5.jpg

Government Issue:Crash

0b8em7.jpg

Bl'ast:The Power of expression

blastexpression10as8.jpg

Fugazi:

898800383771af75534mw3.jpg

Pailhead:Trait

wax47lyo4.jpg